July 25, 2014 | 1276 users online

Powder - Physicians Formula - Mineral Wear Talc-Free Mineral Loose Powder

rated 2 of 5 on 3/9/2014 12:02:00 AM More reviews by missmiseryxo

There is a review a few below this one that claims this powder has a low rating on EWG-- this is not the case (its rating is 7- pretty high). If you are looking for a PF loose powder with a lower rating, check out the loose powder from the PF Organic Wear line-- its been discontinued in stores but is still available on iHerb.

I really liked this powder until I saw its rating on EWG. It had good coverage and was long lasting, the translucent medium shade is a perfect match for my skin tone. The packaging was my only issue while using it, as I didn't care for the dome top.

I purchased it in my quest to make my make up more natural, and foolishly thinking that because it was made by PF, it would be more natural than other brands. Once I looked it up I saw that it was not the case, but it's my fault since I should have looked it up before purchasing. If you aren't concerned with its ratings or ingredients, it's a good drugstore mineral powder-- but since the organic wear is of comparable quality, why not try that instead?

rated 4 of 5 on 2/6/2014 3:33:00 PM More reviews by rrosanno

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I have tried several different mineral powder foundations (Zuzu Luxe, Bare Minerals, Everyday Minerals, Mineral Fusion, etc.) but I always come back to Physician's Formula. This product offers great coverage, my skin loves it, and it is cost effective. My only complaints are that the product is messy and shade options are limited. I would only buy the airbrushed one, but most stores only carry 2 shade choices of the airbrushed powder. However, Talc-Free Mineral Loose Powder works well too! It is my go to powder. I have been using it (and returning to this product after other powders fail) for the last 7 years!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/1/2014 3:41:00 AM More reviews by kascade

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I have bought a lot of this stuff. For one thing, I was looking for products on the EWG website that had less chemicals and hopefully a better sunscreen in it, which this one does have! To boot, the product itself is wonderful. To be honest, I don't use this as just a foundation. I like a very full coverage look so I put my foundation on then put this on top lightly. It doesn't look cakey at all and I have gotten compliments from many make up artists as well! Not to toot own horn. And I say that because my skin is just meh with out foundation/powder. This really ties the whole look together and I use it everyday. Packaging is just whatever, the brush that comes with it sucks lol. I actually transfer the powder into an old empty Bare Minerals jar (and I don't use that stuff at all anymore). You get a lot for your money I think, I just think the jar is so big for my already cram packed make up bag which is fine to have extra! For about 12 bucks you can't go wrong.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/28/2014 12:28:00 AM More reviews by EmilyRaymond

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is my FAVOURITE foundation ever. I bought this when my skin was going through an awful breakout and I have never switched. This is a very light coverage foundation which I am a huge fan of, but if you're going for a full coverage look, this is not for you. You can still see my freckles when I wear this. There is no way this foundation is going to be cakey on you unless you put WAY too much on. I love how this foundation is kinda glowy because there is nothing I hate more than completely matte skin. It also layers well with additional powder products - I use blush, highlight, and bronzer to contour and it all blends seamlessly. It won't look built up and cakey unless you don't blend. This is beautiful for a natural look and lasts forever. I've had mine for 8 months and I haven't even used a quarter of it. The best method of applying this is to LIGHTLY get some powder on your brush, tap off the excess, apply onto your face with a circular motion and then blend until it sinks in.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/11/2014 1:42:00 PM More reviews by Cars4560

I bought this product because it is advertised as a loose powder that wears like a foundation. This appealed to me because I have dry, sensitive/acne-prone skin and can't wear greasy liquid foundations. However, despite it being "talc-free" it is not a good product for acne-prone or sensitive skin. I found it was a bit cakey and after only a couple hours of wear, my skin felt very greasy. I also started to get a few pimples on my forehead after wearing it.

Therefore, if you have sensitive, acne-prone skin I would not buy this product, I would use a matte powder with a kabuki brush in place of foundation.

The price of this product is definitely too high for what you get.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/24/2013 10:27:00 PM More reviews by durbavil9

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have very uneven skin, and before my mother gave me this product to try, I'd never worn anything but heavily applied liquid foundations to help, and most of the time, even those couldn't help my skin.

I think I've found my new HG product!

I don't have particularly oily skin, but often by the end of the working day, my makeup will usually have become a bit more opaque looking. With this powder, I wore it for eight hours straight, and it barely budged, even around my t-zone and under my eyes which is quite impressive! If anything, my face only looked better as the day went on.

Now my gripes about the product...

It seemed too light for about 10 minutes after application, before it settled down. I've found that this happens with many of my products, so it wasn't surprising, but may be to other people who are new to powders.

Also the brush. Oh, how I do hate the brush. It was rough, and scratchy, and irritating, and I threw it out immediately. I have my own set of nice brushes, but I figured it'd be nice to have a small brush like that for traveling. Nope! I think I'll stick to my soft eco-tools powder brushes from now on thank you very much!

The powder itself is a great product, so if you have a beef with the packaging, I recommend moving it to a different container, it's worth it!

rated 2 of 5 on 12/23/2013 9:40:00 PM More reviews by gen666

So many mixed emotions with this one, *sigh.* And alas, another product I wanted desperately to feed my every beautifying need. I started wearing this alone or sometimes on top of foundation, and either way, my skin looked so great and glowing. But that only lasted some weeks. After that I started breaking out badly. So I stopped using it (and other makeup), treated my skin, and voila, clearer skin. But still there were days when i wanted to cover up my acne marks and discoloration, so would turn to this in a cry for temporary help, and what do you know. I broke out AGAIN! I recently used it again like 2 weeks ago, and yup, another breakout, mainly around the cheek area. So I'll never be using this product again. Heck, I'm throwin' it out to rid me of temptation!
It gave such great coverage, and I'm so mad and sad it's broken me out so many times. Yes...I'm still on the lookout for the perfect powder or foundation... :(

rated 4 of 5 on 12/8/2013 7:42:00 PM More reviews by iceskater719

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Packaging- the brush is useless. it's a little bulky

oil control/lasting power- both really great! my oil doesnt show out as much as it does with liquid foundation. the lasting power is awesome even without primer9 which i dont use often).

price- i usually buy stuff from spehora but i decided to try physicians formula. the price is awesome compared to anything high end.

i have sensitive skin and this doesnt break me out or make me red.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/29/2013 11:45:00 AM More reviews by ginandjuice

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is a decent drug store powder/mineral foundation. I used BE for years and I finally got sick of it. So I read the reviews on this and decided to try it.

Use very little of it, a little goes a long ways. It's not a thick or high coverage foundation, so if your looking for that, this is not it. My skin has some red, post acne scarring from my teen years (I'm in my 30's) do I just need coverage to even out my skin tone and this did just that.

Like most everyone else mentioned, the packing sucks. What I do is shake the powder into the big plastic lid part, dip my big fluffy brush into that and tap off the excess, then buff into my skin. It's still messy though.

My skin, even in my 30's is still oily so I use my Urban Decay De-slick powder over this (HG product btw) and stay oil free. Otherwise this product offers NO oil free protection at all. I think for normal-slightly dry skin this would be a good mineral foundation because it's not drying and looks very nice on your skin. Without a good oil controlling powder on top I had to blot a lot during the day and it just eventually wore off.

My skin isn't sensitive much so I can't comment about that.

Even though this is a decent product I wouldn't buy it again and I'll stick to my tinted Neutrogena Healthy Skin tinted moisturizer with the UD De-slick powder. I'll use the rest of it though because it's nice to use when I'm in a hurry.

The texture is nice, very smooth and easy to work with. Leaves no chalky look and looks very natural.

My skin is fairly light (but not super white) and I used the medium shade. I think the colors are fairly forgiving so don't stress too much about finding a perfect match. And use a light touch. My skin tone is neutral so that may be a factor. Buff in well it it could highlight big pores (which I have). I didn't try it over any primer but I think it would work very well on top of.

Even though this didn't work for my oily skin I'd still recommend it for normal skin that just needs a bit of evening out a bit.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/3/2013 4:45:00 PM More reviews by Vanessamucho

Packaging was god awful.

I did like the product and fact that it did reduce how irritated my skin was when using it but the price and packaging just totally ruin it