Homemade Vitamin C Serum

4.4

on 4/7/2015 9:57:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Edit-scars totally faded (on hands)

Miraculous. Used on my hands and arms (whole body actually) and within 3 days the cooking scars are fading and my hands don't look old and wrinkly. Today is day 4 and I just use the vit c recipe withsome avocado oil or body cream on top - have used oils creams n specific treatments inc glycolic acid n nothing has made my hands look so good. My skin is also improving n there is less milia/bumpiness. Edit I checked the pH of fresh squeezed mandarin juice and it is 3.5 ...does anyone know whether this can be a good replacement for the V it C powder?

on 2/17/2015 1:58:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is the 3rd time I've made the C Serum - I use Kassey's 15% C and Ferulic Acid recipe (found here: http://www.skincaretalk.com/a/15-c-serum-with-tutorial - I omit the Optiphen, the polysorbate 80 and the xantham gum - I like mine thinner, and I just make fresh when it starts to turn)

The only thing I did different this time was I bought some ultrafine LAA from lotioncrafter.com, and it dissolved in less than a minute, as opposed to the "regular" LAA that took literally hours to dissolve! Seriously, if you are going to make this stuff, do yourself a huge favor and get the ultrafine LAA. I even tried putting the regular stuff in the food processor and pulverizing it, and it still didn't work nearly as well as the ultrafine (the food processor was my 2nd attempt - still took forever)

I use this in the AM under my moisturizer - it takes only a moment to sink it, and I don't even know it's there, but it does keep my skin brighter and firmer. And it's mondo cheap, plus you get the thrill of being a mad scientist! :D Love it to death.

on 1/22/2015 2:32:00 PM

Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure

I cannot believe I am just now hearing about making my own vitamin c serum!!! As soo. As I read all the reviews (and I do mean all of them), I ran out to get some vitamin c powder to whip up a batch as I already had all of the other ingredients. I added carrot seed oil, lavender and geranium essential oils to it and OMG!! I saw a difference after the first use and now 4 days later I cannot believe the difference this has made in my face! At 37, I was getting laugh lines that stayed even after I was done laughing or smiling and they are almost completely gone after 4 days using a 10% serum!! I can't wait to see what happens when I up the dosage in a few weeks!! I will NEVER be without this again!!

on 1/10/2015 4:01:00 PM

I used to buy NuFountain C20, which was very good, but now I've been making my own vitamin C serum for years. I store it in an amber glass bottle in the refrigerator and my recipe remains stable for at least 2 months. Here is my mixture:
3/4 teaspoon ascorbic acid (NOW vitamin C crystals)
2 Tablespoons Thayer's alcohol free witch hazel with aloe
1/4 teaspoon vegetable glycerine (NOW)
Dissolve vitamin C crystals in witch hazel. Must dissolve completely! I usually have to use the end of a spoon to grind the crystals a bit to help it dissolve.
Add glycerine and stir.
Pour into amber glass bottle w/ dropper and store in fridge.
I think the addition of the witch hazel instead of distilled water is what preserves this serum for so long.
Works just as well as nufountain for a fraction of the cost. I can't imagine paying $$$ for Skinceuticals when the ingredients are sooo cheap.

on 1/9/2015 1:50:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

For my DIY C serum, I use l-ascorbic acid powder from Garden of Wisdom with aloe vera juice in a ratio of 4 parts aloe to 1 part powder. I store the mixture in an amber glass dropper bottle and make a fresh batch every 4-5 days.

TBH, the DIY serum does not give me results that are as dramatic as an HE serum such as Skinceuticals.

However the DIY serum is a fraction of the cost. IME, Skinceuticals oxidized before I could get through half of the bottle, which is why I did not repurchase.

I have been using the serum 5 times a week for 3 months and have noticed that my skin tone is more even, acne scars have faded by 50% or more and small sun spots seem lighter in color

on 12/24/2014 11:27:00 AM

I have been making my own vitamin C serum for well over a year now. I use the L-ascorbic fine powder from Lotion Crafters, and distilled water. I have worked up to 20%, and my skin tolerates it well. I have however developed yellow/orange fingernails from using this solution! I have been careful that it does not touch the nails, but they are all discolored regardless. I connected with a doctor on-line that had written an article/researched the use of topical vitamin c (Dr. Pumori Telang-Saokar) and he confirmed that this staining is from the serum. He advised me to wear gloves when I mix and apply it, and that over time the staining would fade. We will see. Has anyone else had this side affect? Please respond if you have.

on 12/7/2014 7:11:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

***************Why only me*********
I am so disappointed right now. After using this product my skin turned 2-3 shades darker. I was not planning to get tan. I don't need tan because I already have warm complexion. Glycerin made my skin looks shiny/greasy. What's up with that? I made my toner with distilled water 2-3 teaspoon, 1/8 tea of vitamin c powder, 1 tea spoon of glycerin. I made fresh batch every week. It would look fine when I applied this toner at night but in the morning after cleansing my face would look darker? I got summer tan in winter which I don't appreciate.

on 11/13/2014 9:23:00 PM

I make this as a toner - ascorbic acid and distilled water, which I allow to dry and follow with an oil that contains vitamin e and other goodies. I've been using it for five months, starting low and building up to 20% or a bit less vitamin C. I have sensitive skin but haven't really had any problems with sensitivity. The toner lasts a week but not longer kept in a dark place.

It's not the magic wand I was hoping for, nor can I swear its not doing anything. After about six weeks use, it seemed to me that my skin looked firmer. I'm at a time of life when my skin should be deteriorating rapidly and its not. Perhaps that is as a result of this regime.

Nothing you put on your skin makes as much difference as eating and sleeping well but i will definitely continue to use this.

on 11/1/2014 7:08:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I've been making this with very little glycerin for a few years...long before I read it on makeupalley.
I use an amber dropper bottle.
50 grams distilled water or 3 1/2 tbs
25 ml of glycerin-that's abput 1/8 of a tsp. I use so little because glycerin for me draws water out of my skin, and not so much from the air.
3 grams of fine ascorbic acid powder.

L-ascorbic is the same as ascorbic acid. Do not use ester c.
This serum has the optimal pH of 3.5. It has to be under 4 to penetrate, but less than three will irritate the skin. I use pH test strips I buy from a compounding pharmacy. They compound c serum there and these are the test strips they use.

I like my own vitamin c serum I really don't like glycerin but I add enough to facilitate absorption better, but know that vit c will penetrate the tissue without it, if at the correct pH. The glycerin just makes it easier, and you see faster results.

Do not crush vit c powder in unmeasured amounts into your palm with your choice of cleansers of cream or what have you. Ascorbic acid is just that: acid. It behooves one to measure the amount and check the pH before using vitamin C , or else cause damage to the skin.

on 10/29/2014 10:48:00 PM

the quantities for preparing the serum have been given in gms...could this be given in terms of teaspoons...the one I prepared was too thick and difficult to pour from the dropper bottle

Popular Treatments (Face)