December 17, 2014 | 1715 users online

Sunscreen - Shiseido - Extra Smooth Sun Protection Cream SPF 36 [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2011 8:55:00 AM More reviews by katieqr0918

I thought I had reviewed this, but I guess I didn't... this is such an HG for me that I don't know why I ever stray.... I have been using Elta MD for the past couple of months and I really like it too, but today, I pulled my Shiseido back out and used it and it really runs circles around all over sunscreens for the face..I just love this stuff.... NEVER makes my combo/oily tzone skin shiny... lasts all day and even works as a primer.... Elta MD is now second choice... nothing beats Shiseido sunscreen for me... nothing. I don't wear it on my body as it's too expensive for that... but a tube will easily last me nearly a year using it on my face and neck only. So, it's worth the 30 or so bucks it costs, and then some. For performance like this, I would pay twice that without hesitation.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/24/2011 10:50:00 PM More reviews by bebexlove

This is my first tube of this sunscreen but it definitely is a keeper. I also used the lotion version and absolutely love that one as well. It's very easy to put on my face and leaves a nice matte-smooth finish. Doesn't feel oily or greasy which I had when sunscreens do so. I don't feel it leaves any kind of white cast on which is a plus. Definitely something I will be using all year long.. maybe alternate with the lotion version in the summer. (=

rated 1 of 5 on 4/29/2010 10:14:00 AM More reviews by Pbokhors

I really do not understand why this product receives so many good reviews - it was actually the reason I bought it without trying in the store. In Europe, the SPF is 30 instead of 36. This product made my face so white, i looked like a Geisha Girl !! It was really scary so going outside with this stuff on your face would made some chidren scream of horror !! Even washing it off with soap and water was a nightmare _ I could hardly take it off my face. Never again will i purchase a Shisedio suncare product. I might use it only for a masquerade.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/10/2010 2:11:00 AM More reviews by tempalina

I saw this at TJ Maxx when it was on sale so I decided to give it a try. I was very adamant because sunscreens always break me out. But surprisingly, this doesn't! This is the only sunscreen I can wear that doesn't break me out because it doesn't turn me into an oil slick. Would definitely repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2010 6:48:00 AM More reviews by Hothead

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Best sunscreen products for the face and body.

I have light skin with a tendency to spot -- this is the only product that protects my skin... when I have forgotten to apply, I mess up my skin.

Highly recommended.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2010 5:31:00 AM More reviews by hwnpunch

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have been searching a long time for a good sunscreen for my face that would not break me out or make me look greasy all day. It seems like drug store brands like neutrogena that are bearable in that area fall short in the actual sun protection department unless you want to have to reapply that mess every hour which I do not. I saw great reviews for Extra Smooth on Sephora but kept trying less expensive products because I thought $30 was a little out of control for 2 ounces of sunscreen. Luckily I came across a stash of these at my local TJ Max for $15. I bought one to try and this stuff is awesome. I'll be buying out their entire small supply later today at that price. When you first apply it feels similar to a normal sunscreen but lighter and less greasy and it absorbs or dries down quickly with no white residue. I apply it generously and this leaves a nice matte but not dry looking finish, almost dewy as another poster said. Best of all after 6 hours I dont have to blot or use powder to touch up shine at all. I have combo skin with an oily t-zone and have purchased dozens of products over the years to prevent or ward off shine. I never thought that a sunscreen of all things would get the job done. Unless my skin suddenly reacts badly to this product I will GLADLY hand out $30 for this sunscreen when my discount stash runs out.
*Update* While this product in itself will not break me out you need to use a light oil (I use kukui or camelia) to remove this before washing. Once it's on it's really on there for the day and dirt and grime can really accumulate if you don't remove this completely. The extra step is actually better for your skin too.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/19/2010 12:20:00 AM More reviews by nicurly

HG status!! I love this product. It does not break me out and actually makes my skin look dewy not oily under make-up. I use this in the winter months almost everyday, alternating with Olay Complet Sensitive spf 15 on the days I am not outside too much. I use the lotion in the warmer months. The highter spf's caused minor irritation for me and my derm said that b/c I am a ddd, I don't need the higher protection. Only downfall is that I have to let it sink in b/c it makes my skin slightly purple.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/23/2010 10:47:00 AM More reviews by rp1017

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have never been a fan of Shiseido sunscreen as the ones I used in the past caused dryness, however, I have been having issues again with my current favorite sunscreen, Sofina, and wanted to find something else to try. Sofina does not have an expiration date and I wonder if my bottles go bad, as I note that they start to smell bad. I read the reviews on MUA and took another chance on Shiseido and chose the Extra Smooth Sun Protection Cream SPF 36 since this was not one I used before and so far am really liking this ....... this does not cause my face dryness, smells pleasant, keeps me protected and does not clash with my moisturizer (no rolled up balls, YEAH.) I am glad that I took another chance on Shiseido and thanks to MUA for the great reviews on this product.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/21/2009 7:02:00 PM More reviews by candy_hunter

I really hope this will put a stop to my quest for the perfect sunscreen. This offers great protection (SPF 36, Zinc Oxide and Octinoxate), feels great on my face (not heavy and feels fresh), and long-lasting (this did not wear off after a 1-hr intense boxing class).
About people breaking out from this product, beware of how you are removing this. Afterall, it is a "very water-resistant" (as said on the tube) sunscreen. It has to be removed with a powerful makeup remover (think of this like waterproof mascara). That's why this sun protection line from Shiseido also has a cleansing oil. I always use cleansing oil to remove sunscreen and makeup first, then follow with regular cleanser.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2009 4:38:00 PM More reviews by wiseowl

If only we had half lippie scoring, I'd make this four and a half. Am very pleased with this product, way better on a lot of fronts compared to La
Roche Posay Anthelios. No greasiness, none of the usual sunscreen smell(there's a slight, pleasant smell on application that fades quickly, but it's not the usual sunscreen smell), no white cast, and no balling. Also, no stinging or exacerbating my mild rosacea. I was concerned about it being a "cream", but doesn't feel heavy and it spreads really well. Leaves a soft, moisturizing feeling, not too moist or heavy, that I think might be nice in terms of primers for people who wear more makeup regularly than I do. Also, by the amount I use(and I'm not stingy applying sunscreen), I can tell this stuff will last me way longer than La Roche Posay.
The only reason I'm taking a lippie off is the price(I made a point of getting a bargain on ebay, but even with that, I wish it could be a bit cheaper) and also I'm not sure how it fares with people with more oily/acne prone skin--even really great sunscreens like this one can sometimes be tricky for the more oily/acne prone skin.
If it wasn't for the price, I'd probably have it at a five. Way prefer this over La Roche Posay, the quantity seems more generous and the texture doesn't require blotting papers afterwards. So, to any people trying to decide between this or La Roche Posay for the first time, I'd say first try out Shiseido. Not only do I like the texture better, I've found it's way easier to find online bargains for Shiseido than La Roche Posay. Not to mention, if Shiseido doesn't work for you, I suspect this would be happily snatched up fairly quickly on the MUA swap by someone. I think I'll pretty much stick to Shiseido from now on in terms of sun protection. Also, really like that the SPF is a decent level; I know that SPF isn't the only thing to consider, but it's nice when it's a decent level for both a super active day outdoors or a more regular day.