August 30, 2014 | 1152 users online

Pressed Powders - Black Opal - Invisible Oil Blocking Powder

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/11/2012 1:10:00 AM More reviews by AndreaJunelle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a really great oil control pressed powder. I've found over time that my oily skin generally prefers loose powders for controlling oil, but I have to say this one is pretty great and is definitely THE best blotting powder that doubles as a setting powder. (Better than higher end powders like MAC Blot for example - in my personal opinion at least ;D)
I'm 30years old and quite fair (NC15) with oily skin for reference. & I noticed when I opened the package that the powder does have some color to it and was worried the "translucent" wouldn't show up translucent on me and it would make me look too dark,(because the color does "appear" a bit on the darker side..) but luckily that hasn't been a problem as long as I don't go crazy with it. &I've been using it over top foundations as well as alone for "no makeup while wearing makeup" days ;)
I purchased this at one of my local RiteAid's (it's in limited RiteAid stores, if you are looking for one in your area they do have a "store locator" on the Black Opal website for reference, but can also be found online on several other websites for purchase as well.) I paid right around $9 USD which is very inexpensive. I purchased it in the middle of this summer when my face was definitely at it's oiliest and it performed beautifully. And I'm still able to use it now in October when my skin is no where near as oily(I'm actually a bit on the dehydrated side due to the crazy weather).
My favorite way to apply is with a brush - Not sure which brush is my favorite yet(kabuki, buffing, fluffy) -but even though I'm not sure which brush I prefer, I do know that I don't care for using the enclosed sponge- (we all know that *most* times the little sponges that come with drugstore powders aren't so great so this was no big surprise for me) I did replace it with a fluffier puff that I purchased separately but I still only use it for touch-ups on the go.
It also doesn't take a *ton* of powder to get the job done - I've been using mine several times a week, several times a day for 3+ months now and am barely showing a dip in the product, so you get more than you may think for your money :)
It comes in a slim black compact that is actually pretty sleek looking (oh do I hate it when compacts are bulky and not good for travel) I do wish the sponge/puff had a separate spot somewhere in the compact so it didn't have to lay on top of the powder but this is a very minor complaint for such an awesome product.
I also purchased the Black Opal Invisible Oil Blocking Mattifier and while it is nice, this powder really blew me away! Definitely a HG pressed powder and an awesome drugstore gem - I highly recommend and would repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/22/2012 5:59:00 PM More reviews by jnbaisden

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I am glad to say this product exceeded my expectations because I thought for sure I'd be returning it to the drugstore. I have an extremely oily t-zone, but this powder definitely does its job and keeps me matte. I bought this to set my make up for my brother's wedding because I knew I wouldn't have an opportunity for touch ups the day of and as a member of the wedding party I would be taking pictures. I am glad to say this powder kept my make up fresh the entire day! I was afraid it would appear ashy, but it truly is invisible no matter how much I apply (I like to apply heavily as I hate touching up my makeup throughout the day). I usually like to apply powder products by buffing with a brush, but I find this product works best for me when I apply with a puff in a patting motion. Therefore, I just buy replacement puffs as needed. This is now my holy grail setting powder. Great product and price!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/17/2012 1:47:00 PM More reviews by Sagehen

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Very happily surprised by this product. I had read about it so long, and was looking for a portable remedy for the shine on my oily skin. I like that I can use it several times a day and it does not cake up on my skin. It does not change the shade or tone of the makeup underneath. I agree with other posters here about the puff. I just toss that out and use with a brush. I only gave it four stars because of the difficulty buying it on the ground near me and the useless puff, but if at least one of those two things would improve, I would call this a holy grail. I would repurchase again.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/28/2012 8:39:00 PM More reviews by CiCiNellie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Black

I LOVE this product! .. I'm a makeup freak so i definitely know when something actually works! Trust me, If U sweat regularly or have oily skin, its not a problem.. This stays on all day! The best thing about it is that It looks soo natural.. If there's anything a woman wants, its to not let her makeup look obvious and trust me .. This Is A MAKEUP MIRACLE!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/27/2012 10:25:00 PM More reviews by BlendedSoul

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Neutral Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Brown

YESSS. I love this powder. I used it on top of my Fashion Fair Souffle makeup and I look flawless. I am brown skinned and this powder doesn't make me look ashy and doesn't clog pores. Great job, Black Opal!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/19/2011 12:47:00 PM More reviews by dx9618

If I could name my FAVORITE product out of all my face products, this would be it!!! I have combo skin but my nose gets uncontrollably shiny in about an hour, regardless of the temperature outside. This is the magical powder that i sweep on with a kabuki brush and it refreshes my face and makes it nice and matte but not too matte. Its perfect. Cheap and does what it claims. Also, I love that its not white and doesn't leave a white cast like some other oil absorbing powders do. Its especially made for women of color, so it has a bit of peachish tint to it (which makes a worlds of difference than if it was just a white powder). All in all, ILOVE THIS STUFF.

will 100% repurchase!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/12/2011 9:33:00 PM More reviews by pecantan

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

tried this powder for the first time today and i was soooo impressed!! i set my foundation with this early in the morning and my face stayed matte and fresh looking all day. i have very oily skin and i was amazed that i didnt have to blot at all!! i love mac blot powder but this works just as well and for under 10 bucks! this will replace my mac powder. thanks ladies for recommending this :)

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2011 1:20:00 PM More reviews by DCMakeupAddict

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

MAGICAL POWDER for ladies with oily skin!!! Seriously, this powder is fantastic! In the last few years my 30-something skin has been getting increasingly oily, especially in the hot summer months, and the best oil control and matte powders from Clinique, MAC, and others haven't done me any good. I randomly came across the Black Opal Invisible Oil Blocking Powder in the drug store and gave it a shot bc it was so cheap and no big deal if it didn't work. I was amazed to find that the unremarkable-looking ivory colored powder INSTANTLY soaked up the oil in my t-zone, and actually matched my skin tone perfectly! My winning makeup regime is to apply sunscreen, light foundation, and this magic powder with a fluffy brush, and I only need a touch-up towards the end of the day for oily-free skin!! SOOO glad to find this amazing product!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/21/2011 8:47:00 AM More reviews by kboogie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Okay my skin is super duper OILY!!! I have searched high and low for oil controlling products. I ordered Black Opal concealing foundation and this powder came with it (small compact) well the foundation didn't match but I decided to use the powder with another foundation.

It's been 3 hours and so far so good, believe me my face is usually an oil slick after 1.5 hours of putting on my makeup so to go 3 hours shine free is amazing to me!

I will come back and update my review once I see how it does for an entire day.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/23/2011 7:42:00 PM More reviews by deedi01

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this today on a whim, and briefly checked my MUA on my phone for any reviews and once i saw a 4.4 rating i figured it was worth the try. after all it was only $9 bucks. i used it right after getting my hair done, so my forehead was oily, so was my nose. it matted me out and kept my makeup looking fresh.
so far i am excited about this powder, i gave it a 4 because of the weird pad on the inside (the thot of it continually soaking up my facial oil, nd me reapply that to my face grosses me out. lol) i will have to use my retractable kabuki for it.