Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar

4.2

Apple Cider Vinegar

Disclaimer: I don't use Bragg's brand of ACV, but I couldn't find the omega nutrition brand that I use.

I was skeptical about using (diluted) ACV as a toner. The smell especially turned me away from it. However, after using my homemade ACV toner for about a week and a half, I am very satisfied with the results.

My mix: 1 part ACV + 2 parts cucumber infused water. (I use regular water too, but have just recently started using the cucumber water for moisture perhaps?)

I store mine in a plastic container and put it in the fridge, not because it needs to be refrigerated but because I like the cooling sensation when applied to my face.

The biggest benefits I've seen from using ACV topically as a toner:
1. my skin tone is more even now than ever. I suspect that I have rosacea (especially on my cheeks) and ACV has definitely helped even out the redness
2. my skin appears more glowing and healthy (i'm only 19, but my skin has looked dull and not as youthful as it did when I was younger)
3. I have very enlarged pores on my cheeks, but it seems that the ACV has minimized the appearance although I think this may have more to do with the fact that it has evened out the redness on my cheeks, thereby drawing less attention to the pores. Either way, my pores look smaller to me
4. after over washing my skin for so many years, my skin is finally balanced (pH wise) and doesn't get nearly as oily (if at all) as it used to. I used to blot my face 2-3 times a day, now I only do once or not at all!

I do have mild acne and the ACV toner hasn't completely banished my breakouts like many people here have said, but I think it does help dry out pimples and possibly help with preventing new ones.

I will definitely keep using this especially because its one of the cheapest things I've used on my face and definitely one of the most effective topical products.

As for the smell, you get used to it and after it sits on your face for about 15 minutes the stench completely dissipates. I hardly mind the smell at all after about a week of usage.

I will continue using this and hope for more and more positive results!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

LOVE...LOVE...LOVE. I dilute this 1/2 Braggs ACV and 1/2 Witch Hazel. Works like a DREAM!! I have oily skin (mainly t-zone) and blackheads with the monthly breakout. This mixture keeps my skin clean, clear and break out free!! It has help to decrease oil production without drying me out, and tighten my large pores like nothing else. And, CHEAP to boot. Been using this morning and night for 6 months and have seen a noticeable difference. Will keep using forever :)

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

This is day 4 of using ACV as a toner. I'm not using this brand, I use the supermarket brand. Firstly, I made the concentration of 4 parts water and 1 ACV ratio. I tolerated well, and day 3 I amped it up slightly. I didn't measure it exactly, as I just topped my old/current batch off with more ACV. I suffer from terrible clogged pores but not all of them will turn into pimple, they're just very bumpy. During the ACV trial, I haven't worn any makeup, just cleansing and using an organic moisturiser. I used exfoliation mask and extracted my comedones 1- 1.5 weeks prior to the ACV trial. So it has been a while. I haven't noticed the exfoliating effect of the ACV. The clogged pores became more noticeable (maybe purging?). So yesterday, I decided to just extract all my comedones (using blackhead extractor). It was so gross and so many of them. It's literally every pore was filled with gunks. So now my face feels clean and much less bumpy. I will still keep using ACV to see if it helps it stay clear. But I don't think it will exfoliate and get rid of the pre-existing clogged pores. That's what manual extraction is for…

UPDATE 13/10/2015: My clogged pores reduce quite a bit after consistently using ACV as a toner. When I did extraction today, it wasn't a lot compared to my last extraction (which I believed was a purging period when using ACV). I will update again

Update 19/10/2015: I still do have some clogged pores but they're reduced. It's my time of the month where I usually get pimples. Yes I got a huge one (cystic) a few days ago, ACV won't get rid of the pimple itself, but it will speed up the process of it coming to a head. It did it in a day or two and soon enough I was able to pop it, such a huge relief! Then I put ACV on the area, yes it stung, but day 3 it's gone. YAY! Be careful if you just did a physical exfoliation, and decide to use ACV toner afterwards, it will sting even if you just dab it. I suggest to dilute your usual concentration with a little bit more water, or just skip the ACV for the day.

Update 26/10/2015: My face has improved heaps! Clogged pores are greatly reduced, and no I have not used chemical exfoliator or exfoliating mask at all. So no BHA, AHA, or peeling mask. It controls my oil very well. A bit too well sometimes but nothing that a moisturiser can fix when that happens. I usually skip moisturiser after using this as a toner as I don't want to upset my pH balance. I think ACV restores my pH and my skin functions properly as a protective barrier. Usually my breakout is crazy when it's the time of the month. I found that it did help a lot but not completely eliminate it.

3/12/2015: I have switched to this brand for a few months now and love it! I noticed there is a different smell than the one that you buy at the supermarket. I drink this internally as well whenever I can. I feel that it is slightly more gentle and less drying. I use 1/3 ACV and 2/3 water, I eyeball it.

UPDATE 10/12/2015: Found a new use for this!!! I use it as a detangler!!!!!!! AMAZING DETANGLER!!!!!!! I mix 50 water:50 ACV. I still have hair falls but it doesn't hurt when I brush my hair after washing it. My hair is insanely soft :D

What can I say about Bragg's and ACV? I've been using it since the 70's and have always had a bottle in the pantry or under the counter since. Dr. Bragg and his daughter (Patricia I believe) also had a little book out all about ACV which I've owned since the 70's (recently lent it to a young co-worker who suffers from RA and she left the company before returning the book - sniff). The book is kind of corny but is loaded with information and uses for ACV. Dr. Bragg asserts (and I believe this too) that all dis-ease is caused by inflamed tissue, something that scientists and doctors understand but instead of looking at the cause they go for symptom treatment. What I see is traditional doctors will prescribe all types of anti inflammatory drugs and creams, with all the concerning side-effects we all know about. They should say, go get an ACV massage, and begin putting a few drops in your water!

ACV works at breaking down the acid crystals in your body which occur naturally when the body is battling pollutants, bad food, chemicals, irritants, etc and the naturally occurring breaking down and building up our cells do daily. If things slow down (bad diet, illness, lack of fresh air and exercise) and you don't get those acid crystals flushed out, they can lead to inflammation of the tissue and then eventually your disease of choice appears.

The book has a ACV acid crystal 'flush' that you can do which people with RA, and other complaints have had amazing benefits from. He actually includes information on how you can check your urine for evidence before and after of the presence of acid crystals. And although I'm an experimenter and quazi-mad scientist I never tried that, as the thought of collecting my urine in a jar (as you need to for the 'test') was not appealing! I'll just take his word for it!

I used ACV the following ways:
A few drops in my water bottle before a hike. A FEW DROPS! One time I put too much in and was out hiking, really needed a good slake of water and instead got what tasted like a mouth full of vinegar and it was not nice. Never again. Respect the potency.

Added to just about everything I eat. Fresh salads, steamed veggies, casseroles, stews, gravies, fries, roasted veggies, dressings. Yum. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it.

As a toner 1 part ACV/4 parts distilled water. Sometimes add a drop or two of essential oil, like rose absolute, neroli, tuberose, lavender.

I take a 'nip' of ACV, straight, before a workout or when my muscles are sore or twangy. Also strengthens the heart muscle. Lots of potassium! Also helps with stress.

A 1/2 capful in one of my many glasses of water a day.

I used to do a facial steam using Swiss Criss in the water for a soft herbal steam. Then I'd put a couple of tsp ACV in a bowl and fill it with about 1/2 C very warm water. I would then put a damp facecloth into the mixture, ring it out just so it's not dripping, and lay down and lay it on my face and relax - oh when you first breath in the warmed vinegar it can make you cough! So tart! Then after a minute or so, I use the cloth in circular motions over my skin starting at my neck and moving up. Then rinse with warm water and you can't believe how baby bottom smooth your skin is.

I've not found the Swiss Criss around for ages (it's also by Braggs), nor the real Bragg's AVC around my area. I don't have really great health food stores close by like I used to, but the local grocery store carries Spectrum which is made a few communities away and is organic unpasturized unfiltered, with the mother, in glass, so I'm happy with that. Plus it's local and this province is famous for its apples. However, if I ever see Bragg's I still buy it - I feel a connection to it, like an old friend.

Dilute 1 part acv/4 parts water and massage onto sore achy muscles.

I've used it in my hair too but stopped for some reason. May start that again.

Recently I had a series of tests on my heart (24 hour monitor, stress test, ultrasound - that was cool to hear your own heartbeat through a speaker!)...anyway after all was said and done, the cardiologist told me I was going to live to 150. I guess that means at least my heart won't be the culprit! And this after I've been a long time smoker, used to drink a lot of alcohol and party hard, and to this day I eat whatever I feel like including ice-cream, cookies, fried foods (and I eat equally of fresh juices, veggies, fruits, nuts). I've pretty much stayed slim, flexible, and strong with soft smooth skin throughout the decades (I have my ups and downs of course, but overall...). I totally give that a nod toward being a life long ACV user.

Love!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I am completely flummoxed by the absolute hysteria ACV seems to have garnered.

If you're putting something anything - and I DO mean anything - acidic or alkaline on your skin you have to do some testing first ... or at the very least read up on the stuff. Isn't that just common sense?

To scream in the middle of the night because of a bad reaction is just a tad over the top and I'm sorry, but - I just don't get the hysteria.

(as for ACV itself, the stuff is marvelous. I drink it daily and it makes one wicked hair tonic)

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

THIS STUFF IS AWESOME. Okay, so I have really sensitive, acne-prone skin. I have scarring, and I'm a compulsive picker. I dilute this usually 1/4 - 1/2 parts ACV to regular tap water and keep it in a little bottle. If it's during winter and my skin is drying out, I use less ACV and more water for dilution. I use this almost every night, except when I sleep over my bf's house because this stuff is just really stinky. It really helps with my acne, the redness, and the hyper pigmentation. In general, your skin is slightly acidic (pH of ~ 5.5), which is why this works so well with your skin, especially if you're used to using soap which is usually basic rather than acidic!

The brand you use is very important! I use Bragg's ACV with "the mother", and the whole bottle will literally last me an entire year.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

First, I agree with everyone that has said NEVER use ACV at full strength.

I have mature skin that is prone to milia, so it has a sensitivity to certain products and I try to balance my cleansing, exfoliating and moisturizing without adding ingredients that would make things worse. I am also trying to avoid drying alcohols and any ingredients that may contribute to sensitivity issues. That is why I like this simple and easy toner recipe.

My review is based on using ACV as a toner:

I use one part ACV to 2 - 3 parts distilled water (In my area we have very hard water that leaves deposits). To this, I add a few drops of pure aloe vera (not the green gel), and a couple drops of rosehip seed oil, and I may add a few drops of glycerin. This combination seems to work well for me without being overly drying. I store it in a small plastic bottle and make a new batch about every two weeks.

Other ingredients you might consider adding to it are green tea (but I would then reduce the amount of water), and I noticed another reviewer added Vitamin C crystals. (I make my own vitamin C serum, so that could be another option.

One note on the rosehip seed oil. Some may not be able to add that ingredient as it may be a sensitivity issue and may want to omit that.

I hope this review was helpful and I look forward to reading how others use this product.

Just to let people know, you MUST always remember using anything that has such a high pH such as apple cider vinegar (pH of 3), you must dilute the heck out of it.

It's better to start off less concentrated, then work your way up when your skin starts to get used to it. I see reviews saying STAY AWAY, DON'T USE THIS, YOU'LL BURN YOUR SKIN OFF, well, of course you will if you leave 100% undiluted ACV on your skin for more than a few minutes. There has been a case of a lady who soaked bandages with it and wrapped it around her foot when she injured it during a hike and after a few hours she practically burned her foot through.

While this works miracles for many, you gotta play it smart. Using it as a toner is fine because you're just applying it over your face and letting it dry within seconds. That being said, I've only started using this at 1 teaspoon with 1 cup or more (i forget) of water so start off gentle! The smell isn't the best, but if the results are good who cares lol.

I started using this because none of my other acne ointments/gels/creams were really helping anymore. I have one from my family doctor and its BP with Adapalene, and I've been using it for over a month and its just not working :/ Salicylic acid creams are ok, but sometimes don't really help with hormonal acne...

Just be careful when you try some natural DIY solution to skincare, and always test it out on a small area of the face or arm to check for adverse effects.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I MADE AN ACCOUNT FOR THIS SITE JUST TO WRITE A REVIEW ABOUT THIS. DO NOT USE THIS IF YOUR SKIN IS RELATIVELY CLEAR. My skin was ok before I used this. I had acne scarring here and there and pimples here and there but nothing too big. I used this for two days and MY SKIN IS THE WORST ITS EVER BEEN IN 5 YEARS. I understand that this is a purging stage but in my honest opinion it is not worth enduring the purging especially if you don't have THAT bad skin. I hope you take my advice and never use this. Just continue your regular routine that works pretty well for your skin. DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT. IT RUINED MY SKIN AND I AM VERY FRUSTRATED AND AFRAID IT WILL NOT RETURN TO ITS ORIGINAL CONDITION. I would have given this product zero stars but it won't allow me to.

I came back to add more because that's how frustrated I am. I don't know what's happening to my skin. You see, I used to be the type to have nice smooth skin itself and just bigger acne but now i have red bumps all over my face. Whenever I feel it it feels rough and scaly and covered with bumps. It started off on just my chin but now it spread to my cheeks and now around my eyes. Every time I look in the mirror I feel like crying and I don't want to go out anymore because I'm just so self conscious. I don't know what to do anymore; it just seems like its getting worse. Take my advice and don't use it. Don't use any "natural remedy"; it'll just ruin your skin. Stay with medication. DO NOT USE THIS PLEASE.

Ok...ACV is great for lots of things. I love it on my hair, in salad dressing, smoothies, etc. and in small quantities I'm sure it's not terrible for your skin....HOWEVER, BE CAREFUL!!! I had a skin infection about a month ago that left behind some sort of cyst...not painful, not anything really...you can't even really see it...I can only feel it when I touch my skin and although you would barely even know it's there...it bothers me that it's there. So after reading that acv can help heal it, I made the mistake of holding an acv soaked cotton ball on the "thing" for about 20 mins. It drew blood to the surface of the bump and left the surrounding skin RAW AND BURNT...it looks like road rash or something. Needless to say, i won't be listening to anymore of these "diy" skin gurus. There's a reason for dermatologists and aestheticians. There's a reason that things like benzoyl peroxide have been used to cure acne for years---they work. It's proven. I started trying to ween myself off of chemical products last year and my face was worse than ever. The "diy" treatments RUINED my skin. Only now that I've been using panoxyl for the past month has my skin become PERFECTLY clear again (minus this acv fiasco). Bottom line----make sure you have all the facts before you put food on your face.

Video Reviews & Tutorials