October 20, 2014 | 2182 users online

Hair Color - Redken - Shades EQ

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/11/2012 9:21:00 AM More reviews by jokasta

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I just colored my hair at home using 08CB Golden Topaz ( shade discontinued ) to revive my golden /copper hair and it came out great! I have long hair but thin and I used half the bottle with 30ml developer which was just enough to cover all my hair. Applied on dry hair, left it on for 30 minutes covered with a plastic bag to keep it warm, then 5 minutes to cool uncovered, rinsed and shampooed. The color is natural and vibrant, but maybe just a tad darker with than I would have liked but this is expected with shades eq and it will wash off to a lighter tone eventually. This is by far my favorite shade for a natural warm redhead look but sadly it has been discontinued so I will be trying 1oz of 08WG Golden Apricot, half orange kicker and half Papaya on my next attempt so will update.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/17/2012 11:30:00 PM More reviews by strangechild

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

03V + Violet kicker is my color, yo!
Constantly on the lookout for a violet based color that is actually visible on the hair. Every color brand has an RV but my beef with them is that there is too much red and not enough violet. I hate that this color is only demi-permanent as it fades so quickly in my hair (fine/very oily, I usually end up shampooing daily) but I keep coming back to it because there simply is nothing else that even comes close to being as pretty as this.

As a plus, it does leave your hair very shiny and has a pleasant smell. The low volume developer used equals less damage and better overall condition of the hair after coloring. The price is great and as a liquid, it goes a long way. Overall Redken is a great company to go with if you're unsure about color or just plain don't know what you're doing.. there are tons of color charts, videos and formula recommendations on their website.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/15/2012 12:17:00 PM More reviews by lolawants

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I used Redken Shades EQ for the first time yesterday but I have been dyeing my own hair for about 5 years, with a couple different hair colors, mainly Ion Demi.

First of all, I am about a natural level 7 with warm tones and like to go about a level darker and to stay warm. I used a formula (rec by Miamoore) for a warm/rich tones: 9NB Irish Creme, 7NB Chestbnut, 7CB Spicestone with equal part Clear. I also added a tiny bit of 06RB Cherry Cola for a bit more red.

It turned out nice--definitely not too dark for me much more like a glaze of color and it fixed my roots, which were growing in. I was concentrating on my roots, but I brought it all the way through to my almost boob length hair to the ends just because I wasn't sure about the color match. It colored my hair super evenly too.

Next time I might add less clear to get a stronger color? Not sure because I do love the shine. And I will probably play around with the colors... This is a nice medium dark auburn color, but I feel like it's the color I always end up with.

Post coloring my hair feels a *tad* dry--it's shiny but a little dry anyway.... Like post-coloring coated. And as I was applying the color it was less conditioning feeling than Ion Demi. Also, much more watery and runny. I was using a brush to apply and it got everywhere.

Overall I would definitely use this color again because it has such a wide range of shades and options. Oh and I ordered from sleekhair.com (not affiliated) and my order came super quickly!

rated 1 of 5 on 11/23/2011 5:52:00 PM More reviews by trulls

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Shades used: Butter Cream (09GB), Golden Apricot

Current shade: Golden blonde with some platinum highlights

Shade desired: What girl doesn't dream of beautiful Botticelli "Birth of Venus" hair, that glowing, warm, golden blonde hair with just a healthy hint of rose gold? Oh, I do know a lot of them that don't. But I did, and as it turns out, I still do.

Research: By now, I could have worked at Redken. There isn't a color chart belonging to that company I haven't looked in to. I've read hundreds of reviews, making sure it would't end up ashy or green or purple or blue. I mixed thoroughly and correctly, and applied it as recommended.

Outcome: Have you ever seen a homeless person, waking up after a long drug-induced sleep in her own feces? Well, there you have it. It came out a deep, ultra dark ashy brown, almost black, with an unhealthy tinge of pond green. Keep in mind that I used the lightest shades offered.

Aftermath: With twenty-something harsh washes behind me, I can safely say that it has staying power. I've used baking soda, chelating shampoo, heated oil, super hot water, regular soap and conditioner, and while it is not as dark anymore, it sure is unflattering.

Bottom line: The scissors and I look at each other with want-to in our eyes, but at least for me, baglady brown is better than Bruce Willis bald.

27 out of 44 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/18/2011 3:37:00 PM More reviews by MeliCash

I love this stuff. I blow dry & flat iron my hair almost every day but you would hardly know that thanks to Shades EQ because my hair looks so shiny and conditioned. My hair is naturally around a Level 6 and pulls A LOT of red tones, so I use a oz of Blue Kicker with 1B Onyx & 3N Espresso to get a very cool, very beautiful tone of brown-black (more on the black side though). Supposedly the Blue Kicker is discontinued or at least it was at a beauty supply store in the area that requires a license... it's still plentiful online though. It knocks out any red tone in my hair like no other product I've tried.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/3/2011 2:06:00 AM More reviews by happywoman28

Age: Unknown Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Thanks again MUA reviewers! I was very happy with Naturcolor but tried this after reading the reviews here and won't go back to it. This stuff rocks.
It makes my hair shine like it never has in my life. And the colors are amazingly gorgeous, unlike any color I've ever tried. I left it on for 40 minutes and only after the sixth shampoo ---I use Wen- did I notice it starting to fade. Since I only shampoo twice a week, this lasted a month.
This really improves the texture, taking my hair from frizzy and dry to smooth and shiney. I have always been a blond but tried a darker shade of this, a light brown, and it looks fabulous. The developer that goes with this is only 2-3% peroxide so I don't mind coloring with this more often.
Plus it covered grey much better than Naturcolor. This is the best there is.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/13/2011 1:49:00 AM More reviews by eshanon

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have been highlighting my hair all my life and have never really had my hair natural, so from time to time I try to go brown and its a big fail every time. (I highlight to a light blonde). Recently, I tried to go brown because I just get very tired of the damage highlighting does to my hair and also the dark roots. I went to a professional who should have known better than to put dark chestnut blonde/light brown on my porous hair (I have since learned you need to flll pale blonde hair first before going brown) and my hair turned weird tones. Then the same person kept trying to fix my hair and my hair ended up a multitude of weird colors and fried big time. Heartbroken, because my blonde hair was long and pretty before this mess, I went to another stylist and asked to somehow cover my mess with a glaze. She used Redken Shades (Saffron mixed with Vanilla Bean) and thank GOD. We also did a protein treatment. The color was not my top choice but we needed to use something very neutral to just bring my hair into normalcy again. The color went a little darker than anticipated but it was a good thing. It has been 2 weeks and has faded (as expected due to it being a demi), but my hair color is still consistent. I can even see my blonde highlights coming back in a very even way. I am going to glaze again soon with the Redken Shades but a different color and will repost. This product totally saved my hair and I'm so relieved!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/16/2010 1:36:00 AM More reviews by koo104

My hair dresser has been using it on me for years. He puts me under the dryer for 40 minutes, double the recommended time to seal the color in. It usually lasts 4-6 weeks before I need a touch up. I can push it to 8 weeks.
I use 9AA & 8C for a perfect light red, like the Coco model. I get tons of compliments and everyone thinks it is my natural color. You own color shows through so it looks really natural.
Now that my hair dresser works 2 hours from my home. He taught me to do it myself. 1 time it's all over the next time I touch up roots and do a gloss over the rest. My hair is in really good condition. I wash my hair 2 times a week. ( I have wavy/curly hair).
This is great stuff.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/12/2010 10:20:00 PM More reviews by yossarian

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I'm a natural redhead and wanted something not too dramatic that would help blend out my grays and perk up my color. I've never colored my hair before but have helped my mom over the years to do her hair. Was considering henna but after talking to the folks at the beauty supply store was convinced to try EQ.

Looked through the color book and the consensus was "cayenne" would be a safe choice. Purchased some shower caps, sectioning clips, and used some gloves I had at home. The process was super easy. Washed and towel-dried my hair, carefully applied the EQ (mixed 1:1 with the developer in a squeeze bottle), popped on a cap and waited 15/20 minutes. I actually rinsed a few minutes early because I was so nervous. I followed with a deep conditioner only as suggested by the beauty supply store (shampoo only before).

(FYI purchased everything at Ray Beauty on 8th Ave in NYC. No frills but they service many who work on Broadway and they really know their stuff. Been there over 50 years. They couldn't have been more helpful. http://raybeauty.net/)

I can't tell you how pleasantly surprised I was with this product. My color looks brighter, my white hairs are blended in and my hair is beautifully shiny and healthy looking. Have received more than a few compliments and am only 3 days out. Can't wait to see how this color lasts but so far I am very happy with the results. continued >>

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2010 2:39:00 PM More reviews by lchoe

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is the best demi or semi-permanent hair color I have found for my hair (I am Korean, my hair is black, silky straight). I just had my hair colored professionally with Redken Shades EQ in Black (the blackest black) and I am extremely happy and everyone (strangers and people I know) have been oohing ahhing however beautiful, rich, glossy, silky, conditioned my hair is. I am extremely satisfied and relieved I used this product.

I only need to cover my greys and as my hair is 5" past my shoulder and cannot afford damage with the long length, I do not use color products w/ ammonia and only have minimal peroxide. In the past I used Goldwell (very good but Redken is more shiny, color a bit more rich and more multi dimensional) and tried Wella once (similar to Goldwell, but color was more flat and not as shiny) until I was shown the light when my hairdresser used Redken Shades EQ on my hair 3 years ago. Not only is the color gorgeous, natural looking but it grows out beautifully. I had my hair colored professionally with this at a salon for $60 (very reasonable for NYC) but it's usually $85 at Bumble & Bumble (single process). The color lasts for 3 - 6 months but grows out beautifully and naturally that I only need to color my hair once a year. I use Clairol Root Touch Up Kit in Black (excellent & super easy to use)) every few months for the grey roots.

I once strayed 2 years ago and had my colored (semi-permanent) at Aveda and it was a disaster. My hair was duller, flatter, and the greys weren't even colored. I was so scared to get my hair colored after that so I stuck to Clairol's Root Touch Kit in black. After 2 years, I realized my hair was 2-3 different shades of black to dark brown. After the Redken color yesterday, I am relieved that I am over my trauma and ready to have my hair colored at least every year again. Try this color - trust me, your hair will be gorgeous and you are worth it :-).

I am 44, have fine (but lots of it) long (5" past shoulders), black, stick straight, silky Korean hair. Slightly oily scalp with dry ends. I use: Frederic Fekkai More Shampoo, Kerastase Bain Miroir 1 & 2 Shampoos (my 2nd rinse staples), Kerastase masques (MasquIntense, Chroma Reflect, UV Defense), Joico (K-Pak deep conditioners), Redken (Extreme Conditioner, All Soft).

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No