beautyblender the sponge

4.4

FINALLY bought into the hype and was ready to be disappointed as I couldn't see how it could possibly be as good as everyone says it is.

BEST DECISION EVER.

Gave - surprisingly - incredible coverage with just my standard foundation and some concealer - a feat. considering my severe scarring and hyper-pigmentation.

Great with liquid foundation, powders, concealer, highlighter, everything.

I though other sponges I'd used were amazing but this makes them all look crap.

It may be expensive but given it replaces my 7 other brushes and 2 sponges I used to use regularly (which came to a total of way over £100) it's value for money. Additionally it made my £10 drugstore foundation and £7.50 concealer look like high-end products without me having to splash out on them.

Worth every penny in my eyes.

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

Totally love this blender. Works like magic. I think i can live with only beauty blender and without any other brushes. So smooth and flawless, easy blending, not time consuming,

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

use this for all of my face makeup even powders! I have the pro beauty blender ( black one ) worth every penny because I stopped using face makeup brushes.

The bottom line for this product is, if you think $20 is too expensive for a sponge then no amount of rave reviews will change your opinion. In this case of course RT and other dupes will always be more attractive simply due to their price point and *almost* comparable performance.

BB will most likely be best value and give you the best results if you wear a medium-high coverage foundation often - in those situations BB's ability to sheer out the textures of those foundations and "airbrush" the application while still giving you full coverage comes in the handiest and is the most satisfying. Furthermore, the better you take care of it the longer it will last (gently but thoroughly cleaning it with a mild soap after every use and storing in an open area with lots of airflow). Those who are good about keeping their tools nice and clean will find that a $20 BB is a great beauty investment - a great basic tool to have that lasts.

I don't quite understand the reviews on here that say it uses up more product than a brush or your fingers. The hydrophilic sponge material is supposed to soak up and hold in water, making it less likely that the sponge will absorb your product. This is why BB works best when damp. I got mine as a present, and will most likely repurchase, although I will try my best to find it at a discounted price somewhere.

I didn't "get" the beauty blender for a long time - why would you spend $20 on a sponge when you can get the same one at Shoppers for a few dollars? But last Christmas, I had a Sephora giftcard and there was a double pack for cheap - I figured I may as well check out one of the most popular beauty products of all time.

And I'm SO glad I did.

Other sponges simply don't compare. When used correctly, this makes my foundation coverage look flawless and natural, even when I've applied several layers. Moreover, my skin has become a lot clearer since I started using it (probably because it's easy to give this a quick spray of cleanser everytime you use it).

Yes, this product is way too expensive for what it is, but with how great it makes my face look, it's a cost I can justify.

I bought the beauty blender because of all the fuss and reviews that it is amazing and irreplaceable. It is amazing, but NOT irreplaceable! I first purchased the Miracle sponge by real techniques (about a month and a half ago) and i was my first interraction with makeup sponges. I was amazed from the 1st application, i will never ever use my fingers again!

While searching for youtube videos about how to make the best of this sponge, i got to realize that the beautyblender was so much more expesive! i had no idea and i bought the micracle sponge because that was the most reasonable looking sponge in Boots (they didn't have beautybelnder at all anyway). So now i bought the beautyblender out of curiosity and to understand why most people say that miracle sponge is good, but not as good as the beautyblender.

Not that i have tested both, i can't possible understand why people would pay 3 times more for the beautyblender. Unless you have supervision, there is no difference in the finish between the 2 sponges! They maybe have different composition, but the result is the same!!!! So, the reason i am giving this a 3 is because the price doesn't justify the results when there is a competitor product doing the same, 3 times cheaper.

- there is no difference in "bounceability" between the 2! And if there is, i don't see a difference in the end result!
- BB is NOT softer than the miracle sponge. This was a shock as eveybody says that BB is softer. It's not, on the contrary, once wet, the micracle sponge is slightly softer and less dense than the BB which i like more
- miracle sponge washes better, it's easier to get the foundation off. I washed my BB this morning and it is still stained, probably the composition of the sponge retains product, which i don't like. i feel it's dirty even though i washed it. Also, and this was a big dissapointment, once i washed the BB, when i squeezed it, the water was PINK because of the colorant used. I hope the colorant is natural (is it?), but that was so disappointing!

All in all, BB is a great product, foundation will not look the same with any other product, EXCEPT the miracle sponge which gives the exact same finish.

And, if you're thinking it, i don't mind the £12 i spent on BB, i don't find it that expensive, but if i can get the same result with less money, why not? i am not trying to "shame" BB, but seriously, if you are thinking about buying one buy a miracle sponge first and if you are not happy with it, then buy a BB - but i guarantee you won't see a difference :)

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I had used the Real Techniques dupe of this product for a while before I decided to purchase this to see if there really is a difference. Honestly, I don't see why I should pay $20 when the RT sponge is just as good for $6. The only big difference I noticed is that the beauty blender is a bit easier to clean in that my foundation gets cleaned out more quickly than from my RT sponge. But we're talking like a 2 minute difference here. So personally, while this works great, once it has run its course, I'll be going back to the RT makeup sponge.

This is great for my Bobbi Brown BB cream, looks like a "better version" of my skin, because you can still see the skin under the bb cream.I hate foundations because of the "mask effect" so I love it because it makes me look so natural. I used to use my fingers but you can't comparet, this delivers far better results and the application is easier and less messy. Would definately buy again.

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine

I bought a Sephora brand similar sponge to save $. Used that for 3 years, without it breaking down. On a whim I bought The Sponge 2 weeks ago. It is So Much Better! Soft and the pointy end is great for concealer and the corners of your eyes and nose! And the large end provides flawless coverage--amazingly better than the knock-off!! I'm so surprised and pleased. I'm looking forward to applying my foundation in the mornings! Even at the price, this is one of those worth it things.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Alright, let's talk about the beauty blender. This will be a very long review so that I can cover all the bases.

I would rate it about a 3. I sort of like it, I don't love it. I think there is a lot of hype about this product that needs to be addressed though.

First off, this is a very hit and miss product for foundation. I have quite an expansive makeup collection which means I have dozens of foundations that I have tested this with. I have come to this conclusion: the beauty blender is suitable for matte, full coverage foundations. It works with SOME medium coverage satin finish foundations but more than likely it does not. I love this with my Kat Von D Lock-It foundation, and my Makeup Forever Matte Velvet foundation. The Beauty Blender, however, *completely* sucks up my MUFE HD foundation which is a satin finish. I need 4 pumps, even 5, of the product to get a decent amount of product on my face, and even then it doesn't compare to the coverage I get out of 2 pumps with a brush. This does work decently with my L'oreal True Match (satin) however. Again I have to use quite a bit more but it's not to the degree of the MUFE HD. Do not even attempt to use this with a light coverage dewy finish foundation. You will need 4x the product in that case. It is a complete waste.

My best recommendation is if you're rich and don't care about using 6 pumps of a foundation, the finish will be beautiful no matter what foundation you're using honestly. If not, stick with thicker foundations with the Beauty Blender. The Tarte foundation is a gel consistency, as well as the Mac Studio sculpt (also a gel) so those work better with the BB.

This works quite beautifully with undereye concealer, any of them frankly because of course they tend to be thicker. It blends concealer out without pulling your undereye area, takes away enough product so that you don't have too much excess under your eye. Despite this, I don't really find myself going to my washroom to wet my BB, get a towel, dry it, do my makeup, and then wash it afterwords and put it in a ventilated area to assure it doesn't get moldly. It's just a long process, you know? I don't find myself reaching for it often. I'd like to, but I always think 'nah I'm not up for it right now'.

Also, I do think my BB might have developed mold despite me putting it in a well ventilated area, washing it pretty frequently and only owning it for about 1.5/2 months. I'm not sure 100% sure if it was mold, or just a pesky stain. I tried scrubbing at that area and all the other spots came out, while that darkish area did not. To be safe I ripped out that area of my beauty blender and watched over it to see if anything else would develop. So far, it's fine. But I'm just not sure if it's worth all of this.

Last but not least, the price is goddamn ridiculous. It's a sponge, if the price was *maybe* $15 CAD I wouldn't be so hesitant to use it and repurchase it. Alas, this sponge is a whopping $28 CAD. I do think the producers of this sponge went down the wrong road. Of course it's a money maker and popular but I know many people who have never repurchased it because of the insane price every 3 months for such a simplistic object. If they had kept the price honest and advertised this as an intelligent alternative to a makeup brush more people would come back to it. Why would I buy this when my makeup brushes can last a lifetime? All I see is a hassle that is more expensive, sucks up product, an annoying process to use, a health concern, and overpriced sponge.

Overhyped, and I have been let down in a majority of ways. It's not the worst thing out there, but it's not worth what it does. I'm going to try the Real Techniques Sponge just for curiosities sake but if that doesn't work out I'm pretty much done with sponges in my makeup routine.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools