October 23, 2014 | 1316 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/25/2014 10:52:00 PM More reviews by yjanney

I use the Trader Joe's brand. I've used coconut oil for 2 purposes so far:

Hair Mask - combine equal parts coconut oil and jojoba oil and apply to dry hair. Wrap in a towel or cover with shower cap and let sit at least 30 minutes, then wash and condition as usual. This was really messy, but it made my hair super soft and shiny. However, it did make my hair a touch greasy for the first day. Easy and fairly inexpensive.

Body Moisturizer - combine about 4 T. coconut oil and about 1/2 teaspoon grapefruit essential oil and store in a flip-top bottle. This stays in liquid form for me if I keep it in the bathroom. It's not only moisturizing, but the grapefruit EO is supposed to be beneficial in detoxing the body. I like to dry brush, shower, and then apply this moisturizer while still damp. Leaves my skin soft and smooth. Again, easy and fairly inexpensive.

Have not begun to cook with this yet, nor have I had the courage to try oil pulling or the oil cleansing method, but they're all things I'm curious about.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/19/2014 3:39:00 PM More reviews by MakeupManiac5699

I use the NOW brand, I believe. I had a stubborn and scaly dry patch on the skin below my jawline from an allergic reaction to a face cream. Nothing seemed to be able to fix it, until my father recommended coconut oil. It took only a weak to heal the noticeably red patch and it gave me soft, smooth skin in the process. I now use this as a spot treatment for dry skin at night and to condition my eyelashes (I can already see significant growth, by the way!). All around amazing product.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/16/2014 2:37:00 PM More reviews by glamguru

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I am a convert to the coconut oil craze! I lightly apply a layer of it to my face and body immediately after the shower and sometimes at night before I go to sleep. My skin has never been softer and I don't break out at all. I have tried the oil pulling, teeth whitener thing and it worked as well. So far I have been using the Nutiva brand.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/13/2014 1:14:00 PM More reviews by flappergirl35

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love coconut oil. I've been using it in my cooking, and really enjoy the flavor and health benefits. I especially love what it did for my fine, damaged, color-treated shoulder-length hair.

Last night, I put it on the ends of my hair, wrapped it in a bun and left it on for an hour. I put it in as a solid, but it immediately melted into my hair, and quickly absorbed in. I avoided my scalp area, because I usually have an oily scalp. After the hour was up, I shampooed and conditioned my hair as usual, blow-dried and added a touch of Argan Oil spray by Organix.

My hair was left feeling soft, shiny and I even had beachy waves in it! I woke up this morning, and my hair was beautifully shiny, not dry, brittle and straw-like. It certainly didn't feel greasy at all.

After trying a number of different hair masks, I've discovered, thanks to MUA, that coconut oil is very beneficial to the hair. I will continue to use once per week, to maintain the softness and shine.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/6/2014 9:27:00 PM More reviews by shutterbug07

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

In order to prevent dry and split ends, I apply virgin coconut oil to the ends of my hair before washing my normal conditioner out in the shower. I haven't yet figured out the best way to store it, as it is quite cool and solidified in the bottle, but may mix it with some other oils in the future and that might help.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/23/2014 1:46:00 PM More reviews by biojenni

raw organic extra virgin coconut oil is the best for my hair. My hair was so dry,heat and chemical damged with split ends,first I cuted my ends and started to use once a week the cocnut oil and now my hair is so healthy, i must say that stopped using heat and dying my hair so that helped a lot too. Also i eat 2 tablespoon of cocnut oil in the morning and helped me with digestion.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/18/2014 10:37:00 PM More reviews by troo12

Cellulite-Be-Gone!!!! I may be in y early twenties, but that stuff creeps up. After a shower, I rub some of this into the back of my thighs. It's amazing how quickly it plumped up my skin!!!! I tried using it in my hair and it was horrible... I couldn't get it out even with tons of shampoo.

4 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2014 11:26:00 PM More reviews by type_a_tiff

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I am really picky when it comes to HG products, but I can definitely say that coconut oil is a HG for me.

Possibly, my only HG to date.

If you can get past the weirdness of buying a beauty product from the food aisle, I highly recommend it.

Coconut oil gave me whiter teeth (oil pulling), made my skin crazy soft (moisturizer) and helped calm my dry, dandruffy scalp. I haven't used it as a hair mask, but I've heard good things. It's also helpful in soothing dry cuticles and taking off makeup (yes, even my eyeliner). I even do OCM with it and it leaves my skin calm and balanced. On some days, it even leaves my skin moisturized enough I don't need to put cream on top.

If you live in a cold/Arctic climate, I totally get why coconut oil would be a turnoff. Once coconut oil solidifies it can be difficult to get out of the jar. I've had coconut oil solidify so hard to the point it felt like my spoon was chiseling through ice. (But this was when my flat was below freezing and had no central heating to speak of.)

But if you live in all other climates, it's amazing.

I love its utility and, most of all, its value. I walked out of my grocery store paying $15CDN for 865mL. I can't even walk into Sephora or a drugstore and purchase something of that price that I'm 100% happy with. Let alone in that quantity and that does so much for me.

Plus, I get to smell like coconuts. Who doesn't want to smell like coconuts?

8 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/9/2014 9:50:00 PM More reviews by sprite26

I have been using coconut oil for two years (I read about it on MUA!) and I have gone through so many jars of it that I've lost count. Here's what I use it for:

Facial cleansing. Just massage a small amount all over for a minute or two. Rinse and then follow with a foaming cleanser. Truly gets my face super-clean.

Hair protection. I coat my hair with this before I go swimming, and I don't have any problems with the chlorine damaging my hair. It does tend to strip my color a bit, but I can live with that.

Tanning oil. Coconut oil gives me the most even, glowy tan in the summertime. Best tanning product I have ever used.

Some people use it as a pre-shampoo treatment, but it never did anything for me that way. There are lots of different uses for it, and what works for one person may not work for you so you have to experiment a bit. You can even eat it. Throw a spoonful into your smoothie and it will taste so rich and yummy (plus you'll get loads of nutritional benefits too.)
Lots of things have already been said about coconut oil, I just wanted to throw my two cents in. This is a staple item for me, will continue to repurchase.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/9/2014 2:20:00 AM More reviews by urstandingonmytoes

Coconut oil is a product that you will either love or hate. I love it, it works great as a weekly deep conditioner for my hair. I have silver hair, so I melt it and mix this oil with my purple shampoo and leave it on for a few hours to help tone my hair. I also use it to remove my eye makeup. I don't use it on my face, because my skin just doesn't like anything oily on it..and that include jojoba oil, so it's not just this. I also use this to cook, but it does have a distinctive taste, so you if you don't like the taste of coconut, then you won't like the taste of this. I tried oil pulling with it, and that just was too much for me, made me gag lol I would absolutely buy it again, but it will be a little while...a little goes a longggg way.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No