October 23, 2014 | 1589 users online

Eye Shadow - Maybelline - Expertwear Eye Shadow Quad in Mocha Motion

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/3/2012 8:57:00 PM More reviews by lilblacksky

I also bought the newer version of this (with the brown 'liner' color at the bottom)
The first word that I can think of is 'UNPIGMENTED'.
I bought this so I could easily touch up throughout long work days. (Plus, I like coffee.) But man, this is so sheer, by the time you've built up enough to show on your lid, everything's blended into a greyish brown muddle. For reference, I have pretty pale/light skin (MAC NW10~NC15, KvD Light 42)
I do like the finishes of the darker colors, kind of a satin-matte with a slight sheen. But the lack of pigmentation is a major kill factor for me. I guess if you want a very work-appropriate subtle palette this could work for you. You never have to worry about applying too heavily with this.
I will never repurchase in a million years though!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/12/2011 11:22:00 PM More reviews by peggy1234

The colors look so pretty in the maybelline eye shadows.
Now If they only were pigmented that would be a big help. It seems like the quality just is not there and I find I do not use them.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/19/2011 1:30:00 PM More reviews by PrettyDeath

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I have recently purchased this product with the new layout, (the one that has a darker color for lining as opposed to the slightly lighter outer corner color) and I really like it. It's definitely subtle, not bright or super shimmery/sparkly, but it still shows up well-defined on my fair olive complexion. It goes on smoothly and shows up after just one sweep of product, but I usually do two since I need a decent amount of color to not look dead, lol. I adore the lid and the crease color. I also like the highlighter color because it's not as frosty as some palette highlighters are. It's not chalky at all. I rarely use the liner color, and when I do it's not for liner, I usually use it on top of the crease color, just in the outer corner. All in all I like this palette because it give me a natural smokey eye. If you're looking for a more bold, pigmented and/or sparkly smokey eye, then this is not the palette for you.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/9/2011 10:55:00 PM More reviews by makeupjunkie35

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

First off, let me say that I have a ton of these quads. But, since I have tried other brands like MAC, I have become accustomed to highly pigmented eyeshadow that is a dream to apply and blend. MAC takes mere seconds for application, while Maybelline quads take much more time to pack on, and re-pack/blend to reach the desired color intensity... and still they are not as vibrant as I prefer. With that said, I do like the crease shade in this quad. I have no idea how to describe it, except to say that it is a pale beige/greyish color. I have fair skin with neutral/yellow undertones -NC15-20ish for reference, and wear Estee Lauder DW fndt in Bone 17 1W1 which is in-between NC15/NC20, but with a lot of yellow. My favorite way to wear this crease shade is on the lid layered over MAC Shroom, or, Shroom on the lid with it in the crease. (As you probably know, Shroom does not have the uumph equaled to, nor is as frosty/shimmery as say Phloof or Dazzlelight, but, it is perfect for daytime at the office, in pairing/layering colors over it). I also like this crease shade for the lower lash line to add subtle definition that compliments my super fair complexion and hazel/green eyes. I admit, that I don't reach for it everyday, but when I do, it works for me. However, due to the fact that MAC has so many awesome neutrals, I will not repurchase if/when I finish the pan.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/21/2011 2:49:00 PM More reviews by kitkatndan

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

i really like this eyeshadow quad because the back of the case shows me how to apply it for different looks, such as subtle, casual, classic, or dramatic.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/11/2011 1:09:00 AM More reviews by staci01

I've not purchased anything from Maybelline in years but a grocery store was going out of business and all their cosmetics were half off so I thought I'd give this quad a shot. Looks gorgeous in the pan but when applied even with primer there is poor color payoff. What drew me to this quad was the smokey taupe shade (3 crease) as I'm a sucker for taupes. Not impressed as the colors have shimmer but that barely shows up and as much as you pile on the shadows the color hardly intensifies at all. This quad looks nice but comes up lacking and dull. I hate to say that since taupes and creams are the safest, and some would say boring, shadow colors out there but to a taupe lover like me I'm very disappointed. Not sure I'll buy anything from Maybelline again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/4/2011 11:05:00 PM More reviews by Christinaann5

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

i like maybelline quads and this is a pretty good one. the stylish smokes are by far better but i like mocha motion bc of the neutrals in it that i typically use separately to add to other shadows. im pale so most colors show on me anyway. i enjoy being able to use any four of the shades as as lid or crease colors. not as chalky as some of their quads pretty decent pigmentation and the blend very well. i hope maybellines new versions are better. the changed the look so this is a review of the older packaging since i havent tried the new ones. i do have a top three quad list and this one is up there but not the best but i cant complain bc i use it quite a bit. i think theyre alot better than what people have said the shades it comes with are to me as follows:
brow bone- a matte cream color great matte for brow bone i love it & use it alot w/ other looks looks like mac vanilla or orb
lid- a milk chocolate w/ red undertones a bit of shimmer but it dont go on lid i love this color for my crease its the best i find it looks like mac texture or kid
crease- a darker gray w/ purple undertone slight shimmer but dont go on shimmery i love itfor outer corner or smokey eyes looks like mac omega
outer corner- a darker brown matte def a great contour color i find it may be close to mac sable
i may not be right bout mac look a likes but i find its is a great quad esp if ur in need of matte shades. i love it for that fact for mostly anymore i dont want a lot of shimmer anywhere only seldom so its def a great buy esp on a bogo or sale. i love these quads & i use em alot. im glad i had these when i 1st started getting into makeup bc it helped me learn color placement etc. i may just re buy esp to see how the new quads are like!

rated 2 of 5 on 1/4/2011 11:02:00 PM More reviews by menatasha

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I didn't actually buy this product, but my cousin owns it & she's new @ the art of applying makeup so she asked me to do her eyes. It's not very pigmented & it doesn't last very long. The quality is very poor but the price is good. I don't recommend it. My dad always said "you get what you pay for."

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/4/2011 10:44:00 PM More reviews by mellymel11

I purchased this quad because I want a neutral assortment of eyeshadows. It has a grayish taupe and two brownish taupe and a light cream color. The color payoff is terrible even with a primer. You can't distingish one color from the other. Would not purchase again.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/22/2010 1:15:00 PM More reviews by misanders

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Like all maybelline eyeshadows, I have to wear a primer for the colors to really show on me. When I do these show up and stay all day. The problem I have is the colors are ugly. On me they just look dirty. I have brown eyes, with a light to med complexion. There are other quads that I like much better. Would not repurchase.