LUSH Angels on Bare Skin

3.9

Ground Almonds Glycerine Kaolin Water (Aqua) Lavender Oil Rose Absolute Chamomile Blue Oil Tagetes Oil Benzoin Resinoid Lavender Flowers *Limonene *Linalool

on 7/2/2015 6:52:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I'm one of those people who don't necessarily believe or buy into the whole natural-is-better in terms of skincare because I believe every person's skin is different and to some, synthetic ingredients and chemicals may actually be more beneficial than natural ones. That's why my expectations of Angels was pretty low despite two of my friends who have very different skin types from each other raving about this cleanser. Friend 1 has perfect asf skin who doesn't need to do so much to it and Friend 2 has a more similar skin type to me - sensitive to the environment, weather, lifestyle and stress, sometimes oily, sometimes dry, breakout prone.

I also haven't used a cleanser in YEARS because every cleanser I've tried has either made my skin too oily, too dry or is just plain too harsh, making me break out very badly :( thus, I have a pretty big distrust of regularly cleansing my face, especially since my skin has been better off not being cleansed anyway.

So I came into using Angels with a very doubtful mind. I decided to use it once everyday in the mornings so I can really see if it's the type of cleanser I can use regularly, but only used it on the right side of my face so I can really see and compare how my skin handles Angels compared to just using good ol' lukewarm water...

Pros:
- I can use this cleanser regularly! No dryness/redness/flakiness AND didn't make me too oily, hence it didn't make break me out!
- Quite moisturising on dry skin! Helps get rid of dry patches!!
- Skin feels so smooth and soft after cleansing
- Brightens overall skin tone
- The bits of kaolin, almond and lavender in Angels feel nice and soothing but not very harsh as exfoliators.
- I actually don't need very much of the cleanser to cover my face. I only have a small sample and I've only used a third of it.

Cons:
- Usage - the packaging. The fact that it will spoil easily if you're careless with preserving the cleanser. Having to "make" the cleanser. I actually don't mind this so much and I can live with all this for now but when you're in a rush, using this cleanser isn't so convenient.
- Angels brightens the skin overall, but not sure if it can help with hyperpigmentation. I might need to use Angels for longer to see if it can get rid of that or not.
- I feel like Angels neither worsens nor helps prevent breakouts. It would be nice to have a cleanser that actually prevents breakouts but will work as gently as Angels does.
- Price... seems expensive at first, but honestly.. most lowish-mid range skincare products cost the same as Angels anyway.
- Doesn't remove makeup. This isn't a con for me personally, but it seems to be for many people. I never expected Angels to be a makeup remover anyway and it never claims to be one, so this shouldn't be a problem.

If only Angels can actually prove that it will help fade hyperpigmentation and maintain breakout-free skin, but am I asking for too much? Maybe. I'm very keen to look into Lush's other cleansers and see if they have one that actually actively but gently gets rid of/prevents breakouts, but I'll continue to use the small sample of Angels I've got till it runs out. If I feel like it's done all I look for in a cleanser, I will be very impressed and surprised! I've known about this cleanser for years now and refused to try it because of my cleanser phobia, so I'm still shocked that Angels has restored my trust and faith in facial cleansers and cleansing!

on 6/29/2015 12:35:00 AM

I use this product when my breakouts are at a minimum because it didn't do much when I used it on my cystic acne (which I get regularly on my chin) Good morning cleanser. The first solid cleanser I'd ever brought but it's not hard to use at all. A pinch of product + a few drops of water + mixing it together in your palm = a great cleanser from Lush. Only con is it can get a bit messy and my partner and parents don't like the mess I leave behind after using this product.

on 6/19/2015 8:46:00 AM

such a beautiful cleanser. best for minimal make up days. smoothes skin

on 6/17/2015 5:13:00 AM

I tried this product some time ago and have recently repurchased. I love lush products and this is no exception. It is a little awkward to use but I think a lot of there stuff is like that. I am use to easy pump packs and bottles products. I find this product to be work wonderfully on my skin with regard to keeping my skin lovely and fresh without feeling like I am stripping it bare. However it does nothing for acne or blemishes, which is slightly disappointing. I use it as an in between face was, when I feel the products I use for acne are a bit too much and I want to clean my skin without over drying it.

See the link for more info on this product: http://yellowlacecats.blogspot.com.au/2013/10/angels-on-bare-skin.html

on 6/8/2015 8:03:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Before I start my review, please note I am not the type of person who thinks everything that is natural is better. I am a scientist and as such I truly appreciate the killing power of many natural compounds. Cyanide, vinca alkaloids, radium! These are just three deadly examples!

Now onto this cleanser. I knew the pot was not very practical and I wasn't sure if I would enjoy having to mix the paste with water. I went ahead and bought it anyway. The first time I used it I noticed it doesn't really form 'a paste', it just so happens that big 'crumbs' of cleanser become smaller 'crumbs' when water is added. I scooped a small amount out, added some warm water to my hand, mixed and proceeded with application. On a wet face, it left a residue after rinsing. When I tried it on a dry face, it didn't leave as much of a residue but it still didn't feel completely clean.

I used it a few times but I quickly gave up on it. It feels a bit harsh yet the crushed almonds do not provide adequate exfoliation. So they are a bit pointless, really. Why would I want to rub my face with a scruby substance everyday if then I will still have to exfoliate with an actual exfoliatior? I am also not a fan of scrubby products to begin with. The cleanser also left a residue most of the time.

Overall I believe this is an overpriced cleanser and while it is an interesting concept, it was messy, ineffective and drying. It's a no from me. I would like to give it some lippies... but it doesn't do anything for my skin it doesn't even clean it properly so I will have to give it only 1 lippie.

Edit: One more lippie due to the excellent returns policy where Lush allows you to return used products. In the UK, where I live at the moment, it's pretty much unheard of. Estee Lauder and Clinique accept used products but they ask too many questions. Lush truly has a no quibble return policy. I wish all companies were like that.

on 6/6/2015 5:23:00 PM

My daughter and I both used this cleanser. We both love it. This will remove dirt and oil, but will not remove makeup. You need to used makeup remover first. This leave our face soft and smooth. We used this twice a day. We love lush products.

on 5/14/2015 3:46:00 AM

This is so fun to use! I got attracted to the novelty of a facial wash in this form. Apparently the recipe is from the medieval times. Exotic :)

Don't take too much product out of the tub. All you need is just a pea size. If you take too big a lump it'd be hard to blend it into a paste.

As the paste still has little bits and pieces that make it uneven, I don't use a lot of strength when massaging the product on my skin. Gently does it.

I think the product should avoid water.. so storing it in a cool, dry place in the bathroom is important.

Your skin will look radiant and supple after wash. Enjoyable product to use.

on 5/13/2015 8:24:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I bought this product upon recommendation of a friend that does my glycolic acid peels. She claimed it would be the most gentle way to deal with the initial breakout. I was put off by the price but she also claimed it would last a long time. I have used it twice now. The first time my face got a little blotchy for about 5 minutes but felt smooth and supple. I used it this morning for the second time. I got less irritation this time and my face feels fresh and smooth. My skin is very sensitive so the irritation was probably due to 1. The new product and 2. The slight abrasiveness of the ground almonds in the cleanser. Pretty happy with the initial results. No new breakouts so far. I have hard time finding good cleanser so hopefully this works for the long run.

on 5/8/2015 3:54:00 AM

Aah my true love! Lol <33 this is my holy grail cleanser/exfoliater. I cannot explain how relieved I was to finally find something that didn't make my dry/flaky/red/sensitive skin worse. It is a bit messy to use and takes some getting used to. I'm not sure if it removes makeup well, I always remove my makeup first with Ponds Cold Cream or Lush's Ultra Bland. So after I remove my makeup, I use this. It leaves my skin soft, NOT TIGHT. Some people like tight, I get it. But to me, tight=drier more irratated skin. This literally makes my face glow. Not to mention I adore the smell of this. I cannot say enough good things about this wonderful product.

on 4/20/2015 12:19:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

My skin: Sensitive, acne prone, only oily in tzone but breakout along jawline and cheeks mostly.

About a year ago I used a lot but for some reason I just wanted to try new stuff and stopped using it. I just repurchased this last week and my skin has already improved so much. This really cleans out clogged pores and its so soft and gentle it feels like a spa treatment. I had this one little pimple under my skin for weeks and after one use of this it finally came to the surface and I can treat it better now. The best thing is that it leaves my skin very smooth. My dry-flakiness is gone and my makeup goes on perfectly now. I highly recommend this cleanser to anyone with sensitive skin or combination skin. I never breaking up with it again, wish I never did!