Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

4.4

Extra-virgin coconut oil.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This is a HG product for me! I have thick, curly hair thats fine, but I have a lot of it. My hair gets greasy and overloaded with product very easily. I've tried olive oil in the past, but that left my hair greasy, was impossible to wash out and did not make that much of a difference. I later went on tot ry coconut oil. I was having the same problems the first few times I tried to use it as a treatment, the same issues I had with olive oil but not as severe. Eventually I got the hang of it. I blow-dry and straighten my hair 3 times a week and very other day I wash it and blow dry again. What I do now is, the night before a wash and blow-dry I put a bit of coconut oil on my fingertips, about a dime-sized amount. I flip my head over and distribute the coconut oil through the length of my hair, focusing on my ends. I then put a small amount of coconut oil on my fingertips and I massage it onto my scalp. I then comb it all through with a wide-tooth comb and I put my hair in a bun for the night. I wake up, shampoo my hair twice very throughly, condition it, get out of the shower, blow dry, and VOILA! My hair looks amazing! At the high end salon that I go to, I usually get a deep conditioning treatment that costs about $20 to get it done. The coconut oil does just what the deep conditioning treatment does! Once my hair is blow-dried, it looks like it does in the salon, so silky and soft! Its a HG product for my frizzy, thick curly hair! I also massage a teeny-tiny bit of coconut oil into my ends every night before I go to bed in order to keep them moisturized and healthy!

I also use this as a makeup remover and when my skin gets very dry and/or chapped! I love it! This is an amazing product and all natural! I would recommend this to anyone!

on 12/17/2014 9:15:00 AM

Great as makeup remover and hair treatment

on 12/16/2014 4:59:00 PM

I agree with the other reviewers that coconut oil works great as an eye makeup remover. It seems to be great for conditioning the lashes as well. That's basically what I use it for. I transfer a small amount out of the large jar into a smaller container for use. I scoop a little bit out, let it melt in the palm of my hand, then pick it up with a cotton ball and wipe my eyelids to remove my eye makeup. One thing to watch out for, after time had passed, my smaller container was moldy! I didn't know coconut oil could get moldy! Other than that, it's great!

on 12/16/2014 4:10:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

Basically, ditto what the person below me said, with a few additions:

> I love it as an eye makeup remover, hated it full face (yes, it's highly comedogenic) and in my hair (felt dirty after double lathering?).
> May be my imagination, but I swear my eyelashes have gotten longer since I started using it. Maybe less breakage due to drying mascara?
> I can't smell it, but my boyfriend swears he can.

One thing I don't like/wasn't expecting: When I bought it, it was basically a liquid with some solids in it. When I brought it home it is completely solid now, I mean not even a cream, but really solid. Kind of a pain in the butt sticking my hands in the tub and digging it out. I know I could microwave it for a minute, but it seems like a hassle. Wish there was a way to keep it liquid.

Really can't beat the price. Lasts FOREVER.

Things I use coconut oil for: EYE makeup remover, deep conditioning hair treatment.

I am reading horror stories on here about people using it as a full facial cleanser and makeup remover thinking, "well, yeah...it can clog pores." To be more clear, it is a highly comedogenic oil and thus, is not suitable for acne prone skin. So, if you know your face, you may know if this is right for you.

However, as a an eye makeup remover, it works great! You can really go to town rubbing mascara off with your fingers and swiping it all off with a tissue. No eye irritation because it's so gentle.

I've only used it on my hair a few times, but it works pretty well! I just slather some on my dry ends and shampoo it out. Can't say it's life changing, but does feel like a standard heavy conditioner.

on 12/14/2014 6:48:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Im in love with coconut oil. Its my go to for everything from hair to body its perfect.

What I use it for:
- Makeup remover, I find it fascinating how it gradually builds up all the makeup and makes it easier to wipe off.
- Facial scrum, easy DIY just melt it in the microwave until theres no more chunks and just add brown sugar.
- Body lotion, CAUTION when using it i prefer to use it at night that way it will soak in as I sleep without leaving oil residue anywhere.
- Hair treatment, I put it on at night, wash it out in the morning (shampooing twice just to make sure theres no leftover oil that will make my hair look greasy) and leaves my hair frizz free, super shiny and soft.

on 12/5/2014 6:39:00 PM

It does an ok job, not amazing. I live at the beach, so I would take some with me to put in my hair after the ocean to try to keep it soft, and it did a great job with that. My hair dried looking soft and not too greasy for the beach. however, as a treatment, i don't think it did much at all. when I would put it in my hair and leave it in for a couple hours before i showered, my hair did not feel softer the next day…
i think it doesn't really penetrate the hair shaft and only helps while it's IN your hair. also it's annoying that it doesn't stay good long enough to use the whole jar. my started going rancid before i had even used half.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Can we talk about oil?

Let's talk about oil. Specifically, let's talk about extra virgin coconut oil which - in the true sense - does not actually exist. There. I said it. Commence the rock-throwing.

What on earth do you MEAN, there's no such thing?!

Well, when we're discussing oils "extra virgin" sounds like the bees knees and you absolutely must buy it because otherwise your head is going to fall off or something.

The problem is that the term "extra virgin" pertains to olive oil and there is indeed a difference between virgin and extra virgin (if you're curious, "virgin" comes from riper olives than "extra virgin"). Olive oil is graded and must actually meet several criteria before it can be labeled "virgin" and "extra virgin". In other words, it's quite well controlled**

Coconut oil on the other hand? There are no guidelines, no rules to follow, no industry-wide definition. Calling it "extra virgin" is nothing but a marketing ploy. A marketing ploy so pervasive that people will actually turn up their nose at you if you aren't forking out the money for Robert's Executive Posh Brand Super Awesome Double Extra Extra Triple Virgin Coconut Oil as opposed to just picking up a jar of Bob's Coconut Oil.

Now in all fairness the industry itself has come to something of a meeting of minds when it comes to using "Virgin" as a label, and this is an overly simplified definition:

Virgin coconut oil : your oil starts out as fresh coconut "meat" and needs no further refining before it reaches your table.

Other: your oil actually starts out as copra, the older dried coconut meat, and this needs further refining before it becomes edible.

But refining is BAD! It's bad! Well, no. It is true that chemically refined products can end up about as natural and wholesome as Bruce Jenner's face. But that's not the whole story. There's more than one way to work that coconut! Refining does not have to involve chemicals and even the bleaching is nothing more than a method of filtering which, again, involves no added nasties.

Ultimately, there are some excellent quality refined coconut oils which are chemical-free and, given that they're still oodles cheaper, there's really no reason why you should eschew them in favor of their costlier friends unless you're looking for flavor.

Virgin: will smell and taste like coconut. Nom nom nom!

Regular stuff: no smell, no flavor. Boo! (but that's actually okay if you want the benefits but not the flavor)

So be curious. Do your research. Ignore bandwagons. Stay away from partially hydrogenated oil and rest peacefully knowing that those same essential fatty acids in that uber expensive brand are still present in your refined oil. And remember that any time you see "extra virgin" coconut oil, it means absolutely nothing at all except a price hike.

** - Yeah, about that.... if you're wanting some EEVO , you best triple check that your oil actually measures up. One or two reputable sources have "named and shamed" some very common brands for failing... Bertolli, I'm talking to you...

on 11/29/2014 1:46:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I think I've tried this for everything I could, and my conclusion is: I'm going to keep it in my food.

I have sensitive skin that clogs easily, so I will not try it on my face, as many lighter oils have only made things worse, and never gave me enough moisture. As a moisturizer for the body, it didn't sink in, and I was left with a greasy body till it rubbed off on everything. Not only that, but my fake-leather chair apparently hates this - the leather began ripping after me sitting in it, all oiled up, a few times. A couple of years ago I tried oil pulling, and discontinued because it didn't whiten my teeth. I tried to take a spoon of this oil every night, but before even 2 weeks had gone, I felt ill every time I took the oil. And mine was good quality, organic stuff. I stopped taking the oil when I once threw up. I have tried this as a makeup remover, and this is definitely not enough to dissolve what I'm wearing, and it's hard to wash off. No other oil has worked for this purpose either. I have tried this for hair, as a mask (kept it in for 2-8 hours, and the three first times, it seemed like my hair was in better condition - I had just coloured it 3 times in a row, and it needed some serious moisture. However, after those three times, it seemed like the oil just pulled nutrients OUT. And it might very well be so, because some vitamins are fat-soluble, so they might have solubilized in the oil and been washed off together with it. The only positive thing with the oil was that I liked the smell.

Now I put coconut oil in desserts, Indian food and sea food - it tastes really nice. I have also tried it in smoothies, but it just solidified again, and I got tiny lumps in my smoothie - might work for those with a stronger blender, maybe?

on 11/29/2014 11:43:00 AM

I used this on my scalp. The main reason why I'm trying this out it's because I've really dry and frizzy hair, and also my hair falls off really easily. I applied a generous amount on both my scalp and the ends of my hair. Then I massage my scalp gently. I leave it on for 2 hours and washed it with soap and conditioner. And I didn't like it. Even though my hair felt a little smoother after I washed it, there's this unpleasant smell that lingers right after. Oh also, I realised that my hair falls off more while washing. It seems like the oil made the roots of my hair weaker. I'm only eighteen, I don't wanna have bald spots :( VERDICT: cheap but nay.

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products