August 1, 2014 | 1775 users online

Eyeliner - Kanebo - KATE super sharp liner

rated 3 of 5 on 10/6/2011 4:30:00 AM More reviews by idrish

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Pros
Very easy to apply

Cons
Color payoff is meh : it's grayish, and to achieve black need multiple application
Hard to remove, even with eye makeup remover, leaves your eyelid grayish stain after long wear

Recommended for newcomers to brush type eyeliners.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/15/2011 12:35:00 AM More reviews by ingenue

Having bought this after reading multiple rave reviews, this is definitely one of the easiest liquid liners I have ever used, as well as one of the most portable. I don't have the steadiest of hands, and this little pen allows for super easy application...I don't get crazy wiggly lines anymore, and thin lines are now a breeze! Ultra slimline and lightweight, it's easy to pop into even the tiniest of clutches for touch-ups.

Which brings me to its much lauded staying strength. While it is pretty easy to remove - soaking a Q-tip with an oil-based remover does the trick with no stains - it just isn't as smudge-proof as Bobbi Brown's gel eyeliner. Perhaps my eyelids are just oilier than the average person's, but a faint smudge on my upper lid is visible after a short period of wear. Then again, it is heaps easier to remove than BB's gel eyeliner and it DOES last a lot longer on me than the average liner, so I deal with it by carrying around a Q-tip for touch-ups.

Price-wise, it is very affordable and widely available in Asian drugstores. Definitely a repurchase item!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/28/2011 3:26:00 AM More reviews by nahsiep

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've tried both BK (black) and BK-1 (blackest black). This is the BEST liquid eyeliner I've used, since I started lining my eyes back in 2004. I've tried liquid eyeliners from Chanel, Dior, Maybelline, L'Oréal, Marjolica... There never was one that has a tip that stays fine after 1month of use and can provide the right amount of liquid. The click-pen type eyeliners from Chanel and Dior--both of which I've used constantly for about 2 years--typically pump out too much liquid... so much so that often, when I remove the liner at the end of the day, the liner comes our as 'small chunks' on the cotton pads! Marjolica was too light and transparent. L'Oréal felt liner was a failer.

I first tried Kate's super sharp in BK. This was good but I always felt the colour was too light and sometimes can oxidize and turn greenish at the end of the day. Then I realized one day super sharp actually comes in BK-1 which is blackest black. This is SUPER!

1) The colour intensity is just nice.
2) The tip stays sharp throughout the entire life of the liner. I change every 3-4months for hygiene purposes and because I use it almost everyday.
3) The liner stays on my lids the entire day. No smudges!
4) BK-1 liners come with tiny balls in the pen itself so you can 'shake' the ink. The liner never dispenses too much ink, meaning, you can never get that 'clumpy' liquid eyeliner effect which is plain over-the-board.
5) The price is unbelievable for such a good-quality liner. I always have at least 1-2 extra liners sitting in my makeup pouch, in case I run out and don't have time to go get it.

I think I'm currently using my 12th super sharp liner! It's a must stock-up item as it constantly runs out in stores!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/19/2011 11:23:00 PM More reviews by LadyAmaryllis

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

Color: Blackest black, opaque in one swipe. Dries semimatte but not glossy either.

Longevity: Lasts all day long over UDPP, TFSI, etc. or even just a layer of BB long wear cream shadow, MAC paint, or other longwearing cream shadow. No flaking, no smudging, but does not require a cleansing oil to remove. I live in Seattle and am in the rain all the time, this never leaves black trails running down my face! This 0.6mL pen has lasted me more than 5 months of regular (not daily, but several times a week) use.

Packaging: Simple black plastic pen format, nothing fancy, but sturdy and gets the job done. The pen is equipped with a fine brush tip that is neither too rigid nor too flexible, just the right amount of give to it. I can make a thick or thin line by varying the pressure and the brush never gets snagged or tugs at my lids, and it is thin enough to let me color in the spaces between my lashes and get every last bit of my lashline, even the corners. This is also awesome for making winged cat-eye flicks at the outer corners, or drawing whisper-thin lines to accentuate/tightline on the bottom lashline. Fabulous.

Availability: Alas, this little gem is ridiculously hard to find outside of Japan/Asia. I ordered mine on eBay for ~$13 or 14 but it's well worth the cost for such a great liner! Also available from adambeauty, ichibankao, mihokoshop etc. but I find that eBay offered the best deal. YMMV.

Bottom line: great, longwearing, easy to use liner...if I were condemned to using only one liner for the rest of my life, I'd probably pick this!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/4/2011 6:22:00 AM More reviews by jaymief

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Got this a year ago during my trip to Hong Kong and I'm so glad I did! My last eyeliner pen wass from MAC and I had some difficulty lining my eyes. Could never get a nice smooth straight line.When I used my KATE eyeliner, it made it so easy to line my eyes! I love it!The tip is the perfect size and the color is buildable which I don't mind. I bought mine for $8 which I think is a steal! But like what the others reviewers wrote is that it does leave a stain on your eyes after you remove it but it doesn't last long so I don't mind. I would definitely repurchase again and again!

rated 1 of 5 on 5/18/2011 9:40:00 AM More reviews by Moonjellie14

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Maybe I got a defective product... There are so many rave reviews about this but it just doesn't work for me. The color will somehow bleed into the tiny grooves of the skin. Also, while this dries very quickly and is therefore almost smudge proof, it's almost impossible to wash off! I tried my oil cleanser 3 times plus my eye makeup remover, but it doesn't come off completely. There's still a light greenish tint on my skin. I will stick to my MAC PowerPoint pencil.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/26/2011 4:08:00 PM More reviews by jillinnyc

I love this eyeliner for its -

1)thin line. I don't wear a full makeup, just foundation, eye brow, eyeliner. So the thin and neat lines are enough for me.

2) low price. not really cheap, but worthy. Paid $12+ shipping on eBay. I will definitely stock it up when I am back to HK.

3) long lasting but easy to remove. funny contradiction, but it can be easily washed off with warm water.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/6/2011 10:31:00 AM More reviews by sleepeystar

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

My first liquid liner, I find this not pigmented enough. And sometimes, it gets "stained" on my eyelids like how it would if you point it on the same spot on a white piece of fabric and watch the threads soak up the ink, spreading in an almost "chromatography" manner. Instead of using short strokes to draw lines, I usually just dot in between my lashes and the effect turns out great too. I am eyeing the gel liner next, hopefully it's as good as what I've read so far. :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/19/2010 10:56:00 AM More reviews by rachchen

I chose this over the inkwell-style Quick Eyeliner because:

a) It sets immediately. Quick Eyeliner requires you to allow for a few seconds to let the liquid dry. If you're impatient and are not willing to sit there with your eyes closed to prevent liner from transferring onto your lids, you should go with Super Sharp. Quick Eyeliner was also excessively runny and difficult to get a clean line.

b) Micro-fine line. This is down to personal preference. The Quick Eyeliner produces a thicker line. I want a thinner line with a super fine brush that allows me to get as close to my lash line as possible.

c) Easier to control brush. Perhaps it's due to the pen format (Quick Eyeliner is an inkwell), but I had an easier time working with the pen as it allowed me to place my hand closer to my eyes.

d) Lasts longer than Quick Eyeliner. Quick Eyeliner came off immediately with 1 round of soap and water, Super Sharp took 2 cleans with soap and water. Both were tested on the back of my hand and washed simultaneously.

If you want a super rich, patent leather black, then Quick Eyeliner is definitely the darker of the two, but sacrificing longevity and ease of application.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/2/2010 6:40:00 PM More reviews by Jenniferroyea

I love this liquid eyeliner. It is super easy to control the line and it lasts really well. The only drawback is that it has to be layered for a dark effect, but it's no big deal. I will def buy again!