September 23, 2014 | 1070 users online

Powder - Merle Norman - Luxiva Purely Mineral Makeup

rated 5 of 5 on 10/9/2012 3:24:00 PM More reviews by melanieg1028

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

When I turned 30, six years ago I started getting adult acne. It has been a roller coaster ever since. I would classify it has mild most of the time then moderate when my time of the month approaches. I have spent a FORTUNE trying to get rid of the acne once and for all but nothing is stopping it for good. So I decided to go another path. I searched high and low for the best mineral makeup to try and cover it. I have tried everything including Bare Minerals, Silk Minerals, Everyday Minerals and I have tried every foundation brush out there. I happen to stumble across an article that listed the best mineral foundations and Merle Norman was #1. I was skeptical but I found a Merle Norman store and I purchased the foundation. I found the price to be very reasonable considering the amount of foundation you receive. I have been using it for 3 weeks now and it does not seem to be causing additional breakouts. If I build the coverage it covers my active acne and acne scars. Overall my face glows after I put this on and I am very happy with this product. It doesn't feel heavy and it stays overall throughout the long day. I think this foundation is great and I am very happy I purchased it.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/8/2012 10:56:00 PM More reviews by rsrs

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is the best mineral foundation I have tried. It is on the expensive side but it will last a long time. I have been using it for a few years now.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/3/2012 10:51:00 PM More reviews by becky129

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I have clog-prone, sensitive skin that is on the dry side. Because I am over 40 and have dry skin, most powders look cakey or accentuate my wrinkles and pores. I had been using Alima for several years when I determined it was too cakey for me. I loved the short ingredients list, so I did a search for the same ingredients, and that was when I discovered Merle Norman. This has the same four ings that Alima has, but in a different order so that the finish is more luminious. Perfect! Coverage is just right - it evens my skin tone and can cover blemishes.

Alima Pure: Titanium Dioxide, Zinc Oxide, Mica, Iron Oxides

MN Luxiva Purely Mineral: Mica, Zinc Oxide, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides

I think this is a great value. I paid $29 for a HUGE jar - it is double the size of Alima. I have no doubt it will last me close to a year, even with daily use.

Shades are a bit limited, but I find that L28 is a good match for my NC20. I use ML44 if I get color in the summer or as a bronzer.

I'm so glad I discovered this. I've always considered Merle Norman very old school, it's been around forever. And yes, the sales lady that helped me was 70+ and had way to much mu and helmet hair. But I am very impressed with this mu - they just need an image revamp. :)

Overall, I'm very pleased and will definitely repurchase.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/4/2012 1:34:00 AM More reviews by princesssaras

I wish they had. Better color option, but overall, this is a great mineral foundation! Although, I loved how bare essentuals powder looked on me, I started noticing breakouts, I did research and found that his didn't contain mica or bismuth and I haven't had an issue with breakouts since!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/5/2012 6:56:00 PM More reviews by zskin

I really love this product. It does not settle into lines and does not itch--will buy again, but it will really last a long time!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/10/2012 11:54:00 AM More reviews by betel

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This MMU has great staying power and can be built up to full coverage but if they dont have your exact color it will look wierd I have ML44 and its a tad too orange I need more yellow but if they had my color I would of given it 5 lippies it goes on with a bit of shimmer and it doesnt make you look oily just healthy and disguises those pesky fine lines you may have it does not pool on us oily girls and doesnt go into the fine lines either i might have to buy two color to mix so I can get my exact match. I still love Merle Norman though I usually finish this off with the ultra powder in ultra golden and it stays matte all day.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/3/2012 9:36:00 AM More reviews by snjlowe

I had been wearing Bare Escentuals for a few years, but there isn't anywhere in my hometown to buy it, and one day in desperation I stopped at the Merle Norman store. SOOO glad I did! I had tried other mineral make-up but never liked any as well as B.E. Well, this is even better. Just slightly more coverage and the glimmer seems to hide lines a tad better. Most liquid foundations give me bumpy skin but this make-up doesn't at all.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2012 1:51:00 AM More reviews by stuffystephy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love this foundation. I love it for reasons unique to me that I'll share. If your skin is similar to mine, or if you're looking for these things - then give it a try :)
1. It suits my skin (cheeks are normal to dry and my t-zone is normal to oily).
2. It photographs amazing!! Whenever I see photos of myself with it, my skin always has that right amount of radiance and smoothness. This surprised me because when you look at it in the jar, it looks glittery. It makes my skin look radiant and smooth in real life too.
3. I can't resist sharing this - I have this friend, and we used to be all-nighter buddies, because we'd be in the library in the wee hours of the morning frantically starting and finishing whatever paper was due the next day. One time I finished my paper at home. In the morning, when I went to hand my paper in, I had this foundation on. My friend asked me how many hours I'd slept. When I said "none", he had this shocked look on his face! Then said, "Wow... you don't look like it at all"
4. my sister and I were in the Middle East one summer. It was so hot, sweaty, and sticky. One day I noticed she was quite perky. It turned out she was wearing this. That's when I first started wearing it. For whatever reason, it seemed to absorb the sweat or the stickiness or something. It's strange to say, but it made a huge difference to our energy levels just because we didn't feel as sticky anymore. Plus also, we felt pretty :)
5. Titanium dioxide is the 3rd ingredient, which is a chemical sunscreen. I am quite pale (NC15-NC20). I find this does a pretty good job of protecting my skin (I've worn it in the Middle East and in Thailand. I do wear Mac studio finish concealer which has an spf 30 over any hyperpigmented spots)
6. It comes in a huge jar. I apply this stuff quite liberally, without thinking about conserving it, and one jar lasts me about 6-8 months. (14 g or 50 oz for $40 CAD)
7. It doesn't break me out. I was using this, then switched to the Laura Mercier mineral powder because the colour suited me better - but it broke me out horribly (I still have hyperpigmentation marks). I think it's because it contained bismuth oxychloride.

Con: there isn't a wide range of colours, however, I've found that by mixing L10 and L20 in a 2:5 or 1:2 ratio, matches me pretty well.

Bottom line: This is my favourite foundation. It's my old faithful. I try other ones out of curiosity or for a different finish, but I always come back to this one :)

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/18/2011 4:56:00 PM More reviews by snodog16

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Although a little more on the pricier side, this really is a nice powder foundation-very light and non-irritating. With that said, it doesn't cover blemishes very well, and it's not very build-able either. I sometimes dust a little over one of my more heavier foundations to add a little 'sparkle'. The foundation has a shimmer to it, so I wouldn't recommend applying it to any oily-prone areas. Overall, its a really great investment and it lasts forever (however, I use mine only sparingly-so maybe that's why it lasts!). Regardless, it's a great powder alone or with other foundations.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/10/2011 5:03:00 PM More reviews by lovesyou

This is my HG foundation!
Pros:
~covers nicely
~matches my skin tone perfectly
~stays on well
~only 4 ingredients!!!
~doesn't irrtate my skin or break it out.

Cons:
~package sucks hard to get any foundation out(mine container looks different than the one shown in the picture)
~expensive (cost me $30 taxes included.)
~Has glitter in it but that doesn't bother me but for some people i know it will.

EDIT:not to crazy about this now i found that my skin is so oily at the end of the school day that I can't wait to get home and remove it.It also transfer so easy i can't even scratch my face without getting foundation on my fingers.. and i thought you get so much product but you don't even get a full Oz.you get A half of an oz. o_O so thats really expensive.It does give me full coverage without irration but I know there is so many more foundation out there that is cheaper and works better than this so I wouldn't repurchase