January 28, 2015 | 1934 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - beautyblender - the sponge

rated 5 of 5 on 1/17/2015 4:30:00 AM More reviews by nooms10

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I just love this sponge! I always get compliments on my make up looking air brushed. I have had expensive make up brushes but still felt my foundation just wasn't 100% I would much rather buy the beauty blender over a brush any day. Is simple to use and the results are fab! I can't say enough good things about it! I always buy on Amazon it is cheaper for the same product!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2015 12:42:00 PM More reviews by Hannika

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I really love this sponge! My makeup looks really dewy when I use the beautyblender. The bb makes use even out of some foundations that I have once deemed too thick or cakey looking. Applying foundation to nose area is also very easy due to its shape. I wash my bb with the cleanser after each use, but the sponge hasn't lost its shape (I have used it 5 times a week for almost two months).

It is true what a previous reviewer wrote, the bb doesn't do anything what a good foundation brush wouldn't do. However, with beautyblender I receive the same finish way more faster than with a regular brush, which is really handy on early mornings. Therefore, I believe that this is especially a great product for people who aren't so used to applying their makeup with brushes.

The only downside for me is the price, since it is pretty pricey and you have to replace it (approximately) every three months.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/8/2015 2:07:00 PM More reviews by bikerchick

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I am in the minority here, but I really don't think the Beauty Blender is the amazing life changing beauty product it is claimed to be. I finally got with the times and bought one several months ago, I purchased the white "Pure" version and solid cleanser. I was so excited to use it and see what all the fuss was about! I made sure to read directions and checked out some tutorials first. It seems like every time someone doesn't like a popular product, people assume it's because they don't know how to use said product (I see you Younique mascara!) I know how to use the Beauty Blender properly and I still don't like it. It does give my foundation a nice smooth finish, but I can achieve the same look with a brush. I do like using the blender to sheer out some of my heavier foundations, it does a great job of that. It soaks up a ton of product and feels a little wasteful, especially if you're using it with expensive high-end foundations. This thing is definitely not a game changer for me at all. My white blender hasn't looked clean since it's first use, no matter how thoroughly I cleaned it. It actually looked so gross that I threw it away after only a handful of uses. And I honestly don't even miss it.

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/8/2015 12:45:00 PM More reviews by roo5667

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I absolutely love this thing. I'm new to using foundation and I used to hardly wear it because I would apply it with my fingers and either get it uneven, too much, or not enough. I thought maybe it was because of the drugstore foundation I use, but that wasn't the problem. You eliminate the need for a mid-high end foundation with this product, so even though the initial investment is a bit pricey for a sponge, you will save money in the long run. Not only does it give a beautiful finish, but it makes applying makeup super quick and easy. The only tiny downside is cleaning it...but it is definitely worth it. I would recommend it to anyone who has a hard time applying foundation correctly or wanting to get a high end makeup finish with drugstore products.
Check online sites such as amazon...it'll be cheaper than in the store.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/5/2015 12:31:00 AM More reviews by duhnyela

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The best sponge ever! I love my BB! Blends your foundation so nice and leaves a flawless finish. Make sure to wet your sponge and dry it a bit before using for better application. Quite pricey for a little sponge but definitely worth it!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/3/2015 3:30:00 AM More reviews by holly5652

I LOVE MY BEAUTYBLENDER! It just blends out your concealer and foundation so seamlessly, it's truly a miracle product, I have tried cheaper no name brands and even the Real Techniques cheaper alternative and they simply do not compare. The beautyblender is just so soft, its the best make up sponge.

The pointed side is amazing for blending in around your eye, with the bottom and sides being great for the rest of your face. The only downside is the hefty price tag attached ($20 on a sponge???!!!) people will think i'm crazy for spending this much every 3-4 months. The other small downside is how to clean the sponge - although the next thing on my list is the beautyblender solid cleanser to fix this problem!

But the truth is, I will repurchase over and over again. I was without one for a few months as I live in Aus and have to buy online, so with the price tag and added shipping I kept putting it off and boy did could I tell a difference - my face make up did not blend properly (and it was also significantly more time consuming), i got a foundation line on my chin, it was just cakey and a hot mess.

In all, if you are debating this product, but are worried about the price tag or wasting money; don't be. It truly is a miracle product, with nothing else even coming close to being as wonderful as it :)

rated 5 of 5 on 1/1/2015 12:35:00 AM More reviews by StinaBaby

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

At first I didn't like this sponge for anything other than concealer. I don't think this is a great idea for acne prone skin.

I initially used this by applying the foundation to the sponge from my palette (squeezed foundation onto a palette then picked up with sponge) but it absorbed A LOT of product.

After not doing that for a while, I one day applied the foundation to my face and then pounced my dampened (and squeezed in a paper towel) to blend. That made all the difference. I didn't have the massive waste of product and my skin looked awesome.

For powder, I don't suggest this be used with pressed powder. But it works wonderfully with loose powder to set the under eye and other spots concealer was used.

If you don't want to use this as your "brush" to buff/apply foundation, I've found it effective at making skin look perfected and getting rid of brush lines

As for the dye coming out of the sponge: I never had that issue. I washed before initial use with baby shampoo. And after EVERY SINGLE USE I make sure to wash thoroughly.

I see women complaining about stains and whatnot "never getting out" but if you cleaned the sponge after using your heavy duty foundations and concealer, you won't have the issue.

I used the cleanser that came with my duo pack, but I can get my blender just as clean with other soaps.

My 1 year old took a bite out of my blender one day, but I wasn't throwing out my $20 sponge because of it. I took a manicure scissor and "sharpened" the angle the point comes too. And I still love it.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/25/2014 9:16:00 PM More reviews by purpletter5

So everyone has been going crazy about this sponge, so I really wanted to try it, and as for my first impression, this sponge is MAGIC! Creates such a flawless finish it's amazing. And it's so easy and quick!!! For me, I say instead of buying a $54 brush, buy this instead and you will get amazing results! The price is a little too much. And the packaging is so simple and cute. I love this! I recommend it for everyone!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/19/2014 12:42:00 AM More reviews by sarah_417

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I seem to be in the minority, but the beauty blender was just one of those fad things that some people absolutely love, but it just didn't work for me.

I have uber dry skin, and thought using the damp sponge might help with applying foundation. It just didn't work for me at all. It seemed to "kick up" flakes as I tried to work product in. Thinking maybe it was my foundation, I tried with different foundations, using it both dry, damp, and quite wet. Initially it would leave a nice finish, but once the dampness on my skin from the sponge dried, my skin looked uneven and blotchy.

Assuming I had been using it wrong, I went to youtube, trying to find a different technique. No luck. Not to mention, this sponge eats up product like crazy. I went from a half pump (before BBsponge) on my YSL foundation to 3 pumps. The coverage on my foundation went from full to medium using the sponge too.

Washing:
This is a pain. It takes forever to dry. Even a small amount of cleaning product, and this takes forever to rinse clean. But without a decent amount of cleaner, the makeup is still very visible on the surface. It looks stained and yucky even after a thorough washing. It takes even longer to dry.

I pull it out of my drawer from time to time, but always come to the same conclusion. I finally tossed it, and got some real techniques brushes. They are working much better for my dry skin.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/18/2014 11:24:00 PM More reviews by daisyismydog

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

While I'm not aware of there being any differences between the various colors offered, this review is for the pink beautyblender.

I was incredibly skeptical of a $20 sponge and wasted my time and money with some cheaper options before biting the bullet. However, since purchasing (about a year and a half ago) I have definitely fallen in love and have even gone so far as to gift others beautyblenders as well.

To use, I completely wet my beautyblender at which point it expands in size, then I squeeze out excess water. If I'm feeling particularly fancy, I'll then wrap it in a paper towel and squeeze out more excess water but most of the time I skip that step and haven't seen any reduction in performance. I then dab liquid foundation directly onto my face using my fingers, following up with the beautyblender to stipple it over my face.

A foundation that may look pretty decent with a skinlike finish when applied with fingers is transformed to a slightly dewier, but still believable finish. This method also applies my foundation more evenly, and doesn't leave streak marks as a brush does (which I find absorbs more of the product too).

I also occasionally use a beautyblender to apply concealer for more even coverage and to help prevent cakeiness. Sometimes if I'm wearing powder foundation which I prefer using brushes for, I'l dampen a beautyblender and gently pat my face with it to absorb excess powder for a more natural finish as well.

The beautyblender is a sponge material and can be sensitive to sharp objects so I have nicked it with my nail before and it has a tiny hole in that spot. However, the hole hasn't grown noticeably larger even with washing either before/after each use so I imagine this will last me a while. After about a year of using it about 3x a week the only difference is that the pink dye has faded so instead of the hot pink it was originally it's a slightly dulled bubblegum pink however this hasn't affected the performance. As a side note, I love using olive oil bar soap (I use Kiss My Face but Dr. Bronner's is a really popular brand) to clean mine and it gets out all the stains.

Contrasted with the dupes I tried (a generic 4-pack off Amazon, and then a slightly more expensive $10 sponge) I find the beautyblender expands much more, is softer, and absorbs less liquid product making it a more economical option in the long run. If you're using it with powder foundation to go lightly over when you're done applying with a brush, I think the dupes would perform just as well.

Overall, the beautyblender suits my needs since the finish of products matters a lot to me and I wouldn't hesitate to repurchase in the future. However, for anyone who is happy with how their foundation looks already, I don't think this would be necessary.