July 24, 2014 | 1784 users online

Brows - Maybelline - Expert Eyes Twin Brow & Eye Pencils in Charcoal Grey [DISCONTINUED]

• Price: $

This product has been discontinued

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/18/2007 11:29:00 PM More reviews by jiney17

This may work for you if you have brown hair of any type. The color is a light taupe with very slight grey tones, but I found it was still a touch too warm for me (I have black hair and my eyebrow hairs are also black, but fine and sparse so my brows really look like an ashy gray. Thus, I can't use true black brow products or anything that is noticeably brown). This is still pretty neutral, but on me it's a touch redder than my Kevyn Aucoin brow pencil (which is deeper and darker and cooler). I was hoping to find a cheap alternative to my KA and Paul & Joe brow pencils (the latter is the only one I've found to make a light gray brow pencil) but this doesn't quite make the cut, solely due to the color.

The pencil lead is really hard and you have to really press down in order to lay down some color. That makes this dreadful for eyelining, but perfect if you have fine eyebrows that need a light fill-in. The hardness of the pencil makes it difficult to over-apply and end up with scary beetle brows by mistake. Plus, the hardness of the lead means that the lasting power is better than with creamier brow products (if you have oily or combination skin). These pencils are so cheap and portable and this color is so natural-looking that I'd recommend any brunette--who doesn't have completely cool-toned brows--try it at least once.
    continued >>

rated 4 of 5 on 4/13/2007 5:16:00 PM More reviews by CaseyKane

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

i am cross-posting this to the general product review and the review of the specific color "charcoal grey".

I have to say this is a very mixed review...

my mom was using the dark brown for a long time and i was horrified by the red red color. do not get this color unless you are looking for a nice auburn shade.

HOWEVER, when doing a Google search for "ash brown eyebrow pencils” I was directed to a review here on MUA about the “Charcoal Grey” color of this product, and the reviews were raving about it. Basically, it’s very much a medium ash brown, NOT grey as indicated.

Based on the reviews I went and got the pencils (there are two in the pack!) and have tried them for two days now. I have light neutral beige skin, medium brown hair that’s losing nearly all of it’s red tones, and appears sort of like a “light black” if that makes any sense, and matching “grey-brown-black eyebrows, which I have over-trimmed and like to shape and fill in the interim.

My verdict: I recommend anyone who is looking for a very ash pencil to see the MUA reviews of this color and give it a shot, with these pros/cons:

Pros:
    1. ash color, incredible… barely any red at all, but not so cool that it’s grey.
    2. CHEAP!!!
    3. small, fits easily in my makeup organizer
    4. wooden pencil: I personally LIKE the fact that this product has minimal container waste
    5. really stays on, not smudge-prone, and virtually waterproof

IMPORTANT CON:

1. really hard pencil, as others have stated, I cannot imagine anyone using this as an eyeliner UNLESS you did the old junior-high trick of heating it with a lighter or match first, which would work well and probably stay put all day. I am going to try heating it a little before I use it on my eyebrows tomorrow, and report back (if I remember!) so if you are willing to spend a little effort getting this on, it’s a winner.

ALSO TRY: Jordana brand kohl eyeliner in Taupe. I don’t know if a lot of places carry this line, it’s one of those really great inexpensive brands like wet n wild, but I think my mom got hers at CVS in new york. This is very similarly ash brown, but it’s softer-textured. The bad side of that is that it does smudge more readily, but that can be amended to some extent by making sure you put it on very dry skin and powder over it, and maybe reapply over the powder? It’s sort of down to these two for me fighting it out over being my HG eyebrow pencils. NOTE: The Jordana is nice as a pencil eyeshadow, too, especially once it gets warmed up, so I can see having both in my bag at the same time.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/2/2007 8:10:00 PM More reviews by abbeyoh

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've been using this for years! Goof proof eyebrow pencil. Doesn't smudge, and the charcoal gray is perfect (I have black hair, but black pencils tend to look harsh).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/15/2007 9:28:00 PM More reviews by stellina

What a find! MAC discontinued my favorite Brunette eye pencil a while ago & I've been buying Ben Nye's Taupe pencil since, but since it's a theatrical brand it's a little hard to find. There is a costume shop in my neighborhood that sells it, but why bother when Maybelline is sold in every drugstore? Charcoal Grey is a misnomer because it's a taupe or grey brown shade, perfect for dark brunettes because it's neutral, i.e. no red tones like most of the "dark brown" brow stuff out there. Dirt cheap & still in those cute little red pencils that my mom used to have (I love nostalgia). Also, the texture is quite hard, which I like because it lasts & you can sharpen them to a fine point. If you're dark-haired, grab this!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/18/2006 12:57:00 AM More reviews by deecee306

I've used this product since I was 16, now 26. I switched from dark brown to charcoal grey with the ever changing color of my hair. i'm asian and have dark brown to black hair. i've used charcoal grey to blend in lightly into my eyebrows. gives me a nice arch with a good sharpening. I took one lippie off since the pencil breaks easily and when sharpen too often at one use. however, the pencils are inexpensive at any drugstores.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/17/2006 2:11:00 PM More reviews by GimpyPoop

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This product makes me nostalgic! Back when I started wearing make up at the ripe age of 14, I had to rely on this for eyeliner since my mother bought it to fill in her brows and I would just steal it from her. Well since then I've discovered eyeliners that are a great deal less harsh on the eyes (boy did I have to TUG!) and consistently have better pigmentation and staying power. What was I thinking?! Nonetheless, I still have a trusty pencil of this to fill in my brows whenever I have a tweezing mishap. The color is perfect for my black Asian brows and looks natural. As aforementioned, the staying power isn't that great, but it's good for a quick fix and my eyebrows don't mind the tugging! And hello, this stuff is cheap so I don't mind too much that it's not exactly the best in quality. I usually do prefer to use my Stila Gray Smudge Pot though, to be perfectly honest.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/1/2006 10:36:00 PM More reviews by fireflyglow

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

My hair color is naturally very dark brown, but my eyebrows are more like a light black. This is the only thing for eyebrows that I've tried that has ever worked. I've tried powders, pencils, waxes, gels... everything looked too fake. I got the Dark Brown at first, but it had far too much of a red undertone. Then I tried the Charcoal Grey. I absolutely adore it! If I'm in an absolute rush in the morning, I can put on a few products and walk out the door: clear lipgloss, undereye concealer, mascara, face powder, and my trusty Charcoal Grey pencil. It's so dirt cheap, and you get two for the price! I've been using it for years. I've tried other products to see if they would work better, but I keep going back to this one. If you have very dark brown hair and need something for your brows, try this. I swear, you won't regret it! continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 5/3/2006 11:37:00 AM More reviews by ventura

I can easily imagine these twin pencils lasting for years. It's the perfect neutral cheap pencil out there. I simply can't imagine why anyone w/ darker colored brows would not like this... beyond me. Charcoal Grey has got to be the most ingenius color to date for those of us that have dark brown to black brows.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/17/2005 10:16:00 PM More reviews by TeeCube

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have used these for so many years, the best for brows (I have light-medium brown hair) and when hit with a lighter (for a second) they make excellent budge-proof eyeliner! The grey and blonde are the best colors because they're NEUTRAL!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/17/2005 9:51:00 PM More reviews by Ms_Bobbalina

DISCONTINUED! The only place to find it is on eBay, and they're asking about $12 per double pack. Sadly, it was OMG, I keep -trying- to buy better (more expensive) brow products. I try gels and powders and waxy stuff. But I always come back to this pencil. It gives the best control, is amazingly natural looking and is easier to use than a doorknob. My HG!