October 25, 2014 | 1115 users online

Treatments (Face) - Aura Cacia - Apricot Kernel Oil

rated 5 of 5 on 8/12/2012 4:35:00 AM More reviews by Becky2009

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Apricot kernel oil might be my favorite oil, and I love all oils! Others I use or have used regularly are jojoba, argan, camellia, rosehip, and tamanu. Why is apricot my favorite? I think because:
- it's super cheap, which means I can use it as a cleasner as well as a moisturiser (as opposed to say rosehip - too expensive to use as a cleanser)
- it goes on lightly and sinks in relatively fast
- very nourishing - particularly good in winter, when my skin can be dry.

Um... that's all I have. I don't know exactly why I love this so much, but I just know that when I use it my skin feels and looks great. I am trying to be ruthless with my skincare at the moment and only purchase/repurchase things I really love, but apricot oil is definitely on the "keep" list.

This is a review for apricot oil in general but the way, not a specific kind.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/22/2012 10:58:00 PM More reviews by staci01

I've had a bottle of this, the organic one, for over a year and it never dawned on me to use this alone on my skin. I was reading what I call the natural beauty Bible "Organic Body Care Recipes" by Stephanie Tourles and ran into apricot kernal oil again. The oil tightens skin and pores and has slight astringent quality. So I slathered some of this oil on my face and left it on for 4-5 minutes and then tissued the excess off and went to bed. When I woke up I had zero breakouts, my skin tone was even and over all my face looked chipper and happy. Decided to wait and keep trying it nightly as my skin is the moodiest thing ever and what starts out good most often turns out to be bad for my skin. It's been two weeks now and my skin is still getting along with this oil! Also I've noticed it really tightens pores! I've also been applying this oil to act as a protective barrier between my skin and foundation. I've yet to find a foundation that my skin gets along with so I have to deal with a few blemishes every time I use it. I stick with Lancome Dual Finish as it's the fairest shade I can find and also it's the closest I can find to MAC's StudioFix that's not StudioFix. After applying the oil, a moisturizer and the foundation my skin looked great and it also didn't freak out over the course of the day which is great. Also love the fact that it sinks into skin pretty quickly and doesn't make the skin look greasy or oily and doesn't, again, mess with foundation. I think this oil though may be a teeny bit drying but not much. The fact that it does such great things for my moody skin means I'll keep using it. Will always have this stuff on hand!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/18/2011 2:55:00 PM More reviews by Icaria

For me this is a nice alternative to argan oil wich was a bit clogging, especially on my face/T-zone. It penetrates quickly & the next morning my skin, especially my décolleté, feel smooth & comfortable. I got a small bottle for about $6 CAD so I didn't break the bank. Another nice little addition.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/24/2011 4:51:00 PM More reviews by glamstep

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

After Katrina Kaif (People's Magazine declared India's most Beautiful Women earlier this year) known for her glowing perfect skin confessed on being addicted to Anne Semonin's Apricot Kernel oil I had to try it. Even if that meant shelling out $130 USD for 1 oz for THAT brand!!!! It seriously feels like a makeup primer going on, it feels so so SOOoo silky smooth & just vanishes into the skin QUICKLY. My skin feels soo supple to the touch, but my eyes cant see a trace of it in any lighting! I use this in the morning before a cleanser because its a natural exfoliate, allowing cleansers to do their job better & then at night again to lock in moisture. Its stood the test of time even during the dry cold weather of NY, my face no longer cracks upon smiling or flake like dandruff (GROss I know) This has never given me any breakouts & has no scent. This would replace my daily moisturizer had it any spf, matter of fact I can just use sunblock now instead because this covers ALL my other needs.

FYI this oil is safe for even the most sensitive skin-acne, eczema, dermatitis etc (actually its used in baby products commonly) Its rich with Vitamins A and E linoleic, oelic (essential fatty acids) that give its anti-inflammatory properties; i.e improves blood flow & helps building firmer,elastic skin over time. Its popularly used in massage therapies to revitalize & refresh skin & even in hair products! It prevents hair loss, by strengthening the follicles.Their ton of recipes out there & you can/should find one that best suits you. O yea I bought THIS brand at Whole Foods for $4 for 4 oz & its the SAME STUFF as Anne Semonin----what a steal! (& what a ripoff right?)

13 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/9/2011 9:04:00 PM More reviews by Jstar2009

I love, love, love this oil. I have dry, yet acne prone skin (how lucky am I!?) so I'm always experimenting with hydrating creams/oils to get a glow back to my skin. I have given up on face creams to hydrate (I've tried everything) so now I use oil blends and have experimented with quite a few. Squalane and macadamia are firm favourites- added to these two is Apricot KerneL Oil. It makes my skin GLOW! I was shocked at how soothing and hydrating this oil is- it just really infuses my skin with that *healthy* look. Its a HG oil- one that I will be adding to squalane and macadamia. I Love it! :P p.s. I pick mine up from Wholefoods.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 4/23/2011 10:09:00 PM More reviews by kerroppi

Great oil for my face. Has definitely helped with my acne. Before this, I used sesame oil but it the oil was dryer and didn't help clear acne. AKO is thinner, but more nourishing. Thus, I was surprised when it actually helped with my acne. I put 1-2 drops of this on my damp face after washing and start under the eyes, then massage it throughout my face. Great stuff. will repurchase. Only facial moisturizer I use. Has helped with my oily skin...now I produce less oil.

edit: after a couple of months, I've noticed that this has resulted in consistent blemishes on the areas that I put it. I've started only putting it under my eyes, but have noticed that sometimes I develop blemishes on my upper cheeks, where the oil must have touched. Such a pity, as this is a very nice and nourishing oil that moisturizes well and doesn't make my face seem like an oil slick. However, I will not be using this for my face anymore, maybe body.

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/16/2011 1:42:00 AM More reviews by maryamaz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I throw a couple drops of this in with my conditioner when my ends are especially dry, and it makes a real difference in my hair texture. I'd be very careful about the amount used; when I've gone up to 4-5 drops, my hair looks terrible and oily. I use this as a makeup remover as well. I'm not sure if that's a great idea, but it's so effective and so cheap, plus it's nourishing.

I bought a big 16 oz. bottle of this from an online store (Majestic Mountain Sage, under the "Fixed Oil" section) a couple years ago and I'm still nowhere near finishing the bottle.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/8/2010 9:03:00 AM More reviews by untinnu

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I tried this based on review. Before this, extra virgin coconut oil was my night moisturizer (review in it's respective place).
This oil feels nice, it did felt thick, but it sunk in quickly and didn't feel as greasy as coconut oil. Sad to say that it did nothing for my skin, not only that, but after three days, I end up with white heads on my Tzone and chin. I went back to coconut oil, and after two days, my face is cleared..
I will use up the rest on my hair and body, will be back to review for that.
I most likely won't be repurchasing.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/21/2010 9:22:00 PM More reviews by AuNatural716

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

OMG, I thought I found my HG moisturizing oil (for the winter) with hazelnut oil, but I decided to try this anyway...this IS AMAZING..doesn't clog my pores at all and just gives me a glow! Makes my skin SOOOOO smooth and decreases my clogs/zits drastically, especially with the addition of a drop of neem oil! I rub 2-3 drops of AKO into damp skin, and wake up in the morning to smooth, RADIANT skin! Hazelnut is good too, but it does not do much for my acne or give me skin this SMOOTH and REFINED! I love this, and consider this HG status! No peculiar smell either, so that's great! I bought the NOW brand for only $4.00 too, so I will definitely continue purchasing and using this!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/30/2010 6:38:00 PM More reviews by av315

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I am 28 with normal, sensitive and acne-prone skin. I don't have very dry skin so I was sure my skin would go bezerk with pure apricot kernel oil since most skincare products make me break out, especially on my forehead and around my hairline and chin. But NO, this stuff is pure goodness for my skin! It doesn't clog my pores and it seems to go on smooth (not dry like grapeseed oil) but without being greasy like EVOO or Avocado oil (although I definitely would only put AKO on at night). I just lightly blot it and a little while later it's absorbed. I agree with others that the bottle I bought definitely makes it hard to not pour too much. It has a very neutral pleasant smell and blends great with essential oils.

UPDATE: I left for four days and somehow left without my AKO and went without moisturizer those nights. Anyway, the second or third day, the tiny bumps that I had along my jawline and hairline came back! People told me that AKO keeps your skin clear which seemed unlikely given how rich the oil is. I just didn't want it to CREATE problems where there were none, I wasn't expecting it to solve any. I now believe. I am back and I've been back on plain AKO with nothing added for three days and the bumps started clearing up after the second night of me using the oil again.

Summary: not expensive, it's rich without being greasy, neutral smelling, doesn't clog pores (may even clear things up), cruelty-free and as natural as you can get.

UPDATE: My friend suggested I try putting AKO on my hair which I did. It seems greasy and like it isn't going to absorb (kind of like on your skin) but an hour later my hair feels SILKY SMOOTH! Is there anything this stuff cannot do?!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No