Oil Cleansing Method (OCM)

3.3

oil

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

Like dissolves like in theory. Not in practice when talking about plant oils and human skin lipids. OCM is best for dry skinned folk and those with clog prone, acne prone skin should stay away from this method of cleansing. It often is a messy failure for many and here is why: skin produces oil in response to androgen hormones your body produces. Oil cleansing and wiping the mixture away with water and a washcloth can remove substances from the surface of skin, but this alone isnít affecting what is happening below the surface, inside the pore, or in your body, where these hormones that control how much oil your skin produces are generated.
Not to mention the hot water combined with a washcloth is highly irritating to the skin. Inflammation=acne, that's a fact.
If you are doing the OCM and you're purging let me tell you something you're not purging. You're ruining your skin. Skin does not purge *unless* you're using an active such as AHAs BHAs and RA which speeds cell turnover, thus bringing material to the surface. It's as simple as that.
if your skin is a dryish/oily broken out mess from Oil Cleansing...STOP.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

No matter what oils I used my skin did not like this method.
I really wanted this to improve my complexion and wanted to use something healthier for my skin. Unfortunately after trying many different mixes my skin reacted terribly.
My skin looked dull and broke out more frequently and my oil increased instead of getting better with use.
I also found it too messy and time consuming mixing, storing and applying, unless you use one oil. Most of the scents of the oils kinda made my stomach turn over time.
In the end I would not try this again and prefer cold creams to this.
Surprisingly the cold creams have been what's really improved my skin and are very cost effective.

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

This has replaced my usual Clarins cleansers (which I loved). I use fresh olive oil alone to cleanse my face, and it works better than anything I've ever tried. It removes sunscreen and a full face of makeup, including mascara and eyeliner with virtually no effort. I simply pour a little olive oil into my hand, massage it into my face (including around my eyes and eyelashes), then use a warm washcloth to remove it. Afterwards, I'm left with smooth, clean skin... and no it doesn't leave a noticeable residue this way. Sometimes I also like to do a second cleanse, and massage the oil into my problematic areas. This uncloggs my pores and works well to minimise blackheads. I know that this method won't work for everyone, and I was terrified that it would break me out. But I've never been happier. For reference, my skin is combination (oily t-zone, dry cheeks) but it has become much more balanced since. I also occasionally use a tiny amount of this on my skin (face and body) if it's especially dry. Jojoba and rosehip oil are also great on my skin.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

My skin has always been problematic. Very sensitive, extremely dry, patchy and flaky and since I stopped taking the contraception pill I get hormonal breakouts in my hair- and jawline. I've tried so many things, I gave up the idea of ever having beautiful skin. I thought I'd try to go more natural and start using natural oils.

I've read about the method, comedogenic ratings etc and started trying different oils. Trial after trial, error after error. I've tried mixes of (all cold pressed, organic) coconut oil (the worst!!!), olive oil, castor oil (extremely drying), sunflower oil (drying), almond oil, argan oil, rosehip oil, nigella oil, jojoba oil, sheabutter, cocoabutter, euhm, I might forget one or two, but you get the point. Some were really really bad for my skin, others were ok (sheabutter) but didn't really do anything good for my skin either. My skin has never been as bad as the months I was trying oil cleansing. Dry, red, patchy, flaky and painful, with more zits, black- and whiteheads than I've seen on my face ever before.

So after error #376 I just had enough and went back to my pharmacy brands (eucerin 5% urea and vichy nutrilogie2). My skin calmed down within days, but something weird happened, which is actually my reason for writing this review. My skin has always been extremely dry, my entire life. But now its oily. The supermoisturizing creams I used are way to rich now. My face is shiny and more prone to acne. Right now I'm using Vichy normaderm 3 in 1 cleanser in the morning 3 times a week, after which I only use a very small amount of a light hydrating cream by Avene on my cheeks and around my mouth. The other mornings I only wash my face with water and I don't need moisturizer after that, which is still so weird to me, my skin always felt so tight after showering I had to slather on moisturizer even before putting on panties. In the evening I cleanse my skin with Vichy purete thermale 3 in 1 calming cleansing micellar sollution and I don't need moisturizer after that, During the day my t-zone gets shiny, even without moisturizer. My skin is clearing now, finally, but it took me a while to find a new routine to match the massive changes in my skin.

I'm not sure if it is caused by all that oil cleansing trial and error for months, but fact of the matter is my skin is the opposite of what it was before. I think I actually prefer oily skin over dry, so if the ocm caused that, I guess that's a good thing (which is why 2 lippies). Other than that, my experiences with the oil cleansing method were very bad and I really did give it a fair chance. I now use all these oils to make my own bodylotions and my arms and legs are softer and smoother than ever!

I have super sensitive combination acne prone skin that always has dry flaky patches matter what especially on and around the nose. Everytime I use an oil cleanser it either is too thick doesn't spread around tugging the skin or rinse off well thus leaving a residue. The super runny ones are messy to rinse of without the product runny down my arms. The oils due deep cleans the pores remove dirt oil and makeup from the pores. I like to use the slightly thinner consistency ones since its easier to spreed around and rinse off without leaving much of a residue. The problem is no matter what brand or type of oil from famous to all natural, pure oils, ones without mineral oils even just jojoba oil ect.... my skin always becomes unbalanced dry underneath and super oily on the surface. Then couple days of use my skin goes haywire with all sorts of breakout from mild tiny under the skin bumps, whiteheads, non inflamed/inflamed acne then as I continue ocm it gets worse and worse even cystic breakouts. My skin gets worse then what it was before ocm. I always double cleans with a mild gentle cleanser to make sure the oil is fully removed but this makes my skin even more dry and oily. Once I stop ocm it takes about 2 months or even more depending on how bad the breakouts are for it to calm down and slowly go back to normal as possible.

I've been using OCM for over 3 years. i have acne-prone skin and i still have some breakouts as i used to (not because of ocm), but i like it very much because it's the only thing that doesn't dry my skin. i like washing my face to clean it (don't like lotions) and every product i tried so far dries me and then the moisturizers are not good enough for me. with ocm i have a clean face, fully hydrated and my skin feels pretty soft. i'm changing my oils every now and then, but i'm mostly using jojoba or grapeseed with a few drops of tea tree and lavender eo.
way of use: I wet my face a bit, rub some oil all over my face and neck. wash again and wipe with some cotton. repeat. you can see on cotton if you are completely clear.
I add a few drops from my oil again if i want extra moisture and leave it on. On the other hand, if i want to remove the oil completely i use some cotton with rosewater to wipe it out.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

NOT FOR EVERYONE! This ruined my skin :(((( btw I used Castor oil and Sunflower Oil

I have always used my cleansing oil to remove all my makeup and I absolutely love it. However during that time of the month I would still get occasional breakouts and that because of my oily T-zone I am prone to clogged pores.
Discovered this method with a mix of caster oil and grape seed oil in the ratio of 3:7 I wake up with glowing skin. Received so many compliments on my skin, my brother even said my face 'sparkles'. Five lippies!

FOR THIS TO WORK. READ THIS PLEASE. You are NOT going to mix whatever oils you can think of trying to create 'an ultimate cleanser' or from what I heard from friends you will be more prone to breakouts if you do this. I will recommend blending just 2 oils in your first trial of this method- caster oil and another oil of your choice which has a lowest chance of pore-clogging: Hemp Seed Oil, Safflower Oil, Sunflower Oil. Moving the scale up will be grape seed oil or olive oil. (I love them for they are super moisturising). Also VITAL to try out the different ratios that will work for you. Caster oil is drying so I will recommend a 50:50 ratio for your first cleanse then you can adjust your ratio.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Best thing I ever did for my skin was starting to cleanse with olive oil. All I do is get a cotton ball wet, dip in a bit of olive oil, cleanse my face with that, and then follow up with a wet cotton ball with very diluted apple cider vinegar. Then just rinse that off and moisturize. The oil gets makeup off easily, but I always do it at least twice to make sure it's all off.
I have extremely reactive and sensitive skin, and this REALLY helped to calm it down. My skin is usually clear now, when before I had breakouts all over, all the time. On top of that, I attribute this awesome glow to my skin to this method. Definitely recommend, just make sure you get in some regular exfoliation, too.

I love it! I have been using the Oil Cleansing Method for more than two years and I would never go back to commercial products. My skin looks fresh, moist and plump. My pores are smaller. Occasionally I can see how small pieces of impurities come out on its one. Not only that it is good for my skin but also helps me relax after long and busy day. Very important thing is to use castor oil and to avoid highly comedogenic oils.