Cornstarch as Dry Shampoo

Price: $

Price: $

on 12/31/2013 1:15:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Brilliant!!!! I have grown my hair quite long and find that just one day after washing it, it appears limp and flat. I try to wash my hair only twice a week, so I began the hunt for a good but inexpensive dry shampoo. I quickly became disheartened because the cheaper drugstore brands all contain denatured alcohol which dries my hair to a crisp. I read the rave reviews here for cornstarch and thought I'd give it a try (I had some in the cupboard...what did I have to lose?). Because I have dark hair, I mixed it with cocoa powder. My husband thought I was nuts. I dabbed some on my fingers and rubbed the mixture along my scalp. I had instant volume and no signs of cornstarch in my hair. My husband complimented me on my hair this morning and I told him I owe it all to cornstarch.
And the bonus...when you add cocoa powder, it smells like chocolate. I'm now on the hunt for an icing sugar shaker for easier application.
**UPDATE
This stuff is still brilliant.
Because this grocery store item adds so much body and life to my hair, I now add it right after I wash my hair instead of waiting until it gets greasy. I put the cornstarch/cocao powder mixture in a shaker and do about four shakes around my scalp. Then I massage my scalp to blend it. I try not to add too much because, if I overdo it, my hair becomes stiff, chalky and tangled. Also, I avoid the ends of my hair because cornstarch will just make them feel more parched. But this mixture is a brilliant rootlifter, better than ANY hair product I've ever tried. Just think of the money I will save.

on 12/13/2013 9:41:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I must have been living under a rock, or something. I have no idea why it took me so long to find that cornstarch is an amazing dry shampoo! I couldn't afford to buy expensive dry shampoos and, when I was in a bind, I found a tip to use cornstarch instead. I had no plain cornstarch in the house, so I used the powdered egg substitute, first ingredients in which is cornstarch. Because my hair is dark blond, I mixed the cornstarch with equal parts of cocoa powder and keep it in an old e.l.f. powder jar in the bathroom. I apply it with makeup brush, and the hair is instantly fresh-looking, giving me an extra day of wear. What I love is (apart from having my hair smell like yummy chocolate ^_^) that this powder is very fine, and there is no residue felt on the scalp (comparing to baking soda I tried, which is quite big and has not worked nearly as well for absorbing oils). It is also so cheap, and works every time! I will use this method for the rest of my life.

on 11/12/2013 10:41:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

I use the Clabber brand as a dry shampoo. I am not spending a lot of money on a dry shampoo from high end stores. Corn starch is just as good. I have light hair so I don't need to mix it with anything. If you have dark hair they say to mix it with cocoa. I just apply it and blend it, then use a brush to style. I tried another brand of corn starch but it irritated me so I stick with Clabber. I try to only use it once a week sometimes twice if necessary. You don't want to use it too much as it can dry your scalp. If you're scalp is dry, I recommend using raw coconut oil as a mask and let it stay in for a little while, and then shower as usual. The coconut oil will moisturize and treat your hair and scalp.

on 9/24/2013 2:23:00 AM

Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure

Oolalala....this is just AWESOME!!!!

Thanks to all the reviews from MUA I have been apply cornflour as my setting powder for my combination skin. It works great and my face stays matte all day long. I have been spending lots of money in my hunt for long lasting eyebrow pencils and eyeliners but nothing stays on for more that an hour. Just a dab of cornflour will do the job nicely and it costs me almost next to nothing. Works great and easy on my pocket.

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure

Simply Amazing. I've worn this all day and not a shiny to be found! Granted, it is fairly cool right now, but that never stopped the oilies before.

I saw some of the reviews on here and decided to give it a go. I bought some of the J&J medicated cornstarch powder to use and it works excellently as a body powder for use on my things, underarms and cleavage.

However for use as a face powder this particular powder left something to be desired.I"m olive-toned and I have dark hair, so cornstarch wasn't ideal.That was until I decided to make my own.

I picked up a jar at hobby lobby to store my concoction in and I started with a 50/50 mixture of cornstarch and rice flour. I then added unsweetened cocoa powder, cinnamon and talcum powder for color as well as for the anti-bacterial properties of the latter two. Then end result was a flesh-colored powder that made my face matte and flawless. I just dip my brush into the jar and tap it on the mouth to get the excess off. I use this mixture for my hair and face.

I love this so much I'm thinking of making my own powder-based makeup with cornstarch and rice powder if I can find the right pigments.

on 1/18/2013 10:56:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I have used cornstarch as a setting powder, dry shampoo, and feminine powder. (The Summer's Eve powder is basically cornstarch.)

I normally don't use face powder, so I'm not sure how it compares to others. Don't use if you don't want to look dewy, and as others have warned, don't use too much! You don't want white patches/streaks on your face. Google "Nicole Kidman/Uma Thurman makeup malfunction" for examples.

As a dry shampoo or feminine powder, I wouldn't recommend it. It shows in the hair (maybe not if you have light hair?), and dries out the scalp (although I guess that's what it's there to do).

Don't ask about its use as feminine powder. I'll leave it at "gross."

UPDATE:
I am using cornstarch more regularly in my makeup routine these days, so I wanted to give an update.

Even well-blended on a fairer gal, cornstarch makes me look like a ghost when I use it on my whole face, and I've been too lazy to do the DIY color customizing thing.

HOWEVER, I read somewhere that it could be used for setting eye makeup and upon trying it myself found that it is VERY well-suited for that purpose.

The first time I tried it, I daubed a TINY bit over my eyeliner. I really didn't think it would work, but it didn't affect the color much and worked very well at keeping things in place. I was happy with the results, but because it does slightly dull the color of the eye makeup, I only use this method if I have heavily applied a softer eyeliner that I'm scared will melt.

My normal routine is to put a VERY SMALL AMOUNT (so that I can hardly even see it) on my ring finger before applying eye makeup and rub it (gently) all over the eye area. My undereye concealer is kind of greasy, so I put it on after that and make sure to BLEND, BLEND, BLEND. It works better than UD Primer Potion for me! The difference is that PP is a little sticky and makes it harder to blend the makeup. The cornstarch absorbs oil and therefore prevents your makeup from creasing or melting into your under-eye area, but since it's a silky powder, it does not affect blending. And because you're using so little, it doesn't affect your eyeshadow's color payoff either. Honestly, cornstarch is now my HG eyeshadow primer. Who knew?

on 1/9/2013 6:03:00 PM

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I bought and used up a can of Psssst! mainly out of curiosity and it was okay, but it had a strong smell and holy wow was it cold. When the Psssst! ran out I tried cornstarch and was pleasantly surprised. The only thing I don't like about it is the difficulty of applying it neatly -- I have to put it in (and brush it out) before I put on whatever shirt I want to wear that day. I rub it into my roots as best I can, wait about 5 minutes and then bend over at the waist and brush, brush, brush with my gentle Denman paddle brush. The thing that surprised me the most was how shiny my hair looks afterward, as long as I brush enough. It does have a lot of body and looks clean. The cornstarch leaves a slight grabby texture that I really like on second-day hair for doing updos or rolls (my hair is almost shoulder length with a few layers).

on 1/7/2013 3:40:00 PM

I use cornstarch on days I don't wash my hair to absorb oil. I use just a dusting on my fingertips, then I rake through hair at the scalp. It adds super volume too!

on 12/17/2012 11:25:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

1) i heard about this product on another website that claims it causes breakouts.

im on school holidays now so i thought i would try out this product whilst im at home (dont wanna risk a breakout during school days)!

i tried this yesterday at home - and i have to say that today my skin looks even CLEARER when i woke up today (free facial maybe?:p) ! and i have oily skin so i have to be careful about the products i apply on my face ..so to those who get breakouts from using this : one word - remember to CLEANSE well!!!!!!!!!!!!!! then you'll be safe from breakouts:)

2) if you have dry patches of skin this will show up and cling to those dry flakes and make them even whiter and more obvious so try mixing it with some powder foundation/loose powder preferably a few shades darker so you will get a matching colour to your skin tone when you eventually mix this white powder in

3) corn starch and corn FLOUr are different - i bought flour and found it is less fine than the corn starch

4) super cheappppp!

5) i tried washing off the powder after application.. it seems to make ur skin seem even silkier and less oily after that! (the powder can be a little rough imo) so if you dont want so much powder on your face maybe you could try dabbing a little bit of water over your face after application (just a little so you wont affect your makeup) and watch your skin turn silky smooooooooooooooth!!!!!!:)

just some of my observations! havent been able to test this product for longer periods of time because like i said, its school holidays! but i trust it works :))

on 10/14/2012 11:28:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I've been using this for months as a body powder..Love it. I buy the organic one, still super cheap. Feels so silky. Great stuff And all natural!

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products