LUSH Caca Rouge Henna

3.6

Red Henna (Lawsonia inermis), Fair Trade Cocoa Butter (Theobroma cacao), Fresh Lemon Juice (Citrus limonum), Powdered Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis), Clove Bud Oil (Eugenia caryophyllus), *Citral, *Eugenol, *Geraniol, *Citronellol, *Limonene, *Linalool, Perfume.

on 6/19/2014 2:36:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium

Brunette which has recently been stripped using colour b4 hair dye remover.

GETTING THE PRODUCT
I bought caca rouge after reading reviews about henna and I had found out that powdered body art quality henna is really expensive here in the UK (at least where I looked!) Anyway, lush's all natural product looked like it had got some good reviews, and I also checked youtube for some tutorials. I bought it and it was delivered in eco packaging and came in block form, wrapped in cellulose, complete with a pair of gloves and an instruction booklet. The block, when unwrapped, feels rough to the touch but my GOODNESS it smells incredible, like turkish delight mixed with fresh cut grass! I don't know why people were saying it was horrible, but maybe if you're used to processed chemical perfume smells then you won't like it. It's a very natural, earthy smell.

PREPARING THE HENNA
After collating lots of info from here on Makeupalley (thank you!) and everywhere else on the internet I could find, I used four blocks of the bar (saving two for my root touch up!), chopped it up with a big knife like you would with chocolate, poured into a plastic bowl over simmering water and added about a cup of lemon juice from the bottle, which I had read makes the colour more intense. I topped up a few times with water from the kettle until it was thick like yoghurt. One bad point that someone else made is that the lumps of unmelted henna take AGES to finally melt, to help this along I squished them with my wooden spoon against the side of the bowl. It never got fully smooth but it was mostly. When you melt it down and add the lemon and water, the smell gets more complex and strong; it transformed from turkish delight and grass to turkish delight, citronella and fruit cake!

PREPARING THE BATHROOM
I did my application in the bathroom. I covered the floor in newspaper and got some cling film and woolly hats ready. I brought the bowl of henna and the saucepan of hot water up to keep the henna as hot as possible, which makes it more effective apparently. I got naked. Yes, I didn't trust myself to wear clothes and somehow this made it more fun! I got in the bath (empty of course), put some tunes on and put my gloves on.

APPLYING THE HENNA
Firstly, I covered my hairline and ears liberally with vaseline.
I didn't really have a plan of action with applying the henna, but I did read that you should start at the roots and really cake the henna on, so I treated this like sculpting exercise as opposed to traditional at-home hair dyeing. I started at the front of my head with a small section of hair, scooped some henna (which was really hot so be careful!) and applied it thickly to the roots and spread it down the hair to the ends. It doesn't act the way you think it will, it's very gritty and almost goes solid when you put it in your hair. Apply lots. When applied, I coiled the hair a bit and stuck it to my scalp. I continued doing this with the strands next to the irst one, and kept adding the coated lengths to the initial coiled bit, forming a bun. This made it really easy to keep the hair on one place, and to see the bits I hadn't done. When finished, I had a huge heavy bun on the front of my head and the bath and my body were COVERED in henna. Luckily, none got anywhere else in the bathroom! I washed down with a flannel and my skin was bright orange! It really takes well on my skin! I rinsed the bowl, spoon and pan in the bath to save trailing henna-ey water through the house. I put my hair in several layers of cling film (tightly!) and put on three woolly hats to keep my head warm which reddens the henna, but also makes you look like a conehead.

WAITING
I left the henna to develop for five hours, during which I blasted my hats with the hairdryer on hot a few times. The weight of the henna plus hats relly hurt my neck after a while, and the henna dripped around my ears and forehead a little, which I remedied by wiping with a face wipe. Luckily I work from home and don't really see anyone during the day so it didn't bother me that it took so long to develop. However, if you're used to doing box dyes then make sure you do this on a day where you don't have to go anywhere.

WASHING THE HENNA OFF
After five and a bit hours, I filled a bath of warm water until nearly full, took all the cling film and hats off to reveal a clump of dried, heavy mud. I dunked my head into the bath, which really hurt my scalp as even the henna on my shoulder length hair weighed an absolute ton. The key here is not to try to scrub the henna out, because your hair will not budge. Instead, what I did was let it soak for a minute then started moving the hair around to loosen the henna. it eventually all loosened and I ran my fingers through my hair to get rid of the majority of the lumps and grains of henna. I don't think I would have been able to loosen it without dunking it in the bath and letting it melt again.

When the bath looked like a poo party, I drained the water and started with the shower head. I shampooed my hair with baby shampoo (because of the colour remover) and gave it a good scrub to get the bits out. I finished with a conditioner, letting it soak for a few mintures and washing it off.

AFTERWARDS
The bath was a state, but I cleaned it up just fine - it didn't stain. The towels were all clean, too!

RESULTS
No words or even photos could possibly tell you how good the results were. I dried my hair with the hairdryer and normally I would use my argan oil serum to get tangles out. There were no tangles and my hair felt really strong.

I never thought I would see my hair so shiny! It's a true deep shine. There are no visible split ends and it's so silky. The colour? Wow. It's orange-red in the light and cherry-red-auburn in the shade. It changes depending how the light hits it. I tried taking a pic but it doesn't truly show the depth of the colour. I am over the moon!

on 5/16/2014 6:12:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Back in 2012 I dyed my naturally black hair caramel. I really used to love the colour, but after some months unfortunately my hair began to feel like straw. I didn't want to torture it again with chemical substances so I decided to try it natural. I ordered some Indigo (black henna) from an online store, which I applyed. And so I had my black hair again, but the straw was still there. A friend reccomended me to try henna and pramsed me that it won't dye the black hair red, so I decided to give it a try and bough Lush Caca Rouge.
IThe package contains a guide, but you will need: towels, gloves and a showe cap or plastic film.
It is a solid block made of all natural ingredients. It contains persian henna, which is very high in quality and some nourishing ingredients like coconut oil.
The application is quite difficult. You have to melt the block in a bowl with boiling water, wichich is easier if its crushed. It is easiest when you wrap it into a towel and beat it with a hammer or a baseball bat. ;) The paste should be creamy, not to sticky so it is easier to apply, not to liquid so it won't run down on you clothes. Coat your whole hair with the paste, it's best to work by sections with the assistance of someone. wrap your hair into film or put on a shower cup. The guide says, let it sit for 2 hours, Emi says, let it sit for 5 hours, then rince it out well.
It's always important to remove all of the drops and stains on your skin and on other items.

After I did this, my hair felt very soft again, it hat a light reddish shine, but did still look natural.
Some week after this I tried normal red henna mixed with coconut milk, and I had almost the same result, but still I think, Caca Rouge is worth a try and worth the price.:)

on 3/6/2014 5:07:00 AM

This review is for the Caca maroon as there isn't a separate listing for that.

Read if you want to use this henna dye for dark/virgin oriental asian hair. I will have some general tips at the end as well.

Unfortunately, the Caca maroon didn't work for my hair. I knew from the beginning that it wouldn't really colour my hair, but I was expecting at least somewhat of a reddish shine under the sun, but that didn't happen either. I used 3 blocks for my just blow shoulder length hair and I did as much as I could to boost the effect of this product. I added lemon juice, wrapped my hair in cling wrap, heated it with a blow dryer, covered it with a winter hat to store heat and left it on for 5 hours...now my hair has a slightly browner, hazel shine under the sun. The only thing I could think of that may have been a problem is that I took too long to apply and it cooled down in my hair?

On the bright side, my hair does seem to be healthier. I guess I could still use the rest of it as a hair treatment.

Some general tips.
Some people find it really hard to break the brick. For me that was actually the easiest part of the process. Just take a cleaver to it, and a hammer to the cleaver and chop it into the 6 blocks. Then put the blocks in a bag and smash it with a hammer.

Melting was also easy. I finished at a greek yogurt consistency, though I would recommend getting it a bit runnier, or else it will dry too fast in your hair, crumple and fall before you can finish the whole head.

Washing it out was the most difficult part. I don't recommend washing it in a plugged tub of water, the henna will float and stain all around the tub. Try maybe getting the most off in the sink (smaller area to clean) or a bucket before getting into the shower. Some people wash with conditioner only, I tried that and it didn't work out well. There is so much coca butter, you really need to do a shampoo to get everything out. Or else, your hair will look greasy and smell funny the day after.

on 12/28/2013 8:44:00 PM

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

It's products like this that make me happy for the swap board.

I had seen so many raves about how great this product is that I was dying to try it. I've used many different kinds of hennas (my current favorite being Silk and Stone from Amazon) and the LUSH had been on my list to try for quite awhile. I was finally able to procure a brick of it. I followed the directions indicated in the package, covered my head, and waited the specified 2 hours. It never turned the orange color I typically see with henna - instead it was pretty much all green and sandy. It took forever to wash out (which is not unusual for henna, but this seemed to take an extra long time). The worst part, though, was that once I finally got it all out, I did not see the red I was expecting. Instead, I was left with this heavy, nasty coating of something on my hair. It took me three washes to finally somewhat get it out. Needless to say, I am not impressed with Caca Rouge. I will continue to stick with my Silk and Stone and the hennas from the international market. They're much cheaper and achieve MUCH better results.

on 12/10/2013 3:08:00 PM

I really enjoy LUSH products and for a while thought this was a reasonable deal. I have used it a number of times. The hard block is a pain in the butt to break up but the 25 dollar block lasts for 2 hennas of my thick hair. You must boil water, add, mix, apply to hair, wait hours, and you get nice results. However, I stumbled upon henna powder at my local produce market and it does the same exact thing. In fact, it is less of a handful as it is already broken up, I just add hibiscus tea for a redder hue, apply to hair, wait, and rinse, with very similar results. At a fraction of the cost. I respect this brand and really like their products, however the price is unjustifiable with the amount of similar results yielding products available at your produce, health, or cultural (usually indian) market. I got a bag worth 2 applications off ebay for less than 8 dollars.

on 11/22/2013 10:21:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

LOVE LOVE LOVE.

I always wanted to be a redhead. I'm a natural blonde. I chose henna because it's a real natural way of getting a nice color. I chose Caca Rouge because I trust Lush over other brands. Also, for me, Brazilian, it's the best price I could get for the benefits.

I've been using it for 2 years and couldn't be happier. It made good to my hair's texture, actually improving it, and gave me the color of my dreams. You can check in my album.

I cut it with a big knife in chunks, let them soak in hot water for about 40 min in bain marie, stir the mixture and apply it to hair. Lately, I've been only doing my roots, wich makes this an ever cheaper option! Works fine this way. Indeed, my hair is so saturated with color, the last time I hennaed the entire hair, it stained my pillow a little!

on 9/20/2013 9:17:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I can't say enough horrible things about this henna. I've used henna for years and I know poor quality. This was cheap and disgusting. Full of sand twigs and God only knows what. I spent an hour trying to get the sand out. I finally gave up and blow dried then shook and brushed the rest out. Color good? Sure but 30+ with shipping? For a block of sand??My Indian grocers nupur brand is light years better. I'm going back to the website now to see about a refund. Save your money - unless you like sand in your hair.

on 9/9/2013 6:36:00 PM

I'm continually amazed by the positive reviews and gorgeous photos all over the internet of this product. It did NOTHING for my hair. No change in color, no change in texture. I wanted this to work so badly, and I was so excited to try it :(

on 6/18/2013 5:49:00 PM

Love this! Having gotten tired of my overly processed highlighted blonde hair, I was ready for a change, and that's when I got this product at LUSH. After leaving it on for six hours, my hair had changed from dry and highlighted blonde to a beautifully conditioned and rich flame red. Highly recommend if you want a natural looking true red.

on 4/18/2013 11:25:00 AM

Alright, up to using this product I read a lot of reviews bad and good, so I guess I want to add another helpful one into the mix!
Starting off, I LOVE my results! I realize that this product is more expensive than henna that you can get online but I'm told (by my roommate who is a lush employee) that is because the results will be fairly predictable and lush mixes it with cocoa butter and other things that are great for your hair and make it easier to use. In my opinion you end up with salon quality color anyway that is actually GOOD for your hair at a fraction of the price.
My hair before coloring was dark brown with highlights to a subtle ombre effect, but most importantly READ THIS REVIEW IF YOU WANT AN IDEA OF WHAT HENNA WILL DO TO YOUR DARK BROW HAIR (because I felt like I couldn't find anything). It will actually give you results!

I did few things differently than the instructions with good effects, so don't worry if you don't follow them perfectly.
I feel like you can read another review to talk about the whole process so I guess I'll just add some tips.
1(I forgot this 1 initially) I coated my hairline, upper neck, and ears with petroleum jelly, henna stains your skin)
1. Put lemon juice in the mix, I used two lemons, and I actually wish I would have used more, the lemon juice intensifies and reddens the color. I also added a little coffee (like 4 tablespoons roughly) which I heard would deepen the color.
2. put old towels down all over your bathroom floor because it. will. get. every.where.
3. Its really so messy, having a few spare pairs of gloves is good because your gloves will get overwhelmingly caked with the mixture, I also did my hair in three sections and cleaned up my sink in between each one, I can't imagine what it would have looked like in the end if I hadn't.
4. HEAT I kept the pot I mixed the henna in in some hot water in my sink to keep the mixture warm, once it was finished and wrapped in saran wrap I blow-dryed my head on hot for like 5 minutes a couple different times while I was waiting to warm it up.
5. make a "turban" from an old tshirt over your cling wrap, it will increase the temperature and soak up the mixture that makes its way out of the clingwrap.
6. Time! lush says leave in for one to two hours, I left mine in for almost 5, i'd say 5 hours is a better time frame to let the color soak in.

Now for getting this crap outta your hair! It's certainly not easy, but very doable with patience, I was in my shower for 40 minutes and I got allll of it out. my hair was in 3 buns and i undid one at a time to get the henna out which i think was a good method. I just put my hair directly in the water in smaller sections and squeezed the henna out to the best of my ability. (Warning: the water will be completely brown and disgusting looking and your shower will get all gritty.) once Ive squeezed a ton of the excess henna out I used COPIOUS amounts of conditioner, globbed it into my gritty hair, and let it sit for almost 10 minutes I'd say. This was very effective, I was able to comb the rest of the grit easily from my slick hair afterward. Keep in mind, I conditioned before using any shampoo, and when I did shampoo I used a mild lush one that wouldn't stip my hair (our house is overflowing with lush because of my roomie who works there) Also, make sure to keep washing yourself off,so the henna doesnt stain you at all. I also wiped down my shower curtains thoroughly before I got out, it felt like a sandstorm had just taken place in my shower.

Now my dark hair has a red glow inside buildings and outside it looks quite red (nothing drastic but I've seen more drastic results with more lemon juice) and my highlights ended up bright red, I adore the color!! My hair feels SO soft and is really shiny as well.

So, moral of the story, you should get good results from Lush henna when you have dark hair if:
1: you mix in a lot of lemon juice (2-4 lemons) LEMON
2: you keep the mixture warm and your head heated when the henna is setting HEAT
3: leave it in for at least 5 hours. TIME