Clairol Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Moisturizing Shampoo

3.3

Water, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Glycol Distearate, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Fruit Extract, Orchis Mascula Flower Extract, Zea Mays (Corn) Silk Extract, Fragrance, Sodium Citrate, Cocamide MEA, Sodium Xylenesulfonate, Dimethicone, Citric Acid, Sodium Benzoate, Polyquaternium-76, Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium EDTA, Ammonium Laureth Sulfate, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Blue 1. (2011 formulation)

on 10/11/2014 6:59:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I didn't like this or the matching conditioner. It left my thick, wavy and coarse hair coated and the scent isn't really there either. I won't be buying this again.

on 8/7/2014 12:31:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have been using this shampoo & matching conditioner for about a month now with low expectations considering it was only about 3$ or so & you get what you pay for, the only reason I bought it in the first place was the lovely smell. After the first use my hair was very soft & shiny so I kept using it & over the course of a few weeks it dried my ends into a frizzy mess, left a greasy build up in my roots, & stripped all the shine & natural oils from my hair. I will never buy this again & do not recommend it.

on 8/1/2014 6:46:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I didn't find this shampoo to be any better than alot of other drugstore shampoos. It was drying to my hair, and did not provide really no noticeable moisture to my curls at all. I do not plan to ever buy this product again.

on 7/30/2014 12:06:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I used this for the first time in 2006 and have loved it ever since. I always find myself coming back to this even after venturing off to use expensive, high-end products. The scent, the way it makes hair look and feel, the price... it's pretty unbeatable! I recently started using the 2-in-1 conditioning shampoo as a regular shampoo and follow up with the conditioner and it makes my long, thick Indian hair really soft and manageable.

on 7/23/2014 9:20:00 PM

Initial Review:
Made my hair very "separated" and loose. It was hydrated after first try.. But it's too loose for my liking. It's a shampoo better for hair that is less obedient.

Review after using almost the whole bottle:
If you have sensitive skin, please be on the alert. My entire neck and hairline was on an eczema outbreak, even in places I've never had eczema before. My guess is that there might be as much of harsh chemicals as there is moisturiser in the shampoo. My scalp was also stripped of its natural oils with time, and became itchy and flaky.

on 6/18/2014 1:26:00 PM

smells great, feels great for a cheap shampoo
the whole family uses it
unfortunately, it leaves a waxy, kind-of-dirty feeling buildup on the hair after prolonged use (unless you rotate regularly with another higher quality shampoo). not sure what ingredient is the cause? possibly the dimethicone.
i would buy again, but just know that it can do this and adjust your use accordingly. also good bubble bath. anyway the cheapness of it makes it handy, tho not awesome.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Why I bought it: My other shampoo (Mane n Tail) was protien rich, making my hair a bit dry. So I was looking for a moisturizing shampoo. Pros -smells great ( I love coconut) -cleans hair very well, when I moved back from college, my moms place had hard water coming from the shower. it created build up I my hair and herbal essence was thr only one shampoo I had that could clean my hair -hair is soft for the first uses cons -couldnt use it consistently through a long period of time, my ends started drying my ends (I end up using coconut oil or leave in conditioner) overall good product, still not happy with the ingredients though and the long term effects on my hair. Loved that it got the build up off my hair so its not bad.

on 5/15/2014 5:20:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Price: Good! Same as any other average line HE shampoo.

Packaging: Good! Nice control of product coming out of the bottle.

Product (Overall): Great scent but no good for me. My thick, low porosity hair does not absorb coconut well, as I learned sadly after buying this shampoo & the matching condish as a combo ages ago. These bottles are like new but they're no good for me. From the get-go, they left an icky build-up (of coconut oil I'm guessing) and added stiffness to my hair. It's the worst stuff I've tried in the last year for sure. That said, if you know you're definitely high- or normal-porosity (and curly/coily) OR if your hair strands are thin enough that it might do them some good to be bulked up a bit, then by all means give it a shot. This stuff seems to be adored by most curly/coily naturals as long as their hair is thin enough to need a boost, OR exhibits high/normal porosity.

spring 2015 update:
I've been doing a modified MHM (Max Hydration Method) off and on since the summer of 2014 (and loving it), so sulfate-containing shampoos are not on my shopping list anymore. I've also learned from doing MHM that if you're protein sensitive (like me), coconut oil will probably not work for you, because it acts like a protein (even though it isn't one).

on 4/18/2014 5:24:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I have loved this and its matching conditioner for several years. However, I noticed they changed the label when I went to buy some. Lo and behold, they changed the ingredients too. It used to have coconut and orchid. Now, just coconut. Well, this is unacceptable to me. I looked in every store for some old stock. All I found were the travel size for $1.49, and they still had the orchid-coconut blend. So I bought about a dozen.

Why would I do this? I hate companies messing with their products. I will search for the old stock until it's all gone. Then I'll move on.

Why do I love this shampoo? In general all shampoos are disappointing, leaving my hair ultra fly-away and unmanageable. Thus, I only wash my hair once or twice a week. And I only use shampoo or conditioner, not both. When I use both, the hair gets greasy, weighted down, and hideous. You have to use just one of them, and only use shampoo rarely, to clean the buildup of gels. It strips the hair if used too much. However, this one strips the hair far less severely than other kinds.

Another significant reason for loving this is the smell. Which is why I objected to their changing the formula - always a risk that the new formulation will cause me asthma. This is one of the few, rare scented products that does not make me ill.

And finally, I'd like to give praise where it is most important - the results. This product made my long hair glossy like a mirror, thick, full, manageable, and luxuriant. Instead of stick-straight, boring hair, suddenly I had the wavy, thick, bouncing hair of Cindy Crawford. I could feel this silkiness without any weight, even when the hair was still damp. It got more and more beautiful as it dried.

I won't be buying the new formulation, but I will use the tiny sample bottles to the end - hopefully making them last several years as I'll use other products in between. Then I'll move on.

Edit May 5, 2014: I used the tiny samples and they do not work the way the original formula worked. They left my hair greasy and coated - either separately, or together. They ruined this product. I am now downgrading this product to 2 stars because it no longer performs. Too bad.

on 2/15/2014 1:12:00 AM

I have used this product before and I loved it! Recently I ran out of my regular shampoo and picked this up because I knew it worked. I don't know if I changed or the shampoo changed, but this time it did not work. I washed my hair with it for the first time and my hair felt great! The next time I washed my hair it still looked and felt dirty when my hair dried. I'm guessing that it was the buildup from the shampoo because it seemed to clean very well. Anyway, sad to say that this product does not work for me anymore :(

My hair type: shoulder length, thick & coarse, straight hair

Popular Shampoos