December 20, 2014 | 894 users online

Hair Color - Garnier - Nutrisse Nourishing Color Creme in 535 Medium Golden Mahogany Brown

rated 5 of 5 on 5/20/2012 1:42:00 PM More reviews by prettyinbeantown76

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this hair color!!!! I'm asian and have black heavy hair. I did not want to change the color dramatically where I would not have to touch up the roots very often but still notice the hair color and give it an auburn tinge. This does the trick! I leave it on much longer (50 mins) than the box says as my hair is just so dark and every single time the result is fantastic!
Even my hairdresser at an exclusive salon told me to keep using it as it looks so good. Only tiny thing is i have started getting a few split ends but my hair is really long (goes below the middle of my back) so its bound to happen with any hair color.
love love love love love!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/22/2012 11:12:00 PM More reviews by flybaby

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I was walking down the supermarket aisle and spotted this box. The color on model IS my hair color!

I'd become increasingly more washed out and faded looking trying to color it at home myself the last couple of years. Before my "do it yourself" efforts, I'd gone to a Goldwell salon, and always been happy with the results. So, in October of this year, I started having my hair professionally colored again. (Goldwell) I do not know the formula, but the girl on the box of this hair color was my outcome. My natural color is same level (except for the 40% gray lol) slightly less red, but it turns that shade as hair grows out due to sun, and who knows why else. It just does.

After a few salon visits, I was discouraged at how much it was costing me to maintain my hair, as it grows fast. I'd been looking for a root touch up, planning on trying to stretch out time between salon appointments.

So, when I saw this at the store, I bought a couple of boxes. I'd remembered that Garnier received good reviews on MUA.

AFTER it was on, I sat down, went onto MUA and caught the reviews for this shade, and panicked. I'd only applied it to the 1/4—1/2 inch of regrowth. I didn't want dark roots! So, I didn't leave it on for the full time, only about 18 -20 minutes, and it was all good, perfect match. However, the color faded fast.

This past week I used the remaining half box, along with the full box, doing all of my hair, expecting it would be darker, and deciding I was okay with that. I covered roots completely, and saturated most of under layers of hair, and then for the top layers I tried to leave some strands untouched (as highlights) ... the result??? My hair was the same color as it always is! It matches the example on the box.

I know its typical for home hair dyes to be darker than depicted, I don't know why it doesn't turn out darker for me, but I wanted to write this review, to emphasize that if its important to you to know exactly how its going to take on your hair, then its a good idea to do a strand test.

The result is still shiny hair, but I didn't use the conditioner that comes with it, I used Oribe Signature Moisture Mask, and left it on for about 40-45 minutes.

Is it as shiny as when I have it done at the salon? No—but I am satisfied. And, to be able to do it every three weeks at home for under $10 when I can't get away with under $100 at the salon, makes this an acceptable compromise.

4 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/8/2012 12:36:00 AM More reviews by ForMeItWorks

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I first saw this product and shade in particular on a Garnier commercial featuring an African American model. I fell in love with the color. So much so, that I contacted the company to find out which product and shade the model used (535). I hesitated in purchasing it because of previous mishaps with other hair color products, but I finally bought it. I am so glad that I did. I am African American with relaxed, dark brown, hair. I normally stretch my relaxers 10-12 weeks, but was stretching longer this time. I was about 13 weeks post when I used this product. I was also about 20% gray. I gray strictly at my roots (about 1-2 inches). I applied as directed and left to process for about 25-30 minutes. I also loved the Avocado Oil conditioner that came with the product. My hair took the color very nicely. I like that it has a natural look, not all one color. My hair now has natural looking highlights. I will purchase and use this product again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/2/2012 2:52:00 PM More reviews by amanda23

I've been wanting to try this for awhile now, after reading all of the great reviews on here and I am not disappointed. It is a very lovely color, slightly darker and more red than on the box but I have a feeling I will grow to love it even more as it fades. My hair is naturally an ashy brown but I had some bland-looking highlights that I wanted to cover. This still allowed my highlights to show through some and it looks very natural. My hair also feels and looks healthier than it did prior to coloring. I will use this again!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/6/2011 11:38:00 AM More reviews by duncan123

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

This color is really, really pretty! My natural hair color is dark brown but there's a lot of gray there (I'm 51...). For the past year or so I've been using Nutrisse Raspberry Truffle (Soft Mahogany Dark Brown) which is really pretty too. But a friend at work had such pretty color in her hair and she told me she used Nutrisse Chocolate Caramel. I had seen this color but figured it was too light for me. However, after reading the reviews on here that it comes out darker than on the box, I bought it yesterday and colored last night. It IS lighter than Raspberry Truffle, but not significantly so. What I do notice more are the red highlights. I have a new hairstyle -- long bangs, shorter in back and you can really see the red highlights shining through my hair. My mother was a red head and so I've always had natural red highlights and this reminds me of my hair pre-gray but enhanced! I wanted to give this color a '5', but since I just colored last night, I want to see how it fades down. My husband even noticed and said he liked it because he says it brings out the green in my eyes. I'll update this after 6 weeks which is my usual schedule for coloring my hair. In general, I don't color with anything other than Nutrisse. I've tried many others, but I always go back to Nutrisse. The smell isn't as pungent, my hair always looks healthy, the conditioner that comes with it is great and I've never had a bad result. This color in particular is a winner for me. As I said, I'll update if it turns on me, but for now this is VERY pretty!!!! :)
3/4/12 -- I have colored with this a couple of times since this review. I receive more compliments from this hair color than ever any I think I've ever used. My hair stylist loves it, my mother loves it, my friends love it. I have been told it makes me look younger (I'm 51) and my Mom (who is a natural red head, though quite gray now, lol) told me "ok, this is what your hair was SUPPOSED to look like when you were young instead of your Dad's very dark hair", LOLOLOL!! I'm sold. If they discontinue this, I will cry, lol.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/16/2011 10:44:00 AM More reviews by LimeyLemon

This color is in a word, beautiful. And also, it's nothing like the color on the box lol I am naturally pretty red, so I wanted to darken my hair down from a nondescript mousy brown and sickly looking blond highlights. I chose this color based on the reviews and prayed for the best. I did do a strand test first to see if it would hide my highlights which it did do. I next applied the color to my whole head and left on for 25 minutes as directed. I was a wee bit worried when I noticed my roots looking suspiciously orange, but my fears subsided as soon as I rinsed out. I am left with a beautiful true auburn/chocolate color that looks very natural with my pale skin, freckles and dark eyes.

I marked this down one lippie because it smells pretty rancid, and also my hair was surprisingly dry after coloring. I have one streak of auburn/gold in my hair where the dye did not take, bu that may be just my sloppy application. If you're looking for more of an auburn color than a chocolate color then this is for you. Overall, great. I always hit homeruns with Nutrisse color, their engineers have the knack!

rated 1 of 5 on 3/20/2011 4:01:00 PM More reviews by coolio

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

i have light brown hair and it turned it orange and brassy!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/24/2011 9:49:00 AM More reviews by K8

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love this color! I have dark brown, stubborn hair and this turned it into a very pretty auburn. It actually came out a bit redder then it looks on the box. For dyeing my hair so well it was gentle. I've been having a lot of trouble with my hair shedding like crazy and this dye did not make it worse at all.
My only complaint is the conditioner. It was kind of weird - I have very short hair and it didn't seem like there was enough. It didn't spread through my hair very well. I ended up spraying a ton of leave in conditioner in it while it was wet because I didn't have much confidence in the conditioner.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/22/2011 10:06:00 PM More reviews by Karine04

After years of getting my (light brown) hair professionally highlighted with subtle blonde/honey colors, I ran out of time just before going on vacation. I desperately needed to cover my grays and hide my roots, so I read the reviews here and chose this shade. It turned out beautifully. I left the color on for about 30 mins and came out with a gorgeous chestnut shade, with a hint of auburn. I wouldn't call it red--it's truly a subtle, beautiful auburn tint. It's been about 4 weeks now, and the color has faded to a warm chestnut. My grays are still nowhere to be found. I've gotten a lot of compliments on this color, and will definitely be repurchasing.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/3/2011 3:05:00 AM More reviews by thebobcat64

I have used this at least two or three times so far. It is a nice auburn brown. It is darker at first and on me it fades to a nice red/medium brown shade. It has never damage my hair. I will probably repurchase but I want to try Redken's EQ shades and Clairol radiance colorgloss.