MAC #187 Duo Fiber Face Brush (Stippling, Skunk Brush)

4.5

HAIRZ

Does its job, but sheds like crazy.

This brush is nothing special its disappointing. The brush sheds like crazy and the black color bleeds onto the white bristles. After you wash it let it dry you have to really wipe it off or it will turn your foundation grey this causes the brush to shed even more. The bristles are too loose and fanned out not enough brush hairs. This did not give an airbrush look it actually applies streaky because the white bristles are too long and not close together. When you really blend foundation the brush hairs bend and fans out. The best way to explain it is the brush hair is like the Clarisonic cashmere brush. You can't work the foundation in if you have large pores it will not blend well foundation just sits on top. The more you try to blend the streakier it gets. This is not a cheap brush $30+ seems like most mac brushes bleed and shed like crazy. Everytime I apply foundation theirs always brush hairs stuck to my face. Mac brushes are not worth the price.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

This is my most disliked brush on earth, and unfortunately I have 2 of them! I bought these back in 2007 when I started getting into makeup this was my first Mac brush, I bought it because the girl at the Mac counter told me it was a must have and a versatile brush to have. So stupid, young me bought one for foundation and one for blush at the same time! They shed like crazy, still to this day! & they are pretty much useless for me.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Why does this brush shed to badly?
I bought this a few years ago now, and I've taken very good care of it. It gets washed regularly, and I use it rarely. Ever since I bought it, it has shed.

At first, the MAC SA told me that it's probably just because it's new. The next time I brought it up, I got told I wasn't cleaning it enough. I must admit, while I've tried other things over the years, I do keep coming back to it because I love the way it makes my foundation look. It's just so disappointing having to spend 5-10 minutes picking the tiny black hairs off my face every single time I use it.

For the price (I think I paid around $75), it is very disappointing.

This brush is amazing, I use it for my foundation and it makes it look flawless and airbrushed.

Its a super pretty brush, extremely soft too. I used it to apply foundation, I wasn't very happy. It worked well for a while but I found myself having to blend it with a real techniques brush, I had lines and brush hair all over my face, and if I didn't wash it all the time the foundation stuck all the bristles together. I think there are better brushes for a better price.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

After years of wanting this brush for powdered bronzer (Allure Magazine’s recommendation), I finally bought it. It doesn’t seem to pick up much powder but that makes it almost impossible to overdo the bronzer (which I had been doing when using my blush brush for bronzer). As many other reviewers said, this does shed a lot, but I haven’t noticed any decrease in the brush’s volume (my blush brush, Sonia Kashuk, also sheds a lot). And after a few washes the shedding has reduced. This is my first duo-fiber brush and it took a little practice to best use this brush. Another reviewer mentioned using this brush like painting watercolors, which is helpful; a light touch and long strokes give the best application with a powder. I use this with Dolce & Gabbana The Bronzer for sun-kissed or contoured face, neck, and décolletage. I wash my brushes regularly and take good care of them so I don’t foresee having to buy a new bronzer brush any time soon, but if I lost this brush I would buy it again.

Perfect multi-use brush, stippling foundations, sweeping powders, blending contour; you get the point.
However I only paid around £8 for this on eBay and not RRP around £35.
If I lost this I would 100% re-buy straight away, providing it was still at the low cost, if not I would hesitate. If you have the cash to splash and can't find it on Internet then go for it !

So i was really excited to get this brush until the first time used it and i was really shocked that the black hair falls! i got very disappointed for such this quality! i got it for like 66.90$ because mac in my country is expensive, so the next day i went to the store to return it and they say that i can't because i've used it already and i was like whaa? do you call this quality for this price!? so they called mac's makeup artist and she told me that its normal because its real goat hair and the hair that falls is an access and it wouldn't affect on its quality so the solution she recommend to me is to wash it with water before i use it and wiping it with tissue (aha, lol?) and she promised it will solve the problem and she told me if it didn't work and the hairs still falls i come to her and she will deal with returning my money. so i went home and did what she told me and i was surprised that it worked! and now this is far my favourite brush for TM or for light foundations1 i use it for different things and it works so good! i even prefer it more than sigma f80!

Despite its biting price, I absolutely adore the product. This is the only high quality duo-fiber brush I got, but I literally can't imagine myself using same one from any other brand.

#187 is made in Japan and has got both natural and synthetic bristles for a flawless blending and airbrushed finish.

You can use it either for applying your foundation, powder, mineral makeup - but my outmost favorite way is to use this brush with very highly pigmented blushers. It will pick up just enough of product and blend it seemlessly.

When I use this brush to apply my blush - I notice that it lasts all day long and looks very natural and never spotty or anything.

There is a great blog post explaining how to use #187 for blush, hope it helps!
www.theppb.wix.com/thepartyparrotblog