December 20, 2014 | 1267 users online

Hair - LUSH - Caca Rouge Henna

image 0image 1image 2

rated 1 of 5 on 12/28/2013 8:44:00 PM More reviews by dragongirl26

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

It's products like this that make me happy for the swap board.

I had seen so many raves about how great this product is that I was dying to try it. I've used many different kinds of hennas (my current favorite being Silk and Stone from Amazon) and the LUSH had been on my list to try for quite awhile. I was finally able to procure a brick of it. I followed the directions indicated in the package, covered my head, and waited the specified 2 hours. It never turned the orange color I typically see with henna - instead it was pretty much all green and sandy. It took forever to wash out (which is not unusual for henna, but this seemed to take an extra long time). The worst part, though, was that once I finally got it all out, I did not see the red I was expecting. Instead, I was left with this heavy, nasty coating of something on my hair. It took me three washes to finally somewhat get it out. Needless to say, I am not impressed with Caca Rouge. I will continue to stick with my Silk and Stone and the hennas from the international market. They're much cheaper and achieve MUCH better results.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/10/2013 3:08:00 PM More reviews by kendallr123

I really enjoy LUSH products and for a while thought this was a reasonable deal. I have used it a number of times. The hard block is a pain in the butt to break up but the 25 dollar block lasts for 2 hennas of my thick hair. You must boil water, add, mix, apply to hair, wait hours, and you get nice results. However, I stumbled upon henna powder at my local produce market and it does the same exact thing. In fact, it is less of a handful as it is already broken up, I just add hibiscus tea for a redder hue, apply to hair, wait, and rinse, with very similar results. At a fraction of the cost. I respect this brand and really like their products, however the price is unjustifiable with the amount of similar results yielding products available at your produce, health, or cultural (usually indian) market. I got a bag worth 2 applications off ebay for less than 8 dollars.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/22/2013 10:21:00 PM More reviews by tamilves

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

LOVE LOVE LOVE.

I always wanted to be a redhead. I'm a natural blonde. I chose henna because it's a real natural way of getting a nice color. I chose Caca Rouge because I trust Lush over other brands. Also, for me, Brazilian, it's the best price I could get for the benefits.

I've been using it for 2 years and couldn't be happier. It made good to my hair's texture, actually improving it, and gave me the color of my dreams. You can check in my album.

I cut it with a big knife in chunks, let them soak in hot water for about 40 min in bain marie, stir the mixture and apply it to hair. Lately, I've been only doing my roots, wich makes this an ever cheaper option! Works fine this way. Indeed, my hair is so saturated with color, the last time I hennaed the entire hair, it stained my pillow a little!

rated 1 of 5 on 9/20/2013 9:17:00 PM More reviews by mk02a76

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I can't say enough horrible things about this henna. I've used henna for years and I know poor quality. This was cheap and disgusting. Full of sand twigs and God only knows what. I spent an hour trying to get the sand out. I finally gave up and blow dried then shook and brushed the rest out. Color good? Sure but 30+ with shipping? For a block of sand??My Indian grocers nupur brand is light years better. I'm going back to the website now to see about a refund. Save your money - unless you like sand in your hair.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/9/2013 6:36:00 PM More reviews by fabulyss

I'm continually amazed by the positive reviews and gorgeous photos all over the internet of this product. It did NOTHING for my hair. No change in color, no change in texture. I wanted this to work so badly, and I was so excited to try it :(

rated 5 of 5 on 6/18/2013 5:49:00 PM More reviews by barrieb3

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Love this! Having gotten tired of my overly processed highlighted blonde hair, I was ready for a change, and that's when I got this product at LUSH. After leaving it on for six hours, my hair had changed from dry and highlighted blonde to a beautifully conditioned and rich flame red. Highly recommend if you want a natural looking true red.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/18/2013 11:25:00 AM More reviews by ohemmalouise

Alright, up to using this product I read a lot of reviews bad and good, so I guess I want to add another helpful one into the mix!
Starting off, I LOVE my results! I realize that this product is more expensive than henna that you can get online but I'm told (by my roommate who is a lush employee) that is because the results will be fairly predictable and lush mixes it with cocoa butter and other things that are great for your hair and make it easier to use. In my opinion you end up with salon quality color anyway that is actually GOOD for your hair at a fraction of the price.
My hair before coloring was dark brown with highlights to a subtle ombre effect, but most importantly READ THIS REVIEW IF YOU WANT AN IDEA OF WHAT HENNA WILL DO TO YOUR DARK BROW HAIR (because I felt like I couldn't find anything). It will actually give you results!

I did few things differently than the instructions with good effects, so don't worry if you don't follow them perfectly.
I feel like you can read another review to talk about the whole process so I guess I'll just add some tips.
1(I forgot this 1 initially) I coated my hairline, upper neck, and ears with petroleum jelly, henna stains your skin)
1. Put lemon juice in the mix, I used two lemons, and I actually wish I would have used more, the lemon juice intensifies and reddens the color. I also added a little coffee (like 4 tablespoons roughly) which I heard would deepen the color.
2. put old towels down all over your bathroom floor because it. will. get. every.where.
3. Its really so messy, having a few spare pairs of gloves is good because your gloves will get overwhelmingly caked with the mixture, I also did my hair in three sections and cleaned up my sink in between each one, I can't imagine what it would have looked like in the end if I hadn't.
4. HEAT I kept the pot I mixed the henna in in some hot water in my sink to keep the mixture warm, once it was finished and wrapped in saran wrap I blow-dryed my head on hot for like 5 minutes a couple different times while I was waiting to warm it up.
5. make a "turban" from an old tshirt over your cling wrap, it will increase the temperature and soak up the mixture that makes its way out of the clingwrap.
6. Time! lush says leave in for one to two hours, I left mine in for almost 5, i'd say 5 hours is a better time frame to let the color soak in.

Now for getting this crap outta your hair! It's certainly not easy, but very doable with patience, I was in my shower for 40 minutes and I got allll of it out. my hair was in 3 buns and i undid one at a time to get the henna out which i think was a good method. I just put my hair directly in the water in smaller sections and squeezed the henna out to the best of my ability. (Warning: the water will be completely brown and disgusting looking and your shower will get all gritty.) once Ive squeezed a ton of the excess henna out I used COPIOUS amounts of conditioner, globbed it into my gritty hair, and let it sit for almost 10 minutes I'd say. This was very effective, I was able to comb the rest of the grit easily from my slick hair afterward. Keep in mind, I conditioned before using any shampoo, and when I did shampoo I used a mild lush one that wouldn't stip my hair (our house is overflowing with lush because of my roomie who works there) Also, make sure to keep washing yourself off,so the henna doesnt stain you at all. I also wiped down my shower curtains thoroughly before I got out, it felt like a sandstorm had just taken place in my shower.

Now my dark hair has a red glow inside buildings and outside it looks quite red (nothing drastic but I've seen more drastic results with more lemon juice) and my highlights ended up bright red, I adore the color!! My hair feels SO soft and is really shiny as well.

So, moral of the story, you should get good results from Lush henna when you have dark hair if:
1: you mix in a lot of lemon juice (2-4 lemons) LEMON
2: you keep the mixture warm and your head heated when the henna is setting HEAT
3: leave it in for at least 5 hours. TIME

Good Luck!

11 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 2/28/2013 5:21:00 PM More reviews by LenevonRouge

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I had read so much good reviews that I was so excited and couldn't wait to try it! I'm a natrual brunette but I been dying my hair red for about 10 years now and wanted to try something healthier for my hair! I knew it wouldn't do much for my roots but I was atleast expecting my ends to be bright orangey red but nope saw no difference what's so ever! And I even had it in over night smh! The worst part was that I now have to wait 8 weeks to dye my hair now :/. Waste of money but atleast I tried it out and now no one can tell me otherwise. Oh and by the way I still have split ends, my hair isn't any softer or shinier and it def didnt cure my dry scalp.....disappointment. I guess unless you're a blonde or have bleached hair, SAVE your money and time, cuz it is a long and messy process to add to it as well.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/14/2013 7:10:00 PM More reviews by RaspberryRipple

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Oh my God!!! This stuff is the most amazing hair product EVER!!! I'm a natural redhead but it's gone dull over time, i've lost the vibrant red undertones with age.
Between this and regular swimming and surfing ruining the condition ive been unhappy with it for a LONG time.

I had been using Aveda's Madder Root colour conditioner (just to give it a little kick) but I've recently switched to all LUSH products and refused to use anything with silicones again (this was a problem, as I really need the extra little colour boost in the madder root conditioner but there was no way i was using it again with those silicones in it. I got one little sample square in LUSH and I did a sample test this evening. I'm quite proud of being a natural red head, and really don't want to have to dye my hair. I was really nervous as I just wanted a teeny hint of it, not the dyed look. Anyway, I poured boiling water on the chopped up cube and added conditioner to it, I put some on a few test stands for 20 mins and rinsed it out, and it was perfect so I said I would try putting the rest of the mix on my whole head. (I could have done with an extra square though!!) I left it on for 20 mins and I cannot believe what the Caca Rouge has done for my hair.

My hair feels like silk, it's shiney and it's subtly brought out the colour of my hair. It doesn't look dyed at all, it just looks like i've had some kind of amazing treatment done.

I highly recommend it!! Oh and ps. I'm not a particularly tidy or careful person, and yeah it's a messy job but it's not half as bad as i expected to be having read some of the reviews on here!! It's a tiny price to pay.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/14/2012 8:19:00 AM More reviews by muaKissAndMakeUp

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've colored my hair three times now with the Lush Caca Rouge and I think I'm ready to write a review :-)

Using this product takes practice. Seriously lots and lots of practice. Working with henna will always be a messy ordeal, but you will eventually get the hang of it, I promise. The first time I used this, it wasn't a huge success. My bathroom looked like a nightmare afterwards, and only the top layer of my hair was colored. But, that said, the henna did turn my hair a gorgeous warm reddish brown that I absolutely loved. And it makes my hair super shiny and soft. So I knew I wanted to keep trying until I got it right. And now after three tries I think I finally got it.

Here's a step-by-step tutorial of how I color my hair with henna:

1. Prepping the hair: I part my hair in the middle and divide each half in three layers which I then divide in three or four equal locks of hair. I keep them all separated with little hair clips so that I end up with approximately 20 locks of hair.

2. Prepping the bathroom: I cover my bath tub with two garbage bags and protect the floor with two big towels. I take off all my clothes (sexy) and put on a garbage bag (not so sexy).

3. Prepping the henna: On a cutting board I cut 5 or 6 pieces of henna into smaller bits using a sharp knife and I put them in a big glass bowl that I keep warm au bain marie. I add boiling water to the henna and stir until it becomes a thick mixture that kind of looks like fresh cow dung. Hence the name ďCacaĒ. Mooo!

4. The actual coloring: With latex gloves on, I put henna on each lock of hair from root to end. I slap the leftover henna on my head and massage it into the roots as thoroughly as possible. I wrap my hair in plastic wrap and put on a shower cap. Iím getting sexier by the minute!

5. The clean up: I throw away the garbage bags, put the towels in the washing machine and clean all my tools. I rinse the bath tub and step in the shower to get rid of the spilled henna on my body. I vacuum up the clumps of dried henna that ended up on the bathroom floor.

6. The wait: I leave the henna in my hair for four to five hours.

7. The rinse: I step in the shower and just let all the henna wash out. While I wash myself, the last big chunks of henna are rinsed out. I shampoo my hair twice and then use conditioner.

8. Iím now officially a redhead!

Here are some extra tips:

1. Color your hair in the shower or in the bath tub. It will still be a messy ordeal, but that way at least the rest of your bathroom stays clean.

2. Make sure you have enough garbage bags or old towels to protect the floor. That way you can just gather everything up afterwards and throw it in the garbage or in the washing machine.

3. Go naked or wear old clothes to prevent stains.

4. Keep your vacuum cleaner ready. That way you can just suck up the dried up henna on the floor. If you try to wipe it away, youíll only get stains.

5. Get in the shower to rinse out your hair. Otherwise it will take forever to get all the henna out.

Do ifÖ

1. You want to color your hair the natural way.

2. Youíre patient, like to mess around a bit and arenít afraid to get your hands dirty.

3. You like the smell of grass and nature (because thatís how henna smells, hmmm).

Donít ifÖ

1. You want to go lighter or want a special color: with henna you can only go red, black or brown.

2. You donít want a permanent color: henna doesnít fade.

3. You donít want to spend a whole day coloring your hair and donít want a big clean-up afterwards.

I'll definitely keep using Lush's Cacas. Next time I might to a tad darker with the Caca Marron or Brun.

19 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No