July 28, 2014 | 1670 users online

Hair - LUSH - Caca Rouge Henna

image 0image 1image 2

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/9/2013 6:36:00 PM More reviews by fabulyss

I'm continually amazed by the positive reviews and gorgeous photos all over the internet of this product. It did NOTHING for my hair. No change in color, no change in texture. I wanted this to work so badly, and I was so excited to try it :(

rated 5 of 5 on 6/18/2013 5:49:00 PM More reviews by barrieb3

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Love this! Having gotten tired of my overly processed highlighted blonde hair, I was ready for a change, and that's when I got this product at LUSH. After leaving it on for six hours, my hair had changed from dry and highlighted blonde to a beautifully conditioned and rich flame red. Highly recommend if you want a natural looking true red.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/18/2013 11:25:00 AM More reviews by ohemmalouise

Alright, up to using this product I read a lot of reviews bad and good, so I guess I want to add another helpful one into the mix!
Starting off, I LOVE my results! I realize that this product is more expensive than henna that you can get online but I'm told (by my roommate who is a lush employee) that is because the results will be fairly predictable and lush mixes it with cocoa butter and other things that are great for your hair and make it easier to use. In my opinion you end up with salon quality color anyway that is actually GOOD for your hair at a fraction of the price.
My hair before coloring was dark brown with highlights to a subtle ombre effect, but most importantly READ THIS REVIEW IF YOU WANT AN IDEA OF WHAT HENNA WILL DO TO YOUR DARK BROW HAIR (because I felt like I couldn't find anything). It will actually give you results!

I did few things differently than the instructions with good effects, so don't worry if you don't follow them perfectly.
I feel like you can read another review to talk about the whole process so I guess I'll just add some tips.
1(I forgot this 1 initially) I coated my hairline, upper neck, and ears with petroleum jelly, henna stains your skin)
1. Put lemon juice in the mix, I used two lemons, and I actually wish I would have used more, the lemon juice intensifies and reddens the color. I also added a little coffee (like 4 tablespoons roughly) which I heard would deepen the color.
2. put old towels down all over your bathroom floor because it. will. get. every.where.
3. Its really so messy, having a few spare pairs of gloves is good because your gloves will get overwhelmingly caked with the mixture, I also did my hair in three sections and cleaned up my sink in between each one, I can't imagine what it would have looked like in the end if I hadn't.
4. HEAT I kept the pot I mixed the henna in in some hot water in my sink to keep the mixture warm, once it was finished and wrapped in saran wrap I blow-dryed my head on hot for like 5 minutes a couple different times while I was waiting to warm it up.
5. make a "turban" from an old tshirt over your cling wrap, it will increase the temperature and soak up the mixture that makes its way out of the clingwrap.
6. Time! lush says leave in for one to two hours, I left mine in for almost 5, i'd say 5 hours is a better time frame to let the color soak in.

Now for getting this crap outta your hair! It's certainly not easy, but very doable with patience, I was in my shower for 40 minutes and I got allll of it out. my hair was in 3 buns and i undid one at a time to get the henna out which i think was a good method. I just put my hair directly in the water in smaller sections and squeezed the henna out to the best of my ability. (Warning: the water will be completely brown and disgusting looking and your shower will get all gritty.) once Ive squeezed a ton of the excess henna out I used COPIOUS amounts of conditioner, globbed it into my gritty hair, and let it sit for almost 10 minutes I'd say. This was very effective, I was able to comb the rest of the grit easily from my slick hair afterward. Keep in mind, I conditioned before using any shampoo, and when I did shampoo I used a mild lush one that wouldn't stip my hair (our house is overflowing with lush because of my roomie who works there) Also, make sure to keep washing yourself off,so the henna doesnt stain you at all. I also wiped down my shower curtains thoroughly before I got out, it felt like a sandstorm had just taken place in my shower.

Now my dark hair has a red glow inside buildings and outside it looks quite red (nothing drastic but I've seen more drastic results with more lemon juice) and my highlights ended up bright red, I adore the color!! My hair feels SO soft and is really shiny as well.

So, moral of the story, you should get good results from Lush henna when you have dark hair if:
1: you mix in a lot of lemon juice (2-4 lemons) LEMON
2: you keep the mixture warm and your head heated when the henna is setting HEAT
3: leave it in for at least 5 hours. TIME

Good Luck!

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 2/28/2013 5:21:00 PM More reviews by LenevonRouge

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I had read so much good reviews that I was so excited and couldn't wait to try it! I'm a natrual brunette but I been dying my hair red for about 10 years now and wanted to try something healthier for my hair! I knew it wouldn't do much for my roots but I was atleast expecting my ends to be bright orangey red but nope saw no difference what's so ever! And I even had it in over night smh! The worst part was that I now have to wait 8 weeks to dye my hair now :/. Waste of money but atleast I tried it out and now no one can tell me otherwise. Oh and by the way I still have split ends, my hair isn't any softer or shinier and it def didnt cure my dry scalp.....disappointment. I guess unless you're a blonde or have bleached hair, SAVE your money and time, cuz it is a long and messy process to add to it as well.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/14/2013 7:10:00 PM More reviews by RaspberryRipple

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Oh my God!!! This stuff is the most amazing hair product EVER!!! I'm a natural redhead but it's gone dull over time, i've lost the vibrant red undertones with age.
Between this and regular swimming and surfing ruining the condition ive been unhappy with it for a LONG time.

I had been using Aveda's Madder Root colour conditioner (just to give it a little kick) but I've recently switched to all LUSH products and refused to use anything with silicones again (this was a problem, as I really need the extra little colour boost in the madder root conditioner but there was no way i was using it again with those silicones in it. I got one little sample square in LUSH and I did a sample test this evening. I'm quite proud of being a natural red head, and really don't want to have to dye my hair. I was really nervous as I just wanted a teeny hint of it, not the dyed look. Anyway, I poured boiling water on the chopped up cube and added conditioner to it, I put some on a few test stands for 20 mins and rinsed it out, and it was perfect so I said I would try putting the rest of the mix on my whole head. (I could have done with an extra square though!!) I left it on for 20 mins and I cannot believe what the Caca Rouge has done for my hair.

My hair feels like silk, it's shiney and it's subtly brought out the colour of my hair. It doesn't look dyed at all, it just looks like i've had some kind of amazing treatment done.

I highly recommend it!! Oh and ps. I'm not a particularly tidy or careful person, and yeah it's a messy job but it's not half as bad as i expected to be having read some of the reviews on here!! It's a tiny price to pay.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/14/2012 8:19:00 AM More reviews by muaKissAndMakeUp

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've colored my hair three times now with the Lush Caca Rouge and I think I'm ready to write a review :-)

Using this product takes practice. Seriously lots and lots of practice. Working with henna will always be a messy ordeal, but you will eventually get the hang of it, I promise. The first time I used this, it wasn't a huge success. My bathroom looked like a nightmare afterwards, and only the top layer of my hair was colored. But, that said, the henna did turn my hair a gorgeous warm reddish brown that I absolutely loved. And it makes my hair super shiny and soft. So I knew I wanted to keep trying until I got it right. And now after three tries I think I finally got it.

Here's a step-by-step tutorial of how I color my hair with henna:

1. Prepping the hair: I part my hair in the middle and divide each half in three layers which I then divide in three or four equal locks of hair. I keep them all separated with little hair clips so that I end up with approximately 20 locks of hair.

2. Prepping the bathroom: I cover my bath tub with two garbage bags and protect the floor with two big towels. I take off all my clothes (sexy) and put on a garbage bag (not so sexy).

3. Prepping the henna: On a cutting board I cut 5 or 6 pieces of henna into smaller bits using a sharp knife and I put them in a big glass bowl that I keep warm au bain marie. I add boiling water to the henna and stir until it becomes a thick mixture that kind of looks like fresh cow dung. Hence the name ďCacaĒ. Mooo!

4. The actual coloring: With latex gloves on, I put henna on each lock of hair from root to end. I slap the leftover henna on my head and massage it into the roots as thoroughly as possible. I wrap my hair in plastic wrap and put on a shower cap. Iím getting sexier by the minute!

5. The clean up: I throw away the garbage bags, put the towels in the washing machine and clean all my tools. I rinse the bath tub and step in the shower to get rid of the spilled henna on my body. I vacuum up the clumps of dried henna that ended up on the bathroom floor.

6. The wait: I leave the henna in my hair for four to five hours.

7. The rinse: I step in the shower and just let all the henna wash out. While I wash myself, the last big chunks of henna are rinsed out. I shampoo my hair twice and then use conditioner.

8. Iím now officially a redhead!

Here are some extra tips:

1. Color your hair in the shower or in the bath tub. It will still be a messy ordeal, but that way at least the rest of your bathroom stays clean.

2. Make sure you have enough garbage bags or old towels to protect the floor. That way you can just gather everything up afterwards and throw it in the garbage or in the washing machine.

3. Go naked or wear old clothes to prevent stains.

4. Keep your vacuum cleaner ready. That way you can just suck up the dried up henna on the floor. If you try to wipe it away, youíll only get stains.

5. Get in the shower to rinse out your hair. Otherwise it will take forever to get all the henna out.

Do ifÖ

1. You want to color your hair the natural way.

2. Youíre patient, like to mess around a bit and arenít afraid to get your hands dirty.

3. You like the smell of grass and nature (because thatís how henna smells, hmmm).

Donít ifÖ

1. You want to go lighter or want a special color: with henna you can only go red, black or brown.

2. You donít want a permanent color: henna doesnít fade.

3. You donít want to spend a whole day coloring your hair and donít want a big clean-up afterwards.

I'll definitely keep using Lush's Cacas. Next time I might to a tad darker with the Caca Marron or Brun.

19 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/5/2012 11:08:00 PM More reviews by gigglesys

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

a lot has been said already abt application process
l just wanna add

1. dont grate. put in ziplock bag and pound

2. start application in middle of hair. and just make a circle like u do for a bun. due to henna, it will stay that way. keep on taking small sections of hair from nearby and just wrap them round it. makes application easier, specially for long hair.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/23/2012 7:54:00 PM More reviews by SparkleBunny37

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Lush's Caca Rouge Henna Hair Color promises that it will give you a "beautiful head of fiery red hair, naturally". This natural hair dye is made of the "finest Persian henna, blended with cocoa butter and added herbs and essential oils for unbelievable softness and shine". Lush goes as far as to say that the color of Caca Rouge will stop traffic. Lush offers four shades of their henna hair colors, all of them are said to be 100% natural, though some challenge this. I won't go into how to apply henna hair color because I already wrote a walk through and Lush makes the directions readily available. Lush hair color is vegan, and like all their products, cruelty free. This product was made in Canada by Brandon. An 11.4oz brick retails for $24.95 in Australia and America (I've bought it in both countries). I get two uses per brick.
Lush's Henna dyes don't really have much packaging to speak of. The dye comes in a small brick made up of six smaller squares. Caca Rouge is an ugly greenish brown. The brick is wrapped in red paper with thhe name of the product and a description on the front. Removing and unfolding the paper wrapper reveals detailed instructions and information on how to use henna hair color. This henna brick is pretty solid but crumbly at the same time. It can be difficult to cut through without the squares falling apart. That might make mixing it easier though.
Caca Rouge is relatively easy to use. The results you get from this product vary depending on your natural color and how you use it. Henna can be left in for as short as an hour or as long as twenty four hours, depending on how intense you want the color to be. The shade can also be altered by how you wear the henna in your hair. A shower cap or cling film can be used to create redder hair, open air will deliver an auburn or browner hue. I leave this dye in for between 6-9 hours and wear a shower cap. That combination turns my dull strawberry blonde hair into a vibrant but natural, super shiny red. It's quite dark the first day or so, more of an auburn, but it adjusts into a very pretty my hair but better red. The results from all of Lush's henna hair colors is pretty natural, so don't turn to Caca Rouge if you're looking for orange or cherry red hair. The henna continues to develop and oxidize in the hair for up to three days, so don't be too disappointed if the color isn't exactly what you wanted at first.
Whether or not henna is damaging to the hair is somewhat inconclusive. Some will say that it's the healthiest way to color your hair, others say it's just as, if not more damaging than chemical based dyes. There are several studies online if you're interested in the subject, but I won't include any for neutrality sake, plus I've only read one in depth. I can speak for my own experiences though. I have naturally very healthy, strong, long, thick hair, and I don not feel like Lush's henna damages or harms my hair in any way. After use my hair is very soft, shiny, and manageable. I also think it doesn't tangle and get matted the way it tends to in it's untreated state. Perhaps it's from the dye's cocoa butter base. I can't fully speak for the damage or lack there of I get from this dye, because I can't compare it to boxed dye, a product I've never used and don't really plan to.
I don't feel like my henna colored hair needs any special care to maintain the color. I've used 4 different shampoos and five different conditioners on my henna color treated hair none of them except Clear's Total Care Scalp&Hair Beauty Therapy stripped my hair color. With regular washing, conditioning, and brushing, my hair color holds up for 6 weeks before it begins to fade evenly. That's pretty long for any red dye. If you feel the need to use special hair care for your henna treated hair, Lush offers a few specially formulated products. I should mention that henna hair dye is not idea for chemically treated hair (permed, dyed, relaxed etc) and shouldn't be bleached or dyed over with boxed dye.
I really love Lush's Caca Rouge Henna Hair Color. It takes more effort to use, needs to be kept in longer, and is messier than the boxed dye you could pick up at the drugstore, but for me it's worth it. The color I get from this henna is very pretty and natural looking and my hair seems healthy after use. I get two uses per brick, making the cost relatively on par with boxed dyes from the drugstore. The results are long lasting as well. I recommend Lush's henna hair colors to anyone who wants to dye their hair auburn, black, brown, or red. I will continue to buy this hair color, it's my favorite Lush product.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/17/2012 2:52:00 AM More reviews by CimCim

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've tried it yesterday. First of all I must say : It's amazing and I don't ever want to dye my hair with chemical hair dyes.

My mother helped me with it, so yes it's messy but since I got help from my mother, I didn't even notice it. If you previously dyed your hair with chemical hair dye, just do the same procedure. Use glows, wrapping paper, don't wear your favorite things, put old newspapers on the floor and don't move around etc. etc. The difference while you wait for 40 minutes witch chemical dyes, this time you'll wait for 4 hours. But it passes.

Also I must add this. I'm from Turkey, using henna in hair is very common here. My grandmother used henna for her hair, and on my mother's hair. So my mother was very familiar with the tecnique and this was my chance maybe. I read so many reviews about how it didn't work. In that case a second try might help.

About the smell, yes it's may not be the best thing in the world, especially compared with other amazing Lush products, believe me it's better than chemical dye smell. Also it won't burn your head like chemical dyes.

Now the best part, colour : I had dark brown hair but I dyed it to caramel brown with blond highlights. I was not a sustainable colour, I was tired of my dark roots also it's more of a summer colour. I decided to swith it. My natural colour was dark brown and I had blond/caramel hair on the tips.

The result : Roots are dark reddish brown, shines amazing in the light. Kinda like marroon. Tips are red but the colour is smooth it's not two toned. It's looks natural like my hair was naturally lighter in the tips.

Also, even if the colour remanied stable it would totally worth it since my hair hair is thicker, stronger, shininh. I can almost feel it.

So I recommend this product and I'll keep using this and will stay away from chemical dyes for the rest of my life.

Remember it's all about experience and tecnique.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/24/2012 11:56:00 AM More reviews by Chemikalische

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Blue

Didn't work at all on my hair, next to no change in the colour. A waste of money, for me.