April 19, 2014 | 1037 users online

Scrubs - The Body Shop - Africa Spa Body Salt Scrub

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/26/2011 12:04:00 PM More reviews by bleuday

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

For myself, this is a perfect example of a Body Shop product failure.

I love many of the lotions, creams, butters, bath milks, etc., in the spa and aromatherapy lines, but Body Shop has only made one exfoliating product that was effective, in my experience, over the years, and that one was not popular, so they have never repeated the formula:

the dry amber scrub that was nearly identical to Lather's "Bamboo" scrub (a personal favorite, even if I dislike the scent).

There is very little exfoliation in these Body Shop products, more like some grains of salt or sugar suspended in a heavy glycerin (or similar) base, that you rub on your body, and that gives the illusion of exfoliation, because your skin is so "soft." That's a layer of gunk that's been deposited on your skin, while most of the dead skin remains.

Kudos to those who use and love this type of product. The dry scrubs (many of which are too rough for many people, and why they like the feel of these heavy glycerin type formulas) really get the dead skin off; as do body brushes.

For myself, I prefer a good body brush, a dry scrub that foams (such powerhouses that really get the skin off), or a salt or sugar in a bit of good oil.

Use one of the above, and see how your moisturizer slip into your skin .... compare to these heavy formulas and try to use your moisturizer after, and see how it just sits forever.

Not my thing. The Body Shop body brush is much, much better for the real thing,

rated 4 of 5 on 9/19/2011 9:22:00 PM More reviews by lovehangover

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Hi, this is my review of Spa Wisdom™ Africa Ximenia & Salt Scrub (clarifying because the review listing isn't specific lol). This product smells very yummy, not foody, but a beautiful floral aroma that I can't place. It is a butter and/or cream-like consistency, and the scrub particles are fine yet effective, and left my skin soft and moisturized. I did something kind of wacky yesterday, I used this on my legs as a very thin shaving cream, and it left my skin smoother than usual, but as it's salt-based I don't recommend this to anyone else (I came out ok though).

The price is the only issue, it's expensive at $28, but The Body Shop has sales so often that this may not really be an issue and you do get a generous amount at 13.5 oz. (esp. compared to Spa Wisdom™ Morocco Black Olive & Argan Oil Scrub which retails for the same price, but has about half the product). I can't wait to use this in the winter time. 4 out of 5 stars :)

rated 2 of 5 on 9/4/2011 2:59:00 AM More reviews by voodoodoll

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Fail. I really wish I bought one of the other sugar scrubs in the smaller pot. I don't like the smell, it's not grainy enough (the salt just melts and you have to use alot of product to feel it's exfoliating). Overpriced. It is fairly moisturising and softening though. Personally I would not repurchase.

I'm going to add some sugar and maybe olive oil or honey to try and save it from the bin.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/5/2011 4:00:00 AM More reviews by kali205

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I'm not hating this, but I hope I can find a better scrub product as there's just nothing about it to truly love. It has an inoffensive scent and is generally inoffensive. The salt is in a nice creamy, if thick, base. I use it out of the shower on dry skin, then shower off. I find if I use it in the shower it seems to wash away before it does anything. It's not very rough, which is kind of good as it still seems to exfoliate. It's pricey and the packaging is just annoying.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/12/2010 3:58:00 PM More reviews by kaylo19

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Straight, Other Eyes: Green

I cannot get enough of the smell of this product! It doesn't seem like anything special in the jar, but after I shower with it I can smell this amazing really fresh/clean and not overpowering scent for hours...really like it! Yet, if you want to use it for practical purposes if may not blow you away...it is a decent scrub, but nothing intense or really special. The packaging (as others have noted) is ridiculous, while pretty, it is a huge pain to have to wrestle with the metal snap top while in the shower and it will eventual get shabby looking. The price is around $28 Canadian dollars, but you get 13.5oz...so not insanely expensive, but expensive enough.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/23/2010 11:42:00 PM More reviews by ticklemeyellow

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I agree with the previous MUA'er in that this body scrub is by no means a heavy duty exfoliant. That being said, because of the moisturizing shea butter, it does leave my skin feeling baby soft, so much so I do not need to apply a separate body moisturizer. This body scrub comes in a thick glass tub, while aesthetically pleasing, it isn't practical for using in the tub. The consistency of the scrub is thick and can be a bit messy during application. I find that applying this on my slightly wet body does the trick, without the shower running gives me the chance to apply/scrub it all over without it melting on me. I'm not too fond of the scent which is somewhat a cross between musky and floral, something I find gender neutral but not really my cup of tea. I bought this as one of the items during the 3 for $30 sale last year. Granted, it does come with a lot of product; however, I wouldn't pay full price for this scrub ($28). It is gentle and I would recommend this to anyone who dislike harsh scrubs but want the softening benefits.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/15/2010 1:29:00 AM More reviews by apgoh2

To me, this product is more like a body mask instead of a "Scrub". Reason being, while it does contain granules of salt in it that exfoliates to a certain extent, it does not perform a great job for exfoliating because the salt melts almost immediately especially in the steamy bath room.

I used this together with St Ives Apricot scrub and I must say that the results is very impressive, and spa-worthy. The Africa Salt Scrub contains shea butter, a moisturising property for the skin. It left my skin feeling soft and imparts a certain glow to the skin, therefore I only use this scrub whenever I need a 'pick-me-up' or special occasion. Left me smelling good as well.

I scrub my body for about 5 minutes, and leave it on for another 5 minutes before rinsing it off.

A little pricey for what you get, but go ahead and indulge if you're in need for some pampering !

rated 2 of 5 on 4/19/2010 12:12:00 AM More reviews by jaynek

This one's a 'fail' for me - hate the packaging (fiddly to open and gets rusty), really overpriced, not particularly effective. Avon used to make a product called something like "Africa Spa Wisdom" which had a really similar product with the same nice fragrance, but 40AUD cheaper! The Avon one's been discontinued (boo) so now I'm using a Neutrogena product instead, which has a nice lemony scent and feels like it's giving you a proper scrub. If someone gave me this product as a gift I wouldn't return it (although I'd put it in a different container!), but for my money it's just bad value.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/18/2010 2:19:00 AM More reviews by xliu4

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

First of all, I think the jar is really cute :)

I've noticed the skin on my legs are so much smoother after a few days of using this, I was more than amazed! My legs were very rough, the pores are disgusting due to a very bad allergy I had when I was little. So yea, my legs are smoother than ever!! LOVE it.

I know it's pretty pricey ($28 + tax), but i also think a little goes a long way, so this should last me a long time ;) can't wait to try other body shop products now!!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/20/2010 5:57:00 AM More reviews by vic2007

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is one of the best body scrub I ever tried, if not the best.And this is coming from a girl who has them all ( almost!), from La prairie, Darphin, Ysl, dior,Juvena,One minute manicure to Givenchy,Clarins,Origins,Bliss labs,Murad,Orlane,Dermalogica, Solessence ( best kept secret-scrub of the stars-this is HG) and a few others...I kid you not, I have these in my bathroom and use them regularly!
The list is endlless,and as a result my bathroom is like my own sephora shop
To be truthful,I've never even tried a body shop product on my own volition, I just don't shop there, and over time, I have received sets of shower gels and body butters from friends that left me unimpressed, and the only body shop product I do own and would actually buy is the jasmin neroli perfume oil ( well, it's been discontinued but I have stocked up 6 bottles, so that should last a lifetime!).
So,you can't imagime my suprise when I tried this scrub. I received it in a kit from a good friend who knows how obsessed I am with soft skin,and the set had this and a matching hand and foot cream and the dreamboat bath milk. The cream and the scrub both come in these big heavy glass jars.
Just looking at them, I dreaded their use! I opened the jars and tried to smell them, but the scent was very faint and "blah", so I thought nothing of it, so put them aside.
Anyway, one in evening, I was bored and decided to try the scrub.
First off, you need time for this one.This isn't one of these srcubs you keep in the shower, splash on and rinse.
The consistency is like hard wax, so it takes a bit of effort to take it out of the jar and apply on your body.it will take you 10 mns to apply this all over.I did it out of my shower , the good news is: it doesn't run and doesn't flake, so you can do it in or out of the shower.I did it out because I had a face mask on and figured why waste the time?
After application, I rubbed all parts for 2 minutes,and then had my shower, and that when the best part happened: the sent was released, and it smells DIVINE, not only that, but once out of the shower the skin is baby soft ( actually a baby will envy you!). You don't even need to apply a moisturizer ( or body oil or whatever) as the skin is soft and moisturized, and the scent lingers on for hours on my skin.
Since then, I found out of course ,this can be ordered online,and have purchased several jars to stock up before they discontinue, and at $28 the jar,it's pretty good and actually quite cheap compared to my La prairie which is 3 times that or even my Juvena which run over $120 for a 200 ml body scrub!
This is an instance where "you get what you pay for" doesn't apply.Actually, you will get more than what you pay for.
Now, I need to go an investigate more body shop products!