September 19, 2014 | 1761 users online

Treatments (Face) - Stieva-A tretinoin gel

rated 5 of 5 on 9/7/2007 11:51:00 AM More reviews by Smurfette_in_Canada

Thank God I discovered this stuff. I have been using it for almost a year now and my skin hasn't looked this good in a long while. Every time I tried to go off "the pill" my face would breakout really badly...and I was always left with red scars.
I'm very pale so the red scars were really obvious. I started with Stieva-A 0.025% gel...and now I'm on the 0.05% gel. My skin is a lot more even and the red scars are now pink and smaller, easily covered with foundation, my pores look smaller too.
***the first few weeks using this stuff was hell...peeling, redness, sensitivity...horrible....but I stuck through it and I certainly got the rewards.
I'm 26 so I don't have any wrinkles...but I guess it will be a while before I do....because of this stuff....and I use sunscreen during the day.
My only regret is that I didn't start using this 10 yrs ago.
I'm in Canada and it costs me $25/ 2 tubes (fee inc)

rated 2 of 5 on 5/16/2006 1:15:00 PM More reviews by Murielle

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Cheap enought but didn't do the job. This is a generic Retin-A product available by prescription in Canada, manufactured by Stiefel. I purchased 3, 25gram tubes of 0.05% strength, the cost was only $33 including shipping.

Having really oily skin I wanted to use a gel form of tretinoin for anti-aging and clogged pores. I had previously used the European 0.05% Kefrane tretinoin gel which worked well but the texture was insanely sticky and unspreadable.

The texture of the Stieva-A gel is very unusual, not sticky at all but it's almost dry feeling when you put it on.

The base ingredients are very simple: alcohol anhydrous, butylated hydroxytoluene and hydroxypropyl cellulose.

I wasn't able to find the alcohol percent but it feels very high. Eventhough I adjusted to the peeling, my skin could not take the alcohol burn when I put it on.

Unlike other tretinoin preparations I have tried, this one did not help my clogged pores at all. Even using a heavy Renova generic (Retacnyl) I could see my pores cleared the morning after use. This one nothing.

Another annyoing aspect of this product is that in trying to counteract the alcholol burn with applying moisturizer first, the gel would only ball up when applied on top (or even when applying moisturizer on top).

Overall, not worth the trouble.