MAC #209 Eye liner

4.3

on 9/27/2011 10:41:00 AM

Hair: Black, Other, Fine

I received 209SE as a free gift for set I purchased from Mac. I learn that SE or special editions are machine made whereas the regular brushes are hand made and better quality. Nonetheless, this is still fantastic liner brush, a breeze to use with fluidline and totally surpass Sigma's version.

The bristles are very tapered and pointed at the end, making it very easy to get a thin line, or a thick line if you so wishes. Sigma's version is alot thicker, I never used it before as I do not like how thick the bristles are. With Sigma's 209, it would be difficult to get a thin line.

One thing I don't like about it is that the plastic cover is really cheap and tend to break. I've asked Mac for replacements but were told they do not have them. I've now used scotch tape all over it and really hated how it looks. Mac should make a black cover or at least a better quality cover for it.

on 7/5/2011 12:42:00 PM

I just recently switched from liquid liner to gel liner. I am Aisnan so my eyes look good with relatively thicker lines and wings at the end of my eyes. I have no problem using pointed tip but first tried angled brush that come with the liner. I didn't like it because the angled brush doens't control the curve very well. Then I got MAC210 for its pointed tip however, it was too thin so I need lots of strokes to get the final finished look. Finally I found MAC209, which works perfect for my purpose. and it feels harder than 209 so it is even easier to control. Definitely will repurchase if this one is broken but fortunately MAC's brushes last very long!:)

on 6/18/2011 2:03:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Not my favorite, to be honest. I liked it for detail work before, but not so much now that I have a smaller, thinner, cheaper, and angled eyeliner brush.

It's a spare, one that I toss in my purse to touch up with. But not HG material, for sure. Very "meh".

on 5/3/2011 5:04:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I bought this brush with the sole purpose of using it with a gel liner.
Its to BIG. Its really tricky to get a nice thin line with this brush.

However i do like it as a lip brush.
But i would not repurchase for eyeliner i would try the 210 as it is thiner.
Its a nice quality as with all mac brushes and i do like the brush just not for the purpose i pechased it for.

on 5/3/2011 1:10:00 PM

This makes it much easier to get a thin, winged line with gel liner, but it still takes some practice. I prefer this over an angled brush for a gel, but I line quite frequently with just a dark shadow color and for that I use an angled brush.

MAC brushes are great quality and I haven't had shedding or loss of shape from washing, but they're quite expensive.

on 4/21/2011 5:47:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I think this pencil is good for applying gel or wet liners. Its easy too choose if you want the line too be thin or thick. The only downside is that its maybe a little bit too fat if you want a really thin line, but for me it works.
Sometimes it also gets kinda frizzy, but then you just have to wash it and the frizzyness goes away.

on 4/1/2011 3:54:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Finally a tool that gives me the control I need with gel eyeliners. I went through the Bobbi Brown brush (useless, don't buy this) and the MAC 266 (good but hard to do a wing). This brush enables me to create the perfect wing and perfectly placed so I don't spend most of my time swabbing and correcting. It is a deceptively simple brush that is perfectly cut to do the job. Well worth the price since it will give you a fabulously professional finish in no time. And we're so into that!

on 3/5/2011 5:15:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

The 209 is a good brush; it's just not the best for *me.*

I'm disabled, with the use of only one hand, so I have to line my left eye with my right hand.

Therefore, it is absolutely essential that I use makeup tools that will maximize my chances of success.

All that to say: The 209, while a really good brush, makes too thick of a line for me; I have trouble using it to get my liner right into the lashline. I prefer the 210 for a super thin line every time.

If you like a thicker line and/or are very deft with gel eyeliner, the 209 may work great for you.

However, if you prefer a brush that virtually cannot fail to give you a very thin line, the 210 may be your best choice.

on 2/26/2011 8:06:00 AM

it's my first MAC brush and it's great!
the only eyeliner that work for me is liquidlast, and unfortunately it has crappy brush so this brush really help
it's easy to work with, i'll surely repurchase again, but they say MAC's brush will last you 10 years or more with great care, so i hope i'll never need to buy it again

on 1/24/2011 7:39:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is a really great brush! I'm a bit clumsy and have trouble sometimes with applying eyeliner, so for over a year I've opted for Coastal Scents' bent eyeliner brush, so I could have a better view. I bought the 209 on a whim last week (taking advantage of MAC's free shipping), and I LOVE IT. I've put the CS brush up for swap!

Popular Makeup Brushes