October 24, 2014 | 1901 users online

Fragrances - Estee Lauder - Tom Ford Black Orchid

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/4/2011 11:29:00 AM More reviews by gvmullins

Smells great - spicy yet floral...dark and sexy. BUT, it broke me out in a rash. I'm allergic to about half of perfumes out there, and this one falls into the "can not wear" category for me.

So, if you're sensitive to perfumes this will probably make you react badly to it. It's a shame, because it aint cheap!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/2/2011 12:53:00 PM More reviews by 2000wattsmile

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

Not sure if I like this one. Spicy and intriguing with a dirty, unwashed undercurrent. That could be good or bad, depending on mood--it could easily be pleasing or cloying. Definitely a fall scent that should be applied with the lightest hand. It's not a scent that would appeal to a wide audience, so I would avoid wearing this in close-quartered situations with others.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/27/2011 9:59:00 AM More reviews by tecumsum

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This fragrance took me by surprise. Upon initial spray, I was not impressed as I thought that it was overtly strong. However, once I allowed it to drydown, what emerged was an absolutely wonderful fragrance. It is delicious and decadently sinful all at once. I think that this fragrance is especially wonderful in the summertime. It needs heat to open it up, if you will. I get loads of compliments when I wear this sparingly in the heat of summer. Can't stop sniffing my wrists. I am wearing it now and sniffing away. Beware - it is super strong and a little definitely goes a long way. This has somewhat of a decadent licorice smell to me. My suggestion is to spray it on first before going out to allow it to do its magic in the drydown phase...otherwise, it may have people gasping for air. I sampled it on Saturday, couldn't stop thinking about it, and promptly purchased a full size 3.3 oz. bottle of the edp on Sunday. Yes, it is that good!! I would also suggest sampling it first as it is (as all other fragrances) subjective to body chemistry. Only con for me is the bottle, which is black...thus, you cannot see how much you have left. Not a deal breaker though. Perhaps this was done to protect the fragrance from light and sun, which can destroy the chemical makeup. However, I have to say that the simplicity of the bottle with the gold label is absolutely gorgeous on a dresser or vanity. While I have way too many fragrances to declare this my holy grail, I am now definitely a fan of Mr. Tom Ford!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/6/2010 9:31:00 AM More reviews by happywoman28

Age: Unknown Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'm in love with this. I smell woods--fresh cut boards, lumber. It's green and honey-smooth, deep and really strong, a quality hard to find now. I actually sprayed myself with two or three blasts last night and still was catching delicious whiffs of it this morning. No need for the big bottle, a small bottle should last forever. Unlike anything else. It is a tiny bit masculine because of the unmistakable, permeating lumbaryard aroma. And really sexy! It's a green/oriental! I love anything woody or chypre, and to me at least, this delivers. Yummy sandlewood is the main note. But there is that sultry deep honey note coming on strong, and some sort of spice, which I usually hate but here it is quietly intoxicating.
I wouldn't have identified this as an orchid blend. More of a spicey chypre, heavy on wood. Best worn in cool weather, since it is a bit heavy. It is bold and beautiful, and I can positively believe it will be a hit with the men in my life. Just gorgeous.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/29/2010 3:22:00 PM More reviews by missnat

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Okay, this is a first. I'm gonna give 5 stars to a fragrance that doesn't agree with me at all. I sniffed this last night at NM and had a strong reaction. It is absolutely not my style (I prefer light, crisp, green, floral), and had no element that I personally found appealling, but it was exquisite. Black orchid is very strong, sexy, masculine, and unique. It smells over the top, decadent, expensive, complex,and rich as a flourless chocolate cake drenched in ganache. SO even though it wasn't for me personally, I felt compelled to write this review, because I know for some this will be a match made in heaven!

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/17/2010 11:29:00 AM More reviews by atomic_girl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I was hesitant to try Black Orchid, because Tom Ford's White Patchouli was such a disaster on me. I'm glad I tried Black Orchid, though, because this is amazing stuff...a deep, dark, sensuous oriental with rich candied fruit and woody, incensy notes. It makes me think of the rich oriental scents from years past (Lancome's Magie Noire comes to mind) and is a welcome change from all the sugary-fruity-flowery-froufrou-pink stuff out there. Much as I love this stuff, I think I'll have to resist the temptation to wear it to work - it's just not that kind of scent. ;) Highly recommended!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/15/2010 5:45:00 PM More reviews by Sylvanrealm

I said i would buy this again, but I'm honestly not sure. I read a number of reviews before purchasing unsniffed. It sounded gorgeous and I was looking for a new scent for the cool months ahead. The first spray was...interesting. Within minutes, it grew on me. I worse it several days - yes, days- in a row, applying just one spray each time. One evening, wanting a little more intensity, I used 2 or 3 sprays. That almost killed it for me, haven't worn it since. Why? It smells ridiculously rich. Rich in the heavy, high- calorie, too-much-cream-and-butter kind of way. I get cocoa, syrupy candied fruits, damp earth, a curious spice, and a touch of nameless flowers. Over all of this though...Heavy cream!! I get what one earlier reviewer said about the nausea-inducting qualities. It smells so rich i almost feel ill, but that's only if i smell it 1) on a warm day 2) in high intensity (i.e. too many sprays) or 3) after i have binged on rich foods and desserts. Otherwise, this is a very unique scent. In the right situation, it smells wonderful. My boyfriend complimented it as well, which is rare these days since he's so used to me wearing different perfumes all the time.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/30/2010 3:22:00 PM More reviews by Ebeth76

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I don't review scents very often because I really don't have a sensitive nose. I wanted to review this though, because I think it is nice, very strong and dramatic fragrance, but what is interesting is it makes my husband go CRAZY. He usually doesn't even like perfume on me, but this is THE exception. I have to say, I think most negatives on here are from people putting too much on. Really, this just takes 1 drop. 1 little tiny drop. it's not like most other fragrances in that regard. Definitely not safe for work, but right before an evening out or well, bed, it's perfect.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/3/2010 4:17:00 PM More reviews by ArizonaAngel

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Just became one of my absolute favorite fragrances for evening. This is perfect for the upcoming cool weather. It's sexy, a bit heavy, slightly masculine with a sweet undertone that isn't overpowering. It is definitely NOT for everyone ~ I bought it unsniffed as I had a feeling this one was right up my alley - and it is. This is a definite attention-getter and superbly unique and has great lasting power (almost too much in a way, don't spray it on clothing you don't plan on washing before wearing again unless you want to smell like this). I adore it! Definite repurchase!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/2/2010 1:17:00 PM More reviews by Noboho

This one was a bit much for me. It is undoubtedly sexy, in a deep, sultry kind of way. When I smell Black Orchid I think of Lauren Bacall and Katherine Hepburn. Women that were very strong yet feminine. The notes are blended well. Of course, the orchid is the most apparent note, but the leather and tobacco notes are quite noticeable. This is the signature scent of a good friend of mine. She dresses in a slightly masculine way and has a strong personality. This fragrance suits her perfectly. I suppose this just works best on women with an air of boldness to their character. I'm pleased with the lasting power, but not with the packaging. Not that it isn't chic, but it is opaque. This makes figuring out exactly how much is left in the bottle tricky. I love how luxurious this smells most of all. It is clearly not a cheap fragrance. One sniff is all you need to understand that. The muskiness in it is a perfect match for the floral note. Lovely scent, but doesn't suit me personally.