April 20, 2014 | 1526 users online

Fragrances - Estee Lauder - Tom Ford Black Orchid

rated 5 of 5 on 11/6/2010 9:31:00 AM More reviews by happywoman28

Age: Unknown Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'm in love with this. I smell woods--fresh cut boards, lumber. It's green and honey-smooth, deep and really strong, a quality hard to find now. I actually sprayed myself with two or three blasts last night and still was catching delicious whiffs of it this morning. No need for the big bottle, a small bottle should last forever. Unlike anything else. It is a tiny bit masculine because of the unmistakable, permeating lumbaryard aroma. And really sexy! It's a green/oriental! I love anything woody or chypre, and to me at least, this delivers. Yummy sandlewood is the main note. But there is that sultry deep honey note coming on strong, and some sort of spice, which I usually hate but here it is quietly intoxicating.
I wouldn't have identified this as an orchid blend. More of a spicey chypre, heavy on wood. Best worn in cool weather, since it is a bit heavy. It is bold and beautiful, and I can positively believe it will be a hit with the men in my life. Just gorgeous.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/29/2010 3:22:00 PM More reviews by missnat

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Okay, this is a first. I'm gonna give 5 stars to a fragrance that doesn't agree with me at all. I sniffed this last night at NM and had a strong reaction. It is absolutely not my style (I prefer light, crisp, green, floral), and had no element that I personally found appealling, but it was exquisite. Black orchid is very strong, sexy, masculine, and unique. It smells over the top, decadent, expensive, complex,and rich as a flourless chocolate cake drenched in ganache. SO even though it wasn't for me personally, I felt compelled to write this review, because I know for some this will be a match made in heaven!

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/17/2010 11:29:00 AM More reviews by atomic_girl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I was hesitant to try Black Orchid, because Tom Ford's White Patchouli was such a disaster on me. I'm glad I tried Black Orchid, though, because this is amazing stuff...a deep, dark, sensuous oriental with rich candied fruit and woody, incensy notes. It makes me think of the rich oriental scents from years past (Lancome's Magie Noire comes to mind) and is a welcome change from all the sugary-fruity-flowery-froufrou-pink stuff out there. Much as I love this stuff, I think I'll have to resist the temptation to wear it to work - it's just not that kind of scent. ;) Highly recommended!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/15/2010 5:45:00 PM More reviews by Sylvanrealm

I said i would buy this again, but I'm honestly not sure. I read a number of reviews before purchasing unsniffed. It sounded gorgeous and I was looking for a new scent for the cool months ahead. The first spray was...interesting. Within minutes, it grew on me. I worse it several days - yes, days- in a row, applying just one spray each time. One evening, wanting a little more intensity, I used 2 or 3 sprays. That almost killed it for me, haven't worn it since. Why? It smells ridiculously rich. Rich in the heavy, high- calorie, too-much-cream-and-butter kind of way. I get cocoa, syrupy candied fruits, damp earth, a curious spice, and a touch of nameless flowers. Over all of this though...Heavy cream!! I get what one earlier reviewer said about the nausea-inducting qualities. It smells so rich i almost feel ill, but that's only if i smell it 1) on a warm day 2) in high intensity (i.e. too many sprays) or 3) after i have binged on rich foods and desserts. Otherwise, this is a very unique scent. In the right situation, it smells wonderful. My boyfriend complimented it as well, which is rare these days since he's so used to me wearing different perfumes all the time.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/30/2010 3:22:00 PM More reviews by Ebeth76

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I don't review scents very often because I really don't have a sensitive nose. I wanted to review this though, because I think it is nice, very strong and dramatic fragrance, but what is interesting is it makes my husband go CRAZY. He usually doesn't even like perfume on me, but this is THE exception. I have to say, I think most negatives on here are from people putting too much on. Really, this just takes 1 drop. 1 little tiny drop. it's not like most other fragrances in that regard. Definitely not safe for work, but right before an evening out or well, bed, it's perfect.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/3/2010 4:17:00 PM More reviews by ArizonaAngel

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Just became one of my absolute favorite fragrances for evening. This is perfect for the upcoming cool weather. It's sexy, a bit heavy, slightly masculine with a sweet undertone that isn't overpowering. It is definitely NOT for everyone ~ I bought it unsniffed as I had a feeling this one was right up my alley - and it is. This is a definite attention-getter and superbly unique and has great lasting power (almost too much in a way, don't spray it on clothing you don't plan on washing before wearing again unless you want to smell like this). I adore it! Definite repurchase!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/2/2010 1:17:00 PM More reviews by Noboho

This one was a bit much for me. It is undoubtedly sexy, in a deep, sultry kind of way. When I smell Black Orchid I think of Lauren Bacall and Katherine Hepburn. Women that were very strong yet feminine. The notes are blended well. Of course, the orchid is the most apparent note, but the leather and tobacco notes are quite noticeable. This is the signature scent of a good friend of mine. She dresses in a slightly masculine way and has a strong personality. This fragrance suits her perfectly. I suppose this just works best on women with an air of boldness to their character. I'm pleased with the lasting power, but not with the packaging. Not that it isn't chic, but it is opaque. This makes figuring out exactly how much is left in the bottle tricky. I love how luxurious this smells most of all. It is clearly not a cheap fragrance. One sniff is all you need to understand that. The muskiness in it is a perfect match for the floral note. Lovely scent, but doesn't suit me personally.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/13/2010 11:14:00 AM More reviews by antoniaaddict

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

I first sampled this fragrance while in Harvey nicks.
I sprayed it onto a card and kept on sniffing untill I knew I'd buy it one day.
The scented card was placed into my shopping bag containing my new DKNY scarf.
I ordered the 100ml from Boots online it arrived today.
I am in love with the dark peppery sexual scent,slight sweetness,a mixture of male and female spice.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/8/2010 7:06:00 PM More reviews by chatnoir

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Beautiful bottle but the juice has little to do with it's glam deco packaging. I was so looking forward to smelling this from the description and the bottle, so when I got a large sample from Sephora I couldn't wait to try. Wow, this juice is a hot mess. Absolute quease-inducing vile nightmare. Suffocatingly heavy and sweet. Like rotting candy (if candy could rot) and fruit. Absolutely not this dark, mysterious, sexy fragrance that the bottle, description and ad campaign would lead you to believe. Sickly sweet and heavy, what was Tom Ford thinking? Never before hated a scent so much that I threw away it's sample but this was vomitous.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/25/2010 9:08:00 PM More reviews by Flo422

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

*** EDIT : Apparently, men love this fragrance but women hate it. I'm been told by three men that I smelled really good with this on. One of them told me : "It's exactly the type of perfume I like." On the other hand, my mom hates it because of the patchouli in it and a woman at work asked me not to wear it because it smelled too strong. It sucks that I can't wear this fragrance on any occasion but still, I won't stop wearing it to please people. Bottom line, I don't wear this during summer or at work, but I do wear it to school. Plus, this has definately become, along with CK Euphoria and Dior Hypnotic Poison, my go-to scent for nights out.

// I definately will repurchase even though it costs a pretty penny! Let me explain my experience with this fragrance. First of all, I really like the smell of orchids. I have worn CK Euphoria for 2-3 years and I still like it. Another fragrance I own and love, Guess Gold, has orchids in it. Knowing this taste of mine, I was really intrigued when I first heard of this perfume. I read many reviews about it and found out there were a lot of other notes I would normally like in this fragrance, such as vanilla, sandalwood and amber. Plus, I like strong fragrances that last, project well and catch people's attention. I wanted something unique that people either loved or hated. That perfume definately has all these qualities to it. I became a little obsessed with this fragrance because I knew I was bound to love it, although I had never smelled it! I was disappointed because I couldn't find a place nearby where this perfume was sold. I tried to content myself with the perfumes I already had and liked, but still I had this fragrance on the back of my mind. I finally decided I had to find this perfume and smell it. When I did, I was IMMEDIATELY sold, at first sniff! Everything about this perfume pleased me. It is very special - sweet and spicy, creamy and sharp, feminine with that masculine cologne-y smell which I love. I kept smelling this for 10-15 minutes knowing I would buy it no matter what - like that scent was meant to be mine. I paid about 130 $ CDN including tax for a 50 ml bottle. I remember taking out my sunglasses from my purse and wondering what smelled so good, then remembering that I had kept a paper with this perfume on at the same place, a week or more before!

Note : I smelled TF Tobacco Vanille fragrance at the store and it reminds me of a much simpler version of Black Orchid, since Tobacco Vanille smells smoky and has vanilla in it.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No