September 18, 2014 | 1724 users online

Scrubs - Origins - Modern Friction

rated 5 of 5 on 5/29/2013 7:15:00 PM More reviews by Neelaaaa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

**I have combination skin with very very slight oil on my temples and nose.Everything else is normal skin and not too dry or oily. I usually just say my skin is normal but wanted to include that I have a lot of blackhead on my nose. They usually arent extremely noticable but I apply makeup with those magnifying mirrors and just get too self conscience about it.Lol

I recieved a sample of the Modern Friction scrub after a free facial at my local Origins retail store!! After that I ended up purchasing it online (compare prices when buying from the internet and stores.I decided online because I'm a sample whore and found a great deal that came with a full size eye cream)

Anyways, this scrub/dermabrasion/whatever this is, works amazing! Now I've tried many exfoliators in my short 20 years of living and always come back to St. Ives Apricot Scrub...(before discovering Origins). The SA that did my facial mentioned how ST ives can get stuck in your pores and is too rough which made sense but I didn't jump on the train until doing my own research first.Turns out its pretty bad in terms of a scrub and it's gentleness.Although St. Ives has salicylic acid in it and this doesn't, theres plenty of natural/other ingredients that help clear blemishes as well in Modern Friction.

I love it!! I do not have sensitive skin at all but do feel a cooling tingle when puting on my skin.Feel good I guess? lol. The smell is really nice if you like earthy scents.I know I sure do. It's like lime and basil and some sort of other cirtus in it. I apply it dry and spread it as much as I can before it dries.I add a drop of water to help it reliquify and begin scrubbing. I got this weird rubber face scrubber that came with a loreal face wash and it works great for this. It burns like CRAZY if you happen to get it in your eyes when washing off. This is one of the reasons why I just apply it before a shower and let it rinse clean off my face without even touching it. (I shut my eyes tight and let the pressure from the water rinse it off).

Update: 7/30/13
I hate to discourage any potential buyers, but the awesome effects of this scrub fades the more you use it. If you rotate it with other good quality face products, your skin won't have a chance to get used to it and will refresh itself giving a nice glow. This scrub is more of a cleanser when I want a deeper clean since the exfoliating beads are a total joke. I miss my St.Ives scrub because it left me with a deep clean feeling but I will stick to this since it's gentler!

Update: 9/24/13
I still have tons of this stuff. It works average and I don't even use it that much anymore. I wanted this to be that one awesome product , but I will keep searching! By the way, the size that I purchased online is the travel size. So it's been months and I still have a good amount of product left. I will not be repurchasing at this point, just so I can try other products

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/5/2013 11:14:00 AM More reviews by Monjo

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Love this scrub. It smells heavenly and very rejuvenating. I wish it was less expensive. Other than steep price it is great product but there are cheaper replacements.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/1/2013 7:43:00 PM More reviews by megansi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

LOVE IT! I am new to the exfoliating game but after an appointment with an esthetician I was advised to start! I tried a sample of this and was promptly hooked. It leaves your skin feeling so smooth and clean! It has also helped with oil and breakouts, imagine that! ;) It has a subtle scent that isn't overpowering. It doesn't feel heavy with chemicals (even though it probably is). I am a believer in this product.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/27/2013 9:06:00 PM More reviews by wandaana

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I honestly felt like my face was gonna burn off while using this scrub. I have a couple blemishes and I could practically feel them inflaming and turning even worse. I scrubbed my face for about 30 seconds (that's as long as I could stand it), and couldn't open my eyes for like 5 min. I had rinse with cold water in order for the burning sensation to go away. As I touch my face now, I WILL admit that it's softer and my pores seem to have decreased in size, but dear god I don't ever want to go through with scrubbing my face with this ever again. There are MANY gentler scrubs out there that do the exact same thing and don't feel like chilli pepper on my face.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/8/2013 12:15:00 AM More reviews by Xexuxa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Black

I love this product!! I purchased it about 7 months ago and still haven't used up the entire tube. You get a decent amount of product in the tube, which is good as I was taken aback by the price at first. The SA at the counter did a demo of the product on my hand and I really liked the result so I made the purchase.

This product really exfoliates the skin well without causing irritation. A lot of other exfoliation products I have tried didn't have the right texture to really do the job because I have oily skin. I use once to twice a week and I have noticed a real difference in my skin. I would purchase this product again and recommend it to anyone with less sensitive skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2013 5:58:00 PM More reviews by cameobear

This is now one of my all time favorite scrubs! I've suffered from a horrible bout of cystic acne for the past year, and I'm just now recovering and adjusting my skin care routine to accommodate my new normal, slightly sensitive skin.

I have a really high cell turnover on my face, and that combined with the flaky skin I have from previous acne treatments means I exfoliate A LOT. I use my clarisonic nightly, which has helped a lot with the every day flakiness, but I can definitely feel a significant buildup, especially around my nose and cheeks, every few days.

Despite needing exfoliation, my skin is definitely tender, so I need something gentle, that's still effective. Many other scrubs I've tried are either wayyy too abrasive, or so gentle they don't do anything. This scrub is a perfect combination. I put it on my face dry as recommended, and scrub gently for around 30 seconds, or until it forms a thick paste. Then I hop in the shower, add a little water, and it works into a great lather that cleanses my face and takes away all the dead skin.

I first tried this as a sample from Sephora, which I would definitely recommend if you can since this is pricy. The little sample tub lasted me about two weeks, during which time my boyfriend picked it up for me around Valentine's Day after hearing me rave. It is pricy, but the bottle is HUGE, and you really only need a small dab to get the job done. I've been using my tube since Valentines Day about twice a week, and I haven't made a noticeable dent; I will update to let you know how long it lasts!

One downside: be VERY careful about getting this around your eyes and nostrils, it burns! As long as you're cautious, it's a great scrub.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/9/2013 7:37:00 PM More reviews by sprite26

This scrub is the BEST!!! One of my can't-live-without-it products and I've felt that way since the first time I used it, which was about a year ago now.
When I use this on dry skin (my preferred method) I get a nice mechanical exfoliation from the scrubby granules. I do this for about a minute, the product is really thick and paste-like so there's no problem with it running all over the place. Then I add a splash or two of water and OMG that's when the magic happens. At this point the scrub turns lathery and sudsy, and it's the lather that eats up and dissolves all my dead skin cells and flakies. Completely.
Leaves me with a smooth, bright complexion every single time. It's strong stuff so I only use this occasionally, maybe once or twice a month at the most. Those with sensitive skin should probably avoid using this dry, it's probably too much.
This is the only scrub I use now. I've tried Clinique, Laura Mercier, ExfoliKate, Remede, MAC Volcanic, many others. Nothing else compares. Try it and see for yourself!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/11/2012 2:03:00 AM More reviews by asaksa

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

This is a very nice scrub. I use it 2x a week. Wetting the face and using my Olay rotating brush to evenly work the product on my face and neck avoiding eyes. Then I wash it off. The eyes can burn if not careful.

My skin is soft and smooth now.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/10/2012 12:28:00 AM More reviews by yuenloklok

I have sensitive skin, so I mix water into the scrub before applying. I do not scrub this stuff in and simply massage it everywhere on my face. I was hesitant to do this at first, but now I would say this method of application works.

Despite the price, this is not a miracle product. I still have to watch my diet (no fried and sugary food) and sleeping habits (before 12mn) to maintain a relatively clear skin. However, I'm willing to look past this since my skin feels baby soft afterwards.

Edit: It broke me out, so bad. Down to 3 stars because it does what it claims to do.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/1/2012 6:49:00 AM More reviews by franzvonstuck

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Iīm not the greatest fan of manual peelings and rather use enzyme peelings like Kaneboīs silk peel powder.
My skin is combo-acne-prone dehydrated with a tendency to look dull. While my skin is pale, I also struggle with melasma and an uneven skintone.
I was given a deluxe sample of modern friction by a SA I know and she told me to try it, because she liked it a lot.
I checked the ingredients first and anyone whoīs allergic to plant extracts or doesnīt react good towards a strong concentration of vitamin c should be careful. You might get an allergic reaction or a burning feeling.
I tried the peeling wet as I didnīt want the peeling to be too harsh.
The peeling comes in a tub and is a thick white paste with grains in it. Smells good as always with Origins like lemon and plants
I put the peeling in my hand (quite a generous amount) and added some water. Then I put it on my skin and massaged it in. After that, I put more water on my face and lathered it more up. I went on with that slowly putting more and more water on until I splashed my face with loads of water. The peeling takes some time to be removed.
And accidentally, while splashing my face, some of it came to my eyes. Ouch. As the other reviewers said, be really careful beacuse the vitamin c burns like hell in your eyes.
The result was at first a skin with some red spots the immediately went away.
I didnīt react allergic and my skin can take higher concentrations of antioxodants as vitamin c.
After that, I put a calming and moisturizing mask on (Nuxe or Avene), but be careful that the mask just gives plenty of moisture without further "pushing" the skin. My skin had the slightest afterburn and felt thisty. I wanted my skin to calm down and soak up some moisture with the mask,which was exactly what happened. The slight afterburn just stayed all day and after the mask, I put on my Avene rich moisturizer.
My skin looks good and feels babysoft after the peeling.
The longlasting effects are to be seen, but I will update about it.
I really wouldnīt advise tho use this mask every day, because this is a strong peeling and your skin can just go into overload from the excessice peeling.
Many reviewers just used this peeling too often and I couldnīt help but wonder, how much damage such a strong peeling used every single day can cause to your skin. Can destroy your natural skin barrier and skin balance, cause a lack of moisture or oils in the skin and broken capillaries. So, less is more with any peeling, I would say.
In fact, I would say, use it once a week, maybe even less often.
And you have to use sunscreen after the peeling, because ths skin is sensitized to sun exposure.
For myself, I would use it once or twice a month when I want a peeling with a little more va-va-voom than my usual mild enzyme peeling. And I have skin, that kreatinizes too much, so that should tell you, that this peeling is tough stuff.
Many people with sensitive skin or allegies wonīt be able to use this at all.
I suggest to try and get a sample, because this is not suitable for everyone.
For me, this works as an extra for my skin from time to time and is a great additon to my usual mild peeling.
Update 03112012: This is a big no and I changed from 5 lippies to 1 lippie. This gave me a red dry spot in my left cheek and it proves, yes, you have to be careful with that peeling. Pampered my skin with a rich moisturizer and some eight hour cream and thank god the spot is gone.Needless to say I wonīt buy a full size and I recommed to be cautious with this peeling.