Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (All brands)

4.5

Cocos nucifera

on 3/19/2015 5:03:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I don't really like using oils on my skin I especially do not like using coconut oil on my skin not because it's bad oh no no I just don't like that coconut smell. I do use it for hair it is so wonderful as a hair product instant shine so good. I also use it on my lips to wipe off super pigmented lipsticks I do not use this on my face I don't think that's a good idea if you've got an oily tzone.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

This is the best stuff for sunburns. I need another bottle for this summer. It's so soothing when it's cold on hot skin, and it's awesome for shaving legs too. It's also awesome as a deep conditioning hair treatment. I don't think it really helps hair to grow, but maybe it does help with extreme damage from chemicals.. I think everyone should have a bottle of this.
I also use it as an eye make-up remover. I don't think it's a good overall face cleanser though at least not for acne prone/ sensitive crazy skin like I have.

on 3/6/2015 4:15:00 AM

Coconut oil is one of my absolute favorite beauty products. I think you can use it for literally almost everythingx it's such a magic product I love it especially for my hair and as makeup remover

on 2/27/2015 9:30:00 PM

I love coconut oil. It has so many different ways to be incorporated in your daily life, and it is cheaper than a lot of beauty products out there.

I did not like using it on my face as a moisturiser, nor as a face wash. Both times it broke me out horribly, and my skin got 10x more congested than it was. However, I knew a girl who swore by coconut oil as a facial moisturiser. She had dry, flaky skin so it may work better for those with skin similar to hers.

I have also used it as a body scrub, mixing it with some honey and sugar. I prefer my scrubs using olive oil if my skin is in dire need of moisture. For the summer, or when my skin isn't very dry, I will use the coconut-sugar scrub. I just mix a bit of each until I get the consistency I like.

I also make a body butter using coconut oil, olive oil, and shea butter. It makes my skin feel amazing. Very conditioning and soothing for dry skin. I believe you can still get great results using just coconut oil on its own for your skin. I use it on my lips before bed every night.

I have tried coconut oil on its own for my hair. It is very moisturising, and leaves hair so soft and silky. I especially loved using it as a pre-poo when using shampoos with sulphates, so my hair isn't left completely stripped. Now I use it in a blend with my other oils and prefer to use it that way. My hair is soft, healthy, and in much better condition than it was prior to doing hot oil treatments.

I used to do oil pulling with coconut oil every morning for twenty minutes. It made my gums feel and look much healthier, my teeth shiny and bright, and my mouth really healthy overall. I used to suffer from gingivitis (yes I visit the dentist regularly, brush twice a day, and floss), and oil pulling has helped significantly. I haven't done it lately, just because I didn't have the extra twenty minutes each morning to do it. I will be getting back into this soon. I'm not sure if all the other health claims of oil pulling are true, since I don't suffer from serious health problems.

I also use coconut oil for cooking sometimes. It gives food a hint of coconut, in smell and taste. It supposedly helps to burn fat (strange, but look it up), and has several health benefits.

There are so many other uses for coconut oil, that I can go on and on about it. Look up some other uses, or think of some on your own. I definitely recommend trying it out, you should find at least one thing you like to use it for! :)

on 2/23/2015 5:51:00 PM

Alright so I have mixed opinions on coconut oil.
I first started using coconut oil as a weekly hair mask, with a few drops of peppermint oil to stimulate hair growth, and it works very well. It makes my hair smooth, and I can tell my hair has grown more than usual and is a lot healthier.
However, I read lots of reviews saying that coconut oil is an amazing face cleanser, and I have to disagree. The first time I used it- I loved it. My skin was super smooth, glowing, and looked awesome. But the next day, I noticed some bumps appearing on my face. I thought, "No way- a product that made my skin feel that good is breaking me out? Meh." So I thought I'd continue using it for another week or two to see if it was just hormonal acne or what not. I applied it to my lips one night and woke up with a HUGE pimple on the side of my lip... and some days when I cleansed with it at night, I woke up with breakouts that hurt so badly, which I've never experienced before.
So my verdict: great for the hair, not so good on my acne prone skin.
Coconut oil is a 4 on the Comedogenic Ratings (meaning it's very high in causing acne and clogging pores, 5 being the highest rating).

on 2/16/2015 9:22:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I only use coconut oil for oil pulling and oil facial cleansing straight from the jar without mixing with other oils, feels great and works well. I would also massage coconut oil on my body topically after shower, it does keep the skin very silky soft all day long.

It might be also great to work as a facial moisturizer for non acne-prone skin, its very light-weighted and contains some UV protection, but for myself, I have better alternatives, my all time HGs: Decleor Aromessence line (oil serum + balm), 100% natural, and Dr. Hauschka's Rose Day Cream, these seem to give me better protection because they contain bee wax and other ingredients.

People, do note that coconut oils aren't all created equal, some are extracted from dry, old coconut meat transported from the plantations to factory, some are extracted from freshly harvested right at the plantations, it may affect the result. Learn about different types and read the labels carefully before your purchase. For more information, please check: http://coconut-oil-tips.com/facts/what-is-best-coconut-oil-brand-to-buy/

on 2/12/2015 9:52:00 PM

Love this product!!! But it's a bit of a hassle scooping/pouring out the oil... I use it for oil pulling, as a face moisturiser and body oil. I take a spoonful in the morning when I find my skin dehydrated.. a wonderful oil with many benefits. And yes.. the smell is heavenly. Try it.. I believe your skin and body will thank you if you aren't sensitive to coconut oil.

on 2/6/2015 12:59:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Oh how I love my coconut oil. And here are some awesome things to use if for, if you don't already:
- Make-up remover.
- Shaving oil.
- Eye cream/eyelash/eyebrow conditioner (apply with a very light hand!)
- Deep conditioning hair mask (apply to towel dried hair, wrap, and leave on for up to a couple of hours. Rinse well).
- Add a tablespoon to your bath water for soft, moisturized skin.
- Apply to cracked elbows and heels.
- Tames flyway hairs.
- Add some course salt or sugar and you have yourself a very effective face/body scrub!
- Mix with a teaspoon of honey, heat until it is warm (not scalding) and you have a moisturizing face mask!

on 2/6/2015 9:30:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Looove this stuff. I use waterproof mascara which is a pain in the ass to remove. Ive tried all the makeup removers out there, and nothing got the job done without pulling, tugging and losing eyelashes. Then i deciced to try this.. Holy moly. Removed EVERYTHING, so gently and easy! I rub it between my hands, then rub it all over my face and eyes, then use a makeup wipe to get everything off. And so affordable too!

on 1/27/2015 11:05:00 AM

I will forever and always love extra virgin coconut oil. It is such a versatile product. Not only is it healthy internally, but also has many benefits externally. I mainly use this for my hair and skin. I put this on my hair twice a week before bed and then put my hair up in a bun and sleep with it overnight. In the morning I use my regular shampoo to wash it out and also use my conditioner, even though I could probably skip conditioner on the days I use this, but I still use it anyway (slightly conditioner obsessed). This keeps my hair in excellent condition. It is one of the few oils that can penetrate the hair shaft to nourish it completely.

I also use this to remove my eye makeup at night. The eye area is very delicate, so I find it important to use natural moisturizing products and not anything chemical based. After I remove the eye makeup I put a little extra around my eye area and keep it on overnight just to nourish that area and keep it youthful. I also put a little on my neck, lips, legs and hips before bed. This helps to keep my skin super healthy and moisturized. I love how it is all natural, nourishing, anti-aging and extremely affordable because this stuff lasts forever! For my facial skin, I recently purchased Rosehip Oil because coconut oil on my face was too thick and seemed to clog pores. I will write a review on the Rosehip Oil once I've used it for a while. However, for practically everything else coconut oil is my go-to!

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products