February 28, 2015 | 1985 users online

Lipstick - NARS - Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Red Square

rated 5 of 5 on 8/18/2010 9:33:00 AM More reviews by Kasia_S

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

This gives me perfect red lips, I use it more in the spring/summer because it's a pretty bright colour. But for spring/summer this and MAC lady danger are my favorites. I love red lips, especially more of the vintage pin-up style, which this gives me.
Before I mostly used lady danger, but this is much easier to apply so it's gotten to be my favorite this summer. Since it's in a pen form you can use it without a lip pencil and work a more laid-back look than lady danger. I love that it's in a pen, and it doesn't dry my lips out as much as mac.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/7/2010 3:00:00 PM More reviews by izzybella

UPDATED: 6/18/2012 - I tried this again and I like it so much better this time around. It's not nearly as neon as I remembered - I'm thinking it may have been the florescent department store lighting that made it look neon, and I was in such a hurry to remove it that I didn't look at my lips in natural light. But under natural light, this is a warm red with a hint of orange. It's super pigmented so you don't need a lot, but you will need the NARS sharpener. I prefer this over NARS Heatwave because this is a more unique shade. Definitely love the second time around!

Original Review: 07/8/2010 - I was thisclose to buying Red Square sight unseen from eBay due to the raves here and from JCrew's Jenna Lyons, but I decided to try it on first at a NARS counter and I'm so glad I did because it did NOT look flattering on me at all. It pulled rather orange on me, and was really bright, nearly neon. Didn't go well with my skin tone, which has yellow undertones. Definitely try before you buy!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/26/2010 9:34:00 PM More reviews by avantgardelovers

I LOVEEEE
a little drying or maybe im just not use to matte lipstick/ lip pencils

but even smooth BEAUTIFUL application
and loveee the BRIGHT orangey-red color!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/15/2009 6:38:00 AM More reviews by famous12

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Red Square is a sunny, true orange with a hint of red. It is so summery and happy. It reminds me of a fruity, juicy orange. I really like Red Square a lot and it it is one of my favorites from the Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencils. I like the smooth, matte orange especially for Spring and Summer. It is a nice alternative to Nars' Heat Wave and Mac's Lady Danger. I will buy this again!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/29/2007 1:19:00 PM More reviews by tijanarm

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I believe this was one of my first NARS purchases and I love it. It's a great summer red colour and it looks best when "dabbed in" with a finger to give it a stained look. Looks awesome when tanned. Good staying power.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/27/2007 11:20:00 AM More reviews by Katybensted

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love this. Perfect orangey red for those of us who can`t wear blue reds, but also makes teeth look whiter too. The excellent matt finish is very retro and extremely long lasting. It`s a touch drying but nothing a dab of lip balm won`t ease!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/24/2007 4:41:00 PM More reviews by b_electrocuted

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is the best orange based red I have ever found, except maybe Nars lip lacquer in Flare Up. This is a total Christina Aguilera red. It has great staying power and almost feels like a stain because it is so shher feeling. The color is anything but sheer. It is super pigmented. I am going to the Nras counter to by some other colors today. Don't forget to purchase the Nars sharpener for $6, you will need it!
The packaging is not so great because the cap doesn't really stay on well at all.