Philips Sonicare Toothbrush

4.6

on 4/13/2011 10:22:00 PM

I was given this toothbrush as a gift from my hubby because he knows how obsessed I am about oral health. Hands down it's the best toothbrush I have ever used. Easy to handle and amazingly gets all the hard to reach areas, really leaves my teeth feeling clean. It will keep a charge for at least 5 days. Highly recommend.

on 4/2/2011 12:44:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I call my Sonicare Essence the Sonicare Humility because prior to owning this, I had nothing but contempt for electric toothbrushes. "How lazy can we be? Up and down is too strenuous for you?" Then I left my job and couldn't afford the COBRA dental insurance. I asked for a Sonicare for Christmas in the hopes that it would get me through the Valley of No Coverage cavity free.

Call it a Damascus Road conversion, but I will never go back. My teeth feel like I've just come from the dentist. It takes getting used to the vibration, but your teeth feel amazing. It reminded me of getting my braces off: I was complusively gliding my tongue over my teeth because they felt so different.

I'm not a cavity prone person (one small filling that was a result of being less than dilligent when I had braces,) and I almost never floss. My new dental plan began Jan. 1, and I have procrastinated on scheduling the appointment because my teeth look and feel good. I thought I'd look like I had a mouth full of Indian corn after three years without a professional cleaning, but no visible tarter, no gum sensitivity, no tooth pain.

The key to making your Sonicare last is in the charging. Let it get a good, solid charge, then unplug the charger and don't recharge until the brush won't run. (I just use it like I would a regular, manual brush when it dies and then recharge it.) At three years old, I'm beginning to loose some longevity between charges. At its peak, I could go three weeks between charges.

The only big frustration comes from keeping the handle clean. The heads have little gaps that allow the yucky toothpaste spit to work it's way into the well of the handle. It can get pretty gross. I bought a silicone gasket on Amazon to cover the gap. It helps, but it's not an ideal solution.

Packaging/Waste:The Essence heads are bulky and unrecyclable. There are magnets and bits of metal and plastic. I wish they had a take back program. The new Pro Results models have the magnets in the handle instead of the head. The handle is smaller too. When my Essence dies, I'll upgrade to that model. Also, the battery is not replaceable, but I believe you can drop off the handle where you recycle NiCad batteries. The box is a pretty standard box, some paper, some plastic. The replacement heads are in an evil plastic clam shell, but it is recyclable in most places. continued >>

My dentist recommended this to me, knowing how anal-retentive I am about my teeth. I actually enjoy going to the dentist!
I had a problem with my gums starting to recede, and with this no mechanical scrubbing is necessary. The brush glides along your teeth, cleaning more efficiently, more completely, and more safely (as far as receding gums are concerned) than manual brushing.
I brush and night and wake up in the morning and there's still NO tangible plaque on my teeth!
Absolutely no comparison between this and a manual toothbrush. None.
I believe this and flossing can mean the difference between keeping your teeth later. A great investment.

on 1/27/2011 8:55:00 AM

Purchased my 1st one back in the mid 90s. It finally died 7 years later = purchased my 2nd one = lasted about 6 years, now on #3 (obviously I have replaced the brush head many many times) :P

LOVE them - hate non-Sonicare toothbrushes now as I feel my teeth are not nearly as clean. I used to have a travel regular toothbrush - not anymore - I take my Sonicare w/ me anytime I travel! Finally told my dentist to quit giving me free toothbrushes after my cleanings since I will NEVER go back to a manual one.

They are expensive, but w/ a little work, you can usually find one on sale somewhere (or go to BBB w/ a 20% coupon) and they do last YEARS. So worth it to have whiter, cleaner teeth!

I bought the Philips Flexcare Plus 3 months ago and I can honestly say that my gum bleeding has stopped since then! My teeth look and feel like pearls in my mouth. At first, the price appears to be steep but as this magic brush has saved me a lot of time and money that I would have to spend at the dentist I think that in the long run this is an excellent investment. The funny thing is that I had to convince my husband that we should buy the Flexcare (it was on sale with the second handle for free) and the was unwilling to do it, but gave in after a while. Now he can't remember anymore that he didn't want to pay so much in the first place, because he is SO in love with the way this brush delivers :)

This is the HG for coffee/soda drinkers and smokers. It is easy to use, whitens teeth in one use, and cleans very, very well. This is a great cheat to use just before going to the dentist. ;D

on 10/23/2010 12:21:00 AM

this is awesome, i'm glad i shelled out the initial investment on this product! well worth the price! imagine the dentist is cleaning your teeth for you 2 times a day? feels squeakyyy clean, and gross as it sounds, you really see a different coloured foam instead of usual white foam from manual cleaning! speaks a lot huh!

on 7/13/2010 2:58:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

amazing toothbrush. i really didn't expect it to be so much better than others but it is. i got the flex care model a few weeks ago because it was on sale. my only issue was that it took almost a week to charge up and it still wasn't fully charged when i started using it. love the sonic vibrations and my teeth look a lot whiter

on 5/17/2010 6:11:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

I originally got an Oral-B brand electric toothbrush and absolutely hated it and got myself the Philips Sonicare. I'm so happy I did, this brush is fantastic! I have the model that comes with the UV brush head cleaner.

Having braces I found brushing a lot more troublesome with a traditional toothbrush. The Sonicare is not only excellent for braces wearers, it has a timer and best of all a gum massager - great after getting my wires tightened ♥ While some reviews I read said the on-the-go 1 minute mode is useless I found it VERY useful for in between meals/snacks. Too much brushing can be harmful to the enamel so the 1 minute brush mode is terrific, even without toothpaste! Gotta hate when food get stuck in your brackets :( There is also a sensitive mode which I've used a couple of times when I had adjustment aches.

I used to take forever brushing my teeth with braces and guessing how long each quadrant took. The Sonicare does a beep (nothing loud or obnoxious) timer for each quadrant. Now when I brush I don't feel like I take a long time, the timer has been so helpful. The device also lets you pause to spit/rinse by pressing the on/off button. You can even change modes at any time by hitting the mode select button.

The thing I love the best about this device is the uv cleaner. It cleans the brush heads (can fit 2 at a time) for 10 minutes. If the uv door unit is opened it will stop nor start unless it is fully closed. It hasn't overheated and I use it 3-4 times daily. The uv bulb is still going strong. Another great useful thing I found the uv cleaner for is my Colgate spinbrush. The spinbrush head is detachable and fits perfectly in the cleaner holder. I no longer need to buy travel brushes and can easily clean my spinbrush head.

My kit came with a travel case and charger, 2 different brush heads (standard and compact) with snap on clear caps, brush head bands (if you share the sonicare, you pick a colored band so you know which brush head is yours and or your spouse), charger with uv cleaner and the sonicare device. I got it for $150+ which I found pricey, but in the long run it was worth every penny!

on 5/7/2010 12:19:00 AM

i love love love my sonicare toothbrush. i thought it was such a waste of money, but i was having really bad problems with plaque buildup on my teeth and oh. my. god. thats all i can say. this has probably been one of my wisest purchases and it is so worth the money!!

Popular Other Products