DevaCurl No Poo

3.7

on 9/9/2013 11:36:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I really liked how this cleanser worked, left my hair feeling clean without being stripped. Tamed my curls pretty well using Devacurl One-Condition after No-Poo. The only complaint I has is that it doesn't smell that great, kind of chemically. I do have a sensitivity to smells and this one can give me a headache from time to time, but I still use the product, just disguise the smell by using a touch of another better smelling product to mask it. II have wavy- to loose spiral-ish crazy curls that are very prone to frizziness and breakage. This product has worked better than most all of the others I've tried....and I've tried A LOT.

on 7/24/2013 2:09:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I just started using DevaCurl No Poo about a week ago. So far, so good. My hair is really soft & not as frizzy as usual. My friend gave me a sample size of the No Poo & since I think my hair is improving, I just ordered a starter kit from Ulta that comes with the One Condition, No Poo, Defining Gel, the microfiber towel & some clips for volumizing. My hair is not curly at all. I used to have wavy hair years ago, but I started straightening it all of the time, & my friend who is a hair stylist said that after straightening my hair for so long, I've been making the hair shaft go straight. She said that DevaCurl should help encourage my hair back to it's wavy ways (fingers crossed). I'm just trying to get away from all the silicones, sulfates, parabens, etc., as well as having to wash my hair daily due to my very oily scalp. I know that using the shampoos with all the silicones, sulfates, parabens, etc. have made my scalp want to over-produce its natural oil, which is why I had to wash it everyday. I can't wait til I can skip days washing my hair. My hair feels clean, soft, & it's like I don't even need to use conditioner. Tip: you should never use a regular terry cloth towel to dry your hair. The fabric is rough on your hair, makes it frizzier & also makes it more susceptible to breakage. My friend told me to use 100% cotton t-shirts until I can get my microfiber towel in the mail.

So far, no complaints what-so-ever. I really don't see why so many people have been complaining about the smell. It smells like tea tree oil, but it's not overpowering at all. Plus, you can't even smell it throughout the day.

on 6/13/2013 1:21:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

This conditioner wash wasn't as good as I hoped. My hair type is 2C; frizz-prone, thick and wavy at the top with an underlayer of ringlets. It's also treated with permanent colorants from Goldwell and if left natural, I'd be about 30% gray (gray hair behaves differently - it's a little more dry and wiry than hairs that have melanin). I'm growing my hair out from a pixie and I need a regimen that will protect my hair from dryness while minimizing frizz and excess volume.
My hair seemed slightly frizzier and bushier with the No Poo than with other basic drugstore silicone-free conditioners used as a CO wash (favorite being TreSemme's Naturals Nourishing Moisture conditioner). It didn't feel dry, that's good, but I was left with a "That's it?" feeling after splurging on this special salon-quality conditioner wash. Not a lot of slip, either. My guess is the extra glycerin in No Poo is cleansing my hair too much. If you're arching your brow, lemme explain. I keep a bottle of vegetable glycerin on-hand to mix in with my conditioner if my scalp is feeling extra oily. It'll actually give my conditioner a small amount of sudsing power and it makes the conditioner work better as a cleanser. I don't want to use glycerin every day because I like my hair shaft to retain some natural oil; it frizzes less that way. So I returned the No Poo and now I'm now back to TreSemme. Oh well, it was an interesting experiment. lol!
I'd recommend No Poo to someone who wants extra body and doesn't need a lot of oil-based moisture. continued >>

on 4/16/2013 8:25:00 PM

I have eczema on my scalp so I cannot use shampoo that lathers, otherwise my skin bleeds. This shampoo is amazing! It takes a while to get used to no suds but I find it cleans my hair perfectly. I never feel like my scalp or hair is stripped. I also like that it conditions too so I find myself using less conditioner to get out any tangles. Amazing for my wavy hair!

on 2/11/2013 10:50:00 AM

This product can work for all hair types. I have curly hair that usually feels like straw after using a normal shampoo, but not with this cleansing conditioner. I can actually run my fingers half way through my hair! I have never been able to do this with a shampoo or even some conditioners in my life! That being said this does not lather at all, but you get used to it. It smells like mint and the scent isn't very strong. I also have issues with a dry & itchy scalp (not dandruff) this no poo doesn't irritate me. It makes my scalp less dry. Makes my hair feel gorgeously soft. I feel like this product would even work for people with oily hair. Oil is produced when your head is dry and produces even more when completely stripped away with sulfates.(these people feel like they need to shampoo daily)Since no poo has no sulfates, silicones, or parabens I think people could break that cycle with this product.

on 12/1/2012 3:34:00 AM

I really wanted to like No Poo, and maybe I would like it better if not for the godawful rose scent that makes me smell like an old lady. Honestly, even though I have moisture needing curly hair, I can't see myself using this as my main full-time cleanser, because eventually I'd be getting product build-up from the gel I use to tame the curls. I'd end up needing a clarifying shampoo once a week because it seems to be a cleansing conditioner. Maybe I'll try the DevaCare version sometime because to my nose, it smells much better than this the DevaCurl No Poo. Will not repurchase.

on 11/21/2012 2:44:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

I have long-ish hair that is cut in layers all the way down to about my bra hooks. It is not thin, not big, just normal volume with a wimpy 2b S-curl on the bottom, but 3b tight curls on top? yes, it air-drys really strange looking. So needless to say, in response I have chemically straightened my hair most of my life.

I did grow my hair out once, and try to wear my hair curly, or "naturally" and this led me to seek out such products.

I bought this as part of my first venture to DevaCurl or even "curly-hair specific" hair products. I was somewhat ok with it (ok, you get some moisture retention, but not much frizz reduction, but at least it didn't weight my curls down for the price of the moisture).

However, the shampoo is in my "toss" bin because it keeps breaking my back out! Not sure what's in this, but after just one wash, I will have 3-5 cystic acne bumps on my upper back.

If it had not broke me out, I would have rated this shampoo a "2" because I felt that over time, I needed to use a clarifying shampoo because it wasn't cleaning that much. Also, it didn't work for my overall hair look.

on 11/3/2012 9:11:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This product is suppose to be for curly hair, but I find it works great on my straight, medium fine hair. It's a bit like Wen Cleansing Conditioner, in that it doesn't lather. This is a great product if you're trying to ween yourself off of shampoo. Smells good too!

on 7/20/2012 6:46:00 PM

I've been using this cleanser exclusively for years. It is not a shampoo per se, it's a cleanser and it doesn't lather because it doesn't have sodium laurel sulfate. If you use a ton of Deva style products, you definitely need it to get all the gunk off your hair. It's got a soft fragrance, and it doesn't leave your hair feeling squeaky. I now realize that with coarse, ultra dry, damaged hair that squeaky is bad. I buy the huge bottle with the pump, and use about 4 pumps for my hair (lots of it), so I go through it faster than I would a regular shampoo that only requires a quarter sized dab...meaning I have to buy it more often than I'd like, especially because of the price.

on 5/27/2012 1:30:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

Great product for my fine but plentiful Botticelli curls. I follow the DevaCurl routine to the letter: No Poo followed by One Condition, followed AnGel, each day. I rinse the conditioner out of my hair following the "baptismal" way, which is just splashing water over your head, leaving some conditioner behind. I also use B'Leave In before using AnGel for maximum moisture and hold.

I love the smell of No Poo, and it can get anything out of my hair without drying it out. I prefer this product to Low Poo, which was far too drying for my delicate curls. I also will sometimes follow up the basic routine with DevaCurl's Styling Creme for softer, looser curls. Ttwo drops of Mirror Curls once my hair is dry gives great shine and definition, especially in the summer. What can I say, I'm a Curly Girl!

Remember, moisture, moisture, moisture is the key to great curls!

Popular Hair Products