July 28, 2014 | 1412 users online

Cleansers - Oil Cleansing Method (OCM)

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 4/20/2014 9:08:00 PM More reviews by IndustryKoda

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

OCM may not be the answer for everyone. Here are the basics:
1) Different types of oil and how they are extracted:
Jojoba, coconut, castor, sesame, advocado, walnut, sunflower, olive, ad add.
Organic, non organic, cold pressed, expeller pressed, chemical process, steam distillation etc.
2) Your skin type, including any allergies or sensitivities.
3) Desired usage:
Makeup removal vs treatment.
Personally, I cannot use liquid foaming cleansers or even "milk" cleansers. They break me out into cystic acne, blackheads, and whiteheads. Soaps typically go the same way. I mix organic coconut and jojoba oils and melt using the least amount of heat, stirring and swirling constantly. I splash warm water on my face to help open pores and warm the skin. I then pat the pil into the skin concentrating more to areas with waterproof cosmetics. I allow to remain on the skin for 5min or more then begin massaging it in. After that, more warm water to emulsify and finally, Shea Moisture black soap to remove all residue and makeup.
Final note: Cost and qaulity of the oil varies. it is worth it to buy organic and made without chemicals or heat.
Pre made oil cleansers (ranging from MAC to Garnier) are made with stabilizers, preservatives, etc. They are not the same thing as OCM and should not be treated as such. Read ingredients!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 4/19/2014 10:37:00 PM More reviews by srbel

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I had to write this review I never write reviews but I just had to. I always had pimple free skin and never had any problems with acne of anything like fhat. Having a pimple was very rare. But then I started this awful oil cleansing method. The first 2-3 weeks everything was fine. But then one day I woke up looked in the mirror and had 4 big swollen pimples in the middle of my cheek. I thought it was just a bad reaction to food or something so I continued with the OCM. A view days later both my cheeks where coverd with realy big swollen painful acne pimples!!!! I directely stopped using it but thw pimples just kept on coming. I went to my docter and he said it was possible the oil clogged my pores causing an infection that resulted to acne. PLEASE DO NOT TRY IT IT JUST IS NOT WORTH IT I FEEL SO STUPID FOR TRYING IT. Now months later and with antibiotics my skin is starting to clear but I still have a way to go. It was a traumatic experience for me so I needed to warn people.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 4/12/2014 2:41:00 PM More reviews by mtcowgirly

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Bad for my skin. I did ocm for about two weeks. My skin is very oily all over, but dehydrated and flaky at the same time. Frustrating. Suffered from bad bad acne since I was 12, and I'm now 25. Some days I couldn't even go to school or work because it hurt so much. Usually break out worst around my chin and mouth and jaw.

Ok, so my skin was doing quite well, but I was breaking out in a rash every few weeks, which I believe is eczema. I tried the ocm with coconut and olive oils. Didn't know these are quite comedogenic. The first week it felt like a miracle. My skin was comfortable and calm and dewy. I would massage the oil onto slightly damp skin for about two minutes, then hold a hot wet microfiber cloth over my face until it cooled - repeated until most of the oil was gone, but still left my skin dewy. Then suddenly I broke out terribly all around my mouth and jaw. It was very physically and emotionally painful. Smiling hurt my face. The worst ever perhaps. I went a few more days then stopped and went back to my MK cleanser. It's been over two weeks since this happened. I think I was lucky and stopped soon enough. I am still recovering from a few lingering cysts and of course red post-acne spots. I have been using ACV toner (50/50 water and ACV) to help heal my skin too. It works really well.

I think there were a few reasons I had a bad reaction that could've been avoided:
1) my skin needs to be physically/chemicaly exfoliated and the ocm alone just clogged my pores so my skin couldn't breathe
2) olive and coconut oils can clog pores sometimes. Maybe not the best choice?
3) It might've worked if I did it less frequently or followed with a cleanser.

So, I truly hope this might help others. I think if you have skin like mine you should only do the ocm occassionally or followed with a cleanser. Research oils.

That said, I might try this again in the future as a pre-cleansing makeup remover occassionally...once my skin has healed a bit more. EV Coconut Oil (nutiva brand) works wonders on my body and eyes, so I might just use that without any other oil. Will update.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/4/2014 5:45:00 PM More reviews by Arhtexas

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

HATED THIS!!!!!!! It was all fine and good...I was using the premium oils, had an appropriate mixture for my skin type, etc....when after 3 weeks, I got tiny flesh toned bumps (enclosed pimples) all over my forehead. I kept going for another week, giving grace to the "purging period" but when they only remained the same, I went back to chemical based (which I was trying to avoid) to get rid of them! 8 months later, I finally am back to normal and have gotten rid of most of the bumps. I now am washing my face with honey and goats milk which is also chemical free and is doing wonders for my skin- no breakouts, no need for lotion! I personally did not have a good experience with the OCM but am so glad so many others are enjoying it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/1/2014 6:44:00 PM More reviews by heather

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I am loving this. Effective, non-irritating, and easy to rinse. My current recipe for 5 oz of cleansing oil is:
2 ounces castor oil
1 ounce rice bran oil
1/2 ounce grapeseed oil
1/2 ounce avocado oil
1/2 ounce apricot oil
1/4 ounce Cromollient SCE
1/4 ounce Polysorbate 80

This makes a golden-colored, clean-rinsing oil with no scent.

I can use this for a nice long facial massage, makeup removal, and all around cleanser. I rinse with a cool washcloth (my rosacea can't handle a hot washcloth or steaming session). I've toyed with more expensive oils but this is my favorite combination so far. I've not had a single problem. No purging, no dryness or oiliness. I get my emulsifiers from lotioncrafter and they are pretty economical since you use a small amount with each batch. Also posting this review in the OCM+Polysorbate topic.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/25/2014 11:27:00 AM More reviews by Alyssa1209

I've been using OCM for about a month, and I am very happy with it. I can't say it's a miracle cure for acne, but it has improved my skin more than any other product I've used.

I have always had really bad skin. It's extremely oily, but also dry to the point of being tight and flaky, sensitive and acne prone. There's never a time when I don't have a breakout and I have to wear a lot of makeup every day, and touch it up every hour, just to feel normal and keep up with the shine that takes over my face.

Before trying OCM, my night time routine was using makeup removing wipes (which burned my eyes and made my skin feel tight), following that up with a clean and clear cleanser (which made my skin even tighter and dryer), then using a moisturizer to combat the dryness (I've tried so many different moisturizers none of them worked very well for me and I always still felt tight and looked like an oil slick by the next morning). I also used an apricot scrub 3-4 times a week trying to get rid of build up and flaky skin that never seemed to go away. I was so sick of using all these products and my face just didn't feel or look good, so OCM seemed to make sense for me.

I started with EVOO and castor. I was nervous about it at first so I only used it to remove makeup and then used a Cerave cleanser afterward to make sure no oil was left behind. I immediately noticed a difference in the softness and reduced oil production of my skin, and the oil removed makeup SO MUCH easier and gentler than any makeup remover I had ever used. The EVOO wasn't doing anything for my breakouts, though, so after about a week and more research on what was best for my skin type, I decided to switch to a grapeseed/castor/teatree mix for makeup removal and cleansing, stopped using the additional cleanser afterward, and use a little plain grapeseed oil afterward for moisturizing. Amazing!

The oil really does desolve oil. I go to bed with my skin feeling soft and refreshed, and when I wake up my skin is still matte. No oily shine. This alone is amazing for me! My skin is much more moisturized than it ever was when I was gobbing on tons of "moisturizer", and my breakouts are reduced. I still have some pimples, but not nearly as many and as frequently as I was getting before. My pores are smaller and much less noticeable. I also haven't changed my diet or anything like that so the results are strictly from the cleansing. As an additional bonus, it seems to be making the fine hair on my face and lip areas less noticeable as well. I find myself plucking a lot less, which I wasn't expecting. The process of the massage, steaming and cleansing is also very relaxing. It feels more like "me" time than it did before.

In the morning, all I do is run a warm wet wash cloth over my face and apply a tad more grapeseed for moisture, and that's all I need. I haven't used or needed to use any type of exfoliator or mask since starting OCM. I guess when my face is actually getting CLEAN, those other products are uneccessary. I used to spend a ton of money on a ton of products and now I spend very little and use one mixture that takes the place of exfoliator, cleanser, makeup remover AND moisturizer! Can't beat that.

My tips would be to make sure you are always using CLEAN, fresh washcloths. I have 4 washcloths and I use a fresh one every morning to wipe off my face that is already clean from the night before, hang it up to dry, then use that same washcloth for OCM that night, then throw it in the laundry to be washed. I also mix my oils every night in a fresh glass so I don't risk getting bacteria from my fingers into a larger batch. Make sure you massage slowly and you will feel the grainy texture of the gunk coming out of your pores. I do my eyes last so I don't get eye makeup all over my face.

If you have combination skin I would say definitely give this a try. I can't imagine ever going back to using all those gross, stripping, expensive products again. It's great.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2014 6:07:00 PM More reviews by TrueCOWgirl

I just tried the OCM a few days ago. The only oils we have in the house are olive and coconut. I've heard some varied things about olive oil (many things I read is that is can, for some people, further clog pores).

So far, I'm only using coconut oil and sometimes a few drops of jojoba. It is working SO well! I was super skeptical, since that slimy-greasy feeling of oil is like the most disgusting thing ever (I never ever wore lotion when I was younger, simply because I didn't like the greasy feeling it left until it was absorbed). I was brave though and tried. I was SO surprised how soft and clean my skin felt after gently rubbing the oil off.

I'm wanting to try the castor oil with jojoba, tea tree, and grape seed oils...then experiment from there, but I'll have to wait for my order to ship out of course. LOL!

I'll see how my skin does in the future...

Occasionally if I feel I need something that will get a little extra cleansing going, then I'll use a little toner.

What's the best news? FINALLY my sebaceous filaments on my chin/nose are starting to shrink... I've tried EVERY other home remedy and cleanser out there, but still had no luck.

It also takes place of my moisturizer and my skin has no more peeling.
I'm really hoping OCM keeps working for me, because my skin is the best it's ever looked right now!

rated 1 of 5 on 1/1/2014 8:38:00 PM More reviews by elaineos

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I normally wouldn't write reviews, however I have felt obliged to share my story of OCM after how helpful all the reviews on it have been for me. It is now four months since I stopped using this method, and for the first time in a very long time my skin is about 90% clear.
I began using OCM after a bad breakout. I used about 10% castor oil and 90% Olive Oil religiously every evening for about a month and a half. At first my skin improved slightly, which is probably why I persisted so long trying to make OCM work for me, however for the most part I had terrible breakouts. I developed painful cystic acne on my chin and forehead, something which I had never had before, but it was my cheeks which were worst affected. Here, I had lots of tiny blackheads and larger whiteheads in an area where I used never have any problems with spots or clogged pores. After trying different oil ratios and even getting rid of Castor Oil I eventually convinced myself that this wasn't just the purging everyone spoke of and stopped.
Straight away I switched to an Avene cleanser for sensitive skin, to calm mine. After a few weeks of little improvement I ended up forking out for three sessions of micro-dermabrasion and milia removal with a needle. This saw the first significant improvement in my skin for a long time. I then switched to the Dermalogica Dermal Clay Cleanser for oily skin which also really helped. My skin was better, but I was still getting breakouts on my cheeks and forehead quite frequently, just less cystic acne.
In the end it has been Apple Cider Vinegar that saved me. About two months after stopping OCM I began to use this as a toner alongside the Dermalogica Cleanser and I also drink a tablespoon full diluted in water daily. Along with this I also started taking Pure Cod Liver Oil and a Zinc supplement daily, and have now seen a dramatic improvement in my skin for the first time in months. I'm still getting a few spots on my cheeks, but for the most part my skin is clear.
I don't doubt that OCM is good, but I always read that it's not for everybody, and I think that is just how it went for me. One thing I wish I knew when I started though, was that it can take at least four months to thoroughly clear your skin if this doesn't work for you.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/29/2013 6:42:00 AM More reviews by prettypollyperkins

I normally cleanse with oils once a week to once a month, depending on how congested or dull my skin is. For years I have had very stubborn, open pores on my nose that look like brown blackheads and after every facial they would just plug up again. I had tried dozens of products and treatments to tackle this problem and was never happy with the results. In desperation, I decided to use castor oil and sweet almond oil, 50/50 mix. I only use the smallest amount, about half a teaspoon in all, smooth over my entire face and top of my neck then work into my nose area for about one minute. I then place a warm to hot, damp cloth over my face and work it into my nose. At this stage I can see my nose is a lot clearer. I then repeat with the oils and hot cloth, use a creamy cleanser (Elemis Pro Radiance or Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish are good for this) to cut through most of the remaining oil but leave the skin soft. This is important if you don't want to look like a greaseball for the rest of the day. I then rinse with lukewarm water then tone with a very gentle toner (for this I use pure rosewater, with or without glycerin). I only do this cleanse occasionally but it a) unplugs my blackheads, b) removes any dead skin and c) leaves my skin soft and radiant. I've had to avoid it lately as I've had mild rosacea on my cheeks due to a product that didn't agree with me and the colder weather, but now my skin is almost back to its normal state I am really enjoying doing it again. BTW my skin is normally oily/combination and currently slightly dehydrated too. I hope this info. helps anyone with similar skin concerns to mine.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/8/2013 6:19:00 PM More reviews by CamiWillians

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I hated this product. Upton trying, I went from having no skin problems whatsover to being covered in acne.

This OCM method works for a lot, but not everybody~!!!! Be careful and take it slow and really check up on your skin.