August 1, 2014 | 953 users online

Sunscreen - COTZ - SPF 58

rated 4 of 5 on 6/28/2008 5:51:00 PM More reviews by saratink

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This product is ok-- I bought it based on reviews because I wanted a chemical free sunscreen that provided a high level of protection and wouldn't break me out. This product definitely does the job in terms of providing sun protection and not causing breakouts, but I don't like the way I can just feel it sitting on my skin. It's also a bit shiny and doesn't dry completely matte for me and tends to become more shiny throughout the day. Plus, as with all sunscreens with high zinc oxide, this will accentuate any little flakies of skin on your face, which is not so attractive. There is a light tint to this product, which matches my fair skin tone and helps make you skin look more even, but it would probably not work on someone with darker skin. I would maybe buy this again because it does work good as a sunscreen, but not if I find something better that doesn't make me look quite so shiny.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/11/2008 2:16:00 PM More reviews by sloro

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I have tried SO MANY different sunsceens, both chemical and physical and combined and Euro as well. All have either irritated me because of the Oxybenzone or caused breakouts - usually BOTH! It's more like a tinted moisturizer. I have extremely oily, acne-prone skin with a few dry flakes from Taz. This covers my old acne scars but blends in beautifully with my skin. I do not get extra oily during the day like I usually do with other sunscreens. I have had no issues with clogging or breakouts, which is a miracle for me! CVS will order for you and you can have it within 24 hours, as it can be difficult to find in stores. Price is around $25.
Ingredients:
Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide (Sunscreen), Zinc Oxide (Sunscreen)

Inactive Ingredients: Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Butylene Glycol, Butylparaben, Caprylic/Capric Triglycerides, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetearyl Glucoside, Cyclomethicone, Dimethicone, EDTA, Ethylhexyl Hydroxystearate Benzoate, Glyceryl Stearate, Iron Oxides, Isobutylparaben, Melissa Officinalis Leaf Extract (Balm Mint), Octyldodecyl Neopentanoate, PEG 100 Stearate, Phenoxyethanol, PVP/Eicosene Copolymer, Retinyl Palmitate, Simethicone, Sorbitan Laurate, Styrene Acrylate Copolymer, Talc, Tocopherol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Water, Xanthan Gum

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2008 1:37:00 AM More reviews by sweetgie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I've been using this sunscreen after trying "Clarin's UV Plus 40", Neutrogena Ultra-Sheer that stings my face and the Shiseido SPF 55 which is so greasy, and so many other that I've tried... Cotz Fallene 58 is like a tinted moisturizer that I can use alone (as a sheer foundation) on a daily basis, or I can mix it up with mi liquid foundation (1 part of each) and it gives me more coverage than it alone but still protects my face from getting frackles, wrinkles and age spots. The result is dewy thoug, so if I want it a little more matte on my T zone, I just slightly brush that area with some transluscent powder. I'll keep buying this product even if they triple the price. There's no other better than this one and I don't work for this company neither for a company that sells it.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/21/2007 2:30:00 AM More reviews by signsoflife

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've been using this for about a week and I think this may become a HG item. I have oily, acne-prone skin that's occasionally sensitive. I've tried numerous sunscreens, both chemical and physical, but if I'm out for a little bit, my face feels a little warm that evening like maybe the sunscreen hasn't worked, which freaks me out. That doesn't happen with this sunscreen though. And it doesn't even leave my oily or greasy, for me it does dry to a matte/satin finish. Clinique City Block stayed greasy on me; Sol Bar left me shiny and tight and peeling; I had possible burn/sensitivity issues with DHC White Sunscreen and Sun Play Clear Water.
I'm *really* pale, so the tint actually works in my favor (as long as I rub it in), but I could see the tint (or lack thereof) as a problem for a lot of people. The cost seems kind of high, but seeing as there's nothing better or cheaper, and the fact that there are more expensive products that don't deliver as well, I will stick with this and continue to repurchase.

It's winter right now, but if I have problems with this in the summer (I'm in Southern California and Florida), I will update.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/25/2007 11:17:00 PM More reviews by Bridgetr

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have oily skin that gets flaky and dry from Tazorac. I use sunscreen daily, and this is my current choice. I have used Clinique Super City Block and Almost makeup (both use physical blockers like this) but COTZ's formulation is less greasy on me. The drawback is that those both come in a number of shades, while this only comes in one. I have a light-medium skin tone (like the other reviewer, I am a Nude in Laura Mercier's tinted moisturizer), and I am fortunate that this shade looks fine on me. I do use a powder over it, and sometimes I use LM TM over it too.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/30/2007 1:30:00 PM More reviews by gabiinchicago

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Application: This sunscreen goes on smoothly, but you must rub it in well. I found that it balled up just a bit if I tried to apply something over it, so put your serums and/or moisturizers on first. Concealers, in small amounts, will go on fine over it. It may feel a bit greasy at first, but it dries quickly.

Appearance: Because this is a "mineral" product, it has great coverage with an ivory-fair tint (from the minerals), which looks good on fair to medium skin tones, but it's tough to wear if you're tanned. It also has a slight reflective quality, also due to the minerals. I can use this instead of foundation, but someone with dark skin probably couldn't.

Sensitivity: The zinc is fabulous for irritated skin (it's the same stuff that's in diaper rash cream), so if you tend to break out or have red spots, this will calm them immediately. I also have oily, acne-prone T-zone skin, but this sunscreen doesn't clog pores because it sits on top of the skin (a physical block). It also seems to soften my skin.

The only thing I don't like is the reflective quality of the minerals; I know a lot of people like that about mineral make-up, but with oily skin, I need to put a light non-shining power on top, but I've found that it actually helps set the sunscreen anyway. I use this almost exclusively, but in the very hot summer I really need the power coating to keep it in place.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/27/2007 4:03:00 PM More reviews by Vierge

I have been using Shiseido's 55+ Cream, Bioderma's Photoderm Lait, and Anthelios Dermo Peds 60 (now 50+) for about a year and strongly prefer Cotz to these except in very hot, humid weather. The protection seems equal to the Anthelios and I love that it doesn't contain all those chemicals. The tint is light, as others say, and if I were still tanning I wouldn't be able to pull it off. I wear Nude in Laura Mercier's tinted and this is a little lighter and yellower, though not as pigmented so it blends well. It is ideal for the fall and spring here in the midwest. It does melt in 80+ degrees with any humidity, as other reviewers found, so I reach for the Anthelios when I'm going to be outside on a hot day, the Shiseido if I have an indoor meeting or appointment in summer, and the Bioderma in cooler weather if I'm feeling a little dry. If I could have only one sunscreen I would choose this and carry blotting papers in the summer.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/25/2007 8:10:00 AM More reviews by EffieH

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Silver, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I've been using COTZ for several years now after finding it at my dermatologist's office. It lasts me forever because I only use it around my eyes -- it's always been important to me to use a sunscreen on my delicate eye area, but this is the ONLY one I have ever found that doesn't run into my eyes and burn them at some point during the day. I slather it on, but it never burns! COTZ stands for "Contains Only Titanium and Zinc" so it's very very very mild. (I've never had any type of allergic reaction or irritation from it.) PLUS it's SPF 58!! It's lightly tinted, and since I don't use makeup near my eyes either, it hides any dark circles or flaws nicely while still looking natural and not like makeup.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/19/2007 5:58:00 PM More reviews by forya

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This would be a great physical sunscreen that is water resistant and fragrance free with one exception. They included, retinyl palmitate, a retinol that aggravated my eye lids. After a few weeks, I noticed my eye lids becoming red, itchy and flaky. Compared to other physical sunscreens such as Neutrogena sensitive skin sunblock spf 30 and Clinique Super City Block SPF 25, Fallene is less greasy and the coloring is almost invisible on my medium skin tone. I suppose it is water resistant, but certainly not as resistant as UV Natural.

Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide (Sunscreen), Zinc Oxide (Sunscreen)

Inactive Ingredients: Acrylates C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Butylene Glycol, Butylparaben, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetearyl Glucoside, Cyclomethicone, Dimethicone, Edta, Ethylhexyl Hydroxystearate Benzoate, Glyceryl Stearate, Iron Oxides, Isopropylparaben, Melissa Officinalis Leaf Extract (Balm Mint), Octyldodecyl Neopentanoate, PEG 100 Stearate, Phenoxyethanol, PVP/Eicosene Copolymer, Retinyl Palmitate, Simethicone, Sorbitan Laurate, Styrene Acrylate Copolymer, Talc, Tocopherol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Water, Xanthan Gum

rated 5 of 5 on 8/9/2007 2:53:00 PM More reviews by annemosca

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have very fair skin, and this works well for me. However, it is probably more of a winter sunscreen than a summer one....and since I wear at least a 55 sunscreen 365 days a year, this seems great! I use the lighter Neutrogena Ultra Sheer in the summer when I get sweaty. Still, I like the COTZ, since there is so much crazy info about UVA rays and which sunscreens will/will not protect against UVA. I always have both the COTZ and the Neutrogena around for protection, and I'm going to try the illegal Mexoryl sunscreen soon (ordering it from Canada). I'm insane about sunscreens, and it shows...my totally fair skin looks great at 40. Try the COTZ...you probably won't be sorry...oh, and I LOVE that it is tinted.....what a find!