October 22, 2014 | 1841 users online

Lip Treatments - Lansinoh Lanolin

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2014 12:44:00 PM More reviews by tito_barf

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Give it a chance!
I disliked this at first, because it was heavy and felt like gross vaseline, but now I prefer it over everything!
Pure lanolin is fairly solid at room temp, so you really need to warm it up, either in your hand or on your lips. Once it melts, it goes on like butter. Rub it in nicely, and you'll have soft lips or skin for hours!
I also thought it was breaking me out around my mouth, but it is definitely not doing anything bad. Either it's possible to "get used" to it, or something else was happening.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/15/2014 3:07:00 AM More reviews by lacey77

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Meh, this works well enough...kind of a Vaseline on steroids. I It is very thick so it does a good job of sealing in moisture but tends to make the chapping problem worse with long term use. The packaging gets greasy/linty fast but it is obviously designed to sit in a medicine cabinet, not to be toted around. I used up my tube but will not repurchase.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/25/2013 1:31:00 AM More reviews by camrielynn

I hate to be "that person"-but I also hate putting this stuff on my lips. It's so thick and sticky, I can barely get it to spread over my chapped lips. I can't stand the feel of it, which is a huge bummer because I now have a big container of it sitting unused. I much prefer Aquaphor, which has a better consistency and keeps my lips soft, even in the cold snowy weather!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/3/2013 1:16:00 PM More reviews by FusiaFever

The hype is absolutely true for this product. Apparently, a bunch of people caught on because I got the last large tube in Walgreens. For the record, I later learned that the price was cheaper in Target by $1-2. In any case, this is 100% medical grade lanolin. It is a clear and sticky thick gel coming out of the tube. I just use the smallest drop to coat my lips. It doesn't have a particular smell.

My lips are instantaneously moisturized, no matter their original state. Lips stay moisturized for the entire day. And nothing works as well as this product. Though I admit that I like the smell and luxurious feeling of my other lip balms.

It will take me a long time to get through this huge tube. I will repurchase this when I run out. I plan to de-pot this into a small clear container for easier transport. So much cheaper than Lanolips!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/19/2013 4:33:00 AM More reviews by ArizonaAngel

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Yes this is a marketed as a treatment for breastfeeding moms with cracked nipples. I kind of wish I would have had this six years ago when I had my son! However I am not BF'ing so I bought this for my lips. Since the Midwest weather has turned colder and more windy, my lips are so chapped! To the point that lip gloss looked beyond awful on and even scrubbing my lips did not work. I would pick and peel at them even - to the point of pain. Not good, I know. But nothing worked! Literally ONE application of this and my lips were soft and smooth - no flakiness, no dryness, not chapped at all, just smooth and soft lips. I tired it on my feet too a few nights ago, put on some socks and next morning my feet felt so soft. It is very thick and kind of greasy, but I do not mind. I absolutely need this for the cold Chicago winters and I will for sure buy this again ~ at least until spring hits again!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2013 10:23:00 PM More reviews by slidingdoors

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

The manufacturer of Lansinoh Lanolin is missing a trick by not producing it in a lip-balm-style container and displaying it with other brands' lip balms (such as Vaseline, Chapstick, Carmex, etc.)

I bet more people would buy it that way (certainly more men would!) -- as opposed to the current product placement in the baby/nursing area of a store and the relatively-large purple tube where it's written that the cream is for "sore and cracked nipples"!

(Later, I found it being sold on e bay in tiny 0.25 ounce tubes! But haven't seen those in stores.)

---
I've had unexplained, almost-constant lip chapping/irritation (known as cheilitis) for several years. The condition of my lips will get better and then worse and then a little better, but it's been impossible to get them to the previous normal state of health/normal appearance that my lips were blessed with for most of my life.

Lip inflammation/chapping can be caused by so many things, from food or product allergies to vitamin deficiences or vitamin overdoses to sun damage to cancer to skin infections. I've tried many things, many approaches, and I've learned the things that make them worse -- some foods will, some cleaning products will, some essential oils will, some makeup products will -- so I avoid those.

I've tried many lip balms and ointments. At the start of my cheilitis, I was basically addicted to vaseline/petroleum jelly, but it seemed to be wise for me to wean off of it, and I did so. All other lip products seemed to make my lips worse, perhaps because of ingredients or flavors -- most lip products, even organic and simple ones, have several ingredients that might be irritating, ranging from beeswax to essential oils to colors, shimmer particles, and flavors, and it's hard to pinpoint.

A few months ago, years after developing cheilitis, I developed perioral dermatitis (which can be connected to having a simultaneous bout of cheilitis, but they are not always due to the same cause) and I'm not sure why, but after about a month of having the perioral dermatitis, the condition of my lips suddenly got much worse. I suspect it was caused by having a bad reaction to one of the "dermatologist-recommended" gentle face washes that I was trying, in hopes that it would heal the dermatitis. At their worst, my lips were cracking all over without provocation, bleeding, scabbing, and at times swelling up to twice their size - which was embarrassing in public, physically painful due to their tender nerves, and worrisome.

The only thing that helped turn things around for my lips was putting a tiny bit of plain, full-fat, unflavored organic yogurt on them several times a day (not rinsing it off), especially before bed and after eating. (I also was putting the yogurt on my face once a day as a 20-minute facial mask, to try to treat the perioral dermatitis, which it also helped heal -- to an extent, but not entirely.) Very slowly, my lips improved with using the yogurt several times a day, and it took about a month to get them back to their "normal" (which is not "normal", and is actually flaky and uncomfortable, but at least they are not cracking, bleeding and oozing every day!) chapped / moderate-cheilitis situation where they've basically been for the past few years.

A few weeks ago, I read about pure lanolin and how some people who can't use any other lip products can use this on their lips, to soothe them and moisturize them, so I thought I'd give it a try. It is one of the very few things under the sun that I hadn't tried for my cheilitis.

If you are interested in the background/details of lanolin, you might want to look it up online. I thought this from Wikipedia was interesting: "...studies have shown the durational effect of the emollient (skin smoothing) action produced by lanolin is very significant and lasts for many hours. Lanolin applied to the skin... has been shown to reduce roughness by about 35% after one hour and 50% after two hours, with the overall effect lasting for considerably more than eight hours. Lanolin is also known to form semiocclusive (breathable) films on the skin. When applied daily... for five consecutive days, the positive moisturising effects of lanolin were detectable until 72 hours after final application. Lanolin may achieve some of its moisturising effects by forming a secondary moisture reservoir within the skin. The barrier repair properties of lanolin have been reported to be superior to those produced by both petrolatum and glycerin. ...[L]anolin was shown to be superior to petrolatum in reducing the signs and symptoms of dryness and scaling, cracks and abrasions, and pain and itch, ...[and] significantly superior to petrolatum in assisting the healing of superficial wounds."

Prices at drugstores/supermarkets in my town range from $10 to $14 for a 40 gram tube. On Amazon, I found this in their "subscribe and save" program (which you can order a product through, then cancel or postpone future shipments with no penalties) for $6.79 with free shipping. (And if you order 5 sub & save items together, you get 15% off.)

---
Update - October 2014

Lanolin has really helped my lips this past year. It drastically reduces their flaking, tenderness, reactivity to foods/chemicals/dry air/etc. I usually only have to apply it twice a day and the protection lasts.

Sometimes I still have a minor cheilitis flare-up, often when someone nearby is using a chemical that I react badly to (such as pine-scented cleaning products), but my lips are 90% better than they were, and I'm grateful to have found lanolin!

(Notes:
-I tried it on my cheeks where I have perioral dermatitis, but it did not help with the rash and caused little pimples to form, so I only use it on my lips.
-Some people have a bad reaction to lanolin, so you might do a 48-hour test patch if you have never used it before.)

22 out of 22 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/5/2013 1:12:00 AM More reviews by xenobia1968

This stuff is great after a hard core chemical peel! I will never be without it again! I've often thought of telling people who have dry, cracked feet about it, but I like my life so I'll keep my pie hole shut lol Am I the only one who can't stand to see some ugly feet in some cute sandals? Seriously!

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/5/2013 12:32:00 AM More reviews by trickmaus

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This product is 100% lanolin in a little purple tube. Lanolin, if you don't have any allergy to the product, is incredibly beneficial to your skin. It's thick and sticky, but it really does seem to have a healing effect. I use it for so many things...for my cracked cuticles, for lip balm (this is the BEST lip balm, btw), for moisturizer when my skin needs some extra help from Retin-A dryness or recovering from a peel...the list goes on and on.

Some say that the purple tube is a little embarrassing to pull out in public, being that it is intended as a nipple cream...but unless people are looking closely, I really don't think they would ever know. For $9, this is definitely worth a try.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/28/2013 11:28:00 AM More reviews by MrMontyBurns

The hype is all true! I used to be a die-hard Aquaphor fanatic, but this surpasses it. Seems that dr lipp has turned into a trendy thing, but they perform equally in my experience, plus this is easier to find and a little cheaper.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/11/2013 1:35:00 AM More reviews by Nirvarna0

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I was using Vaseline for my lips/nose area because it all gets sooo dry at night. Sometimes I would have to reapply it though. The lanolin is not like that. Once you put it on, it is mostly all there in the morning. My makeup looks a lot better on the skin around my mouth and nose since I've been using this. Love it.