August 22, 2014 | 1761 users online

Hair - DevaCurl - No Poo

rated 5 of 5 on 2/11/2013 10:50:00 AM More reviews by elaina26

This product can work for all hair types. I have curly hair that usually feels like straw after using a normal shampoo, but not with this cleansing conditioner. I can actually run my fingers half way through my hair! I have never been able to do this with a shampoo or even some conditioners in my life! That being said this does not lather at all, but you get used to it. It smells like mint and the scent isn't very strong. I also have issues with a dry & itchy scalp (not dandruff) this no poo doesn't irritate me. It makes my scalp less dry. Makes my hair feel gorgeously soft. I feel like this product would even work for people with oily hair. Oil is produced when your head is dry and produces even more when completely stripped away with sulfates.(these people feel like they need to shampoo daily)Since no poo has no sulfates, silicones, or parabens I think people could break that cycle with this product.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/1/2012 3:34:00 AM More reviews by beth247

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I really wanted to like No Poo, and maybe I would like it better if not for the godawful rose scent that makes me smell like an old lady. Honestly, even though I have moisture needing curly hair, I can't see myself using this as my main full-time cleanser, because eventually I'd be getting product build-up from the gel I use to tame the curls. I'd end up needing a clarifying shampoo once a week because it seems to be a cleansing conditioner. Maybe I'll try the DevaCare version sometime because to my nose, it smells much better than this the DevaCurl No Poo. Will not repurchase.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/21/2012 2:44:00 AM More reviews by Menolikepolos

I have long-ish hair that is cut in layers all the way down to about my bra hooks. It is not thin, not big, just normal volume with a wimpy 2b S-curl on the bottom, but 3b tight curls on top? yes, it air-drys really strange looking. So needless to say, in response I have chemically straightened my hair most of my life.

I did grow my hair out once, and try to wear my hair curly, or "naturally" and this led me to seek out such products.

I bought this as part of my first venture to DevaCurl or even "curly-hair specific" hair products. I was somewhat ok with it (ok, you get some moisture retention, but not much frizz reduction, but at least it didn't weight my curls down for the price of the moisture).

However, the shampoo is in my "toss" bin because it keeps breaking my back out! Not sure what's in this, but after just one wash, I will have 3-5 cystic acne bumps on my upper back.

If it had not broke me out, I would have rated this shampoo a "2" because I felt that over time, I needed to use a clarifying shampoo because it wasn't cleaning that much. Also, it didn't work for my overall hair look.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/3/2012 9:11:00 PM More reviews by kyl77

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This product is suppose to be for curly hair, but I find it works great on my straight, medium fine hair. It's a bit like Wen Cleansing Conditioner, in that it doesn't lather. This is a great product if you're trying to ween yourself off of shampoo. Smells good too!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/20/2012 6:46:00 PM More reviews by Ms_Bobbalina

I've been using this cleanser exclusively for years. It is not a shampoo per se, it's a cleanser and it doesn't lather because it doesn't have sodium laurel sulfate. If you use a ton of Deva style products, you definitely need it to get all the gunk off your hair. It's got a soft fragrance, and it doesn't leave your hair feeling squeaky. I now realize that with coarse, ultra dry, damaged hair that squeaky is bad. I buy the huge bottle with the pump, and use about 4 pumps for my hair (lots of it), so I go through it faster than I would a regular shampoo that only requires a quarter sized dab...meaning I have to buy it more often than I'd like, especially because of the price.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/27/2012 1:30:00 PM More reviews by MelissaMH

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Great product for my fine but plentiful Botticelli curls. I follow the DevaCurl routine to the letter: No Poo followed by One Condition, followed AnGel, each day. I rinse the conditioner out of my hair following the "baptismal" way, which is just splashing water over your head, leaving some conditioner behind. I also use B'Leave In before using AnGel for maximum moisture and hold.

I love the smell of No Poo, and it can get anything out of my hair without drying it out. I prefer this product to Low Poo, which was far too drying for my delicate curls. I also will sometimes follow up the basic routine with DevaCurl's Styling Creme for softer, looser curls. I always use two drops of Mirror Curls once my hair is dry for great shine and definition. What can I say, I'm a Curly Girl!

Remember, moisture, moisture, moisture is the key to great curls!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/15/2012 10:16:00 PM More reviews by catherinesophia

Ok, so here's the deal. If you are going to go the no-poo route, I would strongly suggest that you first start by using the Low-poo, and then move onto this one. I tried to use the no-poo about a year ago, and it was a disgusting disaster. I had really dry, curly, unmanageable hair about 3 months ago. I have been trying to grow my hair out for several years, and I have been advised by my hair stylist (now fired) that relaxing/keratin treatments would help me. Well, these procedures basically destroyed my hair. I did the big chop a month ago. Anyway, I wanted to know why my hair was breaking once it got to my ears, and I figured it out. I was flat ironing my hair (which destroys curls and also makes your hair a time bomb for breaking because it literally melts the hair at high temperatures), and using harsh sodium laurel sulfate shampoos daily. I started using the low-poo every other day, and then made the jump to no-poo a month later. After my oil production naturally went down, the low-poo was too drying for my hair. I can honestly say that I now love my hair. It is beautiful, healthy and rich and dark. I still have about two inches of bad ends, but the rest of it is beautiful. I have never loved my hair in my entire life. I felt like it was a constant battle between frizzy and stringy (because of the products I would put in it to make it not frizzy). Now, I use hardly any products (if I blow dry it, I use a volume boosting mousse) and I cleanse my hair every two days with no-poo. I love my hair now. It is in a short bob, and the natural oils make my hair look shiny and it is totally manageable. I have a mason pearson brush that I use in the morning and the night to clean any lint or dust out of my hair. The no-poo is magical stuff if you can get your sebum production to adjust. I promise that you will never ever go back to regular shampoos again if you use this for a few months. I have told all my my curly friends (guys too) about this stuff, because we all suffer from the same issues with curly hair.
If you have straight hair, you can basically do anything to it, and it wont break. Curly hair is very delicate, and we need the oil that our bodies produce to protect the hair strand from water, thermal and frictional damage. Without this oil, our hair has no hope of growing long. I have read a LOT of published cosmetic research, and I have concluded that anything that strips curly hair should be avoided. Anything that attempts to change the structure of the hair (relaxers and the hot flat irons) may make curly hair look good in the short term, but it will make it so weak that it will break off very easily; my brazilian blowout looked great for the first few months, and then half of my hair basically broke off. The Devacurl No-poo is rich and I feel works a lot better than using conditioner to wash my hair. I feel it nourishes my hair without weighing it down.
Making the transition takes time and patience, but trust me, it's worth it. I never thought I would say that I love my hair, but I do now. THANK YOU DEVACURL :)

PS- If you can make the transition, and your dye your hair, your hair dye will not fade if you use this shampoo. I use Wella Color Charm Demi, and I don't have to re-dye the ends when I do my new roots because my hair dye hasn't faded. I haven't dyed my ends in over 4 months- this means my ends are less damaged because they aren't repeatedly dyed; SCORE!

PSS- try a small sample and if you like it, you can buy a HUGE bottle on Amazon for a lot cheaper than at a salon. I buy the 32 oz bottles :)

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/19/2012 10:54:00 AM More reviews by evilgeminiangel

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I love this line. I have damaged long loose curly hair and this shampoo conditioner combo is the first ever I have found that u dont even have to use a comb to detangle and my hair is the curliest its ever been.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/19/2012 9:00:00 AM More reviews by DFcupcake

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This product combined with One Condition made my head itch. Really Bad. Really, really bad. Never again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/21/2011 7:44:00 PM More reviews by cerulfox

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

After using Dove for a while, I switched to this. Wow, it's made a difference! My hair looks much softer and healthier. I think it's the lack of sulfates that's doing it. Will definitely repurchase.