Boots no7 Protect and Perfect beauty serum

3.5

Cyclopentasiloxane, Aqua (Water), Butylene Glycol, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Cyclohexasiloxane, Glycerin, Dimethicone Copolyol, Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Polysorbate 20, Magnesium Sulfate, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium PCA, Retinyl Palmitate, Methylparaben, Propylene Glycol, Lupinus Albus Seed Extract, Carbomer, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Panax Ginseng Root Extract, Morus Alba Leaf Extract, Tocopherol (Natural Vitamin E), Palmitoyl Oligopeptide, Palmitoyl Tetrapeptide-7

on 2/5/2013 6:58:00 AM

I cannot believe what this has done to my face. Severe allergic reaction, puffed-up water filled bags under my eyes, exzema type rash on my face and lips, itchy, burning feel, and across the tops of my cheeks/under eye area it looks like I have been burned. I was not sure what was causing it at first, until I searched on the internet and found other No 7 users with similar symptoms. The product is No 7 protect and perfect serum, but it is in a slimmer, aqua coloured tube, different to the picture shown, I think there are two versions of the serum.

I am now taking antihistamines. It did start to get better, when I stopped using it (although I didn't realise that was the cause) when I used it again I felt the burning sensation, and next day my skin was worse again. Although I tend towards pollen and dust mite allergies, I can usually put most things on my face without trouble. That said I avoid parabens and chemicals generally where I can. I am not allergic to parabens, so it must be something else.

As for the product itself, it felt greasy and full of silicones. When my skin can tolerate anything at all I will return to my usual l'occitane serum, which worked well. I bought the No 7 as a tide-me over when I ran out , and was given a No 7 voucher. The fact that the tube reads hypoallergenic just adds insult to injury.

I don't normally leave such bad reviews, but this product has left me unable to leave the house, I can only hope it recovers in time. Looking at other review sites, most people are happy (or at worse indifferent) about this product, but it seems that a small but significant number have suffered as I have. From now on I am sticking only to organic, natural or products I have used previously. Lesson learned.

on 2/3/2013 5:07:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I've been using the No7 Protect and Perfect Intense range for a couple of years, having progressed from the standard P&P range when I hit my mid thirties. I LOVE these products and would recommend over most of the higher end ranges I've tried over the years.  I use the eye cream, followed by the serum and day cream in the morning and find this to be a perfect base for applying make-up (although I find make-up goes on better if you leave to sink in for at least 10 mins) - i've received several comments about how nice my skin looks! Both the eye cream and serum definitely seem to blur fine lines and provide a smooth and silky base. The night cream feels quite rich (albeit a little sticky) but leaves my skin silky soft by morning and seems to really suit my sensitive combination skin. Great products at a great price - although would recommend waiting till Boots are offering No7 on promotion at 3for2 and stocking up! For info, the serum is available in a glass bottle or plastic tube - I personally prefer the tube as it's more travel friendly and you don't get as much waste!

Not happy with this product. Used this product on one side of my face and Visionaire on the other side for 1.5 weeks. dramatic difference. Wrinkles plumped and smoothed on the Visionaire side - no chance in the wrinkles on the Protect and Perfect side. Several cystic pimples on my nose forehead and cheek. I never get these.

Edit: ok now that I've been using it awhile no more pimples. Still the Visionaire side is getting better results. Upgraded to 3 lippies.

on 1/30/2013 5:06:00 PM

I bought this product to use in conjunction with the rest of the protect and perfect range.
It does feel nice to put on, it glides on smoothly, however I wonder how much of this is to do with the silicone nature of the product.
I can't comment purely on this product as I was using it along with the other moisturisers but although it felt nice on at first I felt that the range was too heavy and greasy for me. This surprised me as normally I have dry skin.
If i'm honest although I liked to think the serum was working at the time, it wasn't really working. The serum didn't last that long about 2 months and when I ran out of it I stopped using it and my skin looks exactly the same as it did before I started using it.
I put that I would buy it again but to be honest I probably won't. It's not a bad product, it was nice enough, I just don't think it lived up to it's hype in my opinion.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

This stuff works. I don't know how, and honestly I don't really care. I have this wrinkle across my forehead, or, at least I did. I apply this onto it before I put on moisturiser, and now, it is almost completely gone. It took a few weeks before it started working, and I was using it out of habit for a while, not really thinking it would work.

One day, I was looking at my reflection in the mirror, thinking I looked rather well slept for a change. Then I thought oh, well that's probably because the wrinkle is gone- wait what!? I have carried on using it since then and I do not see myself giving it up.

I don't mind the boring, cheap looking tube in this case, the results speak for them selves. No shiny gold lids are needed for this one. The price is really good too, serums can be stupid expensive so I am happy to have found a cheap altenative that does what I want it to.

on 1/20/2013 6:04:00 AM

Used this for 2 monts. It has reduced pore size on cheeks, softened lines around eyes and "marionett lines". Overall my skin has got a nice glow.
It hasn't removed deep forehead expression lines, but not sure if anything will, or maybe it just takes longer for any change on that area.
No adverse effects and affordable price. Recommend.

on 12/31/2012 11:10:00 AM

I have been using this product for about 5 years now. I repurchase it because I feel it improves the condition of my skin. I have had a few months here and there where I didn't use it (usually due to running out and not having the money to buy more) and I noticed my skin doesn't look as good as when I am using it.

I apply it morning and night under Boots Protect and Perfect Intense moisturiser.

I give it 4 lippies as I don't find it the best base for makeup. I would like to try Visionnaire by Lancome next and see if that is any better.

For the price, I highly recommend giving this serum a go. It does say to use for 4 weeks before you see results. I wonder what I would look like now if hadn't been using for 5 years! Maybe the same, who knows! People never guess that I'm 30 (usually think I'm early 20s so perhaps it is doing its job).

on 11/26/2012 2:14:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I use the intense serum and have been getting compliments on my skin. My husband even asked me what products I use as he noticed the difference on my skin.

I use the serum every night after my Castor Oil routine (please see my other review) and in the morning before I apply my No7 day cream.

I have oily skin and with my Castor oil cleansing routine and boots product I don't look like I'm ready to fry pork chops on my face before the end of the day. Dark blemish spots and sun spots on my face fading with these combo.

Good Luck!!!

on 10/29/2012 12:58:00 AM

I started using this product after I read that Good Housekeeping rated it the #1 Beauty Serum and I think most people know how intense their testing is. It has also won in some "Best of Beauty" lists from various magazines. I am 52 years old and most people think that I'm in my late 30's. This didn't happen until AFTER I started using this. I also have VERY sensative skin and have never had a problem. Yes, it DOES make your skin soft -but it also reduced any spotting I had, reduced the size of my pores around my nose, and most of all helped my fine lines almost disappear!! I love this stuff and wouldn't change for nothing!!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Add my name to the group who broke out like mad. Within days of using morning & evenings, I broke out into cysts and annoying little whiteheads all over my jawline & forehead. At first, I put it down to stress, PMS, etc. then realised my skin returned to normal immediately after I quit using this.

Fortunately, there are some pros to the product; my skin just doesn't seem to react well too it (odd, because 'cone heavy primers never bother me). The texture spreads nicely, and it does leave dehydrated skin feeling nice. The packaging is also very spendy looking; much more so than other products around the same price.

Will not repurchase; I've learned my lesson.

Popular Treatments (Face)