Ulta Ulta- whole store

3.1

on 2/6/2015 6:42:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

If it is possible to buy something at a physical store other than Ulta, I will go out of my way to get it there rather than have to brave Ulta. First, the staff is CLUELESS and doesn't even try to learn or pretend like they know anything. I mean, anyone can Google "best mascara" and have a random suggestion when customers ask what they should try. When I have asked for specific palettes or products, they look at me like I have three heads. My Ultas have products out that you can test, but no testing tools or alcohol to clean the testers with . . . gross. The one star is for the coupons, but 90% of the time, they aren't valid on the brands I want. They also don't give samples, so you can't try anything, and their return policy is not generous. Their customer service is the worst in the beauty business. I bought the wrong shade of a powder online, and brought it into the store to exchange it, with my receipt, product still sealed in plastic. They made a huge fuss and tried to tell me that I couldn't exchange it, then tried to tell me they didn't carry that brand in the store, despite the fact that they do, then told me the problem was that they needed my e-mail confirmation. Any time I order online, it takes two to four weeks to receive my order (!). I have placed Sephora or Target orders and received my items within 3 days-- meanwhile, I'm still waiting for Ulta to process my order for two weeks ago. Why would I pay the SAME PRICE as other stores for CRAPPY service? Thank goodness Target started carrying NYX. I may never set foot in this place again.

on 2/6/2015 6:03:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral

I don't like Ulta's customer service. Not much help offered, plus if you need to return anything, you're made to feel like you're robbing them or something. A few times, the cashier even forgot to give me the free gift with purchase I am entitled to. I never shop at Ulta, unless absolutely necessary!

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse

Ulta stores are NOT created equal. I think with this store it all comes down to the staff. I have three Ulta's within a 10-30 minute rage from me. One of those stores is the next town over and I ONLY go to that one in a pinch or tight on time. The SA's are usually miserable and lack motivation. I know this isn't an exciting job at NASA but some enthusiasm would be greatly appreciated and customers will want to spend money! For spa services or I want to do a haul or take my time, I have to drive to the 30 minute location. Of course, the furthest one is the best one. So, I give this particular furthest store five stars. The sales associates are always eager to help and will go check to see when things will be back in stock. They will, get this, tell you if you have points you can use without you even asking! Also, this location is the largest with the most inventory. The one that is right next to me has dedicated three rows just for Benefit and the whole front store is all Clinique. I'm not a fan of these brands so that is just all wasted space for me. My favorite location is an all in one stop shop! A lot of brands and variety.

As for spa services, I've been extrememly happy with the three facials from this particular location. Icing on the cake, I recently had to use a 50% spa coupon and it was the last day to use it. I had an appoinment for a facial at 2pm. On the way to the appointment, there was an accident on the off ramp and was stuck in traffic making me 30 minutes late to my appointment. I called the store and told them what happned and they said they were booked after me but to come down anyway and they would take care of me. They gave me one of their 20 minute facials which in the end, worked out for me since my day was already shot. The esthetician wasn't moody about my extreme tardiness even though she could tell how frazzled I was. She changed my mood to disgust and embarrassment to calming and content. She really made my day and the service was outstanding. She took the time to go over steps and even warned me of then things might tingle.

I'm a spa junkie. I've been known to get $200 facials. I'm also very critical of them. If I'm paying $200 for a facial, don't lean over me with your garlic breath and use cold fingers! I had one esthetician even sit in the room and chow on her lunch while I laid there with a mask on my face. Granted, there are down times in facials but at least go into a different room!

on 1/15/2015 12:16:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I have a huge love hate (more hate) relationship with this store. While online is fantastic, in store... not so much. The last time I was there, I felt like I was followed the whole time. I work retail, so I get it -- to an extent. Beauty at our store is a huge theft problem. Other times, I stand up front wondering where the heck their employees are. I really hate that. I have walked out of stores for that reason. Usually, the associates are super friendly at the store I go to. I usually don't have huge problems with customer service.

My major problem is their -severe lack- of in store stock. I hate driving all the way out there for them to not have 90% of what I'm looking for. Their drugstore section is heavily shopped. A "find in store" option on their website would be amazing. ULTA, in store, is usually my last resort for purchasing something I need ASAP. The Wal-Mart across the street from my job is stocked 1000% better, sadly.

I LOVE that most of their products have testers (I seriously appreciate this. Most drugstores do not have these!) but that does not stop most of their customers from opening the products anyways. Most of the time, one of the products I am looking for only have ONE left, and it's always open! This is why I'm a huge online shopper.

My store can be really slow at getting new arrivals too. A new line or product that the community has been talking about for months can take months to land. We are in a pretty prominent city. I just don't get it. They seem to have been getting better about this on my last visit. I also wish they had better drugstore selection, in general.

I love the concept of the store. I hate fighting traffic in other big stores when I just want to look at beauty items. They need to keep their stores stocked better.Their sales are pretty awesome. They ALWAYS have a coupon floating around as well.

on 1/15/2015 10:22:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Other, Warm

Ulta is somewhat of a necessary evil for me, since they're the only store in my area (that I know of) that carries certain products and brands (like NYX). My two biggest pet peeves: 1) many of the employees are frequently apathetic. It depends on who is there on any given day. And they are very serious about watching you, I can attest! And 2) (this is my biggest pet peeve) the testers are often missing -- or several perfectly good items, even several of one kind (like one particular color of lipstick or eyeshadow), have been tested by customers, rendering them useless for purchase. I realize this latter pet peeve is not necessarily the store's fault, but I would expect them to monitor this situation and ensure that testers are always available, even if that means compensating for theft of testers (yuck) by ordering extra stock. And speaking of ordering stock, rarely do I find what I came to purchase. They are ALWAYS out of stock on things and telling me that their "truck is coming on Thursday." When I return on Friday, I always find that what I want STILL hasn't been received, and it goes on and on this way forever. :-(

on 1/15/2015 2:42:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I love Ulta...and I shop there a lot. My only beef with Ulta is that when I go in there I'm usually harassed by sales associates asking me if I'm "finding everything OK" 4,000 times, which equals "we think you might be stealing". This ticks me off because I don't steal, sometimes it takes me a while to browse and I spend quite a bit of money there every year! Also, I give the cashier my club card every time I check out but I have yet to discover what the rewards of this is...I've had it for a few years now and never gotten anything free or discounted because of it, soooo...

I was shocked to hear about the reviews of this store! The store that I go to is in Northville Michigan. It's a higher end area of Michigan, but everyone who works there is SO nice. They're helpful, they're funny and fun. Every woman who works there is gorgeous too! I like that they have reps from the different companies there to help too.
And their CLEARANCE!! OH! their clearance. Just..take all my money.
I've easily spent $900 in the past year there since the've expanded their clearance and gotten wonderful deals.
It all depends on where you live I suppose.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Here's my beef with ulta- 1.) I hate shopping at ulta because they act like I'm going to steal something even though my stepmom and I collectively spend approximately $1,000 in that store in a year. They're extremely rude and never helpful when trying to find a product... So I
2.) purchased my most recent seasonal bundle of products online over a week and a half ago, and it's still not here. Every day I track the item, it says it'll be here the next day. Ugh. Sticking with target and sephora. So not worth the trouble.

on 7/17/2014 7:37:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Man, after reading some of these reviews, I'm just puzzled. But to be completely honest, it really all does depend on location and the people you get. My Ulta, in Colorado Springs, CO, is amazing. People there are never too pushy, nor do they ever ignore you. When I was looking confused and puzzled about something, a girl came up to me and simply said if I needed any help, I said "No thank you" and she walked away. After 5 minutes of trying to figure it out myself, I gave up and went up to the same girl and she smiled at me and jokingly said "See, I knew you would need my help!" and she was super super helpful. Every single girl I have talked to there has been awesome. Another day I wanted to try something and had done some research but I still wasn't sure what would work best for me, so I walked up to one of the girls who just happen to be around the Urban Decay section, and asked her. Though it seemed like her main focus was Urban Decay, she walked me over to the drugstore section and actually recommended a few things, and even told me not to get a certain products I was looking at due to my skin tone being too pale, she recommended getting a different product instead, which just so happened to be cheaper!

Every single item I'm looking for (except new stuff, sometimes those go flying off the shelves!) is always there. They keep the whole place clean and tidy, and all the girls there working are knowledgeable. I never leave with something I dislike, and I am always able to return it, even if I opened it and used it.

I can't say I have ever had issues with the rewards point system. Nor have I ever had issues with the coupons not being taken (I never buy anything but drugstore though, because I just can't afford it, even with coupons and deals, etc.).

TL;DR: I really like my Ulta, I never have issues there, and I am always treated nicely and not like a thief. Store is always clean, friendly staff, and stocked reasonably.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

So this is my second online purchase from Ulta, I must say this company has one of the SLOWEST shipping ever! It takes nearly 2 weeks to get to you, Then on top of everything they have a jacked up shipping method...They use Ups but some how both my orders ended up being delivered through Usps United states postal service? ? Real confusing why not just have Ups to drop it off directly? ? Oh and I noticed Ulta only post Butt kissing reviews! They won't post the tactful, honest reviews just wanted to put that out there...I'm a Sephora girl overall they only time I'll s shop from ulta again is if no other store and I do mean nooooo other store has what I'm looking for

Popular Other Products