Dove Summer Glow

3.3

on 2/7/2013 7:10:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

EWWW this is awful!! It turns you a disgusting orange/yellow colour and it stinks! At first it smells nice and then the smell develops into a granny biscuit rotten mushroom smell! EW. I have this normal one and recently bought one with +soft shimmer which i saw my auntie use, and she says it works well, but no... no! It looks ridiculously unnatural. It can get rather blotchy on me too... I wont be buying this again, such a shame, i really wanted it to work well. I noticed that maybe with one application every now and then you would probably look fine, but i applied two coats.. 2 days in a row, like it says.. apply daily! And its turned into awful orangey yellow. Thank god ive only done one of my arms, couldnt bare my whole body being like this. EW. Maybe I can use up what I have with just applying it say.. once every 3-4 days.. But wont be buying this again!

on 1/18/2013 12:15:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

Even though my skin is a lot more on the fair side, I use the 'Medium to Dark' instead of the 'Fair to Medium' version of this bodylotion, as the latter doesn't really give me that much of a visible tan after using it once.
The 'Medium to Dark' bodylotion gives me a nice tan overnight without making me look like a tangerine, which is always a good thing. It gives me a tan with a yellow undertone, which is a bit different from the tan I get by sunbathing, but it still looks natural.
When I'm happy with how tan I am (mostly after using it one or two days in a row), I keep up my tan by mixing a bit of Dove's summer glow with a regular bodylotion of a similar texture to avoid becoming too dark and streaky.
The bodylotion gets absorbed quite quickly and makes my skin feel soft and smooth.
The scent of this product is nice, fresh and sweet when you apply it onto your skin, but after a few hours it unfortunately develops into the typical musty 'fake tan smell'. I use this self tan before I go to bed though, so I can rinse off the smell and the 'film' that the product has left over my skin during my morning shower.
Also, the body lotion rubs off onto my bedsheets, so you may have to think twice about the combination of sleeping with this fake tan and white/light-coloured bedding (or clothes, if you want to use this product during the daytime).
Overall, the bodylotion is worth the price. I've recently finished yet another tube, and as I'm still happy about the effect of this self tan, I'll buy a new one again soon.

on 11/14/2012 4:24:00 PM

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

OK, so I am white, hence I consider this a tanner not a lotion (I do use the medium/dark version though). Think Caspar the Ghost and you've got me . Hence I have been using this product for years, mostly during the summer season. I love it because:

* it's easy to apply (i.e. I use it in place of moisturiser after hopping out of the shower without that it makes me stink or look like zebra if I have ONE dodgy application)
* it's easy to get hold of (in the UK). Everywhere from supermarkets to drugstores sell it - and they often do promotions which makes it super cheap to buy. I then stock up as I know I will eventually use it.
* it's hypoallergenic - I used the Johnson&Johson version of this product and thought I'd got fleas until I realised the itch was coming from the self-tanner (kidding)

So why am I writing this review now - in the midst of winter? I was going home on the tube the other day after the gym, in kneelength pants, and this guy was staring at me like he'd seen a ghost. So I trotted off to Boots today to get more of this stuff, thankful that it exists!

on 10/2/2012 11:57:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I got this because my feet were looking rather pale compared to the rest of my body which is pretty tanned all year round. It made my feet orange - I think because I put a really thick layer on before sleeping. It was quite hilarious.

But after this incident I used thin layers everyday/every few days and this worked a whole lot better. So do not put a whole bunch on at one time people! :P

I like the smell as I put in on but once it dries and starts to sink in, ooooh boy. It's like this biscuit smell. Not a pleasant biscuit smell... Like a weird floral, rotten biscuit smell. If I sleep with it on, my bed smells like it, eurgh.

But overall it is a decent product. I wouldn't buy it again though.

on 9/22/2012 3:02:00 AM

Love this, use it every Summer. I'm quite pale so I use the fair skin one and in a few days I'm all tan and glowing. I exfloliate with just brown sugar and water before and shave my legs. Then I dry completely, and run this everywhere but my underwear line and my face and wait for it to dry (does so quite quickly). I sometimes sleep with it on, but it does feel slightly greasy if you use too much so I wait about 20 mimuntes and lightly shower and dab my skin. I do 'step two' for about 3 days and I'm glowing! I use a normal moisturiser for the next few days the keep my skin mositurised and use the tanner again when I need to.

I love it. So cheap, doesn't smell really bad (I use it so often it just smells like summer to me) and doesn't stain clothes. Just make sure you wash your hands after or they'll look slightly orang e(only because the palms of the hands are brighter than the rest.

on 9/18/2012 3:04:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I don't understand any bad reviews of this product!
I absolutely love it. It makes my skin super silky and gives me a really even, natural looking tan over time. It's also great for maintaining a self tan you got from another product :)

on 8/4/2012 6:02:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

Many people like this creme/selftanner. But not me! It makes me really orange :(

on 7/11/2012 1:07:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I have to start by saying I love this!! I always go back to it as one of my cheap gradual tanners it really is amazing, despite its perk..... which is the fake tan smell - it lingers on for days, but if you are not fussed about that then this is great. It might not work perfect on pale skins but I am olive skinned and I get it in the normal to dark skin and it works great! It adds a glow and a bit of colour which is not streaky at all. Garnier has also introduced something similar to this which I have tried and I still come back to this! I also found this very moisturing..and my skin is quite dry to start with. No matter how many fake tanners I buy I always have to have this..! It does what it said on the tin therefore I would definitely recommend!!!

on 4/14/2012 11:23:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I always go back to this as my gradual tanner. I get it in the darker color. I love this!! It helps to extend my fake tans as well. Will buy this again

on 1/10/2012 1:43:00 AM

I have bought the normal to dark skin lotion. I have repurchased this several times while trying other products in between. The colour pay off is good Ė not too dark or light. I can slap it on without it being patchy or streaky. The fragrance is ok, a little bit fake tan. It could be that I associate its fragrance with fake tan. I donít find it very hydrating and it is a tiny bit sticky. Ultimately, I like the colour and it's a cheapie which is why I repurchase it.