October 25, 2014 | 1495 users online

Lips - TheBalm - Stainiac in Prom Queen

rated 3 of 5 on 3/1/2011 10:06:00 AM More reviews by sunday1966

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

This is a fairly good lipstain. It didn't make my lips feel dry and flaky and it's easy to apply. Other than that I don' think I will ever buy a lipstain again. I have this in Prom Queen but since I'm brown skinned with dark colored lips it's hardly visible on my cheeks and lips because of its sheerness. Not bad at all but I personally need something that offers me a bit more color and coverage.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/25/2011 11:51:00 PM More reviews by arielicious

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was formerly using tarte's cheek stain in flush.. it was ok but after applying, my cheek would feel sticky for a good 5-10mins. I much prefer this than tarte's cheek stain.. after applying 2 stripes on my face and spreading it on the apples of my cheek, it doesn't feel sticky at all! the colour is a little like benetint but a slight pink-coral tone to it and i absolutely adore that shade! It is not a very dark shade but definitely buildable for those who want more colour. I have tried it on my lips but it seeped into the lines on my lips and made it even more obvious. Despite using lipbalm over it, my lips still felt dry.. so i'm using this only as a cheek stain. Staying power is decent, lasts about 6-8hrs on me and i have slightly oily skin so, it's been great. I'm onto my second bottle of stainiac and i would definitely repurchase!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/20/2010 12:37:00 AM More reviews by rachelnash13

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've tried a lot of different lip stains and this one is the best I've used so far. The texture is great -- not too liquidy or goopy. I usually dot it on my lips and use my fingers to blend in, wait a minute for it to set, then either put a clear lip balm or lip gloss over it. It gives my lips a very natural flush that I can also make darker by adding another layer. On the cheeks, it's best to use over moisturizer so it doesn't look too streaky. (Although I still prefer Tarte's cheek stains, this one is a good alternative.) Of all the shades, prom queen is the one that looked most natural on both my lips and cheeks -- I have olive skin and dark hair.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/20/2010 5:19:00 PM More reviews by olivedgreen

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Other Eyes: Black

This is by far my favorite lip coloring product. I don't have to worry about it transferring anywhere, and it gives my lips a pretty color (looks like I just ate a cherry popsicle!). The color is buildable, so you can build the color from a slight red to a vibrant one. I'm definitely going to buy more colors.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/8/2010 6:17:00 PM More reviews by hwnpunch

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I just got this lip/cheek stain in a recent Sephora purchase and so far I really like it. I was a bit unsure what the color was going to be like when I ordered but it was just what I was looking for. More red/coral than pink. I think this looks more like a natural flush than powder blush and lasts a long time on both my cheeks and lips. I definitely had to use lip gloss or balm over this when using as a lip stain or my lips felt dry and a bit tacky. I don't have a lot of experience with stains so I can't compare this formula to another but I do feel like this is a bit tricky to apply evenly to my cheeks. It starts to get tacky fast making it harder to move around so you have to blend it in quickly. Price wise compared to other brands this was the most reasonable and I can definitely see myself buying this again when I run out.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2009 4:43:00 PM More reviews by basbleu613

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I think this might be my first HG!!! I am a huge sucker for lip and cheek stains and have to try out every one I see. I've been using the original Stainiac in Beauty Queen for some time, but the color was never really quite right for me. Anything with even a slight blue tone will go fuschia on me, and Beauty Queen was no exception. I could get the color to work if I kept the coverage very light, but that kind of defeats the purpose, no? But I loved the gel texture, the non-leak-prone packaging and the staying power.

So when I saw Prom Queen in Sephora, I had to give it a shot. It is by far the perfect color for me. Sort of a warm watermelon-pink-coral-sheer red. It looks more pinkish in the bottle, but goes on me as a warm sheer red-watermelon. It makes my fair-medium yellow-toned skin go all creamy and it makes my dark brown eyes pop. Sort of a warm-toned version of the Snow White look.

The gel is highly blendable on cheeks and looks wonderful and natural on lips. Note that the color takes a few moments to settle; it will appear rather bright until it dries completely. Love this stuff!!!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/14/2008 10:17:00 PM More reviews by cuddly_penguin

Have already re-purchased twice already. HG stain for me -- great color which REALLY enhances the natural color of my lips. "Homecoming Queen" is OK but too orangey. Benetint is too "harlot / cherry popsicle" red. Vicent Longo lipstains (I have 2) seem way too dark for daytime. Not this precious little gem. So far, it's the ONLY natural-looking, long-lasting lipstain ever. Love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/31/2008 10:19:00 PM More reviews by rachelalger

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I could write an entire letter to Marissa Shipman (founder of theBalm) on how much I love this stain; I figured the least I could do was write a review!

I have tried Tarte cheek stains, and not been that impressed (I love Tarte, but the stains are overrated.) So, when I read the MUA reviews on Stainiac, I headed to Sephora to try it. I was sure I was going to love homecoming queen, as peach blushes are my favorite. I have medium skin with yellow undertones and found the homecoming queen to be too orange. I figured I should at least try the Prom Queen, but I was sure that it was going to be too pink. I have never been more wrong about a product! Prom Queen is a beautiful pink that (at my skin) has a peachy-pink quality. HG cheek stain for me. It perks up my entire face, glides on with ease, and gives you the type of glow you always hoped you had.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2008 9:51:00 PM More reviews by nin6

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Love this. I have the original berry color too, which pretty. This one is more red, so I like it when I want a more dramatic look. Really like this product. Staying power is not good, but other than that, great product.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/8/2008 6:56:00 PM More reviews by souporsunny

A pretty rose color, a little darker and redder than benetint. I like that its a gel consistency and with a doe foot applicator. It stays on for quite some time. Definitely would repurchase.