Clinique Super City Block SPF 40

3.5

PPD = 8. zinc oxide 8.8%, octinoxate 7.5%, titanium dioxide 6.6%, octisalate 2% Other ingredients: water (aqua purificata) purified, trioctyldodecyl citrate, butylene glycol, dimethicone, octyldodecyl neopentanoate, steareth-2, silica, aluminum stearate, angelica acutiloba (japanese angelica) root extract, zizyphus jujuba fruit extract, rosa roxburghii fruit extract, citrus unshiu peel extract, porphyra yezoensis (algae) extract, paeonia suffruticosa (peony) root extract, gardenia florida extract, carthamus tinctorius (safflower) flower extract, glycyrrhiza glabra (licorice) root extract, paeonia albiflora (peony) root extract, poria cocos sclerotium extract, saccharomyces lysate extract, cucumis sativus (cucumber) fruit extract, betula alba (birch) bark extract, hordeum vulgare (barley) extract, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seedcake, gentiana lutea (gentian) root extract, yeast extract (faex), sodium rna, magnesium ascorbyl phosphate, dipotassium glycyrrhizate, tocopheryl acetate, pantethine, glycerin, glucose, squalane, polyglyceryl-6 polyricinoleate, tricaprylin, propylene glycol dicaprate, chamomilla recutita (matricaria), hexylene glycol, peg/ppg-18/18 dimethicone, caprylyl glycol, barium sulfate, polyethylene, xanthan gum, magnesium aluminum silicate, lecithin, ceteth-2, peg-40 stearate, sodium stearate, steareth-20, sorbitan tristearate, isopropyl titanium triisostearate, citric acid, disodium edta, bht, phenoxyethanol, mica, iron oxides (ci 77491, ci 77492, ci 77499), titanium dioxide (ci77891)

on 7/1/2014 11:10:00 PM

Bought this 2013 December for Summer. i had 25spf sunblock from clinique but it was greasy so i bought this. Package was ok, price was not too bad, but some of the ingredients were horrible on my skin.

This is an Oil- free product, therefore if you have dry/combination skin the product will ball up around your face. Make sure you prep the skin 100% and hydrate well before add this product.

Result: i got red cheeks from the first day. Even when i retried it again a month later, it gave me the same reaction. This time i wore it for 2 days and the skin around my nose/chin/cheeks/forehead started feel burnt, whiteheads appeared around the top of the nose which i never had in my life.

Not recommand this if you have sensitive skin. Paula Begoun noted that this have few natural ingredients that can effect the skin.

Edit: i applied again after a year and same thing happend. hahaha good bye to this product!

on 6/14/2014 7:32:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Grey, Straight, Medium

It did not suit me.

I found it too greasy and too thick - my face, even with matifying powder, became oily very quickly. The tint made me look a bit ghostly and it pilled/balled up in places. Do get a sample of it first if you can!

on 4/25/2014 9:12:00 PM

this is great on my skin since I have very sensitive skin and I dont tan, I become a red cooked lobster under the sun. It does leave a white cast but since I have fair skin I dont mind. I do not use foundation and this seems to be enough. I use it daily as makeup basically. Recommended for fair skin.

on 4/25/2014 7:53:00 PM

I'm on my second tube of cityblock and my skin is reacting fine to it so far. The consistency is more towards the pasty side which is great as it doesn't make a mess when squeezing it out of the tube. It is tinted and does leave a slight white cast but it's very unnoticeable if you have fair to medium skin. Never broke me out and I feel protected by it. The only downside is that it does feel like it clogs my pores. I'm currently looking for a new sunscreen but if that fails then I wouldn't mind staying with this product.

on 2/14/2014 5:31:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I have been using the city sunblock for like...decades (since it was a screw cap which made a messy lump of sunblock when you wanted to close the cap). I have tried other brands such as La Roche Posay's Anthelios or Estee Lauder's daywear bit still keep coming back to this one. The city sunblock is tinted so it does not leave overly whitish cast on your face (better than the previous screw cap version). I also use it as a primer before using a foundation. I guess I will still have to use it till I can find an alternative mineral sunscreen.

on 1/20/2014 8:32:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

I've been wearing it off and on for like a decade. I do not like foundation or powders much at all, but bought this yrs back. I like how only a tiny bit goes a long way (I only really wear it to work but not everyday, and when I do I immediately take it off when I get in). I like that it's oil free, light weight and even tho I'm acne prone, I feel it makes my skin breathe alright, but again, I take it off fairly promptly and do not wear it daily, it's off and on but has been my main go to when I do wear any sort of coverage as mine's tinted (altho aren't they all? lol) I'm a mascara fiend, tho know very little about much else!...Will continue to re-purchase. Even tho I'm Indian, my family Dr and dermatologist suggest I wear an SPF, especially in the hot Toronto summers and this is what I often choose. I've some hyperpigmentation scarring, so I like to wear an SPF so the marks don't get any darker (they already look like little freckles)...Anyhow, I find I really like Clinique skin care too for the most part. You pay a little more, but the quality I find is often good.

on 1/5/2014 5:47:00 AM

Brilliant stuff. This and the City Block SPF 25 has been a staple of mine for 20 years. I'd not be without it.

Works as a primer under foundation. Seems to protect from the sun. Nice slippy texture but not greasy. I apply it over moisturiser and under foundation. If you don't use foundation it might suit you like a BB cream.

Downside- to get good sun protection you need to use a good dollop- not just a smearing. This can cause some bubbling of the product. You also can't really re-apply during the day if you are using foundation over the top of it.

on 12/27/2013 2:46:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I found this product didn't suit me.

Firstly it was too pale and made me look ghostly. I wasn't aware that it had any colour when I purchased it.

Secondly it peeled off my face in flakes and my make up wouldn't stay on.

Lastly I felt it was greasy and too thick. Clinique advisors told me to do the 3 step routine twice a day and exfoliate a couple of times a week, which I did. Then to add this layer and make up. My face felt clogged up.

I wouldn't recommend this if you have a tan or oily skin.

I can't believe I've never reviewed this because I've been using it for years, and has been my go-to sunscreen. I started with SPF 15, and worked my way up to SPF 40, as they kept adding new versions of this line. It is basically a tinted moisturizer with sunscreen. It is lightweight but moisturizing, adds sheer color, can be used on the under-eye area with no irritation, and has antioxidants. However, it used to be chemical sunscreen free. At some point, unbeknownst to me, they started adding chemical sunscreens to this product. This is bad news because I hate chemical sunscreens. I may be forced to find a replacement now - very disappointing.

on 10/6/2013 1:47:00 AM

I have been using this and repurchasing it for a few of years now. It is a fantastic daily use high SPF sunblock. I have combination skin that is acne prone and this has not caused breakouts. It does not sting or run in my eyes when I sweat so it is great for my active lifestyle. I love that I can put this on in the morning and then I can go anywhere without worrying if my SPF is high enough. I'm always covered.

I find it wears well under both liquid and loose mineral foundation. The only drawback is that it makes me shiny in my T-zone so it requires a mattifying powder to avoid unwanted shine. The tube is expensive but lasts me about eight months with daily use.