January 27, 2015 | 2032 users online

Eye Primer - Urban Decay - Eyeshadow Primer Potion - Original

rated 3 of 5 on 1/15/2015 10:52:00 AM More reviews by redlipsdiva

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I first tried the original Urban Decay's Eyeshadow Primer Potion several years ago when my skin was extremely oily and the eyeshadow that I had painstakingly applied would just melt off or disappear from my lids. I had read numerous positive reviews and advertisements in beauty magazines. As a "product junkie," I am constantly reading fashion magazines and "best of beauty" lists. However, as a "product junkie," I have also learned a lot about clever and enticing advertising and that not everyone has the same experience with the same product.

Having said that, I could not wait to get my hands on UD's Eyeshadow Primer a few years ago. Initially, the product worked great: it went on creamy and dried to a soft canvass on which to apply my eye make up, which lasted at least a good 16 + hours. I re-purchased the product about three times, even though I never liked the packaging; there is no way to make the tube stand up, and the tube just took up too much space. Then, I started noticing that the primer began to "cake" on my lids and looked uneven and unattractive. For the record, my skin used to be much more oily than it is now; and I have updated my personal status to reflect that change. However, my skin still tends toward the "shiny" side, which can enhance the effect of eye shadow and even create a more "dramatic" and or "glossy" finish, if that is the look you are going for. At that time; however, the last thing I wanted was to look like a greasy mess with mascara and eyeliner "fall out" under my eyes and on my cheeks.

UD has since added a few shades to their original primer. I have not used those shaded primers. The original UD Eyeshadow Primer was fairly colorless, starts out creamy, and dries to a powder finish. It is odorless and easy to apply with your fingertips (make sure your fingers are freshly cleaned) or with a concealer brush using gentle patting motions. Use sparingly, a little goes a long way.

Although I did re-purchase this product in the past, I would not do so now; in part because I do not like the "cakey" effect, and in part because of how the tube is packaged; it takes up too much space. If you have extremely oily skin, then you may want to try UD Eyeshadow Primer. I simply suggest that you use the product sparingly and do not rub the product after it has dried, or you may end up with a doughy mess. Sephora has the smaller, sample-size tubes that you can buy without spending too much money before committing to the full-size tube.

Jouir-Enjoy!
redlipsdiva

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2015 11:55:00 AM More reviews by thehappykitten

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

The original is the best, in my opinion. For only $20 you get a lot of product and it seems to last forever.
I use a tiny amount and smooth it over both eyelids, and it holds my eyeshadow in place until I remove it. At the end of the day, whatever color I have on my lids still looks as great as it did in the morning. The same with any shimmery or glittery shadows.
Can't live without this!!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/14/2015 4:35:00 AM More reviews by Casandrachia

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

So far, this has been the best eye primer I've found.
My first one would have been NYX's Eyeshadow Base (Cheap, but smudges)

This primer is pretty decent and well sought after, and I have to agree it's staying power is great. I used to apply eyeshadow without any primer, and after awhile, it'll tend to smudge all over and make me look like a panda. (As I have oily eyelids)

What I like about this primer is that a little goes a long way.
A little drop of it, is enough to prime both of my eyelids.
It has a slightly creamy texture, and it's pretty quick to settle down.
But if you were to blink immediately after application, it'll tend to make your eyelids stick. ><

About the staying power in detail, it works decently. As long as you don't rub your eyes or let it come into contact with water. It stays for a good whole day, DEPENDING on what you do.

If you decide to be an idiot like me, playing badminton or doing some vigorous activity that makes you sweat, my eyeshadow/eyeliner will start to smudge a tad. Thank god it doesn't streak massively in any way. The smudge is pretty minor, barely noticeable with glasses on.

If you decide to wear it on an evening out, it works really well. It definitely makes both low and good quality eyeshadows more pigmented in colours. (Than if you were to put it alone.)

I heard that the formula changed, but it's still decent. Let's hope that they don't ruin the formula any further. In conclusion, it's still my go to eye primer and it's definitely worth the price and quality.

(P.S. I strongly recommend the original one compared to the other colours, as the rest make your eyelids too shiny. Original works well for both natural and made up looks.)

rated 3 of 5 on 1/11/2015 10:28:00 PM More reviews by klocke94

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This was the first eye primer I ever used, I thought it was alright until I compared it with other products. I found that I would still have creasing after a few hours, and if I had any dry patches at all it does show alot. That being said, it definitely increases the staying power of eyeshadow.

It's an alright produCT, but for a similar price I would definitely recommend the NARS primer instead.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2015 10:35:00 PM More reviews by ArielKaren

It holds eye shadow all day without it becoming greasy, I love this product. I would definitely buy it again. It goes on really smooth too which is always good!

rated 3 of 5 on 1/8/2015 7:20:00 PM More reviews by natalie275

At first when I got this product I was soooo excited. I loved it so much and used it every time I wore eye shadow. Now that I don't wear eye shadow as much, I realized that it really isn't all that great. PROS: Sanitary, a little goes a long way, does the job. CONS: Pricey, can be oily. Do I like this product? Yes, but I wouldn't repurchase it. You can use other primers or even concealer which is what I do and it works just as well.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/8/2015 3:37:00 AM More reviews by Artemisian

This was my first eye primer product. The difference made me speechless! Needs the tiniest bit of product (and it's so easy to get only a tiny bit) and my shadows don't move forever. I've now tried Benefit and NARS and neither measure up to this. Will purchase again and again!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/7/2015 5:27:00 PM More reviews by beckirk

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It makes shadows not crease on me after like two hours of wear like it normally does, so that's nice. It's slightly skin colored so I think it helps even out the visible veins from my translucent-ass skin. I have the mini size (came with UD Smoked palette) and the size and packaging is really convenient for travel. I guess I'll have to cut it open to get the last bits out but I think even this tiny size is gonna last me a while.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/7/2015 4:53:00 PM More reviews by blacksheep6293

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Have been using Too Faced eyeshadow primer for a few years now and found it mediocre, but couldn't get UDPP in Australia.
Finally got my mits on this after a trip to New York and i love it. Shadows do not crease and they stay put all day ( been using in conjunction with UD Naked 2).
It comes out as a beige, almost like a sheer concealer when blended. No scent, squeeze tube is convenient. I have the deluxe sample size. Will definitely repurchase. I think it will last a while as you only need a dot for each eye.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/6/2015 7:21:00 PM More reviews by princessmeowmeow

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I don't get why so many people love this. I find that the formula is stiff, sticky, and is hard to blend eyeshadows with. It does last long though. It looks sickly against my beige undertoned skin.