December 20, 2014 | 913 users online

Fragrances - Yves Saint Laurent - Nu

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/14/2008 4:05:00 AM More reviews by fpih

I have tried Nu a couple of times and was intrigued; the first time I loved it but the second not at all! I guess I was switching between edt and edp versions which are very different according to the reviews. Last time I tried it I checked the version I used: it was the edp. I initially loved it so much! I adore the smell of incense that I got from my wrist. It was so smooth, warm incense, nothing sweet or cloying. But after about an hour when I smelled my wrist again, the incense note was gone; what was left was a warm, woody, sweetness. It was warm, nothing heavy or cloying, very smooth smell that unfortunately seemed too linear and indifferent to me; nothing worth smellind and even unoticable. After a couple of hours, except of a light sweetness there was nothing to suggest that I had put on a perfume on my hand; it was completely gone. Awful lasting power and unimpressive dry down. But for the first 30 mins, this was one of the best perfumes I've tried.

I have seen many people here comparing it to Black Cashmere by Donna Karan, saying that BC is the heavier of the two. Since I cannot find BC to test, so I'm considering buying it unsniffed, any help about the lasting power and smell of BC would be appreciated.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/12/2008 6:53:00 PM More reviews by TrizyDLuX

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

YSL Nu smells to me like dark spicy-cinnamon woods. The listed floral notes (orchid, jasmine) are thankfully unobtrusive to my nose. I really like this scent a lot, despite not usually being a fan of spice notes! I think it is the hefty does of woods that turn this into the one heavily spicy scent I can wear and love. One other thing that I must point out is that aside from not liking the *smell* of spices on my skin, notes of cinnamon and clove tend to make my skin burn and turn red. For some reason, although the cinnamon seems prominent to my nose, I have not reacted to it in the typical manner when wearing Nu. It appears decidedly skin-safe.

Other scents that seem similar to me - not the same, but along the same lines, are: Feminite du Bois (more violets & fruits), Cabaret (more roses and patchouli), and Passage d'Enfer (much simpler, but similar to the woody incensey base of Nu). All these have far less spice notes than Nu has.

Now about the packaging... this has to be some of the worst fragrance packaging I have *ever* encountered. The "bottle" is made of plastic and closely resembles a metallic pale violet hockey puck. It does not look pretty or sophisticated (or even mod) and it does not feel good or even substantial in the hand. It cannot stand up and must lie down on one of its disk-like sides. What on earth were they thinking when they designed this?!

continued >>

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/2/2008 3:53:00 PM More reviews by Kayelle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This turned out to be a little too spicy and overwhelming on me. I tend to gravitate towards fresh, clean, youthful scents, and Nu is heavy, dramatic and sexy. Perhaps it's the type of fragrance I'll love and be able to pull off in a few years....

rated 4 of 5 on 1/30/2008 3:14:00 PM More reviews by Emese1

Nu is a light floral on me, reminds me of NR For Her. I get mostly lily of the valley from both, though I'm sure they even have it. I think the packaging and name for Nu are very deceptive, as I expected a much "darker", spicier scent based on them. It's got a very pleasant drydown on me, and I'm very picky about scents. I would wear this even in warm weather during the day.
(Edit: ok, I'm talking about the EDT, which "ve just read is actually more sheer and floral).

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/26/2008 1:38:00 PM More reviews by syltetyta

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

YSL's NU EdP is a cool, sophisticated, spicy floriental very different from todays sweet and feminime florientals that I usually fall for.
NU is androgynous, a scent with a character, a skinscent once it's dried down, and - imo - a perfect office fragrance with just the right amount of spicy mysteriousness and woody power combined with orchid and vanilla to stay clear of masculinity.

Some has compared it to "Kingdom" by McQueen, and I get the same similarities as I have them both, but NU is a softer version while Kingdom is more chaotic.

The ingredients are: frankincense, orchid, cedar, bergamot, chardamom, leather, jasmine, black pepper, sandalwood, lily, vanilla and cinnamon.

On me it smells like orchids and cedar, very different and a powerfull blend.

I won't repurchase, only because I have too many fragrances.
UPDATE: I'm an oriental-floral/woody girl. If you're a fruity-floral gal, you probably won't like this.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/21/2008 2:13:00 PM More reviews by caravan

If it were niche, it would get a lot more respect. Aloof, mysterious incense. Not warm, not comforting, but a woody and insidiously inviting hint of pepper and and orchid that keeps winking in the background. Not coy, not come and get it vixen. I am here, you will remember me, I will haunt you forever sexiness. The deep midnight blue that makes you yearn for the nightime and all things just barely out of reach.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/3/2008 9:33:00 AM More reviews by luckylouie

On me this smells very similar to Youth Dew Amber Nude, only smoother, more spicy and nowhere near as bland. This is probably not a HG, however at $19AU for a 50ml edt with fantastic sillage, I may very well rebuy. I love the original Youth Dew (oil form only) but it is never available at a bargain price. This is definitely an acceptable, easy to wear substitute. This is a lovely winter incense perfume with just enough sweetness to take the edge off. However I will agree with other reviewers who feel this could be a unisex fragrance. My husband has stolen my bottle, and I can't stop sniffing after him! Then again he also smells fantastic in the womens version of Opium, which smells like bad potpourri on me.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/5/2007 10:59:00 AM More reviews by shopcheap

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

there are excellent lists of nu's fragrance notes in the other reviews - i just LOVE this scent. nu is like nothing else i've tried. i also have the body cream (in the coolest square jar) and the edp, which is in a perfectly smooth, round silver disk in a dark blue holder. they look great displayed together. nu smells cool as well. i get lots of pepper in the opening along with a deep, pleasant incense. the floral notes come out later but aren't sweet at all. i think this is very much a unisex scent. nu has good staying power and subtle sillage. everyone who smells it loves it. i like this best at night; the body cream alone has enough presence for work wear.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/23/2007 6:42:00 PM More reviews by LittleGnome

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I love this scent in the EDP and the body cream. I *like* it very much in the EDT- but the EDT is a different scent than the EDP. The EDP is unisex, very woody, spicy, balsamic and incensey fragrance that becomes more and more skin-like as the day wears on. It is strangely comforting and confidence-building on me. I can't wear Black Cashmere because it is too much of a firewood smell on my skin, but I can wear this one very well. I smell a lot of cardamon in this too.
There is a very pronounced orchid note in this fragrance, which becomes almost sparkling in the EDT. The EDT is lighter and definitely more feminine. The body cream is almost parfum-like and very sensual, almost androgynous.
This is in my top 10 of all time...love the stuff. The bottle in the hockey puck shape is a little annoying to take in and out of its holder, but the scent is worth it. Do not buy this unsniffed. Even incense lovers may not like it because of its floral, balsamic and spicy qualities - in the EDP is most definitely a unisex fragrance, so be warned if you like very feminine perfumes. Here are the notes: bergamot; white orchid, black pepper, incense absolute; cardamom, vetiver, sandalwood, and musk.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/23/2007 8:25:00 PM More reviews by Gracious_Lady

Advertised Notes: Bergamot, White Orchid, Absolute Incense On paper, the notes in YSL Nu were extremely attractive to me, especially the incense. So, I decided to give it a try. Well, it smells like Estee Lauder's Youth Dew on me. (My Grandma Edna's signature scent.) While I loved Grandma in Youth Dew, I am NOT loving Youth Dew on me. I am disappointed because I smell no incense, etc. I will give this scent the benefit of the doubt and guess that I got a hold of an old bottle. Will try to find this in a store and give it another shot. UPDATE: I definitely must have had an old batch the first time, but it still bares a mild resemblance to Youth Dew on me. While Nu will not be my absolute favorite perfume and I'll probably only wear it rarely, I must confess, the incense dry down very nice. Anyway, changing rating from 2 to 3 lippies but will not repurchase. continued >>