November 28, 2014 | 904 users online

Shampoo - Clairol - Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Moisturizing Shampoo

rated 2 of 5 on 5/15/2014 5:20:00 PM More reviews by emathy

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Price: Good! Same as any other average line HE shampoo.

Packaging: Good! Nice control of product coming out of the bottle.

Product (Overall): Great scent but no good for me. My thick, low porosity hair does not absorb coconut well, as I learned sadly after buying this shampoo & the matching condish as a combo ages ago. These bottles are like new but they're no good for me. From the get-go, they left an icky build-up (of coconut oil I'm guessing) and added stiffness to my hair. It's the worst stuff I've tried in the last year for sure. That said, if you know you're definitely high- or normal-porosity (and curly/coily) OR if your hair strands are thin enough that it might do them some good to be bulked up a bit, then by all means give it a shot. This stuff seems to be adored by most curly/coily naturals as long as their hair is thin enough to need a boost, OR exhibits high/normal porosity. If you're not sure of your porosity, consider whether letting your wet hair air-dry can be an all-day experience, and how long it might take for products to sit on your hair before they sink in. (If they almost *never* sink in without heat being involved then you're definitely low-po like me, lol.)

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/18/2014 5:24:00 AM More reviews by hebrides

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have loved this and its matching conditioner for several years. However, I noticed they changed the label when I went to buy some. Lo and behold, they changed the ingredients too. It used to have coconut and orchid. Now, just coconut. Well, this is unacceptable to me. I looked in every store for some old stock. All I found were the travel size for $1.49, and they still had the orchid-coconut blend. So I bought about a dozen.

Why would I do this? I hate companies messing with their products. I will search for the old stock until it's all gone. Then I'll move on.

Why do I love this shampoo? In general all shampoos are disappointing, leaving my hair ultra fly-away and unmanageable. Thus, I only wash my hair once or twice a week. And I only use shampoo or conditioner, not both. When I use both, the hair gets greasy, weighted down, and hideous. You have to use just one of them, and only use shampoo rarely, to clean the buildup of gels. It strips the hair if used too much. However, this one strips the hair far less severely than other kinds.

Another significant reason for loving this is the smell. Which is why I objected to their changing the formula - always a risk that the new formulation will cause me asthma. This is one of the few, rare scented products that does not make me ill.

And finally, I'd like to give praise where it is most important - the results. This product made my long hair glossy like a mirror, thick, full, manageable, and luxuriant. Instead of stick-straight, boring hair, suddenly I had the wavy, thick, bouncing hair of Cindy Crawford. I could feel this silkiness without any weight, even when the hair was still damp. It got more and more beautiful as it dried.

I won't be buying the new formulation, but I will use the tiny sample bottles to the end - hopefully making them last several years as I'll use other products in between. Then I'll move on.

Edit May 5, 2014: I used the tiny samples and they do not work the way the original formula worked. They left my hair greasy and coated - either separately, or together. They ruined this product. I am now downgrading this product to 2 stars because it no longer performs. Too bad.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/15/2014 1:12:00 AM More reviews by melmonster95

I have used this product before and I loved it! Recently I ran out of my regular shampoo and picked this up because I knew it worked. I don't know if I changed or the shampoo changed, but this time it did not work. I washed my hair with it for the first time and my hair felt great! The next time I washed my hair it still looked and felt dirty when my hair dried. I'm guessing that it was the buildup from the shampoo because it seemed to clean very well. Anyway, sad to say that this product does not work for me anymore :(

My hair type: shoulder length, thick & coarse, straight hair

rated 2 of 5 on 2/6/2014 3:28:00 AM More reviews by Arifishface

Herbal essences tests their products on animals. I don't care how cheap it is.. I won't be fooled into thinking their chemical infused product is a good bang for my buck

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/15/2014 1:11:00 AM More reviews by MakeUpIsFabulous

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have thick dry hair. This shampoo has a great smell-but made my hair oily and didn't help the dry hair at all.
Definitely will NOT try this mess again!

rated 3 of 5 on 10/22/2013 5:07:00 PM More reviews by ellielikes

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I have thick, wavy frizzy hair (with ringlets in random places). This shampoo was great for the 1st week or 2 then it started drying my hair so much and making it so unmanageable it's probably from all the bad ingredients, the 1st five ingredients: water, sodium laureth sulfate, sodium lauryl sulfate, sodium cloride, glycol distearate. The few natural ingredients are at the bottom of the ingredient list.

The only things I liked were the bottle and the smell (the smell didn't linger though) but, It will really take a toll on your hair I wouldn't recommend it.

I'll be trying desert essence coconut range when I run out of this to try something more natural.

Hope I helped :)

rated 4 of 5 on 10/7/2013 12:59:00 PM More reviews by Rosahelen

I really like Herbal Essences shampoos and conditioners, they seem to be the brand i use most. it is not my all time favourite brand but i do like it.
I love the coconut scent to this as it is not too strong but you can smell it.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/19/2013 4:50:00 AM More reviews by cherryme

Blue shampoo hmm nice!And it smells nice also. But it weighs my hair down, my scalp itches and my hair gets greasy on the same day. So this shampoo is not for me!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/31/2013 10:31:00 PM More reviews by CSobish

I've got medium length, VERY thick hair and I used this today combined with Keratin Smooth heat protectant spray and after I dried my hair, it was sooo smooth! Seriously my hair hasn't been this soft, shiny and smooth in SO long! (:

It's packaging is so pretty and smells AMAZING, which makes me love it even more!

rated 1 of 5 on 8/12/2013 1:12:00 AM More reviews by kittenstein

After searching the internet for a shampoo that will give my hair good moisture and give it shine I stumbled across this shampoo and read so many rave reviews. I was really excited to go buy it and let me say that I have NEVER used such a bad shampoo!

The first time I used it it left my roots disgustingly greasy as if i hadn't washed it the shampoo properly out of my hair. I thought maybe this was actually the case and gave it a second chance. Big mistake! I throughly washed my hair and rinsed my hair and it still ended up as if I hadn't washed my hair in a week

This shampoo = horrible waxy/greasy roots.

Although the shampoo is terrible the conditioner seems to be alright when used with a different shampoo. I am happily back to using my john frieda brillient brunette shampoo.