Chanel No.5

3.5

on 11/18/2014 1:30:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

It took me years to purchase and appreciate this wonderful fragrance. I started sampling No 5 in my early thirties, and it wasn't until 34 that I really started to appreciate this. I never thought that this ever smelled old lady, but I could see how it might be too "mature" smelling for some, or possibly outdated. I do think that my body chemistry and tastes have changed, because anything marketed to 20 somethings or even early 30 somethings does nothing for me anymore, or just smells "off" when I'm wearing it. Even the younger Chanel fragrances like Coco Mademoiselle and Chance are too "young" smelling for me.

I recently stopped wearing any modern fragrances for several reasons. First, longevity is terrible for most fragrances made within the last ten to fifteen years. Second, many of the modern ones are all too common smelling. Thirdly, the classics became classics for a reason. They really do have a timeless appeal to them.

Back to No 5, I wear the EDP. I haven't tried the EDT yet. The EDP is a complex, sophisticated, luxurious smelling perfume on me. This smells powdery on me, but also has other notes to balance it out. It doesn't smell like one note more than another--the formula blends perfectly. This is pure class, elegance, sophistication. I do use a light hand when spraying this, just so it wears close to me, so I'm able to pull this off as an office perfume. I can see how over spraying any perfume just ruins it. Less is more with this one. It's pricey, but a little goes a long way and I probably end up spending less money being that I don't have to use a lot.

Falling in love with No 5.....

on 11/13/2014 12:25:00 PM

I need to make something very clear. Unlike most fragrances that only vary the strength between the Eau de Parfum and Eau de Toilette, Chanel actually varies the notes in each strength. The Eau de Toilette version is a much sharper and harsher version. The Eau de Parfum is a much softer and more well rounded fragrance. It is absolutely lovely. That being said, it is definitely a fragrance for a women over 35. It doesn't smell old lady but it is very much a mature scent and I don't think it would work right on an 18 year old woman.

on 10/17/2014 9:45:00 PM

I tried this perfume because my grandma gave it to me. Smelled just like her. I mean, it's not like it smells bad I just associate that smell with her. Maybe it's too.. sophisticated for my tastes.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

gives me nausea. The only chanel frangrances I like are chanel chance(pink,green). That's pretty much it. The rest are grandma alert.

on 8/12/2014 5:57:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Why does everyone love this perfume so much? I lived in France for about a year and took a class on art and my teacher was French, and she said that she disliked this perfume and found it much too strong. I have always disliked the fragrance ever since I was a young girl, but to hear it from an actual French person...well, I was happy to be free to speak my mind about it. First of all, it smells like an old lady who spilled bad wine all over herself, but never cleaned it all off. Secondly, perfume doesn't come cheap if you buy a genuine bottle of it from a designer. And Chanel ain't cheap. Third... don't believe the hype and just buy it. Smell it for yourself because I knew some people who actually like it, but it's their choice. It didn't work for me, but it must work for someone else.

on 7/27/2014 11:37:00 PM

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

Child Alert! Don't try this if you are one.

on 7/27/2014 11:01:00 PM

Grandma alert! So disgusting. I don't care how iconic this is; it's overpowering and reeks!! I get nauseous just smelling the sprayer.

on 7/11/2014 1:47:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I tried to wear this when I was in my early 20s...and it just didn't work for me at the time...I LOVED the scent, but felt it just didn't sit right with my body chemistry..My boyfriend purchased this for me recently, and I just love it now! Normally, I can't wear florals, but this one works for me...just smells rich and classy. My new favorite.

on 7/7/2014 11:03:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Vintage EDT.

A truly perfectly balanced floral done in the way only Chanel could do. It is delicate and classy as well as being alluring and sensual, as if giving off a warm glow around the person who wears it, like a soft, golden "aura" following them.

It is subtle, but it compliments your own natural skin beautifully and it a natural way... as if enhancing your presence and making you feel beautiful and confident at the same time.

Ernest Beaux, the genius that he was, knew women so well, this fragrance seems to work and adapt differently on each persons skin. It has universal appeal... and works well with women of ANY culture, creed or generation. There is a reason why this one is hard to beat, even after 90 years, and why it will still be around 90 years from now.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I so badly wanted to love this because it is such an iconic fragrance. In fact, I even wore it to my wedding (mostly because the bottle looks so timeless in photos). I don't love it though. I kind of like it. Kind of. It smells like old lady, its way too intense (I have the EDP) and it hurts my nose in the first few hours. After a while though, it mellows out and smells quite nice (although still not something I'd choose considering how many other options there are out there). I'm keeping it though for those days when I want to smell really mature and classy, because it IS classy and so iconic; just not sure if it is true to my personality.

Popular Fragrances