August 30, 2014 | 923 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - No.5

rated 4 of 5 on 5/6/2014 5:09:00 AM More reviews by mushroom8118

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

My mom gave me this perfume as my wedding gift in 2007 and I'm still halfway through. It is and still is my mom's all time favorite though. Honestly it wasn't my total favorite but the scent is acceptable and I usually wear it for special occasions like dinner parties or weddings due to it high silage and superb long lasting power. It is seriously a very strong perfume, so use sparingly. It lasts all day so only a little is needed. Smells as if there is a billion types of flowers being squeezed in a bottle. Classically powdery but nice and warmth. It surely made me feel classy and in control. Super pricey indeed for me but will buy it again if I ran out. Reserved only for special occasions only.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/5/2014 10:27:00 AM More reviews by slfalk

I wore this on my wedding day and I love it. Floral rose with powder and a hint of spice- very classic and almost old-world, if you will. Reminds me of Europe!!

Lots of people think this is old-ladyish, too powdery, too strong - heard all of that and more. I think it is imperative that one a) not put too much of this on, regardless of formulation b) WAIT for the fragrance to settle (at least an hour, maybe two), and c) wear it for at least 3 days, through different humidity before you make your decision. If you hate it right off the bat, I get that, BUT this is a scent that really takes a long time to settle down and and I find it smells different in different weather.

I love this stuff, wear it often and it takes a very small amount - even with the EDT. I've used the EDT and EDP, and I actually like the EDT a bit better - but that may be too that I have the EDT in a vintage refillable from the 70s. (I love vintage).

Anyway, everyone should try it - and give it a chance - it's a classic for a good reason.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/19/2014 8:30:00 PM More reviews by dyanp989

Extreme migraine trigger, can't come near anyone wearing this. Pretty, but not worth it.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/19/2014 7:26:00 PM More reviews by glvazquez

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I can never be without it. This is what a classic fragrance should smell like.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/19/2014 8:21:00 AM More reviews by matx1967

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

My husband got this for me while killing time in a duty free shop at the Orlando airport. I tried it right away, since I had not used any fragrance that day and so it wouldn't be competing with another scent.

I want to like it, but I can't bring myself to try it again. I certainly would not wear it to work while still in the "deciding" stage, so it will have to be a weekend project.

It's an iconic luxury fragrance with a long history, which makes me feel like I should like it. However, if I tried it as a blind test there is no way I would ever entertain purchasing or asking for this fragrance as it stands now.

I know it is expensive, and it is very clever packaging: 3 20 ml EDP spray bottles that fit into a sleek and chic black "lacquer" and gold case that looks like an oversize lipstick--you twist the top counterclockwise and the atomizer pops up--twist it clockwise and the atomizer recedes back into the case. 3 20 ml bottles is just over 2 oz of fragrance--even if I use this every day it will take many months to use up and I am really trying to have only 2 or 3 fragrances at a time that I use up before getting a replacement or something completely different.

I will edit after I decide yay or nay, but I think I am sadly leaning toward nay on this.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/11/2014 4:56:00 PM More reviews by Gabriela11

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

When I was young I didnīt like this perfume. I thought it was for mature women. However, when I turned 50 years old I bought it and I felt in love with it. At my age I find it very sensual and sophisticated. It is not my signature scent, but I use it on special occasions. Certainly is a perfume that I return to buy when it's over.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/11/2014 4:27:00 PM More reviews by fionarocks

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this for winter-the aldehydes are weird and sparkly and it's interesting.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/10/2014 3:36:00 AM More reviews by AllyDean

I bought this perfume due to the marketing and from the crazed hype over this product featured in magazines. The service and special feeling of purchasing a Chanel product also added to the experience. However, the scent on the testing paper and me was totally different which I was extremely disappointed. On me it became a scent that I would associate with more mature perfume users. However, after a few hours had passed, it become a beautiful scent.

I am quite conflicted over this perfume as I dislike the overpowering initial scent but do love the resulting scent once the initial scent dissipates. However, due to the longevity of this perfume which i find quite rare, i have decided to give it a higher rating.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/9/2014 5:58:00 PM More reviews by Ladyofgrace

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Deep Dark, Cool Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I will forever purchase Chanel no. 5 as this is the first fragrance I received from my mother as a teen.

Chanel No 5 is a Floral Aldehyde fragrance. This is my classic go to scent because I love to smell fresh and powdery. I layer the fragrance along with the body mist and velvet body cream.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/3/2014 2:00:00 AM More reviews by staci01

2013 became the year of no. 5 as I ended up purchasing the Velvet Body Cream, Intense Bath Oil and the EDP. I also managed to get my mitts on a sample of the EDT. I'd been avoiding no 5 for years,since the early 90's when I first got into Chanel fragrances as a middle schooler, due to the extreme aldehydic nature of the fragrance. Made it a point over the years to try it out at least once a year to see if my nose had changed towards it. Every time I'd sniff or sample no 5 my throat would feel like someone had stuffed a ball of cotton down it and it would start to close up. Then this past Fall I tried again on the EDT this time wearing it for the whole day a few times over the course of a week and I had to keep myself from running to the sink to brillo it off my wrist. Verdict was that the EDT was not working and I don't think it ever will. What got me hooked on no 5 though was the Velvet Body Cream after I was given a sample sachet at Nordstrom. I'd been using it off and on and I didn't love it but I didn't hate it. One night I decided I was going to really give the cream a try and kept using it before bed. This led to me falling in love. The vetiver and lemon note really pops out in the cream and I just adore it. I can smell the aldehydes but it's not as harsh as in the EDT. This then led to me buying the cream and eventually the EDP which is a more heavy 80's style fragrance, almost as if the perfumer were trying to skirt the edge of an 80's oriental but only a smidge. The EDP is heavier on the jasmine and vanilla and the aldehydes are there but not similar to the ones in the EDT. The EDP I can wear comfortably and it's definitely good for colder weather and can be worn with everything. I do believe now that my dislike over the years was due to the fact that I kept grabbing the EDT (and because I was familiar with the square tube like container as I had a bottle of no 19 EDT in the same shape). I know now that each of the different concentrations in the no 5 line is slightly modified. The notes are the same but tweaked up or down and differently for each concentration. Same goes for Chanel's other fragrances as well, btw. I've not tried the parfum yet but I plan to purchase a bottle in the future. I know that purists say that the EDT is the way to go but I just can't do it. Maybe I'll try again next year. I also noticed that when I wear the cream and the EDP it is very calming and keeps anxiety down. I did some searching and found out that no 5 contains rose and jasmine. Both of these oils help with reducing stress. Rose oil causes the brain to stop pumping out cortisol, which is the stress hormone, and jasmine oil is also a stress reducer and has been found, for example, to act as a tranquilizer on rats and people who are getting off of certain prescription drugs. I noticed the calming effect when I used the cream and later noticed that the EDP has the same affect on me. It also contains ylang ylang oil which has been found to be a stress reducer. Very nice to be able to not only smell and enjoy a scent but that it also contributes to a peaceful mind. Will always have this fragrance in my collection!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No