March 1, 2015 | 1149 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - beautyblender - the sponge

rated 5 of 5 on 1/27/2015 9:25:00 AM More reviews by love_e

The best thing to ever happen to me. I have dry/sensitive skin with dry flaky patches. Every single foundation brush I used just irritated my skin, make the flakes even worse, and it ends up being patchy and cakey. I like sheer/glowy/natural finish and this does the job perfectly.

I have tried other dupes but they do not even come close to this. It's expensive for a sponge but its well worth it for me.

My only con is it leaks a lot of pink dye. I don't really want that near my skin and after a few washes the sponge also looks quite old/beat up.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/22/2015 6:15:00 AM More reviews by TruthSerum

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This product is a total freaking scam! And I fell for it...
Summary of product:
Magenta, egg shaped makeup sponge.
Comes 2 to a package ($20 at Sephora).
To be used while damp on clean, dry, moisturized skin.
Place a pumpful of foundation on back of hand. Dip damp beauty blender in foundation. Apply to face using a gentle stippling (aka dabbing) motion. Apply multiple layers of foundation if necessary.

Pros:
Super freaking soft! I have to say, it is so gentle on my sensitive skin <-- reason for star 1.
Provides a nice and even application. HOWEVER, it's no better than the makeup wedges I buy from Target (a package of 50 costs $4.00) <-- reason for star 2 because, hey, it does provide a nice makeup application in general.

Cons:
Where do I begin?
HYGIENE! Oh my goodness! The unhygienic nature of this product is ridiculous. It didn't even hit my until after I used this product for the first time that I'm supposed to use this same sponge for 3 whole months. Even with the obvious washings this thing recieves, that is way too long of a time to use a single sponge. It is impossible to wash away 100% of all bacteria from the sponge. Inevitably, this bacteria will manage to thrive on the beauty blender over time. Worst part is, the Beauty Blender Cleansing Solid costs and extra $15 at Sephora. Basically, you're spending $35 for two pink sponges and soap... That's ridiculous. This is why I prefer the wedges from Target. They come out to 8 cents each and can be thrown away after a week or so of use. So, time to do the math... using the beauty blender, you get 6 mon the worth of use (3 months per sponge, 2 sponges per pack) for $35 (including cost of cleanser). Using the makeup wedges, I get a year's worth of wedges for $4. I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't have the money to spend $70 per year on a makeup applicator and its special cleanser. On the other hand, $4 per year I will happily spend for something that works just as well.
Too absorbant! A full 2/3 of my foundation gets trapped in the blender! Basically only 1/3 of the foundation makes its way only to skin, the rest goes to waste. Can you imagine how big of a waste of money it is to only be able to actually use 1/3 of the foundation you buy? Not only is it a waste of money, it leads to too sheer of coverage. I need something that can place enough product on my under eye are to cover dark circles. This beauty blender simply cannot! If I apply foundation and then use the beauty blender to try and apply concealer, hardly any of it makes its way onto my skin. Worse yet, if I use a concealer brush to apply a thicker layer of concealer amd then try to blend it all together with the beauty blender, it picks up and essentially removes all of the concealer I had applied to my skin.
The price! I've already covered this, but I felt the need to list it as a separate bullet point because it truly is a huge negative of this product!
Not a durable product. Yes, I realize it is a sponge so, it's not exactly strong. However, the tip started to tear/wear out after only a week of use (primarily, I used the tip for my under eye area to get a precise foundation application).

Overall, if you use the beauty blender as directed, it will work well. However, it is comparable in results to a much MUCH cheaper and hygienic makeup wedge when used for a sheer makeup application. It cannot provide a moderate or thick application. It costs $20 for a 6 month supply. It costs an additional $15 for the cleanser. It soaks up makeup like crazy (costing you yet more money!). It is not durable enough.
Be smart. Skip this product. Get yourself a package of makeup wedges and save yourself $66 per year.

10 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 1/22/2015 4:50:00 AM More reviews by fatima323

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I never right reviews here, but it's almost 2 am and I can't sleep so let me share with you my thoughts. First of all I have tried every beauty blender knock off and the original one and they awful. Damp, super wet l, or just plain dry, this sponge acts like a sponte because that's what it is, it absorbs most of the product and you are left with an uneven and sheer bad foundation coverage on your skin. I have tried this with th e kat von d d and revlon color stay foundations which are the most pigmented, heavier and overall full in coverage, and this stupid thing still managed to thin out the foundation damp or dry. I don't understand the fascination with this product and others like it. It gives you no coverage and eats up everything! Even if you are expecting a natural and light coverage finish, this will actually leave your face without any product. This is basically smearing your foundation all over your face until the sponge eats up the foundation and leaves you with zero product on your face. Awful, truly awful product.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/19/2015 11:32:00 PM More reviews by laranoesta

I did not understand the hype about the beauty blender until I forked over the 20$ at Sephora to get my hands on one after having my color matched foundation applied with the BB by one of the Sephora artists. I fell in love with the finish it left me with and was so happy how natural my foundation looked. This is also the only thing I use to blend in my MAC prolongwear concealer and Highighter. Seriously the finish is unbelievable! I know it seems expensive but if you take care of it you only have to buy it once. That being said, I found a box of 2 beauty blenders from amazon for $24, so keep your eyes peeled for those babies!!!

In terms of performance I give 5 stars, but for cleaning up and everyday maintenance the BB is kind of difficult to deal with. Washing it poorly I guess will leave your sponge with tears and holes in it, which arent a problem for makeup application but just look gross and make me not happy when my sponge looks old.

I have the special liquid cleanser that you are supposed to clean it with but i find that i get similar or even better results when i use a mild liquid face or hand soap

happy blending!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/19/2015 10:06:00 PM More reviews by genieofthelamp

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've had the original beauty blender for a little over two weeks now, and I can't believe it hasn't been more than that, as now I can't imagine applying my foundation in lieu of this magic pink egg.

For awhile I was unwilling to fork over $20 for a sponge (twenty bucks to a student is like, a week's worth of ramen noodles!), seeing as I mainly use foundation and concealer for color-correction and brightening for my combination-oily skin, but--and I can't believe I'm saying this--the beauty blender is 100% worth your investment.

I had previously used both the e.l.f. Powder Brush and the Real Techniques Expert Face Brush as per Youtube/MUA reviews, but neither had really fulfilled the flawless-yet-natural look that I had been going for, despite using full-coverage, luminous, all the way to dewy foundations and tinted moisturizers. Prior to both, I had used a cheapo $3 large and triangular makeup sponge I'd bought at Duane Reade. While the sponge had worked better than the brushes an infinity of times over, it still wasn't able to achieve the perfect finish.

When I finally succumbed to the beauty blender, I had been shopping in Sephora with my best friend (who is male and quite oblivious to the never-ending struggle of the female beauty lover), and he'd immediately turned up his nose at a $20 sponge. Of course, being me, I was more than willing to give it a try after the poor results from lower-end alternatives.

After dampening the sponge (others have said to squeeze it in a paper towel after you squeeze it out the first few times--I prefer not to, really), I dot my foundation all over my face using my finger and dab over areas in which I feel I need more coverage. Then taking the rounded side of the beauty blender, I bounce it all over my face to blend out the makeup. Since I go to school early in the morning, the key to a good tool in my opinion is ease of use and speed. And good Lord, this thing gets my face done fast.

I've gotten way more compliments on my skin since using it, from my friends, to my boyfriend (which is tough--he doesn't understand makeup either), to my parents (which is even tougher). My best friend (male culprit numero uno) has admitted the little pink egg worked wonders.

In order to clean this darn thing, and get ALL THE STAINS out (as much as I love the sponge, it stains like a mofo), I follow a reddit thread I found and dab it into baby oil. I then pinch the stained area using the fold between my index finger and thumb, and follow up with shampoo to get the oil out, gently massaging the sponge and squeezing away all the suds. Yes, it does bleed pink dye as you wash it, but that hasn't affected performance as long as I've been using it, and the bleeding has lessened with daily washing and since I've added the baby oil to the washing routine. In order to keep sponges lasting as long as possible, you should NEVER wring them out or twist them, or they'll tear. And then I leave it out sitting on its pedestal (the container it had come in) to dry and not develop mold.

Bottom line? I think everyone should at least try it, minding budget. I haven't tried the Real Techniques Miracle Sponge as I wanted to have my opinion formed on the beauty blender first (and now, I think I'm spoiled by this experience lol). Since I love it so much, I do plan to repurchase in the very near future, if just for a back up, and they've rolled out a limited edition one in Sephora red just in time! ;)

tl;dr BUY IT

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/19/2015 12:33:00 PM More reviews by violetmist

I held off a long time before buying because $20 for a sponge??!! But I concede it does do a really good job HOWEVER, in the end my foundation looks exactly the same when I use my Shiseido foundation brush - and I will never have to replace that. It doesapply my concealer much better than my fingers or my brush though. What I don't like about this is that loads, and I mean loads, of pink dye comes off when it is washed. Clearly this stuff is coming off on my skin too. So I won't repurchase unless one is available without colour.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/19/2015 11:58:00 AM More reviews by jorjagal

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Grey, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Received as gift after a friend learned I was exploring "dupes". The sponge is wonderful and I really like it. HOWEVER, there are dupes that work just as well for me. As much as I like the beauty blender, I think I prefer the Real Techniques. I'm 70 with fair skin so really good foundation application is a must. Gotta hide those wrinkles and pigmentations without looking made-up. Right, senior ladies?

6 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/17/2015 4:30:00 AM More reviews by nooms10

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I just love this sponge! I always get compliments on my make up looking air brushed. I have had expensive make up brushes but still felt my foundation just wasn't 100% I would much rather buy the beauty blender over a brush any day. Is simple to use and the results are fab! I can't say enough good things about it! I always buy on Amazon it is cheaper for the same product!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2015 12:42:00 PM More reviews by Hannika

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I really love this sponge! My makeup looks really dewy when I use the beautyblender. The bb makes use even out of some foundations that I have once deemed too thick or cakey looking. Applying foundation to nose area is also very easy due to its shape. I wash my bb with the cleanser after each use, but the sponge hasn't lost its shape (I have used it 5 times a week for almost two months).

It is true what a previous reviewer wrote, the bb doesn't do anything what a good foundation brush wouldn't do. However, with beautyblender I receive the same finish way more faster than with a regular brush, which is really handy on early mornings. Therefore, I believe that this is especially a great product for people who aren't so used to applying their makeup with brushes.

The only downside for me is the price, since it is pretty pricey and you have to replace it (approximately) every three months.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/8/2015 2:07:00 PM More reviews by bikerchick

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I am in the minority here, but I really don't think the Beauty Blender is the amazing life changing beauty product it is claimed to be. I finally got with the times and bought one several months ago, I purchased the white "Pure" version and solid cleanser. I was so excited to use it and see what all the fuss was about! I made sure to read directions and checked out some tutorials first. It seems like every time someone doesn't like a popular product, people assume it's because they don't know how to use said product (I see you Younique mascara!) I know how to use the Beauty Blender properly and I still don't like it. It does give my foundation a nice smooth finish, but I can achieve the same look with a brush. I do like using the blender to sheer out some of my heavier foundations, it does a great job of that. It soaks up a ton of product and feels a little wasteful, especially if you're using it with expensive high-end foundations. This thing is definitely not a game changer for me at all. My white blender hasn't looked clean since it's first use, no matter how thoroughly I cleaned it. It actually looked so gross that I threw it away after only a handful of uses. And I honestly don't even miss it.

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No