July 28, 2014 | 1792 users online

Cleansers - Erno Laszlo - Sea Mud Soap

rated 5 of 5 on 9/4/2005 9:57:00 AM More reviews by sapphire2005

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have been using this soap for more than 20 years while I have on a rare occasion tried another line, I keep coming back to Laszlo. Why? Because nothing comes close to making my skin look its best as does Erno Laszlo. If you want to try this soap, do yourself a favor and make sure you have your skin properly "clocked" (Laszlo's term for determining your skin type) to make sure this is the right soap for you. Secondly FOLLOW the prescribed cleansing ritual. I firmly believe that much of the negative nonsense written in the reviews of this line are because the users did not have the right products for their skin type or use them for a sufficient length of time in the manner prescribed. If this is the soap for you, (normal to slightly oily) it will leave your skin fresh, clean and radiant. Trust me, many of the so-called beautiful people have known about and used this line for years.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 8/1/2013 5:43:00 PM More reviews by broadbent

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Such a shame this product no longer resembles what it once was. It doesn't seem to have any sea mud in it! It doesn't lather, doesn't smell the same, and doesn't work! It's just not effective any more. What a shame this once iconic, elegant and exclusive brand has lost it's way.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/2/2013 3:35:00 PM More reviews by chaosgreeneyed

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Now here's my HOWL OF DESPAIR! I've been using it for more than 3 years (so this current rebranding is the second I can remember). Unfortunately, it's getting worse and worse... The very first bar I bought immediately plumped and evened my skin, gave a very rich lather and lasted for 6 months! The next one was not as good, but better than any cleanser I tried, so I've became a fan.

I've just received my order from Gesine recently and... the new bar comes with a dish, really stinks, hardly lathers at all and gives NO RESULTS!!! I suppose the plastic dish is really what I've paid my money for?! And you guys at Laszlo just STOP rebranding an expensive but excellent product to a total crap and change the old formula back BEFORE all the loyal customers leave!

PS I'm just scared to try the new cleansing oil and Phelityl creme, are they spoiled too now?

rated 5 of 5 on 9/8/2010 12:09:00 AM More reviews by racheliz13

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Erno Laszlo's Sea Mud Soap has been a gentle, dependable and effective addition to my skincare regimen. My skin is relatively oily, but sensitive and very acne prone. I use this soap at night only, and follow the prescribed Laszlo "spashing technique" as well. It may be less convenient than using other cleansers, but really only takes about 3 minutes or so. For those of us who aren't blessed with naturally problem-free skin, we'll gladly invest 3 minutes daily in anything that helps! I've had problem, acne-prone skin for the last 17 years. While this soap is not a miracle cure, its regular use has helped minimize the acne I do get. And, unlike other products that are geared toward oily or acne-prone skin, actually has a soothing, comforting effect on my skin. After I cleanse with Sea Mud Soap I use a mild toner and a moisturizer with a low dose of salicylic acid. That nighttime routine, combined with using an exfoliating cleanser in the morning (I like Philosophy's Microdelivery Wash), has significantly reduced my acne (by about 80%) and has improved the general condition of my skin. I think that the charcoal in this soap is key to its effectiveness and really does help draw impurities out of the skin, which helps maintain the skin's clarity. Also, charcoal's adsorptive properties are activated and enhanced by heat and steam, which sheds some light on the logic of the splashing ritual with "comfortably hot water." I think Dr. Laszlo was certainly on to something with this soap and his cleansing technique, and the fact that this singular, iconic product has been around for somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 years not only convinced me to try it, but convinced me to give it a chance to make a difference in my skin. I'm glad I stuck with it, and recommend those who are curious to give the travel size bar a try. It's less of an investment, and still lasts for months!

rated 1 of 5 on 9/24/2013 1:13:00 AM More reviews by Mabelle2

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I'm glad to see I'm not the only who has noticed that EL has changed formulas once again, and this time beyond acceptable. I've used this soap for 30 years and watched it shrink, but now it just stinks. I bought my last bar. What a shame. Goodbye Erno.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/18/2012 4:51:00 PM More reviews by DecoDolly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I'm a film theory major (with problem skin), who's obsessed with old Hollywood, so when I read that Garbo used this soap, I had to splurge on it! Unfortunately, it did absolutely nothing for my skin. I used it for a few months and was underwhelmed, to say the least. For the price, I was expecting at least a little something, but got nothin' at all. The website says, "Erno Laszlo's iconic, original cleansing bar removes impurities and exfoliates for soft, smooth skin.
Promote radiance with therapeutic dead sea mud, which cleans without stripping natural oils, detoxifies, improves circulation, hydrates and restores the skin's own mineral levels." BS, if you ask me. Not worth the ridiculous price!

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/31/2011 11:17:00 AM More reviews by skyeblu

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I have been using this soap for ten years and continue to love it! Truly the best facial cleanser I have ever used, and only buy others to make this last longer. I apply it to my face at the beginning of my shower, and when I rinse it off at the end, I rub off lots of dead skin in places where I get flaky. Yet I never feel dry or tight after using this (I have combo skin that needs regular exfoliation, and I live in a very humid climate). This soap is both a wash and a treatment, and always leaves my face feeling super clean and flake-free. I'm a 1:00 skintype on the Erno Laszlo typing system, which means very slightly oily (noon is neutral), so it might be too drying for those with drier skin types. As for the price, I cannot emphasize enough how long these bars last - I using up the last bits of a bar that I bought about 2 years ago!!! Seriously, these bars are very high quality and in my opinion entirely worth the initial investment.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/4/2011 12:06:00 AM More reviews by blondex199667

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I think many people's skin problems would disappear if they went back to facial soap for cleansing, as I recently have. Soap doesn't just clean the surface of your skin but actually cleans within the skin tissue. It's made my face feel so much cleaner and really improved the translucence.
But, as to this soap specifically, all I can say is Emperor's New Clothes. Seriously this soap is no better than Clinique's, has an odd smell, and is preposterously expensive (and that's coming from someone who doesn't blink at 3-figure treatment products). And that whole splashing thing? I seriously think it was probably intended as a joke. Although I also believe that most complaints about soap in general are likely due to insufficient rinsing. If calling thorough rinsing a "beauty ritual" is what it takes to get you to do so then by all means!
This soap is great and if you just don't give a sh*t about price go for it. But honestly, the soap from Clinique (and the one from Clarins, for that matter) is every bit as good.

5 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/12/2004 4:41:00 AM More reviews by Tirantea

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I do wish that everyone that reviewed this product had let us know how they used it, and what type of skin they have. If you follow the directions it isn't drying for oily skin, it washes off all makeup completely (although don't know about long wearing--there is an oil from the same line for removing makeup)and leaves your skin sqeaky clean. It also exfoliates some. Although I know everyone has different results, I really love this soap. And more importantly I think that it's unlikely if you are using it properly on the type of skin it was meant for, that you will have any problems with it. Whether or not you find it worth the price or like it in general (color, smell, etc...) is a very personal thing of course.

Personally I find it worth every penny. Love the squeaky clean skin and the long term results of clean pores, including blackheads.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/2/2013 12:09:00 AM More reviews by slim5555

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have been using Laszlo for forty years and I can say the Laszlo ritual is one of the best. It is imperative you use the oil first and use a judicious amount, less than the size of a nickel, massage it in thoroughly and then begin the splashing technique. It is best to use water as hot as your fingertips can stand. After the forty splashes pat your face dry and then follow with the light controlling lotion. I like to use a cotton ball that I first wet with water and then squeeze out the excess and use that cotton ball for the toner. You will save money and most important dilute any harsh effect of the alcohol. If money is an issue I have found that inexpensive toners from Loreal can be almost as effective.