The Body Shop Africa Spa Body Salt Scrub

3.9

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

This has got to be one of the best body scrubs ive used. I make my own scrubs and feel those are more exfoliating but my olive oil base (equal amts of sugar and olive oil plus 1 juiced lemon. Refrigerate unused portions) but the olive oil base is too oily so I have to wash it off. I also find that using scrubs on dry skin instead of.wet skin makes it more exfoliating. After scrubbing, add some.water to dissolve the sugars and salt and you can shave your legs. This scrub, if used on dry skin right before a shower, will give you baby soft skin and I dont even have to wash it off like other scrubs. Lotion is also optional since it has moisturizers.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Cool

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

Omg hg body scrub this scrub is amazing!!! My friend introduced me to this she used it on my hands and it made it look smoother softer so now I use it all over and I love tge feeling of it afterwards makes ur body feel so smooth and soft

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

It is a relatively pricey scrub comparing to most of the similar products in the markets. I purchased it at the Body Shop store for HK$ 319.

It does a decent job in exploitating but not impressive. Anyway, this and the St Ives In Shower Exfoliating Body Polish- Oatmeal and Shea Butter would be my go to body scrubs.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool

This is a great scrub. The salt in it does the exfoliating, but since it's salt in a very creamy and moisturizing mixture, it doesn't leave your skin feeling rough. It's still tough enough to get scaly, peeling skin off. I use it for whenever I have difficult dry patches. As a bonus, this smells great, too. It's got a somewhat relaxing, mild perfume-like scent. The fact that this exfoliates and soothes at the same time is great! Also, it's 350 ml! It'll definitely last a long time, so it's worth the money.

A little warning, though: Do NOT leave this where water can soak into the container. The water will dissolve the salt, leaving only a creamy substance, and therefore rendering the scrub useless.

For myself, this is a perfect example of a Body Shop product failure.

I love many of the lotions, creams, butters, bath milks, etc., in the spa and aromatherapy lines, but Body Shop has only made one exfoliating product that was effective, in my experience, over the years, and that one was not popular, so they have never repeated the formula:

the dry amber scrub that was nearly identical to Lather's "Bamboo" scrub (a personal favorite, even if I dislike the scent).

There is very little exfoliation in these Body Shop products, more like some grains of salt or sugar suspended in a heavy glycerin (or similar) base, that you rub on your body, and that gives the illusion of exfoliation, because your skin is so "soft." That's a layer of gunk that's been deposited on your skin, while most of the dead skin remains.

Kudos to those who use and love this type of product. The dry scrubs (many of which are too rough for many people, and why they like the feel of these heavy glycerin type formulas) really get the dead skin off; as do body brushes.

For myself, I prefer a good body brush, a dry scrub that foams (such powerhouses that really get the skin off), or a salt or sugar in a bit of good oil.

Use one of the above, and see how your moisturizer slip into your skin .... compare to these heavy formulas and try to use your moisturizer after, and see how it just sits forever.

Not my thing. The Body Shop body brush is much, much better for the real thing,

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

Hi, this is my review of Spa Wisdom™ Africa Ximenia & Salt Scrub (clarifying because the review listing isn't specific lol). This product smells very yummy, not foody, but a beautiful floral aroma that I can't place. It is a butter and/or cream-like consistency, and the scrub particles are fine yet effective, and left my skin soft and moisturized. I did something kind of wacky yesterday, I used this on my legs as a very thin shaving cream, and it left my skin smoother than usual, but as it's salt-based I don't recommend this to anyone else (I came out ok though).

The price is the only issue, it's expensive at $28, but The Body Shop has sales so often that this may not really be an issue and you do get a generous amount at 13.5 oz. (esp. compared to Spa Wisdom™ Morocco Black Olive & Argan Oil Scrub which retails for the same price, but has about half the product). I can't wait to use this in the winter time. 4 out of 5 stars :)

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Fail. I really wish I bought one of the other sugar scrubs in the smaller pot. I don't like the smell, it's not grainy enough (the salt just melts and you have to use alot of product to feel it's exfoliating). Overpriced. It is fairly moisturising and softening though. Personally I would not repurchase.

I'm going to add some sugar and maybe olive oil or honey to try and save it from the bin.

I'm not hating this, but I hope I can find a better scrub product as there's just nothing about it to truly love. It has an inoffensive scent and is generally inoffensive. The salt is in a nice creamy, if thick, base. I use it out of the shower on dry skin, then shower off. I find if I use it in the shower it seems to wash away before it does anything. It's not very rough, which is kind of good as it still seems to exfoliate. It's pricey and the packaging is just annoying.

Hair: Other, Straight, Other

I cannot get enough of the smell of this product! It doesn't seem like anything special in the jar, but after I shower with it I can smell this amazing really fresh/clean and not overpowering scent for hours...really like it! Yet, if you want to use it for practical purposes if may not blow you away...it is a decent scrub, but nothing intense or really special. The packaging (as others have noted) is ridiculous, while pretty, it is a huge pain to have to wrestle with the metal snap top while in the shower and it will eventual get shabby looking. The price is around $28 Canadian dollars, but you get 13.5oz...so not insanely expensive, but expensive enough.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I agree with the previous MUA'er in that this body scrub is by no means a heavy duty exfoliant. That being said, because of the moisturizing shea butter, it does leave my skin feeling baby soft, so much so I do not need to apply a separate body moisturizer. This body scrub comes in a thick glass tub, while aesthetically pleasing, it isn't practical for using in the tub. The consistency of the scrub is thick and can be a bit messy during application. I find that applying this on my slightly wet body does the trick, without the shower running gives me the chance to apply/scrub it all over without it melting on me. I'm not too fond of the scent which is somewhat a cross between musky and floral, something I find gender neutral but not really my cup of tea. I bought this as one of the items during the 3 for $30 sale last year. Granted, it does come with a lot of product; however, I wouldn't pay full price for this scrub ($28). It is gentle and I would recommend this to anyone who dislike harsh scrubs but want the softening benefits.

Top Rated The Body Shop Products