October 25, 2014 | 881 users online

Mascara - Kanebo - kate mascara base

rated 5 of 5 on 7/27/2012 11:10:00 AM More reviews by Critterkeeper

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse Eyes: Brown

For those of you haveing a hard time removing this product or any eyemake-up forget the over the counter stuff - put some olive oil on a cotton pad. This will get it off with no problem.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/5/2012 1:21:00 AM More reviews by fvoisine

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

HG!!!! Having never used a base before, maybe i'm not the best to comment but THIS IS AWESOME. especially the new base which comes in black fibres!!!!!! HELLO, NO CLUMPS, NO MESS JUST MAGICALLY ELONGATED LASHES WITH A FLICK OF THE WAND! It does show a bit of white at the tip of your newly luscious lashes but just a dash of regular mascara will do the trick for me or gently rub in some black shadow! AWESOME <3

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2011 2:27:00 AM More reviews by deeburnbridge

So far, I have not found a mascara base that can replace this and whenever I purchase these things, I tend to get an extra as well even though one tube lasts me ages. Anyhow, a new mascara base has been released. I believe the formula is the same but instead of white fibres ~ you've now got BLACK FIBRES.

To be honest, there's no difference to me whether its white or black as going over my lashes with a mascara covers it all black anyhow. I do really like this base though because its the only thing that's light and doesn't weigh it down, hence undoing my lash curls, it thickens and lengthens but still looks very natural. My lashes are not that long, neither do I have them very luscious; really, they're just very decent lashes but Kate's mascara base really helps prep and prime them so they look pretty amazing, almost like I've got falsies on, after mascara.

HG. Nothing can replace this. (I recently purchased a Coffret D'or mascara base. But somewhere in me, I know I'm going to keep turning to KATE because of the price and quality of this product). You can get these at Asian drugstores or Adambeauty.com - he's certainly selling them at the best price possible online.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/19/2011 4:15:00 AM More reviews by MsAzNqTpRiNcEsS

got the newest or reformulated? version of the base...the entire tube is white...this base actually keeps my lashes keep its curl and it also gives me volume...was gonna buy the ysl but so glad i got this for half the amt!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/15/2011 7:58:00 PM More reviews by scmoonster

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

Definitely my HG mascara base/primer. LOVE this stuff!
As stated by others, be careful to apply mainly to the tips, and not close to the base (I've had a few days where those fibers poke into my eye). I didn't like the shiseido base as it was hard to cover (could still see the gray) and it made my lashes stiff, which I hate.
I've never had any trouble covering this base, as all mascaras I've tried over have gone on smoothly and covered the white well. It holds the curl well as yes, I'm asian and one of my eyes' lashes are always straight although the other curls on its own.
I always get compliments and get asked if wearing falsies (my lashes are fairly long on their own).
I use an oil-based remover (by Sonia Kashuk) and don't have any trouble removing this. I realize this may be a problem for faces with an oilier complexion as mine tends to be dry.
I usually stockpile on this stuff through eBay as it's not available in the states. But it's still way cheaper than some HE bases and I look for someone who offers free shipping.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/26/2011 3:25:00 PM More reviews by luno

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

MY HG MASCARA BASE!!!
I don't exactly have short straight Asian lashes as I'm only half-Asian but in no way are my lashes long and lush like the average Caucasian.

But...as soon as I put on my Kate Mascara Base and a good mascara- I have people asking me what false eyelashes I'm wearing! The wondrous fibrelicious powers of this base can make an average mascara seem amazing and an amazing mascara heavenly. As I don't have that much cash to throw around, I'll usually pair this mascara with one of Majolica Majorca's comb mascaras which I LOVE.

The trick is to build up the fibres from the ends after increasing the volume between your lashes, don't pile it on too heavily at the base of your lashes otherwise the fibres will get stuck in your eyes and you'll be annoyed all day and in pain and unapproachable. But really once you get the hang of the application you'll be wondering how you ever lived without it and stockpiling it (if you're not located in a place where it's readily available).

I'll be wearing a mascara with this base all night long and being naughty and not washing off my eye-makeup and it'll still hold the curl and length! I've even done a very unhygienic and crazy experiment of leaving my based-up mascara on for 3 days and they were still standing to attention and curly! This stuff is amazing and all my friends use it and love it because of my raves.

I really don't get all these whiny reviews about a perfectly amazing product! If you're having difficulties removing the stuff then instead of bashing the product which is doing its job of prolonging the curl of your lashes and making them beautiful, why don't you re-evaluate your cleansing routine and products!?

I know it's a bit of a pain to get out but a good cleansing oil will take the stuff right off in seconds and believe me I am heavy handed with my waterproof mascara and bases. I recommend Shiseido's TISS deep off oil and Kose Softymo's cleansing oils followed by a foaming cleanser but any average cleansing oil should do. If it's pulling at your lashes then invest in a lash care essence such as MAVALA double lash or Canmake's Lash Care Essence which are both very inexpensive and as I re-iterated- embrace the cleansing oil! A gentle rub of oil on the lashes shouldn't take out your lashes, don't get me wrong I'll see one or two fall out occasionally but who doesn't!?

The only justified complaint about this product are the fibres irritating your eyes which I get too (rarely but it does occur) and it's particularly annoying if you're wearing lenses. In that case I try to be more careful with my application and just relax in the fact that my lashes look great!

So yes overall HG HG HG HG! Try it! If you don't like it, try my advice! If you don't like it after that then let me know any alternatives to this base because if you can find something better I want it too!

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/23/2011 5:24:00 AM More reviews by Aniger86

Got this mascara base after I read about it on a forum. It isn't too bad but doesn't hold a curl as well as Shiseido's nourishing mascara base. I use this after Shiseido's base on only the ends of the lashes. The fibers of this base sticks to the Shiseido one and make my lashes appear even longer. With the right eyelash curler pad (eyelash curler pads on eyelash curler makes a big difference to the curl achieved) and right mascara , my lashes sometimes are so curled and lengthen they practically nearly touch the brow bone of my eyes, and I'm Asian (I don't have very long lashes, but good lash curler pad+ Shieseido base + kate base + good mascara makes this happen) !

rated 3 of 5 on 1/14/2011 10:46:00 PM More reviews by SweetSharon07

Kate mascara base is so hard to get off that it's not even worth putting it on! It's not only time consuming, but also bad for my eyelashes to keep rubbing them.... won't purchase again.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/23/2010 6:49:00 AM More reviews by pompodore

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral Hair: Other, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I purchased this base after reading the reviews from this site. I have sensitive eyes with lashes that are thin but not too short. My lashes fall out all too easily so that when I use harsh products on may lashes & they start to begin looking sparse :( Anyway... this product was packaged really well & I was quite happy when I applied it. The wand felt great to use and the product lengthened and thickened my lashes. However it did create some clumps which I had to comb out. I wore it all day and when I tried to remove it it would not come off totally after 15mins of washing my eyes. In fact there is some remaining still on my eyes as we speak. I guess that means that the staying power is very good, BUT on my lashes it is very hard to remove & also stings my eyes a little bit. I will not use again as I cannot afford to lose lashes from trying to remove stubborn products. Anyway I will stick to my other favoured lash primers.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/18/2010 11:22:00 AM More reviews by jjcheetham

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

oh my goodness this base is so good!! ive never really worn a mascara base after i got annoyed by loreals double ended mascaras, the white just seemed to go everywhere and didnt do enough to my lashes.
but this is seriously lengthening, and ive found it even gives my lashes volume. ok granted there is some extra work and care involved, i had to get an eyelash/brow comb because the base tends to clump together and because the base is an offwhite, you need to make sure its properly covered up by lashings of black mascara and comb through after to make sure it doesnt look too spidery. and it makes my stickstraight asian lashes curl up!! (as i dont like using eyelash curlers) so it kinda improves the look of my lashes all round! oh and it takes a little effort and care to get off but a good remover shouldnt have any problems. id completely recommend this!!! i got mine off ebay for tuppence :)