April 17, 2014 | 1936 users online

Styling Products - cornstarch

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/13/2013 9:41:00 PM More reviews by Lossea

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I must have been living under a rock, or something. I have no idea why it took me so long to find that cornstarch is an amazing dry shampoo! I couldn't afford to buy expensive dry shampoos and, when I was in a bind, I found a tip to use cornstarch instead. I had no plain cornstarch in the house, so I used the powdered egg substitute, first ingredients in which is cornstarch. Because my hair is dark blond, I mixed the cornstarch with equal parts of cocoa powder and keep it in an old e.l.f. powder jar in the bathroom. I apply it with makeup brush, and the hair is instantly fresh-looking, giving me an extra day of wear. What I love is (apart from having my hair smell like yummy chocolate ^_^) that this powder is very fine, and there is no residue felt on the scalp (comparing to baking soda I tried, which is quite big and has not worked nearly as well for absorbing oils). It is also so cheap, and works every time! I will use this method for the rest of my life.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/12/2013 10:41:00 PM More reviews by mirrkat

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Blue

I use the Clabber brand as a dry shampoo. I am not spending a lot of money on a dry shampoo from high end stores. Corn starch is just as good. I have light hair so I don't need to mix it with anything. If you have dark hair they say to mix it with cocoa. I just apply it and blend it, then use a brush to style. I tried another brand of corn starch but it irritated me so I stick with Clabber. I try to only use it once a week sometimes twice if necessary. You don't want to use it too much as it can dry your scalp. If you're scalp is dry, I recommend using raw coconut oil as a mask and let it stay in for a little while, and then shower as usual. The coconut oil will moisturize and treat your hair and scalp.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/27/2013 11:49:00 PM More reviews by stacyk107

I gave corn starch a try and I love it. I have combo skin, but some days it's simply just oily. I'm pretty fair-skinned, and I did add a touch of cocoa powder, just so it wasn't so white, and I'm very pleased with the results. I keep a small tupperware in my bathroom, and shake it up so that some of the powder gets on the lid. Then I take my fluffy brush and tap it on the lid to pick it up and dust on my face. I may have to touch up once or twice during the day, but its ok beause there isn't any buildup that I can see (compared to any previous compact I have used). YAY!!!

9 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/23/2013 5:04:00 PM More reviews by hayleyelwick

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

HOLY MOTHER OF CHICKEN BISCUITS IS THIS GOOD.

Seriously people, I could write sonnets in the way this stuff is wonderful.

I began using this a couple years ago, but it broke me out (Because I had been using it from a box we'd had for a few months. I didn't realize this until recently) So I stopped using it.

Just a few months ago I switched to liquid foundation, and I couldn't seem to find a setting powder that would keep my foundation from looking like CRACKLE NAIL POLISH (seriously, it was that bad.)

But then I remembered this stuff, so I bought some more. It is really messy, but oh so amazing, so here is my tip:

Mix it with alcohol and put it in an empty compact.

AND BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE.

You now have the most perfect setting powder you could ever ask for. You're welcome.

PROS:
*As translucent as a window washed with windex
*Leaves your face soft as a cherubs bum
*Even though you use it in cake, it won't leave you looking like one.
*super-de-duper cheap

CONS:
there are none. JUST GO BUY IT PEOPLE.

52 out of 55 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/24/2013 2:23:00 AM More reviews by rosateh

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Oolalala....this is just AWESOME!!!!

Thanks to all the reviews from MUA I have been apply cornflour as my setting powder for my combination skin. It works great and my face stays matte all day long. I have been spending lots of money in my hunt for long lasting eyebrow pencils and eyeliners but nothing stays on for more that an hour. Just a dab of cornflour will do the job nicely and it costs me almost next to nothing. Works great and easy on my pocket.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/12/2013 7:12:00 PM More reviews by countrygyrl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Oh my godness! I can't believe it! After all these years of looking for the perfect oil absorbing face powder I have finally found it in CORNSTARCH! Yep, thats right plain old cornstarch (with a bit of cocoa powder for color, since cornstartch is really, really white) is the perfect face powder for me. I have used talc baby powder (and cornstarch baby powder -my second favorite) in the past but plain cornstarch (in the baking aisle of your grocery store) is so much better. I am 41 with super oily skin (still) and nothing has held my oil at bay like cornstarch. Beware, plain, food grade, cornstarch can be way too white (unlike talc baby powder or even cornstarch baby powder which seems to mesh with skin in a few minutes) and if you are blemish prone cornstarch can make you break out, since it is food based and it "feeds " off the oil on your skin. I have had no problems with cornstarch. I do, however, make sure I clean my skin very, very well at night and in the am with at least weekly exfoliation since I do full face makeup everyday. I mix plain cornstarch with cocoa powder until I get a more skin like tone. The darker you are the greater the cocoa powder you need to add. I apply it with a fluffy brush over my foundation, sort of buff it in and off and in a minute or so it sets up. I rarely have to touch up!! AMAZING! Thanks to this I can use a cheaper foundation (Wet-n-Wild Coverall) instead of my long term hg Revlon Colorstay. Honestly, if I use this over Colorstay my face feels too dry. Cornstarch is very absorbant! I will never ever go back to store bought finishing powder. This is truly a HG product for me if I have ever found one!! I will do a complete long review of this on my blog "champange beauty on a beer budget".

16 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/4/2013 2:32:00 PM More reviews by StrawberryViking

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Simply Amazing. I've worn this all day and not a shiny to be found! Granted, it is fairly cool right now, but that never stopped the oilies before.

I saw some of the reviews on here and decided to give it a go. I bought some of the J&J medicated cornstarch powder to use and it works excellently as a body powder for use on my things, underarms and cleavage.

However for use as a face powder this particular powder left something to be desired.I"m olive-toned and I have dark hair, so cornstarch wasn't ideal.That was until I decided to make my own.

I picked up a jar at hobby lobby to store my concoction in and I started with a 50/50 mixture of cornstarch and rice flour. I then added unsweetened cocoa powder, cinnamon and talcum powder for color as well as for the anti-bacterial properties of the latter two. Then end result was a flesh-colored powder that made my face matte and flawless. I just dip my brush into the jar and tap it on the mouth to get the excess off. I use this mixture for my hair and face.

I love this so much I'm thinking of making my own powder-based makeup with cornstarch and rice powder if I can find the right pigments.

16 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/18/2013 10:56:00 PM More reviews by julilee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I have used cornstarch as a setting powder, dry shampoo, and feminine powder. (The Summer's Eve powder is basically cornstarch.)

I normally don't use face powder, so I'm not sure how it compares to others. Don't use if you don't want to look dewy, and as others have warned, don't use too much! You don't want white patches/streaks on your face. Google "Nicole Kidman/Uma Thurman makeup malfunction" for examples.

As a dry shampoo or feminine powder, I wouldn't recommend it. It shows in the hair (maybe not if you have light hair?), and dries out the scalp (although I guess that's what it's there to do).

Don't ask about its use as feminine powder. I'll leave it at "gross."

UPDATE:
I am using cornstarch more regularly in my makeup routine these days, so I wanted to give an update.

Even well-blended on a fairer gal, cornstarch makes me look like a ghost when I use it on my whole face, and I've been too lazy to do the DIY color customizing thing.

HOWEVER, I read somewhere that it could be used for setting eye makeup and upon trying it myself found that it is VERY well-suited for that purpose.

The first time I tried it, I daubed a TINY bit over my eyeliner. I really didn't think it would work, but it didn't affect the color much and worked very well at keeping things in place. I was happy with the results, but because it does slightly dull the color of the eye makeup, I only use this method if I have heavily applied a softer eyeliner that I'm scared will melt.

My normal routine is to put a VERY SMALL AMOUNT (so that I can hardly even see it) on my ring finger before applying eye makeup and rub it (gently) all over the eye area. My undereye concealer is kind of greasy, so I put it on after that and make sure to BLEND, BLEND, BLEND. It works better than UD Primer Potion for me! The difference is that PP is a little sticky and makes it harder to blend the makeup. The cornstarch absorbs oil and therefore prevents your makeup from creasing or melting into your under-eye area, but since it's a silky powder, it does not affect blending. And because you're using so little, it doesn't affect your eyeshadow's color payoff either. Honestly, cornstarch is now my HG eyeshadow primer. Who knew?

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/9/2013 6:03:00 PM More reviews by girlndocs

I bought and used up a can of Psssst! mainly out of curiosity and it was okay, but it had a strong smell and holy wow was it cold. When the Psssst! ran out I tried cornstarch and was pleasantly surprised. The only thing I don't like about it is the difficulty of applying it neatly -- I have to put it in (and brush it out) before I put on whatever shirt I want to wear that day. I rub it into my roots as best I can, wait about 5 minutes and then bend over at the waist and brush, brush, brush with my gentle Denman paddle brush. The thing that surprised me the most was how shiny my hair looks afterward, as long as I brush enough. It does have a lot of body and looks clean. The cornstarch leaves a slight grabby texture that I really like on second-day hair for doing updos or rolls (my hair is almost shoulder length with a few layers).

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/7/2013 3:40:00 PM More reviews by Beffie40

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I use cornstarch on days I don't wash my hair to absorb oil. I use just a dusting on my fingertips, then I rake through hair at the scalp. It adds super volume too!

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No