July 29, 2014 | 1824 users online

Styling Products - cornstarch

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 2/17/2014 4:04:00 PM More reviews by diggitybomb

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

love this!! its the cheapest setting powder ever. i was scared it would break me out, but it didnt!!! just be sure to clean your skin well when you get home though. i have extreamly oily skin, and this gives my face a perfect matte effect that doesnt look cakey or fake. if you have darker skin you can mix it with unsweetened cocoa, it works!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2014 11:49:00 PM More reviews by makeupinsider

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is one of the best multi-use powders. It can work as a dry shampoo but it can ALSO work as a setting powder. Did you know Bare Minerals loose mineral foundation is just corn starch and pigment? Well I use this as my setting powder everyday and it works amazingly. I only have to retouch after 4-5 hours which is incredible for my oily/combo skin. Plus, it's really cheap for such a big amount. You just have to be careful to not put too much otherwise there could be a white cast.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/31/2014 3:56:00 PM More reviews by Dozastroze

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I love using cornstarch in my hair as a styler. It beats the Hair Volume powders.
I flip over my hair, apply it to the roots and style as usual.
I recommend this over any well known expensive hair powder out there.
Love it, try it- You're Welcome LOL......

18 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2013 1:15:00 PM More reviews by harrisss

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Brilliant!!!! I have grown my hair quite long and find that just one day after washing it, it appears limp and flat. I try to wash my hair only twice a week, so I began the hunt for a good but inexpensive dry shampoo. I quickly became disheartened because the cheaper drugstore brands all contain denatured alcohol which dries my hair to a crisp. I read the rave reviews here for cornstarch and thought I'd give it a try (I had some in the cupboard...what did I have to lose?). Because I have dark hair, I mixed it with cocoa powder. My husband thought I was nuts. I dabbed some on my fingers and rubbed the mixture along my scalp. I had instant volume and no signs of cornstarch in my hair. My husband complimented me on my hair this morning and I told him I owe it all to cornstarch.
And the bonus...when you add cocoa powder, it smells like chocolate. I'm now on the hunt for an icing sugar shaker for easier application.
**UPDATE
This stuff is still brilliant.
Because this grocery store item adds so much body and life to my hair, I now add it right after I wash my hair instead of waiting until it gets greasy. I put the cornstarch/cocao powder mixture in a shaker and do about four shakes around my scalp. Then I massage my scalp to blend it. I try not to add too much because, if I overdo it, my hair becomes stiff, chalky and tangled. Also, I avoid the ends of my hair because cornstarch will just make them feel more parched. But this mixture is a brilliant rootlifter, better than ANY hair product I've ever tried. Just think of the money I will save.

30 out of 33 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/13/2013 9:41:00 PM More reviews by Lossea

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I must have been living under a rock, or something. I have no idea why it took me so long to find that cornstarch is an amazing dry shampoo! I couldn't afford to buy expensive dry shampoos and, when I was in a bind, I found a tip to use cornstarch instead. I had no plain cornstarch in the house, so I used the powdered egg substitute, first ingredients in which is cornstarch. Because my hair is dark blond, I mixed the cornstarch with equal parts of cocoa powder and keep it in an old e.l.f. powder jar in the bathroom. I apply it with makeup brush, and the hair is instantly fresh-looking, giving me an extra day of wear. What I love is (apart from having my hair smell like yummy chocolate ^_^) that this powder is very fine, and there is no residue felt on the scalp (comparing to baking soda I tried, which is quite big and has not worked nearly as well for absorbing oils). It is also so cheap, and works every time! I will use this method for the rest of my life.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/12/2013 10:41:00 PM More reviews by mirrkat

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Blue

I use the Clabber brand as a dry shampoo. I am not spending a lot of money on a dry shampoo from high end stores. Corn starch is just as good. I have light hair so I don't need to mix it with anything. If you have dark hair they say to mix it with cocoa. I just apply it and blend it, then use a brush to style. I tried another brand of corn starch but it irritated me so I stick with Clabber. I try to only use it once a week sometimes twice if necessary. You don't want to use it too much as it can dry your scalp. If you're scalp is dry, I recommend using raw coconut oil as a mask and let it stay in for a little while, and then shower as usual. The coconut oil will moisturize and treat your hair and scalp.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/27/2013 11:49:00 PM More reviews by stacyk107

I gave corn starch a try and I love it. I have combo skin, but some days it's simply just oily. I'm pretty fair-skinned, and I did add a touch of cocoa powder, just so it wasn't so white, and I'm very pleased with the results. I keep a small tupperware in my bathroom, and shake it up so that some of the powder gets on the lid. Then I take my fluffy brush and tap it on the lid to pick it up and dust on my face. I may have to touch up once or twice during the day, but its ok beause there isn't any buildup that I can see (compared to any previous compact I have used). YAY!!!

9 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/23/2013 5:04:00 PM More reviews by hayleyelwick

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

HOLY MOTHER OF CHICKEN BISCUITS IS THIS GOOD.

Seriously people, I could write sonnets in the way this stuff is wonderful.

I began using this a couple years ago, but it broke me out (Because I had been using it from a box we'd had for a few months. I didn't realize this until recently) So I stopped using it.

Just a few months ago I switched to liquid foundation, and I couldn't seem to find a setting powder that would keep my foundation from looking like CRACKLE NAIL POLISH (seriously, it was that bad.)

But then I remembered this stuff, so I bought some more. It is really messy, but oh so amazing, so here is my tip:

Mix it with alcohol and put it in an empty compact.

AND BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE.

You now have the most perfect setting powder you could ever ask for. You're welcome.

PROS:
*As translucent as a window washed with windex
*Leaves your face soft as a cherubs bum
*Even though you use it in cake, it won't leave you looking like one.
*super-de-duper cheap

CONS:
there are none. JUST GO BUY IT PEOPLE.

56 out of 59 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/24/2013 2:23:00 AM More reviews by rosateh

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Oolalala....this is just AWESOME!!!!

Thanks to all the reviews from MUA I have been apply cornflour as my setting powder for my combination skin. It works great and my face stays matte all day long. I have been spending lots of money in my hunt for long lasting eyebrow pencils and eyeliners but nothing stays on for more that an hour. Just a dab of cornflour will do the job nicely and it costs me almost next to nothing. Works great and easy on my pocket.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/12/2013 7:12:00 PM More reviews by countrygyrl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Oh my godness! I can't believe it! After all these years of looking for the perfect oil absorbing face powder I have finally found it in CORNSTARCH! Yep, thats right plain old cornstarch (with a bit of cocoa powder for color, since cornstartch is really, really white) is the perfect face powder for me. I have used talc baby powder (and cornstarch baby powder -my second favorite) in the past but plain cornstarch (in the baking aisle of your grocery store) is so much better. I am 41 with super oily skin (still) and nothing has held my oil at bay like cornstarch. Beware, plain, food grade, cornstarch can be way too white (unlike talc baby powder or even cornstarch baby powder which seems to mesh with skin in a few minutes) and if you are blemish prone cornstarch can make you break out, since it is food based and it "feeds " off the oil on your skin. I have had no problems with cornstarch. I do, however, make sure I clean my skin very, very well at night and in the am with at least weekly exfoliation since I do full face makeup everyday. I mix plain cornstarch with cocoa powder until I get a more skin like tone. The darker you are the greater the cocoa powder you need to add. I apply it with a fluffy brush over my foundation, sort of buff it in and off and in a minute or so it sets up. I rarely have to touch up!! AMAZING! Thanks to this I can use a cheaper foundation (Wet-n-Wild Coverall) instead of my long term hg Revlon Colorstay. Honestly, if I use this over Colorstay my face feels too dry. Cornstarch is very absorbant! I will never ever go back to store bought finishing powder. This is truly a HG product for me if I have ever found one!! I will do a complete long review of this on my blog "champange beauty on a beer budget".

16 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No