Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (All brands)

Cocos nucifera

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

use as hair mask for my bleached dry hair

on 6/16/2015 3:50:00 PM

I love using coconut oil as a moisturizer after i exfoliate! just warm up a little bit in your hands and thats all you need.

Makes your skin glow, especially in the summer!

I also love putting this on my nails and cuticles, my nails have gotten so much brighter and stronger.

on 6/6/2015 1:22:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Neutral

At first i felt gross putting it on my skin but it ended up working... never wasting my money on another moisturizer again. I use this on my face. I also have oily skin.. it did not make it more oily.. in fact i think it helps control oil in some way.. also i am acne prone it didnt break me out. Really helped with my dry forehead and my always irritated cheeks are improving. I honestly did not think it was gonna do anything.

Haven't tried this on my hair yet, but love love love it on my face! Some people seem to hate it on their faces, but it works great for me. I started using it under my eyes originally, because I read that the components in coconut oil actually help eliminate wrinkles. i then ended up spreading it to the rest of my face. My complexion has evened out drastically, no more red patches. I don't have acne prone skin though, this might not be good for people with acne. At least that's what I've gained from reading the negative reviews. Anway, when I use this I am comftorable going makeup less to work, as my face looks and feels refreshed. It also makes my lips softer as well. Overall great product, I get mine from Trader Joes.

on 5/24/2015 10:30:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

I had to jump on the coconut oil bandwagon because it's so multipurpose and I'm also a fan of using oils in beauty. I'm rating it 4 overall because it is very effective at some things but not without issue.

First up, I have dry skin on face and body, and mostly dry to damaged hair. I'm not particularly prone to cystic acne anymore after winning a decade long battle with it, but still get the occasional hormonal bumps, frequent closed comedones usually caused by external factors, and I have large pores particularly in my T zone . I'm not sensitive apart from the eye area.

Very important to note: yes, coconut oil can break you out as it has a comodogenic rating of 4. It's not guaranteed to do so even if you have acne prone skin, nor will you be surely safe if you have dry or hardy skin. As with all products, PATCH TEST!!!

FACE: I've tried this as a make up remover, cleanser and moisturiser. It doesn't absorb quickly but does leave skin very soft. For this reason it's great to spray on a little at night over usual moisture and it acts as a sleeping mask.

It's not a strong cleanser but good for an oil massage then remove with another gentle or foaming cleanser. It take a lot of work to rinse clean with water alone. While it is gentle on the eyes I prefer to just soak a cotton pad and leave on my eye for a minute to remove make up and not have to scrub at all. It does loosen mascara and shadow but a bit of scrubbing is required and also a cleanse after to remove the oil film. I haven't noticed any growth in my lashes or brows but they seem a bit healthier and less brittle.

This doesn't outperform my usual daily cleanser or moisturiser, but I take some when I travel (1 week each month) because it saves space being so multifunctional, and best of all in my opinion: is a skin saver on long flights. I spritz some on as a moisturiser before boarding and it stops my skin dehydrating even on a long haul. Likewise I apply it immediately after getting out of the swimming pool or steam room at the gym, because my skin literally falls off after those 2. I leave it on for between 10 minutes to an hour then wash it off in the shower with a gentle cleanser like Cetaphil. These 2 reasons alone are why I need this product in my life. It stops my skin from drying out and flaking off when I subject it to harsh conditions. Instead of leathery, painful skin it becomes buttery soft and plump.

LIPS: closed comedone alert for me. I don't think this was a better treatment than other oils, paw paw ointment, fresh sugar balms, or even plain old vaseline. Worth a shot but wasn't as impressed with this function.

BODY: brilliant. My only complaint is if I use too much it takes forever to sink in. It performs well as a shaving oil and moisturiser. So soothing post shave. I used it recently on sunburn as I didn't have my trusty Aloe vera plant on hand, and while it didn't heal as well as fresh Aloe gel, it definitely soothed and hydrated the skin to prevent it going to red and peeling so now I have a very small but dark tan on my back.

HAIR: like everyone has said - go for it. I used argan oil as treatments and this is way better; it doesn't weigh down my healthy roots and it's absorbs into my crispy, damaged ends and makes them soft and shiny. You can spray a bit on after conditioner and before drying but less is more. My favourite treatment is to massage about 60ml (2 ounces?) all over my long hair, let it sit for half hour or as long as I can, then follow with shampoo and conditioner. No other leave it treatments or oils required.

Sorry this is so long, I've tried to be thorough and honest about my experience...

IN SUMMARY: I've found coconut oil to usually perform better and have less negative effects if I leave it on for a bit then wash off. When I just leave it on it makes my skin greasy which rules out makeup, and I get closed comedones around my lips. Jojoba oil does this to me too and only has a comodogenic rating of 2, so each to their own with oils. Ironically I use an oil blend to massage and cleanse my face to remove closed comedones! Just experiment with different oils and blends to what's going to work well as a cleanser or moisturiser for you. But for me, cold pressed Virgin coconut oil moisturises, plumps and softens better than any other oil I've tried. I've tried a lot, with the previous favourite all rounders being almond oil and pricey argan oil. I was not keen to try it because it can be volatile according to all the reviews, but I'm glad I did as all of the benefits for my skin and circumstances outweigh a bit of initial greasiness and a few closed comedones which are easy fixed. I respect that people have different experiences and am thankful for all of the detailed and thoughtful reviews which gave me ideas on what to watch for and creative ways to use it.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I'm a big fan of coconut oil (virgin, unrefined, no brand preference). As a little background, I'm not especially concerned about the whole natural vs. artificial debate there are plenty of "natural" ingredients that can actually be harmful from a skincare standpoint and vice versa. I like it because it stands up well along side of a lot of other products I've tried, and smells fantastic (to me!) and is dirt cheap, all things considered.

That said, I do understand that it can majorly comodogenic for folks with more sensitive/susceptible skin types (having large pores/oily skin is apparently one indicator *) and I would definitely be very wary if I fell into that camp. As I don't, I have the luxury (for which I am very grateful) of being able to experiment with a variety skincare products/oils/treatments without needing to be concerned about breakout issues. [* I read somewhere, but cannot attest to this personally, that using an exfoliant prior to applying coconut oil may prevent breakout issues for those who are prone to them. Again, I cannot personally vouch for this, but am putting it here in case it's helpful to someone else.] [Also, my positive experience with coconut oil doesn't invalidate anyone elses' opposite experiences and I've thumbed up reviews that are completely contrary to mine that I nevertheless found quite thoughtful and useful :)]

On the oil front, I've tried a lot of different oils on my face including argan oil, rosehip oil, olive oil, jojoba oil, almond oil, kukui nut oil, etc. (I'm sure I'm forgetting some). I love the concept of face oils, but I usually end up being a little disappointed for one reason or another by most of the ones I've tried. Coconut oil is the only one that's become somewhat of a mainstay in my regimen.

A little bit truly goes a very long way, but once absorbed, I feel like it gives my skin a softer, more velvety texture than all of the other oils I've tried, and it truly feels more *moisturized* than oiled (a textural difference that is important to me). I also feel like it does a superior job to other oils of minimizing/plumping out the very few fine lines around my mouth/eye region, and is hopefully keeping any further deepening at bay, even if it's not necessarily turning back the clock.

I've experimented with it as a face treatment quite a bit, and I've found that layering it on top of my favorite moisturizers makes for a fantastic nighttime mask akin to some of the much more expensive nighttime leave-on masks I've tried before (and loved, but didn't purchase because my favorite one of all was $90+!!!). I also use it as a physical exfoliant with sugar (prolly not the best thing for my face skin from what I've read so not necessarily recommending it, but I'm the kind of person that sometimes throws caution to the wind and does what feels good to me, dangnabbit!)

I've also tried it on my hair, but was a little bit less successful. It could be that it just weighs down my hair too much (while I have a lot of strands, they're typically very thin, dry and limp my hair is much fussier than my skin, frankly). I will continue my hair experiments because I do feel like it was quite moisturizing (albeit greasy); just haven't found the right way to incorporate into my haircare regimen yet (or it just may not have a role to play there).

on 4/10/2015 4:19:00 PM

This stuff has a million uses. I put it on my dog when she has dry/patchy fur. It healed her ears when they cracked from our cold temperatures.

It tastes great...

This cheap, easy-to-find product has changed my hair. Once or twice a week, I will take a good amount and heat it (small bowl in a sink full of hot water) and then absolutely lather my hair up in it. Scalp to ends, I massage it in and then let it sit in my hair for at least a half hour.

Then just wash it out with your normal shampoo (I usually wash twice) and then follow with your normal conditioner.

Your hair will love you forever. In one treatment, mine went from crunchy-dry to so soft I couldn't stop touching it. I have tried countless EXPENSIVE products and nothing has done what simple coconut oil has done.

on 3/24/2015 3:16:00 PM

I can say for a fact that I absolutely love and loathe this stuff. As far as food goes, I like cooking with it. It's really good for you. It was really nice for my hair, too.
For for my face, this crap was horrible. I stupidly listened to so many people online who ranted and raved about how they use coconut oil as a facial moisturizer and it 'cured' all of their problems. So I jumped on the bandwagon and every night, I carefully applied to the oil to my face after washing it.

Spoiler alert: it did not cure my acne, improve my complexion, or get rid of any blackheads.

In actuality, it made my face and acne 10x worse, and I stuck with this stuff every night for about three or four months. I kept listening to the random stupid bloggers who talk about a 'purging period'. Plot twist: it doesn't really exist. If something is breaking you out, it's going to keep happening. It's not going to magically improve just because. And if I had all these toxins lurking deep within my skin that oil 'pulls out' or whatever, why have I never noticed them before? Why wouldn't they have emerged to wreak havoc on my face prior to the coconut oil? Oh right, that's because they don't exist and the coconut oil is actually breaking me out.

I am so wary when it comes to people and alternative medicine and whatnot. Shudder.

*And for references, I used organic, expeller-pressed, unrefined virgin coconut oil. Maybe I should have used cold-pressed, I dunno. Either way, I've used other oils on my face, and it just doesn't agree with my skin.

on 3/19/2015 5:03:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I don't really like using oils on my skin I especially do not like using coconut oil on my skin not because it's bad oh no no I just don't like that coconut smell. I do use it for hair it is so wonderful as a hair product instant shine so good. I also use it on my lips to wipe off super pigmented lipsticks I do not use this on my face I don't think that's a good idea if you've got an oily tzone.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

This is the best stuff for sunburns. I need another bottle for this summer. It's so soothing when it's cold on hot skin, and it's awesome for shaving legs too. It's also awesome as a deep conditioning hair treatment. I don't think it really helps hair to grow, but maybe it does help with extreme damage from chemicals.. I think everyone should have a bottle of this.
I also use it as an eye make-up remover. I don't think it's a good overall face cleanser though at least not for acne prone/ sensitive crazy skin like I have.

Popular Lotions / Creams