Oil Cleansing Method (OCM)

3.3

oil

on 1/14/2015 6:11:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

So, I'm going to be brutally honest with you. If you're not willing to experiment with different types of oil or expect miracles overnight, this is not the thing for you. If you however, are willing to experiment a bit, this cleansing method can be really rewarding.

My skintype is normal to oily skin with a little bit of dryness on the forehead. On my nose and chin I have some sebaceous filaments with some occasional blackheads on my chin, jawline and cheeks. I also have enlarged pores in the t-zone of my skin.

I'm 3 weeks into the OCM and my skin has never looked better. I get compliments from friends and family, asking me what I'm doing different with my skin. It looks dewy, soft and the very stubborn sebacious filaments on my nose have started to disappear. My pores are notably smaller. Overall, I'm very happy with the results.

I use jojoba oil and avocado oil in a 50/50 ratio from a good quality organic source. I followed the instructions on crunchbetty.com. I found the oils that worked for me pretty quickly, but a friend of mine, had less luck at first, but stuck to it and now has the best skin ever! Please, if you're starting this method, give it at least two weeks of experimenting before writing it off if it doesn't work for you at first.

on 1/14/2015 11:54:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I am acne prone and, like other acne sufferers, I will try anything that purports to cure acne at least once. And so, I tried this. In retrospect, sort of dumb - I should have consulted my derm or esthetician first. I started with concocting a frequently-changing blend of oils, with castor as a carrier oil, and then by using Julep's cleansing oil once I started to break out. The ritual of it was great. I spent way more time on my face than I had before, and I think that that was important. My skin felt soft and moisturized. But I then I started breaking out pretty badly from it (and not in my hormonal areas).

At which point I told my dermatologist about it, and she was like "NO, STOP," because I do not have the type of skin that can withstand different oils being rubbed into it every day. She DID suggest, however, carrying on with a similar routine of double-cleansing, the facial massages, and using a fresh towel on my face every time, etc. with my regular Cetaphil cleanser. And I've definitely seen results from it - my skin looks clearer and is less clogged, and taking the time to really stimulate my face definitely makes it brighter (and is supposed to, in the long run, help with sagging and wrinkles - I'm in my twenties, so I can't quite speak to that yet).

I think what I've realized is that the biggest strength of the oil cleansing method and the reason why so many people have seen such extreme results is more than likely due to the fact that they've started properly washing their faces for the first time, not so much the cleansing method itself. If you're at all like me, face washing usually means whacking on some cleanser, smooshing it around a bit, and then washing it off and drying your face with whatever towel is on hand. The great thing about oil cleansing is that it really gets you into a ritual - you steam your face, spend a full minute massaging the product into your face, you double-cleanse, you use a clean muslin or flannel cloth to get it off each time. THOSE, I think, are the things that really make the difference here, not so much the oil itself.

I don't think that I would recommend this to someone who has issues with acne - it might work, but it's really playing with fire a bit, particularly since a person with acne doesn't have the luxury of playing around with what oil blend may or may not work without causing their face to blow up. I never felt my blackheads "falling out" or anything (that just seems a little bit unlikely, and more like dead skin cells were probably balling up from the micro-exfoliation of the person's hands working their skin), but I did see a lot of whiteheads come in. My skin was definitely moisturized, but not in a way that is unattainable with a gentle non-foaming cleanser and a good moisturizer. So I have to give the oil cleansing method a low rating, but I do have to stay that I have stuck to some of the good cleansing habits that I gained while on it, and I'm grateful for that.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Oil cleansing, in the most basic sense (as far as I can tell), is using only oil and then a warm washcloth to wipe the face. On my dehydrated skin, this means that whatever moisturizer I use after oil cleansing can't properly moisturize as there is a layer of oil it cannot penetrate through. While I do have success in removing my makeup with oil, I find that I need to double cleanse (follow up the oil cleansing with regular face wash) or else the next morning I will wake up with flaky skin.

I have tried this multiple times with various oils (mineral, grapeseed, apricot kernel, avocado, almond, rosehip, argan, etc. and in different ratios) and have had the same flaking day-after experience with each. As a positive, I at least did not notice any increase (or decrease) of acne.

I do sometimes use the oil cleansing method as the first step in my cleansing routine, but as a standalone it doesn't work for my dehydrated skin type.

on 12/21/2014 9:11:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Life saver! I'm 17 and before this past year I always had clear skin, then all of the sudden over the summer I broke out like crazy! I had cystic acne,bumpy skin texture everywhere and I felt so depressed and spent my whole summer inside my house:( my mom was trying to help me & we started this method and after the first use my skin was super soft! It pulled out all the gunk from my skin. I still have scars from pimples but this has helped my skin stay smooth. We use hazel,grapeseed and borage oil cause they don't clog pores. I think the people who are having a bad reaction are using the oils that clog your pores such as olive oil & castor oil.

on 12/17/2014 3:21:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I think this, like many other things in skincare and for that matter life, may work wonders for one person but may not have the same great effect on everyone. I have been using different oils (coconut, jojoba, olive) to remove my makeup for years and would follow up with different cleansers. About 2 weeks ago I decided to try the oil cleansing method and give up my cleanser. I did this because my skin is dry but most moisturizers clog my pores and the older I get the drier and more sensitive my skin is getting.
I use grape seed and almond oils, I made sure to go with organic cause I feel like the quality of the oils are better. I would put a few drops of either oil or a mixture of the two on cotton round, working the oil in to the cotton. Then gently swipe over my entire face, this would generally remove all makeup with one round. I would follow up with a warm damp wash cloth. Sometimes after I would take a few drops of the almond oil and message it in my skin leaving it on.
In the time I have been doing this I have noticed some changes in my skin. My skin looks plumper and more hydrated. Also before I had a lot of cloggage in the pores around my nose and cheeks, which is not fully gone but is greatly improving.
I canít say for sure if this is a cleansing system I will stick with for years, but I can say for the winter with my dry clogged skin I have been happy with the results.
If you are wanting to try this and have read the horror stories and are scared from that maybe try using different oils to remove your makeup a few days a week and see how your skin reacts.

on 12/7/2014 12:03:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Deep Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

AWFUL DISASTER I read up quite a bit about this I wish I had heeded the warnings here on makeupalley about oil cleansing but I stupidly ignored it I tried oil cleansing with grape seed oil as I read that its great for acne prone skin, I don't exactly have acne prone skin its more sensitive and I get acne when its irritated.

I was so excited about not purchasing any more creamy facial moisturising cleansers I thought my face would be cleansed and nourished, but to my horror my pores got blocked my skin felt so tight, dry and irritated yet at the same time it was dripping oil the whole process with the hot wash cloth pulled at my skin and exasperated fine lines and I'm only 21 I should have known ! I mean my skin doesn't like manual exfoliation at all only chemical exfoliators work peels, clays I don't know why I kept at it for a full 2 weeks.

I now have acne every where on my face its horrible I also scar after acne so its going to be a process to fix this.

I'm tempted to try again using mixing oils with emulsifiers as the oil should be rinsed off upon contact with water and the wash cloth isn't neccessary. the review for that method has more positive reviews

on 11/29/2014 8:14:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Please please please think carefully before doing this 'method'. I tried it using olive oil and the first few nights I was really impressed, my skin was glowing, soft, my acne was clearing up! But then it all went to hell after a few weeks when my skin got really bumpy and irritated. My skin looks like crap right now it's like all all those weeks when I thought it was working it was actually trapping the dirt causing pimples to emerge weeks later. I'm using a regular cleanser again but my skins still all clogged up and breaking out constantly :( I also suffer from eczema and this gave me a rash on my face! You'd think oil would be moisturizing right? But no it actually gave me dry skin.. I really regret trying this and ruining my skin >:(

on 11/1/2014 8:54:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I tried ocm when I was 21 and it was awful. My face dried out but was an oily uncomfortable mess. As I've gotten older (I'm 30) I've realized my acne has been food allergy related, with dairy being the absolute worst! Once my face started clearing up I realized my skin that while still oily is quite dehydrated. Last winter I started using oil as moisturizer and while better, it still felt tight and dry. I knew cleaners were stripping it too much so I decided to give oil cleansing another try at the end of this summer.

My skin now glows! I oil cleanse at night (I often wear makeup) and use oil to moisturize. In the morning I rinse with water and use witch hazel and regular moisturizer (this helps my makeup stay a little better). My pores have gotten smaller and don't seem as blocked. I worry much less about "will all this washing give me wrinkles?". My pms breakouts are hardly anything! I also used to get a huge change in texture in my skin right before my period, which isn't nearly as bad. I do still get a cyst here and there but always on my jaw or neck - directly dairy related.

I honestly feel comfortable without makeup for the first time ever! I was the girl who wore foundation if I had the flu, god forbid my parents had to see my face. I still have some uneven skin tone but that's nothing in comparison to 98% clear skin! My favorite oils are jojoba,grapeseed, and rosehip. I'm still experimenting with mixes but so far am very happy. It makes the nightly routine longer but is so worth it.
*Edit 2/8/15*
This is still working great for me! I thought it'd be worth mentioning that I don't double cleanse, to me it just sounds like a lot to cleansing to put your skin through unless you're removing heavy makeup. Stripping my skin with even "gentle" cleansers was my original concern that lead me back to oil cleansing. Now that it's cold and dry outside my skin is a bit dryer, but NOTHING like the super dry "my face is going to crack and fall off" feeling I used to get.

on 10/29/2014 10:23:00 AM

I have sensitive, combination skin, prone to clogged pores.
I heard that the OCM is good for people with clogged pores, as the oil actually dissolves the clogged oil in your pores. I was really scared to put oil on my face as it always gives me breakouts, but I wanted to give it a go.
I tried these oils for about a week each (comedogenic rating)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (2)
Coconut Oil (4)
Grapeseed Oil (2)
Jojoba Oil (2)
Sunflower Oil (0)

How I used it: I massage about 1/4 teaspoon on my dry face in the evening for about 5 minutes. Then I put a hot cloth on my face for 30sec and wipe it all off. My face is perfectly clean, soft, moisturized and a bit red.
However, I stopped doing the OCM, because it gave me a bad allergic reaction with tearing eyes and a swollen face, which is really sad, because I really loved how it made my skin look so radiant and soft.
The coconut oil broke me out the worst and after hearing about oils and their comedogenic rating I realized why. The sunflower oil worked best for me, it was the least irritating oil I have ever used. And I just used plain sunflower cooking oil.

+ Makes skin super soft
+ Gives your face a radiant, healthy glow
+ Fades red marks, helps with active blemishes + blemish marks
+ Removes every little trace of makeup
+ Makes lashes stronger and healthier

- might cause an Allergic reaction (tearing, swollen eyes), (swollen,face and lips)
- might cause rash of clogged pores

I really love and believe in the idea of OCM, unfortunately every oil I have used so far caused an allergic reaction for me. So it's really important to find the right oil for your skin type, because what might work for somebody else does not have to work for you as well. I continue to look for my perfect oil!

on 10/28/2014 9:00:00 AM

I don't know why it took me so long to try this, probably because of the "oh, it's going to stick on my fingers" reservation.

I've spend hundreds -- if not thousands -- of dollars on cleansers. I am a total product junkie. I've been weening myself off of the chemicals, little by little. I'm a health nut, and it makes no sense to invest so much of my energies on being healthy, while slathering carcinogens on my skin because I am vain.

A friend of mine has gorgeous skin, and I commented on it.

She told me when she became pregnant, she started oil cleansing, using olive oil and castor oil.

I googled, bought some organic castor oil, I always have organic EVOO on hand, and have been using it for a week.

I simply cannot believe how soft and gorgeous my skin is. I feel these very small plugs come out every so often while I massage, and just keep going, I don't even spend tons of time with the "wet washcloth" after the fact.

I have been using L'Occitane's cleanser in the blue pump bottle to get rid of "too much," but my skin is absolutely amazing, and I have great skin already.

I wipe my fingers over my chin and cheeks, and there is nothing but smoothness and suppleness, no exfoliation involved.

Whole new game. I am well over the 40 mark, have combo skin getting dryer and dryer on my cheeks by the year, still oily in the T-zone, though my zone is reversed: chin and nose area can get congested.

I've been using a mix of approximately 70 percent EVOO & 30 percent castor oil.

I cannot imagine not doing this at least several times a week for the rest of my life.

It's not the price, which is ridiculously inexpensive, given what I have spent on skincare during my life (had Accutane treatments in my early 30's even), it's the results.

Absolutely clarity and easy cleansing.

Mind blowing.