April 18, 2014 | 982 users online

Hair - DevaCurl - No Poo

rated 4 of 5 on 7/20/2012 6:46:00 PM More reviews by Ms_Bobbalina

I've been using this cleanser exclusively for years. It is not a shampoo per se, it's a cleanser and it doesn't lather because it doesn't have sodium laurel sulfate. If you use a ton of Deva style products, you definitely need it to get all the gunk off your hair. It's got a soft fragrance, and it doesn't leave your hair feeling squeaky. I now realize that with coarse, ultra dry, damaged hair that squeaky is bad. I buy the huge bottle with the pump, and use about 4 pumps for my hair (lots of it), so I go through it faster than I would a regular shampoo that only requires a quarter sized dab...meaning I have to buy it more often than I'd like, especially because of the price.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/27/2012 1:30:00 PM More reviews by MelissaMH

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Great product for my fine but plentiful Botticelli curls. I follow the DevaCurl routine to the letter: No Poo followed by One Condition, followed AnGel, each day. I rinse the conditioner out of my hair following the "baptismal" way, which is just splashing water over your head, leaving some conditioner behind. I also use B'Leave In before using AnGel for maximum moisture and hold.

I love the smell of No Poo, and it can get anything out of my hair without drying it out. I prefer this product to Low Poo, which was far too drying for my delicate curls. I also will sometimes follow up the basic routine with DevaCurl's Styling Creme for softer, looser curls. I always use two drops of Mirror Curls once my hair is dry for great shine and definition. What can I say, I'm a Curly Girl!

Remember, moisture, moisture, moisture is the key to great curls!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/15/2012 10:16:00 PM More reviews by catherinesophia

Ok, so here's the deal. If you are going to go the no-poo route, I would strongly suggest that you first start by using the Low-poo, and then move onto this one. I tried to use the no-poo about a year ago, and it was a disgusting disaster. I had really dry, curly, unmanageable hair about 3 months ago. I have been trying to grow my hair out for several years, and I have been advised by my hair stylist (now fired) that relaxing/keratin treatments would help me. Well, these procedures basically destroyed my hair. I did the big chop a month ago. Anyway, I wanted to know why my hair was breaking once it got to my ears, and I figured it out. I was flat ironing my hair (which destroys curls and also makes your hair a time bomb for breaking because it literally melts the hair at high temperatures), and using harsh sodium laurel sulfate shampoos daily. I started using the low-poo every other day, and then made the jump to no-poo a month later. After my oil production naturally went down, the low-poo was too drying for my hair. I can honestly say that I now love my hair. It is beautiful, healthy and rich and dark. I still have about two inches of bad ends, but the rest of it is beautiful. I have never loved my hair in my entire life. I felt like it was a constant battle between frizzy and stringy (because of the products I would put in it to make it not frizzy). Now, I use hardly any products (if I blow dry it, I use a volume boosting mousse) and I cleanse my hair every two days with no-poo. I love my hair now. It is in a short bob, and the natural oils make my hair look shiny and it is totally manageable. I have a mason pearson brush that I use in the morning and the night to clean any lint or dust out of my hair. The no-poo is magical stuff if you can get your sebum production to adjust. I promise that you will never ever go back to regular shampoos again if you use this for a few months. I have told all my my curly friends (guys too) about this stuff, because we all suffer from the same issues with curly hair.
If you have straight hair, you can basically do anything to it, and it wont break. Curly hair is very delicate, and we need the oil that our bodies produce to protect the hair strand from water, thermal and frictional damage. Without this oil, our hair has no hope of growing long. I have read a LOT of published cosmetic research, and I have concluded that anything that strips curly hair should be avoided. Anything that attempts to change the structure of the hair (relaxers and the hot flat irons) may make curly hair look good in the short term, but it will make it so weak that it will break off very easily; my brazilian blowout looked great for the first few months, and then half of my hair basically broke off. The Devacurl No-poo is rich and I feel works a lot better than using conditioner to wash my hair. I feel it nourishes my hair without weighing it down.
Making the transition takes time and patience, but trust me, it's worth it. I never thought I would say that I love my hair, but I do now. THANK YOU DEVACURL :)

PS- If you can make the transition, and your dye your hair, your hair dye will not fade if you use this shampoo. I use Wella Color Charm Demi, and I don't have to re-dye the ends when I do my new roots because my hair dye hasn't faded. I haven't dyed my ends in over 4 months- this means my ends are less damaged because they aren't repeatedly dyed; SCORE!

PSS- try a small sample and if you like it, you can buy a HUGE bottle on Amazon for a lot cheaper than at a salon. I buy the 32 oz bottles :)

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/19/2012 10:54:00 AM More reviews by evilgeminiangel

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I love this line. I have damaged long loose curly hair and this shampoo conditioner combo is the first ever I have found that u dont even have to use a comb to detangle and my hair is the curliest its ever been.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/19/2012 9:00:00 AM More reviews by DFcupcake

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This product combined with One Condition made my head itch. Really Bad. Really, really bad. Never again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/21/2011 7:44:00 PM More reviews by cerulfox

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

After using Dove for a while, I switched to this. Wow, it's made a difference! My hair looks much softer and healthier. I think it's the lack of sulfates that's doing it. Will definitely repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/3/2011 2:17:00 AM More reviews by Selenite

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I found this one to leave too much residue and as a result, my hair would often look dirty and lifeless. And I sure want to forget the greasy mess I would be left with between washings! It didn't compare well at all to Sally's Hair One or Hair Rules' Cleansing Cream. Sure, it's vegan which is why I wanted to try it but the results I got with this make we want to go back to my vegan no sulfate shampoo (Abba Pure Shine). I recommend skipping this one and try Hair One since it's half the price and produces better results.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/14/2011 10:56:00 PM More reviews by Terese4444

Works great for my longer, dry, colored, frizz prone, mostly straight hair! I use this as an alternative to Wen/Hair One since they get soo expensive given the amount of product you need to use. Since it's conditioned by hair, I'm able to scrunch a bit of wave in my hair. I love the other products, One conditioner, AnGel, Mousse. The Heaven in Hair was too heavy for me so I only use it sparingly.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/1/2011 1:25:00 AM More reviews by Jenstarlast

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Blue

I hated this. My hair never felt clean and I felt like I had to use a ton of this product, which is not cheap! I bought the Low Poo cleanser by DevaCurl and I like it much much better. This cleanser does smell great however.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/8/2011 10:03:00 PM More reviews by Tovah

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

The no-sulfate (poo) method has been amazing for my 3a/b Boticelli/Corkscrew hair. For my hair, not all "no-poos" and "co-washes" work the same way. Even though my hair is naturally as dry as dead grass, my scalp can get oily and stinky when it's humid outside. DevaCurl No-Poo cleans my scalp gently and thoroughly and makes my hair feel refreshed and soft. To those of you with dry, damaged hair, I sincerely recommend trying DevaCurl No-Poo. Nothing works for everybody, of course, but this has been so good for me I hope it works for others. It's hydrating, gentle, revitalizing, and even detangling. DevaCurl No-Poo is my personal "staple" hair cleanser, because just about every product in the DevaCurl line seems to have been formulated especially for my hair. (One Condition, especially, kinda blows my mind it's so good.) No-Poo works perfectly with it, for when I no-poo (every other, every 2-3 days). My hair has never, ever come close to looking or feeling so healthy.