November 23, 2014 | 1558 users online

Sunscreen - Clarins - UV PLUS Protective Day Screen SPF 40

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/26/2014 7:38:00 PM More reviews by onitacy

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Love love love this. I have rosacea and meds I take mean no sun (not a problem for me). The chemical sunscreens break me out horribly and irritate my skin. Titanium dioxide and zinc oxide are gentle physical sun barriers. This is watery which I like a lot, better than those thick creams and only a little is needed. I like the tinted Light version because I then don't have to use a foundation, just some concealer. Of course, I moisturize first with avene rich optimale. If I need more coverage (for the redness) I add a few drops of CG smoothers foundation. Works like a charm. I look dewy rather than matte. Stays most of the day. Oh, I only use this on my face, the physical block creams are okay for the body.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/17/2014 11:06:00 AM More reviews by Chinesegirl04

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I like it, It didnt make my face feel greasy.
I finish two bottles of it i thought i liked it. but then i change to aveeno. I didnt broke out like before when i am using the clarins sunscreen. Then i did a research on the titioum dioxide (active ingredients) it cloged pores.

But my sister love it. it didnt broke my sister out.
I will give it a chance back when i finish my aveeno moisterizer/sunscreen which didnt make me broke out much.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/1/2014 11:55:00 AM More reviews by Walko

This is a very light easily absorbed sunscreen that offers broad spectrum protection.Spf 40 Just what I wanted.Until I read the ingredients list.It's full of alcohol and it's highly fragranced.Alcohol at this level causes cell death, collagen breakdown and dryness.In other words it's a no goer.What's the point in protecting your skin against the sun( and this product does it well) only to ruin it with this amount of alcohol.There is no point. It's a shame because I really liked the texture of this, but I wouldn't entertain the fragrance either.Also remember that to get the spf ,this has to be applied liberally, so really this is going to be expensive. Skip this one would be my advice. It's not worth the damage it will do,or good value.

13 out of 20 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/20/2014 6:54:00 PM More reviews by AnEnglishRose

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I had no idea lightweight sunscreens existed before buying this product! This is amazing, truly! Worth the money!

I have been wearing Neutrogena spf 100+ every day for the past 6 years (I freckle and burn a lot if I don't), and I'd grown accustomed to something rather heavy, oily, and thick. This was never a problem until I realized it was irritating my skin and causing redness. So I did some research for brands that carried around spf 50 that were also good for the skin. I almost tried Dermalogica before realizing the reviews weren't good enough to splurge on their suncare line. That's when I found Clarins :)

The texture is like water. It's light and runny when you put it in your hands. It melts into your skin when you pat it in. The smell is light and fresh. It absorbs quickly. And then you're done and you neither smell the typical sunblock smell nor feel like a grease-slick when you touch your face. So you get all the benefits of great sun protection with none of the negatives (except for the price, of course). I've recently become a Clarins convert and I am so in love with their products! They're supposedly all natural with all kinds of goodies for the skin (though I still need to double check that this is in fact accurate).

I never thought I'd spend $45 bucks on a small bottle of sunscreen, but I think this is worth the splurge, especially since what you wear underneath your makeup affects its application and longevity. Since I'd never go without sunscreen and I haven't found a sunblock in the $10-$20 range that sits well with my skin, I'd happily repurchase this sunscreen in the future.

**Also to note, on Clarins website they have quick video tutorials on how to apply their products properly. I've read in other reviews that the products don't always sit well when applied incorrectly, so that's worth a look.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/15/2014 1:08:00 PM More reviews by savyy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is the best mineral sunscreen I've tried. I've used this for a few years now. It's so light and blends nicely--it has a liquid consistency but dries soft matte. It doesn't make me dry or oily. I find it also makes my tinted moisturizer/foundation look better when this is underneath. I just don't like that it has fragrance but I love this for so many other reasons I'll put up with that.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2014 1:07:00 AM More reviews by arlenerubio27

This is one of my go to products.... I used the Neutragena sunscreen for a long time then I found this product. It is amazing light and absorbs quickly. It doesn't separate with my makeup or other routine products. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!!! I only use a dime size per day on my face and neck.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/30/2013 8:56:00 AM More reviews by maliciousdelicious

I got a couple of small sample tubes of this with another purchase. The first tube went off fine - I had no problems although I still prefer Chanel UV Essentiel. I must have gone back to the second tube after about a year. Unfortunately, it made my entire face totally red and look like it was heading for a major break-down. I don't know if it was spoiled (I do live in a hot climate) but didn't expect it to disintegrate so soon. It looked fine coming out of the tube.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/25/2013 6:34:00 PM More reviews by GwenNYC

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I've yet to find a moisturizer with SPF 40 or higher that's any good. They're generally oily and greasy, and made me feel completely unattractive. This SPF is fantastic for a multitude of reasons. First, you can wear it alone or over your favorite moisturizer. When I'm in high humidity like NYC during the summer, I wear this on its own. In colder weather I wear this over my usual moisturizer and it works like a charm. It's non scented and lightweight, making it ideal to use in any situation.

The bottle design is brilliant in its simplicity. The tapered tip controls the flow of the lotion, and prevents excess from pouring out all over the place. No wasted product or mess! When you shake the bottle before use, you can hear the ball/mixing mechanism to ensure the lotion is properly mixed prior to application. Love this! I've been using this for years, and can't imagine ever being without it.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 8/13/2013 5:38:00 AM More reviews by Itsheatherlol

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This works great as an SPF primer for combination to oily skin. It's not really broken me out and goes on very easily and dries quickly too. Makeup glides on effortlessly on top and doesn't cause the dreaded balling as some primers can do. What I don't like about this product is that it's fragranced which irritates most skin types in one way or another and contains no antioxidants or skin boosting benefits. Not to mention it's very expensive for what it is. To get the 40 SPF you do have to apply this liberally and given the cost vs how tiny this bottle is (about the size of my thumb, by the way), I can't see how this could be preferred over say City Block (sheer) by Clinique or other brands. It's cheaper, better for the skin and you get more of the product too. I will continue to use this until the bottle runs out but I will not be repurchasing unfortunately.

Pros:
Goes on very easily
Doesn't ball up with foundation
Didn't break me out
High SPF
Not oily

Cons:
Fragranced
No skin care boosting ingredients such as anti-oxidants
Tiny bottle, not a lot of product yet really, REALLY expensive
Product has to be applied liberally to achieve full SPF40 - who can afford to do that with this product on a regular basis

Bottom line is this is a very average SPF to be worn under makeup (if desired) but for what it is, it really isn't worth the hefty price tag.

Ingredients:
Cyclopentasiloxane, Water, Polyglyceryl-3, Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Corn Starch Modified, Alcohol, Aluminum Hydroxide Stearic Acid, Sodium Chloride, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Phenoxyethanol, PEG/PPG 20/15 Dimethicone, Tocopheryl Acetate, Fragrance, Hydroxy-Propyltrimonium Maltodextrin Crosspolymer, Disodium EDTA, Butylene Glycol, Glyercin, Pentylene Glycol, Cucumis Melo (Melon) Fruit Extract, Biosaccharide Gum 4, Thermus, Thermophillus Ferment, Lapsana Communis Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract, Camellia Sinesis Leaf Extract, Potassium Sorbate, Rhodiola Rosea Root Extract, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Benzyl Salicylate, Geraniol, Citronellel, Benzyl Benzoate, Butyl-phenyl Methylpropional, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Limonene, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/6/2013 12:37:00 PM More reviews by Henab

On my fifth bottle of this. Every other spf seems to break me out. It would have been perfect if it had broader spf uva protection. The price is expensive but for me a bottle last a long time, around 4 months.