September 30, 2014 | 1782 users online

Top/Base Coats - Nailtek - Foundation II - Ridge-filling

rated 3 of 5 on 11/21/2011 2:12:00 PM More reviews by duchy13

Does the job, but I believe there are much better base coats out there that have nail hardeners etc in them. Would repurchase but at a much cheaper price.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/24/2011 2:04:00 PM More reviews by georgia21

Ridge fillers add a little more strength to my thin and breaking nails, but this product didn't help at all, and after a few weeks my nails began to break again. It contains formaldehyde, which is drying, so that could be the cause.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/14/2011 3:15:00 PM More reviews by FiestyFemme

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I used up my first bottle several months ago, and I didn't repurchase at the time. My nails were in great condition when I was done with the bottle and have remained so until I started my new job a month ago. My new job requires me to wash my hands constantly with anti-bacterial soap and use hand sanitizer, and I've noticed my nails are breaking and peeling like there is no tomorrow. It's made it difficult to wear nail polish because it either stains where the nail has peeled (I like dark colors) or just chips off. I remembered how nice my nails looked while I was using the NailTek Foundation II, so I purchased another bottle. It seems expensive at $11 a bottle (at Ulta), but this one bottle will last me the better part of a year, even with painting my nails 2-3 times per week. I'm so glad Foundation II works so well for me! If not, I'd be in a real pickle right about now. If you've got weak, peeling nails, this is definitely worth a shot. I was skeptical in the beginning, but I'm definitely a believer now!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/15/2011 2:02:00 PM More reviews by MaddieEvans

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This product made a huge difference for me. My nails just recently started to peel all the time, I even stopped wearing nail polish and moisturized constantly but it didn't help. So I finally bought this online (I live in Canada so I got it from ebeauty.ca for $12, not sure if that if that is a comparable price to other places but I didn't see it anywhere else). I used it by itself at first and then started using it underneath polish, and my nails never peel anymore, it's great.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/31/2011 12:53:00 AM More reviews by juicy70

My nails are naturally weak and peeling - so much that I caved in and got gel nails. That lasted for a couple of months but the nails kept breaking off so I had a manicurist remove them - she actually picked them right off the nail bed, it hurt so much. My nails were a horrible mess afterwards and they hurt terribly if I didn't have a coat of polish on them. I headed to Ulta and the salesgirl told me that Nailtek was the product that she got the most positive feedback on to rebuild post-fake nail disasters.
I started with the Foundation II base coat, then my nail polish and I top it off with a coat of Nailtek Xtra. After 8 weeks my nails are looking really nice - hard to believe how far they've come along. I love The matte adhesive finish of Foundation II - it makes the nail nice and smooth. These days I do 1-2 coats of Foundation II, 2 coats of Essie Delicacy and 1 coat of Nailtek Xtra and my nails look gorgeous. This is my HG base coat from now on; and no more fake nails for me...

rated 5 of 5 on 7/20/2011 1:51:00 AM More reviews by Koo

Great Product!!

It comes in a MATTE formula and dries clear (mostly, a tiny tiny bit smokey).

Great as a base coat. It does fill the ridges and settles into any cracks etc.

This means that any colour nail polish I apply goes on smoothly and doesn't look ridged like my fingernails are.

Also, found out that as a base coat, it makes my colour coat on top last and last for ages. About double the wearing time on any colour applied. :) Me-Likey

Can also be used as a top coat just like Essie's Matte About You (which also looks smokey in the bottle) to give any colour a matte finish effect. The Nailtek matte effect as a top coat lasts longer than Essie, as Essie tends to rub off after a day or two and look like it is wearing thin.

There are also NO flaky bits around the screw thread of the bottle that fall into the polish and make it gross like Essie's Matte about you.

This item was SUPER CHEAP on ebay, $1.25 with only about $5 postage from the US to Oz. Much cheaper than Essie.

Interesting fact: After being very curious about Dr Frankenpolish method of mixing new and interesting colours to create her own individual nail polish colours...I read that she sometimes mixed in 1/4 bottle of this Nailtek Foundation II into a coloured bottle, which made the whole polish have a matte finish all the time! It sounds blah blah, but some of her pics of mixing this matte Nailtek stuff with a high-glitter polish are fantastic (check out the purple one).

And oh yes, I forgot to add it feels healthy on my nails. It just feels healthy, unlike nail polish. And I also have cuticles doing their own thing (I never push back or cut mine coz I believe it's there for a reason), and this Nailtek stuff can be painted over the cuticles right up to the edge of the nail bed, and smooths the whole thing out...looking like you have no messing cuticles.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/10/2011 9:41:00 AM More reviews by Chellemakepeace

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have purchased this product over and over. IF you follow the instructions, I promise your nails will grow stronger and longer. LOVE LOVE LOVE!

rated 1 of 5 on 2/4/2011 1:10:00 AM More reviews by cherzleen

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm in between with this product. I purchased it after reading the review here on MUA. I do agree with most of the reviewers that this products prevents chips waaaaayyy better than OPI basecoat, which i have been using for a long long time. With this, my mani lasts for 5 days and with OPI 3 days max. I love that it dries matte makes it easy to apply the polish on smoothly. I am a fan of red nailpolish, so far my favorite is OPI Affair in Red Square and oh my with this basecoat, my nails stained :(. It doesn't stain when I use OPI basecoat. So, from now on, will be using this basecoat when I'm wearing nude nail polish.

EDIT - After 1 month I realize that my nails have been brittle, I read a few reviews here that it happened to some other people too. My nails chipped so bad and I had to stop wearing nail polish for 1 month or so for it to repair itself. I have half a bottle left, if you live in KL Malaysia, I dont mind a swap.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/31/2011 9:11:00 PM More reviews by hooplehead

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

Received this in a swap as an extra when trading for the Nailtek Strengthener. Used a bit on my toenails, but wasn't really looking for results. Then I experimented with it in my manicures and WOW, what a difference. I used to use the Nailtek strengthener as my base coat and my manicures would have massive chips within the day. With this base coat, the only wear I notice is on the tips (I type a lot.) The difference is night and day. I am extremely pleased with how this has extended the wear of my manicure. Not sure about the strengthening, will post again if I notice a difference.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/9/2011 2:20:00 PM More reviews by maiw

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this after reading all the good reviews. I was hoping this would strengthen my nails because they are prone to breakage. Unfortunately for me, this did not work. I don't think this made my nails break even more, however it certainly did not prevent it from breaking. Although this was the case for me, I gave it two lippies because it seems to be working for my mom. Her nails seem to be strong and her ridges are not visible anymore.