Erno Laszlo Sea Mud Soap

3.9

Sodium Palmate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Water (Aqua), Silt, Charcoal Powder, Fragrance (Parfum), Glycerin, Iron Oxides, Sodium Chloride, Chromium Hydroxide Green, Titanium Dioxide, Tetrasodium EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Oakmoss, Benzyl Benzoate, Benzyl Cinnamate

on 2/17/2012 10:47:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Actually am confused where to put this review since I am reviewing the 'water splashing' method instead of the actual 'Erno Laszlo' product.

This splashing method worked so well I can not believe it!!Up till now I still havent use EL product, but seeing the great result only with water, I decided to ordering some and they are on its way now.

first of all, I have acne my entire life. I've tried every single OTC products, accutane, Benzoil Peroxide a la acne. org. Accutane and BP really controls my acne but at the same time 'kills' my skin. It looks old, wrinkly and dry.
Then I had enough of it. I stopped all the medication. Sure enough, my face explode wth big cystic acne, pustules, comedones, like all over my face. It was soooo embarassing, everybody keeps asking me what is wrong with my face, even strangers!! But I tried to put up with it with only using SKII line. SkII doesnt help lessen my acne at all, but it soothes my irritate skin enough so I still am using them. My face has been like this for like, almost 3 months :(

Then I read about EL and tried his water splashing method. Using SKII oil cleanser rub on my face and fill in my sink with the hottest water I can stand (I am desperate, lol) - then rubbing SKII gentle cleanser over the oil on my face - and proceed by sudsing the cleanser on my palm and rub it on my face. After that, I splashed my face 90times with that hot-warm water in the sink(yessss, I am THAT desperate). Proceed with splashing my face with running hot-warm water 30times and cold water 20 times.
The next morning, I can not believe it. My cystic acnes shrunk, my comedones lessen, and overall tone of my skin gets better. Only with one time trial!I kid you not.

Now I have tried this method morning and night for one week, the result : acne has diminished by 80%, and comedones that clog my pores has gone down almost to nothing and my skin is glowing...
Upon trying EL splashing method, I am very much interested in trying the product itself. But surely, water does heals, big time :). Thanks EL, your method alone works incredible!

on 12/12/2011 4:51:00 PM

I have used this soap and actually the total line since you had to be a card carrying member to purchase the products (that's a long long time). Years ago Dr. Laszlo asked that you use the soap in the hottest water your hands could stand. Now that has changed to warmer than lukewarm. He watched his mother who was wrinkle free at an elderly age always wash her face in very hot water. I started that way and continue to this day. At 69, I am often taken for 50 and have been refused senior discounts. I'd rather have the great skin than the discounts anyway. I have strayed, but not for long. This is the best soap you will ever find to make your skin look clear, moist and healthy. I just wish they would bring the original fragrance back and the marble soap dish it used to come in.

I have been using this soap for more than 20 years while I have on a rare occasion tried another line, I keep coming back to Laszlo. Why? Because nothing comes close to making my skin look its best as does Erno Laszlo. If you want to try this soap, do yourself a favor and make sure you have your skin properly "clocked" (Laszlo's term for determining your skin type) to make sure this is the right soap for you. Secondly FOLLOW the prescribed cleansing ritual. I firmly believe that much of the negative nonsense written in the reviews of this line are because the users did not have the right products for their skin type or use them for a sufficient length of time in the manner prescribed. If this is the soap for you, (normal to slightly oily) it will leave your skin fresh, clean and radiant. Trust me, many of the so-called beautiful people have known about and used this line for years.

on 9/24/2013 1:13:00 AM

I'm glad to see I'm not the only who has noticed that EL has changed formulas once again, and this time beyond acceptable. I've used this soap for 30 years and watched it shrink, but now it just stinks. I bought my last bar. What a shame. Goodbye Erno.

on 10/4/2011 12:06:00 AM

I think many people's skin problems would disappear if they went back to facial soap for cleansing, as I recently have. Soap doesn't just clean the surface of your skin but actually cleans within the skin tissue. It's made my face feel so much cleaner and really improved the translucence.
But, as to this soap specifically, all I can say is Emperor's New Clothes. Seriously this soap is no better than Clinique's, has an odd smell, and is preposterously expensive (and that's coming from someone who doesn't blink at 3-figure treatment products). And that whole splashing thing? I seriously think it was probably intended as a joke. Although I also believe that most complaints about soap in general are likely due to insufficient rinsing. If calling thorough rinsing a "beauty ritual" is what it takes to get you to do so then by all means!
This soap is great and if you just don't give a sh*t about price go for it. But honestly, the soap from Clinique (and the one from Clarins, for that matter) is every bit as good.

on 9/8/2010 12:09:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Erno Laszlo's Sea Mud Soap has been a gentle, dependable and effective addition to my skincare regimen. My skin is relatively oily, but sensitive and very acne prone. I use this soap at night only, and follow the prescribed Laszlo "spashing technique" as well. It may be less convenient than using other cleansers, but really only takes about 3 minutes or so. For those of us who aren't blessed with naturally problem-free skin, we'll gladly invest 3 minutes daily in anything that helps! I've had problem, acne-prone skin for the last 17 years. While this soap is not a miracle cure, its regular use has helped minimize the acne I do get. And, unlike other products that are geared toward oily or acne-prone skin, actually has a soothing, comforting effect on my skin. After I cleanse with Sea Mud Soap I use a mild toner and a moisturizer with a low dose of salicylic acid. That nighttime routine, combined with using an exfoliating cleanser in the morning (I like Philosophy's Microdelivery Wash), has significantly reduced my acne (by about 80%) and has improved the general condition of my skin. I think that the charcoal in this soap is key to its effectiveness and really does help draw impurities out of the skin, which helps maintain the skin's clarity. Also, charcoal's adsorptive properties are activated and enhanced by heat and steam, which sheds some light on the logic of the splashing ritual with "comfortably hot water." I think Dr. Laszlo was certainly on to something with this soap and his cleansing technique, and the fact that this singular, iconic product has been around for somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 years not only convinced me to try it, but convinced me to give it a chance to make a difference in my skin. I'm glad I stuck with it, and recommend those who are curious to give the travel size bar a try. It's less of an investment, and still lasts for months!

on 1/2/2013 12:09:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I have been using Laszlo for forty years and I can say the Laszlo ritual is one of the best. It is imperative you use the oil first and use a judicious amount, less than the size of a nickel, massage it in thoroughly and then begin the splashing technique. It is best to use water as hot as your fingertips can stand. After the forty splashes pat your face dry and then follow with the light controlling lotion. I like to use a cotton ball that I first wet with water and then squeeze out the excess and use that cotton ball for the toner. You will save money and most important dilute any harsh effect of the alcohol. If money is an issue I have found that inexpensive toners from Loreal can be almost as effective.

Update: I realize after reading many well informed reviewers remarks that the formula has changed, damn to the new owners, but go to Ebay that is where I buy my Laszlo products as they are in the old packaging, I bought 6 bars of soap, god knows what I will use once these are used up. Perhaps i will look in to Tatcha, which has impressive reviews.

on 8/18/2012 4:51:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I'm a film theory major (with problem skin), who's obsessed with old Hollywood, so when I read that Garbo used this soap, I had to splurge on it! Unfortunately, it did absolutely nothing for my skin. I used it for a few months and was underwhelmed, to say the least. For the price, I was expecting at least a little something, but got nothin' at all. The website says, "Erno Laszlo's iconic, original cleansing bar removes impurities and exfoliates for soft, smooth skin.
Promote radiance with therapeutic dead sea mud, which cleans without stripping natural oils, detoxifies, improves circulation, hydrates and restores the skin's own mineral levels." BS, if you ask me. Not worth the ridiculous price!

on 10/31/2011 11:17:00 AM

I have been using this soap for ten years and continue to love it! Truly the best facial cleanser I have ever used, and only buy others to make this last longer. I apply it to my face at the beginning of my shower, and when I rinse it off at the end, I rub off lots of dead skin in places where I get flaky. Yet I never feel dry or tight after using this (I have combo skin that needs regular exfoliation, and I live in a very humid climate). This soap is both a wash and a treatment, and always leaves my face feeling super clean and flake-free. I'm a 1:00 skintype on the Erno Laszlo typing system, which means very slightly oily (noon is neutral), so it might be too drying for those with drier skin types. As for the price, I cannot emphasize enough how long these bars last - I using up the last bits of a bar that I bought about 2 years ago!!! Seriously, these bars are very high quality and in my opinion entirely worth the initial investment.

on 9/23/2011 11:07:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Some time ago, my daughter received two samples of the sea mud soap along with some other Erno Laszlo products. For some reason, although she used the other products and liked them, she did not use the soap. After she moved to New York, I was cleaning out her room and came across the two samples of the Sea Mud Soap. Ever the curoious cat, I decided to try the soap. Luckily, she also left the instructions behind so I followed the instructions to cleansing my face with this soap. This was also rather intriguing to me because I'm not a soap fan. I mean....Dove Soap on my face left my skin so tight, and itchy and ugh. I'm just not a fan of soap or soap disguised as a "beauty bar"---it's the same.
Anyway, about a month ago, I started using the sea mud soap as directed in the AM and in the PM. What I liked was that there was absolutely no tightness or dryness at all. AT ALL! My skin was left very clean and after toning with Witch Hazel (yes, pure witch hazel is my HG of toners), my skin was feeling pretty-darn-good.
I'm almost at the end of my first sample--soon to start the second. I have to say, I'm really liking this. I do plan to purchase a full-size soap when my second sample is used up.
You know, sometimes, cleansing creams can leave your skin feeling slightly "filmy"...or greasy, and it is difficult and daunting at times to still have a bit of makeup that just didn't make the cut from the cream cleansers. I have to say--with this soap, everything comes off. Who knew a soap could work this well?
I will say though, that before I wash my face with this, I still use the Albolene to take my eye makeup off (and when I run out of the Albolene I take my eye makeup off with Crisco)--then I wash with the Sea Mud Soap. In addition, I do make the changeup from the Sea Mud Soap and Lancome's Cleansing Milk.
Thank you.