December 20, 2014 | 1625 users online

Powder - Laura Mercier - Mineral Powder SPF 15

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/26/2014 6:23:00 PM More reviews by kmichael

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I've only tried a couple of mineral powders but I think I might have to give up. I like the fact that this didn't irritate my sensitive skin, but that's about it.

BareMinerals was super-drying and heavy on me, and broke me out. SilkNaturals looked really cakey and felt itchy. I figured I'd try LM's version to try and achieve that nice sheer-matte finish with just a little bit of coverage for my trouble spots and redness. The good news: it didn't dry me out at all and I was able to find a color match right off the bat -- the lightest one was a little too dark for me in winter, but it's perfect for summertime.

The bad news: it "gave" me pores. My skin is not even close to oily and my pores are, thankfully, pretty small. However, with this stuff, my pores were more emphasized than if I were wearing no makeup at all. I tried it without moisturizer underneath and it was better, but still pretty pore-y. I've attempted every technique and brush type known to man and I just can't get it to smooth out. If there's a learning curve to MMU, I've either missed it by a mile or my skin type is just not compliant with mmu formulations.

I guess I could use it with a primer, but that kind of defeats the purpose of an easy, light, one-step process. So this powder has been demoted to my concealer-setting powder in summertime.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/20/2014 12:37:00 AM More reviews by lillyalice

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I reviewed this after the 2nd day i wore it and gave it 5 lippies, as I thought it was outstanding. After 2 weeks my skin has broken out and I am now noticing this powder accents pores. I never have even noticed pores on my face before i used this foundation.....This powder really accentuates them!

Im so disappointed as it does give a beautiful finish except for the pore enhancing, and its also a tad too pearly shimmer. (even used with primers)

I have used estee lauder double wear powder for years and its been my holy grail, dont know why i though i was ever going to find better, i will be going back to my estee lauder tomorrow.

If your skin can handle this product, then im sure its a beautiful product for some people. My skin is not overly sensitive, and I couldnt handle this a day longer...would not
recommend unless your skin handles anything you slap on it!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/11/2014 10:19:00 AM More reviews by Songbird222

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This is my daily foundation. It does not oxidize and turn orange; the color is a perfect match for my skin; it has fantastic buildable coverage; and looks completely natural. It's not cakey, and a little bit goes a long way. It's expensive, but it lasts so long it's totally worth it. Non-comedogenic and safe for acne prone skin. I love this foundation!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/13/2014 6:59:00 PM More reviews by Uletbulu

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I like this product. It's a bit pricey but I do believe that high-end foundation is unlikely to oxidize, which was one of my biggest problem with other drugstore foundation. And really, this product doesn't oxidize. It's easy to apply with kabuki brush. If I want more coverage, I apply it more. But the max coverage it can do didn't give me medium to full coverage. I still can see my acne scars, they are just not red like when I didn't wear this product. I usually use this over my moustouriser. It shines at my face because I hear this product contain crushed pearl. It is not matte. But I think it makes my face glowing and look younger. Even though after few hours my face still get oily and I have to blot it. And this product doesn't make me break out.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/1/2014 1:04:00 AM More reviews by FaceofMaleah

I've now come to the conclusion that Laura Mercier face products and myself are just not meant to be. They just never work for me and this mineral powder regrettably, was not an exception. I bought this mineral powder cause my favourite youtuber, Estée from essiebutton raves about this powder and we like a lot of the same face products so I thought I'd give this a go. I bought it for $42+ tax at Sephora in Canada in the shade Soft Porcelain. The shade selection for fair skinned girls has to be the best thing about this powder. I rarely find foundations that are light enough for my porcelain skin in the winter and this one matches it perfectly. First off, the packaging sucks. I cannot believe that for $42, Laura Mercer didn't put this powder in a smoked glass jar, but instead put it in smoked plastic. If Revlon can turn profit putting their products in plastic jars, so can Laura Mercier- no excuses. The next thing which doesn't work about this powder is application. As with every face product I test, I try applying it and using it in every way known to mankind as I did with this one as well. Water based primer, silicone based primer, no primer, 4 different moisturizers, kabuki brush, stippling brush, beauty blender, paddle brush, round kabuki, flat kabuki, angled kabuki, I could just not get this stuff to not apply super patchy with the first few times resulted in me using way more product than was necessary. Now when it is on my face for the first hour in the areas it did apply evenly to, the powder looks beautiful. It provides me with medium coverage, gives me skin the most gorgeous radiance finish- it looks completely airbrushed and my dry, dead, flaking skin looks healthy for once! But literally an hour later, it is mostly gone and the little that remains of the powder has settled in to my smile lines and girl, I'm only 17, this should not be happening to a baby faced, wrinkle- free teen. I tried the powder on my mom just to add a bit more coverage to her liquid foundation and it settled in to all the lines on her face within a matter of minutes. Yikes.... I wouldn't say that this powder has no redeeming qualities because the porcelain shades and the finish of this powder are completely flawless but I could not for the life of me, get it to apply evenly or last. This powder seems to have clearly worked for quite a few people so don't lose complete faith in it after reading this review but it didn't work for me and I will be going back to Sephora for a refund.

4 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 4/13/2014 8:53:00 AM More reviews by karensmua

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Firstly, does anyone else find that this sits in fine lines? I haven't had this problem with Bare Minerals but this does seem to accentuate fine lines on me. Having said that, I do prefer the coverage it gives, especially over my melasma; I barely have to conceal it after applying the powder. And ignoring the fine lines issue I'm having, the overall effect is definitely far more dewy and natural than bare minerals which always looks good when I apply it but seems to oxidise and turn me into an oompah loompah as the day wears on! I should also add that on the second day of wearing this I was asked for ID buying alcohol (you have to be 18 here in the uk). The girl who asked for my ID was probably 20/21 years old and her face was a picture when she studied my ID and realised I was actually 36! So maybe I'm being a bit paranoid about the lines....

As far as application goes, this is really easy to blend on my face. I did find that the perfectionist in me wasn't happy with the initial application and so I found myself layering more on. But purely by chance, my phone rang after the first application the other day, which meant I went back to the mirror after about 5 minutes and found that the product seemed to have settled into my skin better and didn't require that second application that I'd been doing. So now I just put one application on and then wait for the magic to happen!

As far as packaging goes, this is also much better than Bare Minerals. A nice big pot that you can really swirl the product in, and the twist lid doesn't cake up and jam like the bare minerals does.

I have said that I will buy this product again, and I would, despite the fine line's issue I'm having. I think I just need to amp up my moisturising a bit - I tend to suffer from dry skin on my face and I think it's just getting worse with age. But despite my dry skin, this does leave a really dewy/glowy look on my face. I actually thought it was making my skin oily when I first started using it - which pleased me no-end (dry skin sucks!), but then I realised that it just gives me a luminous glow which isn't glittery or fake in any way.

So to sum up, I do actually love this foundation. Within a week of using it I've been age checked, and had a few people tell me that my skin looks great. My boss even asked me if I'd changed my makeup because my skin was looking so radiant (I'm known for my skin issues....I must obsess more than I thought about it!)

EDIT: I should say I've only given this 3 lippies at the moment because of the fine line issue and if anyone else is like me they start with the less than perfect reviews to find out what the issues are. I'm going to try hydrating my face a bit more and will see if it makes a difference, so I'll update when I've given that a go.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/1/2014 9:29:00 PM More reviews by wenqing

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

my holy grail mineral foundation. the powder is the creamiest and most finely milled out of all the mineral foundations i've used, and extremely airy and lightweight. covers minor redness and undereye darkness with just a sheer layer and can be built up to a fuller coverage with one more layer. only complaint is that none of the colors matches me perfectly, i'm golden fair in bareminerals original, 117 in MUFE HD, porcelain in laura mercier tinted moisturizer, the shade soft porcelain is just a lil too light and not yellow enough, real sand is too dark/orange, rose tender although i never tried is obviously pink. i would mix the two but just can't be bothered on some mornings. it has a pearlescent sheen to it, when i look in the mirror in sun light i can see tiny shimmer particles, but it's more natural than bareminerals original with that almost metallic sheen if you buff too much. tried laura mercier mineral foundation primer(the one that comes in a tube) with the powder but that did nothing and kind of drying my skin out, so now i just apply it on top of sunscreen, it blends easily too. rescently bought a new jar but the packaging doesn't state spf15 like it used to.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/26/2014 2:45:00 AM More reviews by megumiforyou

I've been using this powder for a couple of years now and I swear by it. Seriously, much better than any other mineral foundation I've ever tried. The price is a little expensive, but you get what you pay for, and there is a lot of product in the containers. They usually last me about 3-4 months, and I use it almost every day and use kind of a lot, since I use it as my foundation.
I have really sensitive, normal-dry skin, that breaks out if I try anything new. This never once broke me out, and covered up my red cheeks in a really natural way. Doesn't settle and get blotchy like some other makeups do.
I highly recommend this, and wish I had all the money in the world to buy LM products.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/10/2014 9:13:00 AM More reviews by creyna87

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

Skin: Very sensitive-Oily-Acne prone (due to hormones or sensitivity)
Color: Real sand
I LOVE this foundation. I recently switched from liquid to powder.
-Dont need alot to get full coverage look; a little goes a long way
-covers blemishes and dark scarring without using concealer.
-Has a matte finish with a soft glow (not over shimmery).
-Had no negative reaction to this product
-Never feel like I have it caked on nor does it look cakey even after my face gets oily

I get pretty nervous using a new product because I don't just break out here and there I will break out in a painful rash of small under the skin pimples and all over my face or I'll get big painful cystic acne. My skin is so sensitive I can not use Aveeno, Cetaphil and can no longer use Simple face wash.

OIL AT BAY: IDK if this product has an ingredient that helps with oil control but it's not getting as oily as quickly as it used to. It's not advertised as so. My skin care routine seems to be working with my skin issues and my skin has cleared up in no time.

Routine: Olay foaming face wash sensitive skin morning&night
Palmer's skin success fade cream at night
Simple light moisturizer in the morning
Almay Luminous CC primer before applying make up

Advisement: after years of having problem skin I realized that some product dont mix well with others and can cause additional oiliness/dryness/ irritation. As you can see in my routine I use no products that are for controlling acne and my face now seems to be doing fine.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/16/2014 5:01:00 AM More reviews by june0626

Got it as a foundation after my skin recovers from irritation. the powder itself is soft and silky on the skin, a tiny bit is enough for a medium coverage. it contains shimmers that leaves the right amount of sheen to the skin but not shiny. I use a kabuki brush for the face and a small fluffy brush for spot concealing under the eyes and scarring. I love it for a natural every day look for school. It cuts down the time for foundation. Given the amount of product, it would last for a long time and it definitely worth the try. I heard complaints of this highlighting pores, therefore Girls with larger pores might need a pore-minimizing primer and more buffing in.