July 31, 2014 | 1392 users online

Hair - DevaCurl - No Poo

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/24/2013 12:20:00 AM More reviews by TheShe

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have 3A - 3B curly hair that is not too dry. I almost always blow-dry my hair straight, so it is probably heat damaged but it looks fine. I went to Hawaii last year and air-dried my hair (too hot to blow dry), and to my great surprise, my curls actually looked pretty good. At home when I air-dried, my curls wouldn't form and I just had a giant frizzy brillo pad on my head, so I never wore it curly. But with all the humidity in Hawaii, my hair had enough moisture to curl up and look good! So, when I got home I started looking into how to moisturize my hair. I read about the CG method and tried it (with Suave Naturals co-wash), but it wasn't working very well - my hair felt greasy and I couldn't get past it. Plus when I tried to straighten it, it looked terrible (lank and stringy).
Then I heard about Devacurl from the naturallycurly site, and had my hairdresser friend buy me some at wholesale price. I tried it and I've never looked back. I really love it.
First, it gets my hair CLEAN. It actually lathers up into bubbles for me. The trick is you have to use a lot, and really work it in with your fingers, AND there has to be enough water mixed with it. It leaves me with hair that is literally squeaky clean. This is important for me because while my hair needs to be moisturized to look good curly, it's also pretty fine, so it gets weighed down if it doesn't start out really clean, and when it's weighed down it won't curl up well.
Second, the difference with my curls is NIGHT AND DAY. I can't stress enough that my natural texture was a frizzy mess with NO curl definition, before No-Poo. Now that I've been using it for about a year, my curls are really gorgeous, shiny, soft (not crispy), defined ringlets. I'm getting married this summer and I plan to wear my hair curly, and that is not something I would have ever even IMAGINED doing before. That's how good my hair looks after a year of No-poo.
Third and most surprisingly: my hair still looks amazing when I blow it out straight. Not only is it so much less dry-looking (I color process it with bleach), but if I straighten it and then it rains or is really humid outside, my hair just curls up and looks great, instead of turning into a gross frizzball.
There is one catch, though. You have to commit to eliminating ALL silicones from your hair's "diet". That most likely means you will have to use all new products and conditioner. If you continue to use products with silicones, YOU WILL GET BUILDUP, because the whole point of no-poo is that it doesn't contain drying sulfates, which are the only thing that can wash away silicones.
For conditioner, I use Deva One Condition. For products I use Devacurl B'Leave-in mixed with AnGel and a bit of their styling cream. It's just easier to use Deva stuff, since I know they won't have silicones in them and I don't have to spend forever squinting at tiny-type ingredient lists on other products.
The other, serious catch, is how expensive Devacurl products are at retail prices. I am really lucky that I can get them from my friend for 50% off. The retail prices are highway robbery - it's the only thing about this brand that I don't like. But, considering how much my hair has improved after using it, I would find a way to keep buying this stuff even if I didn't get the discount. Its worth it.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/1/2012 3:34:00 AM More reviews by beth247

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I really wanted to like No Poo, and maybe I would like it better if not for the godawful rose scent that makes me smell like an old lady. Honestly, even though I have moisture needing curly hair, I can't see myself using this as my main full-time cleanser, because eventually I'd be getting product build-up from the gel I use to tame the curls. I'd end up needing a clarifying shampoo once a week because it seems to be a cleansing conditioner. Maybe I'll try the DevaCare version sometime because to my nose, it smells much better than this the DevaCurl No Poo. Will not repurchase.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/21/2012 2:44:00 AM More reviews by Menolikepolos

I have long-ish hair that is cut in layers all the way down to about my bra hooks. It is not thin, not big, just normal volume with a wimpy 2b S-curl on the bottom, but 3b tight curls on top? yes, it air-drys really strange looking. So needless to say, in response I have chemically straightened my hair most of my life.

I did grow my hair out once, and try to wear my hair curly, or "naturally" and this led me to seek out such products.

I bought this as part of my first venture to DevaCurl or even "curly-hair specific" hair products. I was somewhat ok with it (ok, you get some moisture retention, but not much frizz reduction, but at least it didn't weight my curls down for the price of the moisture).

However, the shampoo is in my "toss" bin because it keeps breaking my back out! Not sure what's in this, but after just one wash, I will have 3-5 cystic acne bumps on my upper back.

If it had not broke me out, I would have rated this shampoo a "2" because I felt that over time, I needed to use a clarifying shampoo because it wasn't cleaning that much. Also, it didn't work for my overall hair look.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/3/2012 9:11:00 PM More reviews by kyl77

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This product is suppose to be for curly hair, but I find it works great on my straight, medium fine hair. It's a bit like Wen Cleansing Conditioner, in that it doesn't lather. This is a great product if you're trying to ween yourself off of shampoo. Smells good too!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/20/2012 6:46:00 PM More reviews by Ms_Bobbalina

I've been using this cleanser exclusively for years. It is not a shampoo per se, it's a cleanser and it doesn't lather because it doesn't have sodium laurel sulfate. If you use a ton of Deva style products, you definitely need it to get all the gunk off your hair. It's got a soft fragrance, and it doesn't leave your hair feeling squeaky. I now realize that with coarse, ultra dry, damaged hair that squeaky is bad. I buy the huge bottle with the pump, and use about 4 pumps for my hair (lots of it), so I go through it faster than I would a regular shampoo that only requires a quarter sized dab...meaning I have to buy it more often than I'd like, especially because of the price.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/27/2012 1:30:00 PM More reviews by MelissaMH

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Great product for my fine but plentiful Botticelli curls. I follow the DevaCurl routine to the letter: No Poo followed by One Condition, followed AnGel, each day. I rinse the conditioner out of my hair following the "baptismal" way, which is just splashing water over your head, leaving some conditioner behind. I also use B'Leave In before using AnGel for maximum moisture and hold.

I love the smell of No Poo, and it can get anything out of my hair without drying it out. I prefer this product to Low Poo, which was far too drying for my delicate curls. I also will sometimes follow up the basic routine with DevaCurl's Styling Creme for softer, looser curls. I always use two drops of Mirror Curls once my hair is dry for great shine and definition. What can I say, I'm a Curly Girl!

Remember, moisture, moisture, moisture is the key to great curls!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/15/2012 10:16:00 PM More reviews by catherinesophia

Ok, so here's the deal. If you are going to go the no-poo route, I would strongly suggest that you first start by using the Low-poo, and then move onto this one. I tried to use the no-poo about a year ago, and it was a disgusting disaster. I had really dry, curly, unmanageable hair about 3 months ago. I have been trying to grow my hair out for several years, and I have been advised by my hair stylist (now fired) that relaxing/keratin treatments would help me. Well, these procedures basically destroyed my hair. I did the big chop a month ago. Anyway, I wanted to know why my hair was breaking once it got to my ears, and I figured it out. I was flat ironing my hair (which destroys curls and also makes your hair a time bomb for breaking because it literally melts the hair at high temperatures), and using harsh sodium laurel sulfate shampoos daily. I started using the low-poo every other day, and then made the jump to no-poo a month later. After my oil production naturally went down, the low-poo was too drying for my hair. I can honestly say that I now love my hair. It is beautiful, healthy and rich and dark. I still have about two inches of bad ends, but the rest of it is beautiful. I have never loved my hair in my entire life. I felt like it was a constant battle between frizzy and stringy (because of the products I would put in it to make it not frizzy). Now, I use hardly any products (if I blow dry it, I use a volume boosting mousse) and I cleanse my hair every two days with no-poo. I love my hair now. It is in a short bob, and the natural oils make my hair look shiny and it is totally manageable. I have a mason pearson brush that I use in the morning and the night to clean any lint or dust out of my hair. The no-poo is magical stuff if you can get your sebum production to adjust. I promise that you will never ever go back to regular shampoos again if you use this for a few months. I have told all my my curly friends (guys too) about this stuff, because we all suffer from the same issues with curly hair.
If you have straight hair, you can basically do anything to it, and it wont break. Curly hair is very delicate, and we need the oil that our bodies produce to protect the hair strand from water, thermal and frictional damage. Without this oil, our hair has no hope of growing long. I have read a LOT of published cosmetic research, and I have concluded that anything that strips curly hair should be avoided. Anything that attempts to change the structure of the hair (relaxers and the hot flat irons) may make curly hair look good in the short term, but it will make it so weak that it will break off very easily; my brazilian blowout looked great for the first few months, and then half of my hair basically broke off. The Devacurl No-poo is rich and I feel works a lot better than using conditioner to wash my hair. I feel it nourishes my hair without weighing it down.
Making the transition takes time and patience, but trust me, it's worth it. I never thought I would say that I love my hair, but I do now. THANK YOU DEVACURL :)

PS- If you can make the transition, and your dye your hair, your hair dye will not fade if you use this shampoo. I use Wella Color Charm Demi, and I don't have to re-dye the ends when I do my new roots because my hair dye hasn't faded. I haven't dyed my ends in over 4 months- this means my ends are less damaged because they aren't repeatedly dyed; SCORE!

PSS- try a small sample and if you like it, you can buy a HUGE bottle on Amazon for a lot cheaper than at a salon. I buy the 32 oz bottles :)

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/19/2012 10:54:00 AM More reviews by evilgeminiangel

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I love this line. I have damaged long loose curly hair and this shampoo conditioner combo is the first ever I have found that u dont even have to use a comb to detangle and my hair is the curliest its ever been.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/19/2012 9:00:00 AM More reviews by DFcupcake

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This product combined with One Condition made my head itch. Really Bad. Really, really bad. Never again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/21/2011 7:44:00 PM More reviews by cerulfox

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

After using Dove for a while, I switched to this. Wow, it's made a difference! My hair looks much softer and healthier. I think it's the lack of sulfates that's doing it. Will definitely repurchase.