August 22, 2014 | 1903 users online

Sunscreen - Clarins - UV PLUS Protective Day Screen SPF 40

rated 5 of 5 on 2/15/2014 1:08:00 PM More reviews by savyy

This is the best mineral sunscreen I've tried. I've used this for a few years now. It's so light and blends nicely--it has a liquid consistency but dries soft matte. It doesn't make me dry or oily. I find it also makes my tinted moisturizer/foundation look better when this is underneath. I just don't like that it has fragrance but I love this for so many other reasons I'll put up with that.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2014 1:07:00 AM More reviews by arlenerubio27

This is one of my go to products.... I used the Neutragena sunscreen for a long time then I found this product. It is amazing light and absorbs quickly. It doesn't separate with my makeup or other routine products. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!!! I only use a dime size per day on my face and neck.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/30/2013 8:56:00 AM More reviews by maliciousdelicious

I got a couple of small sample tubes of this with another purchase. The first tube went off fine - I had no problems although I still prefer Chanel UV Essentiel. I must have gone back to the second tube after about a year. Unfortunately, it made my entire face totally red and look like it was heading for a major break-down. I don't know if it was spoiled (I do live in a hot climate) but didn't expect it to disintegrate so soon. It looked fine coming out of the tube.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/25/2013 6:34:00 PM More reviews by GwenNYC

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I've yet to find a moisturizer with SPF 40 or higher that's any good. They're generally oily and greasy, and made me feel completely unattractive. This SPF is fantastic for a multitude of reasons. First, you can wear it alone or over your favorite moisturizer. When I'm in high humidity like NYC during the summer, I wear this on its own. In colder weather I wear this over my usual moisturizer and it works like a charm. It's non scented and lightweight, making it ideal to use in any situation.

The bottle design is brilliant in its simplicity. The tapered tip controls the flow of the lotion, and prevents excess from pouring out all over the place. No wasted product or mess! When you shake the bottle before use, you can hear the ball/mixing mechanism to ensure the lotion is properly mixed prior to application. Love this! I've been using this for years, and can't imagine ever being without it.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 8/13/2013 5:38:00 AM More reviews by Itsheatherlol

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This works great as an SPF primer for combination to oily skin. It's not really broken me out and goes on very easily and dries quickly too. Makeup glides on effortlessly on top and doesn't cause the dreaded balling as some primers can do. What I don't like about this product is that it's fragranced which irritates most skin types in one way or another and contains no antioxidants or skin boosting benefits. Not to mention it's very expensive for what it is. To get the 40 SPF you do have to apply this liberally and given the cost vs how tiny this bottle is (about the size of my thumb, by the way), I can't see how this could be preferred over say City Block (sheer) by Clinique or other brands. It's cheaper, better for the skin and you get more of the product too. I will continue to use this until the bottle runs out but I will not be repurchasing unfortunately.

Pros:
Goes on very easily
Doesn't ball up with foundation
Didn't break me out
High SPF
Not oily

Cons:
Fragranced
No skin care boosting ingredients such as anti-oxidants
Tiny bottle, not a lot of product yet really, REALLY expensive
Product has to be applied liberally to achieve full SPF40 - who can afford to do that with this product on a regular basis

Bottom line is this is a very average SPF to be worn under makeup (if desired) but for what it is, it really isn't worth the hefty price tag.

Ingredients:
Cyclopentasiloxane, Water, Polyglyceryl-3, Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Corn Starch Modified, Alcohol, Aluminum Hydroxide Stearic Acid, Sodium Chloride, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Phenoxyethanol, PEG/PPG 20/15 Dimethicone, Tocopheryl Acetate, Fragrance, Hydroxy-Propyltrimonium Maltodextrin Crosspolymer, Disodium EDTA, Butylene Glycol, Glyercin, Pentylene Glycol, Cucumis Melo (Melon) Fruit Extract, Biosaccharide Gum 4, Thermus, Thermophillus Ferment, Lapsana Communis Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract, Camellia Sinesis Leaf Extract, Potassium Sorbate, Rhodiola Rosea Root Extract, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Benzyl Salicylate, Geraniol, Citronellel, Benzyl Benzoate, Butyl-phenyl Methylpropional, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Limonene, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/6/2013 12:37:00 PM More reviews by Henab

On my fifth bottle of this. Every other spf seems to break me out. It would have been perfect if it had broader spf uva protection. The price is expensive but for me a bottle last a long time, around 4 months.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2013 11:41:00 PM More reviews by angeluv178

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I absolutely love this sunscreen! It's the only one I use that doesn't feel sticky, doesn't break me out, doesn't me me oily, doesn't clog my pores. It's light-weight, almost runny but I like the consistency. It doesn't even feel like I have anything on. I use the colorless one and mix it with my Estée Lauder Double Wear Light Foundation and it's the perfect tinted moisturizer for me. On beach days, I put a nice layer of this over my moisturizer and under my EL light foundation and I'm protected and it looks great! I did this on a week long vacation in Cancun, reapplying maybe 1x after prolonged swimming and didn't burn at all. I travel quite often and never had a problem with the bottle leaking.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/28/2013 2:03:00 PM More reviews by Tindra78

My skin: extremely acne prone, congested pores, a lot of hyperpigmentation everywhere (from my old bc pills) and redness. I really HAVE to use high daily sunscreen, but that's hard!!!! I need something that doesn't contribute to the shine in my face, and the scars/enlarged pores. Right now I use the Elta Md clear, which I love, but I'm on the hunt of something more matte for really humid and hot summer days.

So, I found this. Feels very lightweight, it's oilfree, dries in fast.... Seems to have titanium dioxide mainly as a sunscreen agent.... Usually TD becomes ugly on my skin, when in mineral makeup form....messy, enlarged pores look even worse.... And yes, all the silicones in this product does not help making it much more beautiful on the skin.... IF you have really, really bad skintexture already.....

So I don't like the look of this ss! It enlarges pores and imperfections. And I don't like all the silicones, it reminds a little about the Japanese sunscreens that are loaded with them and they have always broken me out in pimples.... This is very slippery and dries semi-matte with a typical silicone surface. But a lot of silicones makes me scared!! And for acne skin - why so many ingredients?? They just make me confused....

In that way I didn't dared to go through this sample I received.... I don't like it that much.

I'll stay to my Elta Md clear, that I trust, until I find something more "mattifying" for hot summer days in the office....

rated 3 of 5 on 3/2/2013 12:55:00 AM More reviews by smsbell

Bummer. My search for a sunscreen that won't congest my pores and lead to little breakouts continues. I've tried just about everything and think I'm doomed for minimum coverage through my foundation and powder forever at this point. The sunscreen went on smooth, actually seemed to help my foundation apply better, and felt great. Light weight, sunk in to my sceen and my hopes soared! However, after just three days of using, with NO other changes to my routine that could have caused it, my pores started getting gunky and little bumps started appearing in random non-breakout prone places. I stopped for a week, did my chemical peel and a good mask and my skin cleared back up, tried this a couple more days and the pores got all large and gunky again. So, this is not for me though I could see how it could get amazing reviews if your skin didn't clog up so easily. I'm returning it and the search continues...

rated 5 of 5 on 1/22/2013 4:14:00 PM More reviews by xxbabydollxx

My most favorite high end non-oily sunscreen. This sunscreen as many have mentioned is similar to Shiseido's Urban Oil-free ss except that you get more for your price with the Clarins one.
What drew me to this ss was the fact that it was a physical ss vs. a chemical sunscreen. Physical sunscreens protect your skin from the sun by deflecting or blocking the sun's rays, while chemical sunscreens work by absorbing the sun's rays into the skin or scattering the ray .There are also hybrid sunscreens that contain both physical and chemical sunscreen actives. Physical sunscreens are less irritating to the skin and id rather my ss deflect the ray rather then absorb it.
A good physical ss is hard to come by because the two active ingredients that go into a phsical sunscreen titanium oxide and zinc oxide tend to give a heavy white cast and tends to be unblendable (sidenote: in a phyiscal sunscreen you do want ZINC OXIDE because it covers UVA and UVB whereas titanium oxide only covers UVB). Chemical sunscreens active ingredients are Octylcrylene, Avobenzone, Octinoxate, etc basically any active ingredient that is not titaium oxide or zinc oxide. It is difficult to find a physical ss that sinks into your skin without a trace. The clarins sinks in beautifully and quickly at that. This sunscreen is good year round, and in the summer I find that all I need in the morning is a good seerum and this ss. It's good for oily skin like mine, and even provides the lightest trace of moisturization which is great. a bottle lasts about 6-7 months depending on the seasons bc in the summer i def need more.
Compared to the shiseido, shiseido ss is a bit more matte and doesnt have that moisturizing property that clarins has in my opinion.

My conclusion, is that this is the *perfect* physical sunscreen out there whether you wear makeup or not. Would tots repurchase;)

17 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No