September 3, 2014 | 1034 users online

Treatments (Face) - Homemade Vitamin C Serum

rated 5 of 5 on 6/13/2014 12:40:00 PM More reviews by CompassionIsSexy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I used to spend so much money on skin care products that didn't even work or made my skin break out. I've tried everything from drugstore brands (olay, neutrogena, etc.) to high end brands (Estee Lauder, Clinique, etc.), but didn't get the results I wanted. A lot of the companies source their ingredients from china (because it's cheap) and use fancy packaging to sell their products. I felt like I was being ripped off. I finally, after tons of research, decided to make my own serums and moisturizes. I've been using l ascorbic acid mixed with filtered water on my face morning and night under my moisturizer for a while and noticed dramatic improvement in my skin. My skin looks brighter, tighter, and more youthful. It's cheaper and it's more effective. I recommend making a fresh batch of serum/toner everyday because Vitamin C oxidizes easily.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/9/2014 11:11:00 PM More reviews by asaksa

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

My vitamin c powder was bought at at Whole Foods. I mix 1 pinch of the powder to 4 parts Glycerine with rose water. I mash the powder in the liquid right in my hand and then pat my whole face and neck in the morning. Then I start my sunscreen and makeup. This is so cheap and highly potent. Sometimes I put a few drops of jojoba oil for my acne prone combo skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/24/2014 10:15:00 AM More reviews by ShalaStar

I LOVE my new DIY Vitamin C Serum! I purchased the vitamin c powder at Whole Foods along with some Glycerine and an amber glass bottle. I made a 10% serum and I keep it in the light safe glass bottle. I prefer not to add the glycerine, I made two batches to see which texture I liked better and the glycerine just felt too sticky. The powder and distilled water feel like nothing on the skin once dry. Benefits! My skin is plumping up, it feels tighter and more bouncy and My acne spots have lightened tremendously. As far as wrinkles, I'm not sure yet. I've one little forehead wrinkle I'm working on now, will update on improvement! This stuff is the bees knees to keeping that plump skin plump. And it's very affordable! I'm thrilled! Good luck!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 4/2/2014 12:52:00 PM More reviews by sahbelle

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have fair skin, strawberry blonde hair ... & have spent almost all my life in blistering sun. Thanks to my mother's genes, my skin tone is good (hardly any wrinkles around my eyes) but there is no escaping the sun damage on my face - - I have melasma spots, raised blood vessels, blotchiness and generally a ruddy complexion. I was also prone to blushing as a kid and its possible I suffer with mild roscae on my cheeks.

"Conventional" therapy for such extensive sun damage is IPL laser treatment ... tad expensive and, er ... I'm not keen on lasering my face thanks - especially as any positive gains are only temporary.
I investigated other avenues and stumbled across Vit C serums. I find the cosmetics industry is ridiculously over-priced, so I was thrilled to find homemade receipes.

I started with a water/Vit E base mixed with 1tsp Vit C powder ... not so lovely on the skin because the Vit E is such a grainy oil ... so I changed to a water/glycerin base instead. Ooooh ... so much better! My skin responded almost immediately, but then I noticed a tightness and stickiness and I also seemed to be developing minute blackheads.
I limited my usage to every other night, but couldn't stand the tight appearance of my skin, so I stopped the glycerin and just mixed Vit C with water as and when I needed it.

Unfortunately, due to haphazaard work hours, I stopped using the Vit C serum within about 3 weeks. Even in this short time, friends commented on my "fresher" face - altho I have to admit I couldn't see big changes.

From reading I've done, it seems a minimum of about 6 weeks is required to guage any real effects. I've decided to resume use and give it a six month trial, gradually increasing the serum concentration to about 15% - depending on how my skin responds. I'll try to update regularily - especially any effects on my extensive sun damage!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/23/2014 11:37:00 AM More reviews by dglosek

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I used to use the Turbo C from Philosophy, but felt it was so expensive and kind of a rip-off. So, I bought an 8 oz container of NOW Vitamin C Crystals - 100% pure ascorbic acid, pharmaceutical grade on Amazon for less than $10. I transferred some of it into a small, shallow jar (an old Kiehl's Creme de Corps Souffle deluxe sample jar) . At least 5 mornings per week, I take a large pinch (about 1/8 tsp or so) from the shallow jar, place it into the palm of my hand and add several drops of warm water from my tap. I then mix it in my palm until it's dissolved (this particular brand dissolves very quickly), rub my hands together and then apply to my face. I let it dry and then apply my When Hope Is Not Enough Serum. I need very little makeup these days, and most days I just apply a light concealer under my eyes, add my eye makeup and I'm good to go. I'm age 60, but most people at work think I'm in my late forties at most. One girl was so shocked to hear my real age that she went back to her office and took a survey to see how old everyone thinks I am. Only those who know me a long time and actually know my age guessed right. I believe it's because I've been using the C and WHINE for years---and protecting my face from the sun as much as I can.

Oh - you can also mix the NOW Vitamin C crystals with the WHINE, but I prefer to apply the C first to let it get into my skin before layering the WHINE on top. I think it works better that way.

15 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/22/2014 2:47:00 PM More reviews by kretz

I seriously love this stuff. My serum consists of 1 tbsp vitamin c crystals from trader joes, 9 tbsp of distilled water and a few drops of vitamin e oil. I noticed a difference in my skin after a few uses. I use this after cleansing my face and before the moisturizer.I use a cotton ball to apply it all over and then let it dry before moisturizing. Ive been using it for about 2 months now and my face is brighter and my old acne scars are disappearing. Ive had trouble with acne on my jaw line and neck recently and couldn't figure our the cause or how to get rid of it. Using this has kept this problem under control.
The only minor issue i can think of is that you have to make the serum weekly. I keep it in the fridge but if you keep it out in the light and use the same solution for too long it can become ineffective. You have to be careful not to add too much vitamin c because it can burn your skin.
Overall its a great product and can be made for a great price, I believe the products costed me about 15 dollars and will last me a very very long time.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/10/2014 9:19:00 PM More reviews by Kaelie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I got a jar of powdered vitamin C from Whole Foods and tried various ways to use it ( teaspoon about quart water in spray bottle; adding to cucumber toner (my favorite is by AnnWebb that you can get at either Whole Foods or www.skinbyannwebb.com), rose water, or other toners I had around). A spritz when it's hot outside did wonders to refresh my skin. Plus, it really added a glow to my skin and got rid of acne. My DH, who get bad cystic acne, stopped suffering from those when I made him use it for a few weeks.

Here the bad part, however: I had to stop using it, because the stuff oxidized and stained my clothes sooooo badly! I didn't notice them at first - but after a few washes and dry cleaning, I noticed 50% of our clothes began to get that icky brown ring around the collar, and I thought …what the h***!! I shower daily, twice daily in fact!! I finally deduced it had to be the vitamin C serum. Ugh! So, no more homemade serum; I will stick to the serum by Ann Webb (expensive but stable and doesn't stain). Too bad, because this really did work miracles on my skin.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/2/2014 2:00:00 AM More reviews by bel01

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I used to make my own vitamin c serum but I found that my own formulations weren't very stable so it wasn't worth the effort. It's a lot easier to just buy one that is professionally formulated. I get one on Amazon that is really nice and has a stable form of vitamin c. Plus it is inexpensive but just as good as the expensive brands. This is the one I like:

http://www.amazon.com/Vitamin-Serum-For-Face-20/dp/B00G2TQNZ4 continued >>

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/30/2013 6:18:00 AM More reviews by snowwgirl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I am that girl. The chronic doubter who considers all reviews with skepticism. But I have been using a homemade Vit C solution for 2 months and OMG, it has worked some miracles. I have had long standing milia on nose and forehead finally disappear in . Each kind of turned reddish, flaked for a few days then healed over. To say I was amazed is an understatement. I cant wait now to see how much more my skin can improve over the next months. I use a mix of finely milled Natural Factors Ascorbic acid ( use my Magic Bullet to pulverize the crystals) water and glycerin.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/29/2013 11:28:00 PM More reviews by paleandpink

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Ok, so I have fair skin and rosacea on my cheeks as well as dry dehydrated skin. Although I have tried a couple of pre made vitamin c serums etc... I always go back to my home made.

I use a tsp of vitamin powder (from Whole Foods) then add a tbsp of distilled water then mix with a plastic spoon. I apply to my face with a cotton ball and wait ten minutes before I add any creams/serums.
I use it under my Dr. Jart Cermidin lotion then I put on the Dr. Jart ceramdin cream.
So far I really like my homemade vitamin C routine. My skin looks more radiant and it seems to make my pores seem smaller(although I am told my pores are really small anyway).
I would recommend it for daily use. I only use this at night.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No