April 16, 2014 | 1803 users online

Fragrances - L'Artisan Fragrances - Vanilia [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 4 of 5 on 7/7/2008 4:11:00 PM More reviews by katie_alti

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

When I first started my perfume obsession about a year ago, this was one of the first samples I ordered. I instantly liked it (even with my then-virgin nose) and was surprised. I fully expected to dislike it due to it's smoky and grown up vanilla descriptions. At that time I was going more for reference than finding a wearable perfume. I happily used up my sample but never ordered more. When I got Perfumes: The Guide, I was shocked to see that it was rated 5 stars, but not shocked that there was no reference to smoke or a grown up vanilla. I had to order more to remember and am glad I did. I completely agree with the candlyfloss description and that it is best rocked with a sunburn and loud music. I will replace the banana float with a beer, tho. That description for me was spot on.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/28/2008 6:41:00 PM More reviews by GoodGrape

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Well I'm definitely in the minority here. Was anxious to try this, but all I personally got out of it was a soapy musk. Uhh...vanilla? Not. Perhaps a slight hint here and there, but this overall was a no-go for me.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/3/2008 9:59:00 AM More reviews by snarkyharper

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Vanilia was very pretty, a warm, rich and rounded vanilla. I enjoyed it very much while it lasted. I got perhaps one hours' wear out of it, and absolutely no sillage, even after applying liberally. It is a very nice scent, well worth sampling if your skin holds on to L'artisan frangrances better than mine does.
    I would buy it if it were released in an edp form.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/25/2007 8:29:00 PM More reviews by jjff

Many people, myself included, like photographs as the best kind of a souvenir of time passing by, from special occasions to chronicling our everyday lives. All the while, the past also lingers on in our minds in ways unseen, even more powerful than visual imagery as memories grow intertwined with scents. Their ephemeral testimonies are what takes me back in time, deliberately or unexpectedly, makes me relive a moment in the past, resurrecting the atmosphere of a day long gone whenever I reach for its echoes.

December of 2002. My then-husband and I were showing a prospective graduate student, his compatriot, around our mid-sized Southern college town frowning at the cold gloom of short days without snow.

I remember the three of us settled for an evening of conversation and hot cocoa at a quirky local coffeehouse in the Old City. My then-husband's and the girl's melodious talk in the language of Rumi and Hafez, two pairs of sparkling molasses-brown eyes, the coziness of the mismatched light fixtures and bookshelves lining the exposed brick walls. I remember my black cashmere sweater, so soft against my skin, and the scent of Vanilia I had picked that evening, its rich, comforting ambery warmth with delectable smoky vanilla bean overtones.

Time has since gently eroded the particulars of the evening from my memory. Life changed as the visiting student moved to town to continue her studies here, my Persian with eyes like a starry night eventually became another's husband, the coffeehouse went out of business, and the beautiful sweater ended up in a Goodwill donation box. Still, a whiff of Vanilia is all is takes to conjure up the fading memory of a pleasant evening somewhere in time when we were so young and full of hopes and dreams, some of which were not meant to be.

13 out of 24 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/20/2007 10:29:00 PM More reviews by Gracious_Lady

Occasionally, I like to add a "comfort" quality to my spicier perfumes without disturbing the composition of the "lead" spicy fragrance. I figured Vanilla would be a sure way to do this, but had a hard time finding one that I actually liked and that would not "re-arrange" the lead scent. Enter L'Artisan Vanilia... It is abso-perfect for layering under my spicier scents like Organza Indecence. While I would not wear L'Artisan Vanilia alone, it will certainly be a mainstay in my collection as the perfect compliment to many of my fall/winter perfume faves.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/8/2007 11:42:00 PM More reviews by julia178

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Without a doubt this is one of the most intriguing vanilla fragrances I have ever smelled. It starts out soft, slightly woody-smokey and within a few hours it transforms itself into the perfect skin scent. A vanilla that stays close to my skin, a wonderful balance of cozy and sensual qualities. Not foody, cloying or overly sweet, yet ultra feminine. The best part is the staying power, usually on my rather dry skin scents tend to disappear quite quickly, but I put Vanilia on 7 hours ago and it is still there. I am delighted I found this gem and will most likely repurchase. $85 for 1.7 oz/50 ml, $125 for 3.4 oz/100 ml.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/28/2007 8:06:00 PM More reviews by caravan

I love Oriental vanilla scents, so antoher one I expected to adore. Purchased a decant on ebay without ever having tried it before, as so many raved about this smokey, dark vanilla . Maybe I got a bad decant or something, but I smelled nothing but vanilla in an astray. I tried and tried to like this, but was to no avail. I think I swapped it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/8/2007 11:11:00 PM More reviews by pook555

I tried a decant of this first (as it's not cheap - obviously LOL), and fell in love! Now, I will say I'm a vanilla lover (and a lover of foody frags too), but this is not foody, yet it is comforting and sexy all at the same time. I would say that this is my sexy vanilla - something to wear on a nice night out, but also yummy enough to wear everyday (and not overwhelming for those around you either). It is a wonderful combination of vanilla and smokiness that smells absolutely amazing (with a touch of woods thrown in). On me, the lasting power is excellent and only a spritz or two is good enough to last all day. I bought the whole bottle, and I'm not sorry! A new fav of mine too!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/29/2007 11:27:00 PM More reviews by Nickylily

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This vanilla scent is super woody at first. The woodiness does calm down after about 10 minutes, but is still too present and overshadows the vanilla. I don't smell any of the smokiness some described, which I would have liked. It's more like wet wood and vanilla.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/28/2007 5:08:00 AM More reviews by frucht_tasche

I love this scent. It's warm, not too sweet, slightly smoky, just beautiful. A very soft and comforting scent. My only gripe is that it has rather poor staying power (but at the same time, I think it contributes to its light, weightless feel). For me, the most beautiful scent I've come across.