Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (All brands)

4.5

Cocos nucifera

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I use Organic Medium-Refined Coconut Oil from Target. I mix a little of this in with my Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Leave-In Conditioning Cream to tame fly aways while adding extra shine & protein to my color treated a-line bob. Using excess will leave my hair greasy but applying sparingly all over works. I then mix a little bit in with my Honest Company Face+Body Lotion to soothe all over in this harsh Alaska Winter we're experiencing. It soaks in really nice and doesn't stain my clothes or leave my face feeling greasy nor does it give me any acne. It also feels great after using my Clinique Acne Treatment which can be very drying. This brand and these methods of use for coconut oil work wonders for me and I have no desire to change my brand of oil despite people claiming that Organic, Un-Refined and Cold-Pressed is better. I'm still using an all natural product & will most definitely repurchase when my huge jar runs out!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I've only used it once, last night, and washed it off this morning.
I used it as an overnight mask treatment on my hair. I applied it on midshaft to the ends of my hair and the remaining on my scalp as my scalp is oily. My hair drinks it up. I have chemically dyed hair since I was 14 and had been permed etc, so it's very dry and prone to split ends. I shampooed twice today and it makes my hair soooo soft. I had loads of hair falls though, hence 3 stars. I added a tiny amount on damp hair after washing it. A little goes a long way with this one. It can make your hair greasy, so I applied on the ends.

I dabbed a tiny tiny amount on my forehead and massaged it til it sank in after ACV toner and over my regular moisturizer to help soften tiny fine lines. I'm being very cautious and I'm acne prone/clog prone and this is said to be comedogenic. So far in 2 days, no breakouts but I will update. It's great as a body moisturizer though!! It sinks in quite quickly, not greasy, and not perfumey.

UPDATE 10/12/15: OKAY!!! Now I figure out how to use on hair. Never again on my face thank you (cystic acne after a few weeks and I'm still recovering from it). It tastes good as a lip balm though :P
When I used it as deep conditioning and left it overnight, I think it was too heavy for my hair. I didn't see it helpful after I washed it off with shampoo. Made my hair soft until I shampooed, didn't notice much difference in split ends. I only did this 2-3 times. Now, I use it AFTER I washed and conditioned my hair (on a damped towelled dried hair) and put it on the midshaft to the ends of my hair, concentrating on the ends. I use less than a teaspoon, my hair is waist length. Any more than that, it will become greasy. I don't use it on scalp or near the roots of my hair, not going for a greasy look here because I use it as a leave in conditioner. I found it best paired with ACV rinse (50 ACV:50 water) and sweet almond oil to add shine. I found coconut oil is greasier on the hair. My hair is crazy soft and got shine on it. Yes, it's been chemically dyed and chemically straightened since I was in grade 5. Now I'm 25 years old. After much abuse, my hair ends suffered a lot. I don't straighten it anymore, kinda like it a bit wavy now which is my natural hair but I still have it coloured. But now, >95% no split ends!!! :D

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

As I've gotten older, my skin has gone off the deep end. Acne, rosacea, eczema - I have them all. From what i can tell, it's hormonal (menopause). At first I thought there was no way i was going to out oil on my face! It just runs counter-productive to what I've always done. But i had nothing g to lose. I rub it into my face and then buff it in gently with a towel. My face then feels soft and not oily! I use it as a body lotion as well as for my face, and it makes my eyebrows and eye lashes softer too. I use it on cuts and burns because it has anti-bacterial properties, and i even use it for oil to pop my popcorn in. It has so many practical uses, but most importantly, it doesn't have anything in it that isn't found in nature!

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

Okay I'm only in about 3 days into using this stuff - and so far, I like it! I have very fine, long, highlighted hair that gets insanely dry and tangly. I did a hair mask (30 minutes) and then showered - my hair looked so incredibly stringy the morning after but I showered that night with a clarifying shampoo and then added a tiny bit (literally less than the size of an M&M) and lightly coated my ends with it - I slept on a satin pillowcase and wallah - my hair is pretty darn soft. I used this as an eye makeup remover and my Kat Von D tattoo liner came off instantly (take that, high end removers) and I used this as a full face makeup remover, and my long-wearing matte foundation/concealer/blush just slid right off of my face. I'm naturally very oily so I was cringing as I was rubbing oil into my face, but in the shower I took a washcloth with a bit of Trader Joe's tea tree oil face wash and wiped the excess oil away. My skin feels so soft and I only have had two pimples come to the surface. I moisturize my face with this post shower and then use a brown paper napkin to absorb the excess and in the morning my skin has a subtle glow to it. I have hormonal problems so I still get acne on my chin and cheeks with a lot of redness/hyperpigmentation - I use this before I use Tazorac cream to help offset the dryness of it and it really helps sooth my skin. I bought a glass jar from Trader Joe's for $5.99 and it smells like the Honey Bunches of Oats cereal (not kidding) I will have to give this a few more tries to make sure my acne prone skin doesn't get cysts. I haven't ventured into using this on my arms/legs/chest but I will update when I do! So far, so good!

Edit: Day 5 - I slather my face in this to remove makeup and washcloth off the excess in the shower with face wash and then I add the SMALLEST amount to my face post shower. I can't even quantify the amount because its so small, but if I can make a puddle/drop out of the oil, then it's way too much. I've noticed the redness on my cheeks/chin/whole face has decreased and my skin is SOOOO smooth and calm. I blot off the excess and my skin is finally calming down

Edit #2: Unfortunately this is starting to break me out on my chin (normal problem areas) and my forehead, although I haven't had a breakout here since middle school. May stop using for a few days to see if my skin bounces back.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Other, Wavy, Other

The main thing I use coconut oil for is my hair. It works well if you apply a few drops onto damp hair right after washing; my favorite way to use it is applying it to dry hair overnight before a wash. It makes my hair smooth and soft. I also like this as a moisturizer for my dry hands and feet. Great, natural product. I will definitely continue to use.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Great !!!! The best quality in the market :)

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

i love this product especially after all day standing on my feet . just rub it on my feet and my feet don't feel so tired. i put in my hair . on my legs ,i eat a spoonful , put it on my dogs hair . its wonderful.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Let me be the first person to say I was skeptical about putting oil on my face. After dealing with Argan oil's toll on my skin, years ago, i swore I wouldn't be swayed by oil again. Well, I gave in. I noticed that the moisturizer I had been using was doing nothing good for my skin and making it break out terribly, my roommate had been raving about CO, and she had a jar or it in the kitchen. So, I used it for a week as a moisturizer to make sure it was going to be okay, and omg, I will never use anything ever again. This has truly saved my skin. I only break out around shark week (period) any more. My makeup just glides on and the CO moisturizes lightly, so that it doesn't break makeup down, like a lot of moisturizers that can be far too heavy on the skin. the redness in my face has greatly reduced, and my undereye area looks less tired. I also use it to remove my makeup and nothing has worked better than this!!!!!! I need to buy something to put it in that isn't a huge jar to lug around, but wow, I am so impressed with CO. HG!!!!

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

A beauty essential.
I've been using it in the following ways:

Hair: I use coconut in my hair as a treatment (applied to damp hair after a shower), as well as after blow drying my hair (particularly after it's been washed. The former method gives me long term benefits regarding my unruly, frizzy curls, making me hair shinier and more healthy looking, where as the latter method tames frizziness and gives my blow waved hair a more natural look.

Hands: Slightly warmed in the hands, coconut oil is quickly absorbed. I don't think it's particularly "deeply penetrating", but I love how it takes the edge off dry and chapped areas of my hands, and it doesn't require much extra thought as using the surplus oil after applying it to my hair is often enough.

Face: I recently spent quite a bit of money on a moisturiser which caused me to aggressively react (I'm talking about angry cystic acne), and needed a moisturiser to tide me over until I buy my next one. Seeing how quickly the oil was absorbed into my hands and having experience with facial oils in the past I tried it on my face, and am so grateful I did. Before being absorbed, coconut oil maintains its oiliness which allows you to spread it on your skin which friction, after which it is easily absorbed. My acne soon calmed down and I believe my complexion to have improved, but am weary about the way it seems to exacerbate the appearance of my pores, and probably won't use this continuously as a twice daily moisturiser.

A little goes a long way, and for its benefits this is a bargain!

Organic Unrefined Coconut Oil is absolute necessity. My hair has grown so much since using this stuff years ago. It repaired my damage from sun, heat + crappy hair products. I use it by itself as a hair mask, massaging the warmed up oil for about 15 minutes (setting container or bowl of oil in sink filled with hot water to heat it up), sometimes I will leave it on for 20 minutes, other times I lay out a towel over my pillow + go to bed with it. If you add a mixture of water, coconut oil + sea salt this makes an amazing bomb sea salt texturizing spray. This healed my parched, damaged skin too, face + body. I passed on my coconut oil obsession to ALL my family. Obviously, they noticed a difference too. I will forever be using this oil.

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products