October 25, 2014 | 1732 users online

Moisturizers - Paula's Choice - Hydralight Moisture-Infusing Lotion

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/19/2013 4:18:00 PM More reviews by katwalker

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I really wish I had tried a sample of this before I bought an entire bottle because, wow, this stuff is totally not for skin that is the least bit dry. It's not even for skin that's normal. I would say it's for oily skin that need hydration. I tried it because I have normal to dry skin and need something light at night, but I also have to wear Elidel cream on my face for seb derm and eczema. This dries to a matte finish, so oily-skinned folks will love that. It's just too drying for me; my skin actually felt drier with this on than if I'd not used a moisturizer.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/14/2013 12:48:00 PM More reviews by oooHUNTRESSooo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

First of, this product stinks. I though I received an expired one, but then read the reviews here and realized it's not just me. I really don't mind the scent of other Paula's Choice products and quite like the fact that there is no perfume in them, but I just can't get over this one. It's kind of a mixture between fresh and slightly sour, but it lingers on and stays on my hands really long.

If this doesn't bother you, then this is a fine moisturizer for oily/combinations skin. It gives a matte effect, but still puts some moisture in. It didn't cause any problems whatsoever (spots, redness, any kind of irritaion). It's very light and there is no feeling of heaviness or greasiness. Very nice for summer months as well.

However, if your skin suffers from any dehydration, skip this. I get flaky around my nose and chin and this simply isn't enough to combat the dryness. I still gave it 4 stars because it's not meant to be overly hydrating.
I will not repurchase it because it doesn't perfectly suit my skin's needs.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/31/2013 5:25:00 AM More reviews by JCM123

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

My experience with Paula's choice has been a mixed one, although largely positive. I cannot be without her clear normalising cleanser, and I LOVE her 8% AHA Gel exfoliant. Where I had less luck was with her moisturisers, until I tried this one. I decided to order about 6 samples of this stuff before committing to buying the full product. This is incredibly light, and leaves my oily/combination skin feeling comfortably moisturised, whilst leaving a matte finish on my oily t-zone. I have a very, very oily t-zone and then as a result of trying to keep that under control my cheeks are dehydrated, as anything moisturising enough for my cheeks tends to leave me one oily mess!!

The only thing is that this product is very light, so if you skin is on the drier/flakey end of the spectrum I don't think it would be suitable. I have a couple of flakey patches on my chin at the moment as a result of being a bit aggressive with my BP and retinol to get rid of some really stubborn cystic acne (present before I started using this stuff) and I didn't find it was moisturising enough for that, so I just used something a bit more heavy duty on those patches.. normally I wouldn't bother with putting something heavier on my skin for fear of breaking out, but I have a few Weddings at the moment, so don't want to look all flakey!!

Otherwise this product is shaping up to be the HG moisturiser I have been searching for, for a very long time! Thank you PC

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/20/2013 5:21:00 PM More reviews by Endit

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have weird skin. It's dry, and I know this for a fact, but recently whenever I use something with lots of glycerin in it, my skin becomes SO shiny and heavy feeling, it's like nothing absorbs. This doesn't happen as much if I'm in a properly air conditioned place 24/7, but that's not often. I'm usually somewhere with high humidity, and glycerin just attracts way too much moisture, let alone in a formula already made to moisturize dry skin. This is where this Hydralight comes in - it contains a lot less glycerin than most moisturizers I see, and I wanted to see if that really is the culprit. Even though it's recommended for normal, combination, and oily skin, it's summer, so I might be able to get away using something lighter, and something lighter might help with sweating or applying sunscreen on top of it (you know they all claim to be invisible but that's not always the case). It claims a "Light-as-water texture", "Soft matte finish won't make skin look or feel greasy" "silky matte finish", "excellent under makeup". The formula also looks like it has a lot of texture enhancers, like a large amount of silicones and thickeners.

PROS: Wow... this definitely does what it says. It is matte in look and feel. Honestly, I'm shocked because I'm not used to anything like this. It's not a good finish for my dry skin, but for the summer and fact that I use sunscreen regularly, it does its job. It really absorbs/dries quickly, like less than 10 minutes and ready for the next layer. It's also not like other moisturizers that feel ok on my skin at first, but then turn into oil central (CeraVe PM + lotion). It has a texture that is light and easily spreadable, identical to Paula's Earth Sourced Moisturizer - it's not thin, and it's not thick, but spreading it on the skin, it just has a lack of "drag" and way it thins itself out. I feel like I don't need to use a lot. It also doesn't cause breakouts, in fact my skin has been looking a bit nicer... dare I say brighter and and smoother since I started using this.

CONS: Can't really think of any.

OTHER: Not sure if it's moisturizing enough for my skin or not, but my skin doesn't feel tight. It just has a very dry finish feeling. What I mean is the neopentyl glycol diheptanoate (ingredient 2), the dimethicone (5)... it feels like it is meant to provide a "dry" sensation, not just being so light in moisturizers that it naturally feels drier. If you don't like a heavy, "unnatural", "dry silicone" feeling, you should avoid this. I also don't mind the scent of the product, which is weird because a lot of people complained about it - just search here or the official website for the words scent or smell, it comes up again and again. It smells like... I don't know. I don't eat cucumbers, so I can't compare it to that, but I don't think it lingers or smells bad at all! It smells a like the PC 1% BHA lotion, which also received complaints. Really, I don't understand what everybody is having a problem with.

OVERALL: I'll use it up, but I won't purchase it again. It's just too matte for my skin. I will probably try the other ones even though they have more glycerin - fingers crossed they don't cause problems. If you have really oily skin, it may work though. It really prevents and reduces shine!

UPDATE: I have been using it for weeks and am now giving it an extra star. It is a really good product. It does what it claims, has a great texture, dries quickly, is never shiny, has a extra lightweight feel to no feel at all, and does not extremely punish me if I use a little too much. It's too matte but some of that can be offset by using another product below it, like serum/toner/etc.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/22/2013 9:39:00 AM More reviews by tatcuya114

I always apply this after Paula's BHA 2 liquid. My face always experience some sort of burning/stinging for a while afterwards and I always thought it was because the BHA liquid was a little too strong for my skin. No, it is because of this moisturizer. I grabbed something else today as my moisturizer (La Roche-Posay's toleriane fluide to be specific) and my face was fine. Clearly something in the ingredients does not make my skin very happy...Bad news is that I got two tubes of this, one as a free gift that came with my order...I'm almost done with the first tube. Maybe I'm going to use the second tube on my neck area or somewhere else where my skin isn't that sensitive...

rated 4 of 5 on 2/18/2013 5:50:00 PM More reviews by folieadeux37

I have sensitive, acne-prone oily skin, so it's a challenge to find good, affordable moisturizers that won't break me out. This lotion does a great job at keeping my skin moisturized in the winter without causing extra oiliness. In fact, I think my skin's gotten less oily from using this. I can't say much about anti-aging effects, since I'm not old enough to get wrinkles, but my acne scars have significantly lightened after two months of using this and the 1% BHA lotion. It absorbs quickly, and leaves a smooth, slightly matte finish. The smell isn't bad (somewhat fresh and herbal), but I can see it being a slight problem for sensitive noses.

The only issue is that Paula's Choice lotions are a little expensive if you're on a budget: $20 (plus shipping) for 2 fl.oz. It'll last me about 2.5 months, but I also don't use it everyday at night. Otherwise, if price isn't an issue for you, I'd highly recommend this product if you have oily skin.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/28/2012 10:14:00 AM More reviews by SweatpantsMoney

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

The smell of this is absolutely awful. I can't get over it, I had to wash it off.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/16/2012 3:32:00 AM More reviews by minervajulia

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Grey, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Nice, light moisturizer ~ unfortunately doesn't work for my acne-prone, oily skin, even though it's supposed to be formulated for that. My skin reacts to weird things, though.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/7/2012 10:09:00 PM More reviews by judibean

I can't get past the smell from the sample I got. It is like cucumber, but *off* in some way, and it lingers on the face to the point where I want to wash the lotion off just to get rid of the smell! What I do like about it is that it soaks into the skin and doesn't make my face shiny. However, I can't see myself buying the full size tube because of the scent. I am also going to try the skin balancing moisture gel and hope that one has no scent. Will post a review soon.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/24/2012 10:46:00 PM More reviews by bumblebee770

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm on my third tube of this so it must be working as I am always ready to move on to a better product. I use only in areas where needed, not over my whole face. The fragrance (or lack thereof) seems to have been solved as my last 2 tubes were just faintly herby-medicinal but not bad at all. Occasionally in winter I may use something a little heavier (Cerave) but this generally works year round. It doesn't cause any irritation at all. If I ever try something better I'd switch but for now this is a daily use product.