October 30, 2014 | 1648 users online

Sunscreen - Shiseido - Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion SPF 55 PA+++ [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 on 1/17/2010 4:26:00 AM More reviews by angerona

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a mandatory buy for me. It's non-greasy, feels like it's waterproof but I think its says its only water resistant (don't really care I just know that my guy friends, when they ran out of sunblock on a camping trip ended up using my sunblock for a hike and after hiking up a sweat storm and swimming they were impressed because the sunblock was still working since they weren't burned after only applying the product once) doesn't have that gross white residue like other sunblocks, no funky smells, has not caused me any funky breakouts (I have been using this for years though) and it does its job.
    Simply put it people can complain about the price but honestly the price is reasonable considering that it will last you a long time, and it protects your skin in the long run,-priceless right. I mean it you could only have one product that you could buy then it has to be this sunblock.
    I have pretty fair skin and this product has kept me sunburned free and is worth the money.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/15/2010 1:22:00 PM More reviews by marbella

This is my HG sunscreen and works so amazingly on my combo but incredibly oily T-zone skin - it is so light and does not add greasiness or shininess at all. In the winter, I use it over moisturizer and in the summer on its own. I have used one bottle every day for about two years now. I usually use jojoba oil as a pre-cleanse to get it off of my face at night. The only reason I won't be repurchasing is because I learned it doesn't have a high PPD which I prefer. This makes me sad, but I am trying LRP Anthelios Dermo Pediatrics SPF 50 from pharmazon.gr instead.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/6/2009 9:58:00 AM More reviews by luxferi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've been using this product for close to six months, and it still hasn't shown signs of finishing up. You get a lot of product out of this, that's for sure. I initially bought this to control my oiliness (especially around the nose area) and at the beginning, it did. Very, very well. Then, I don't know what happened and it doesn't control oil all that well anymore. I'm still using it because such a high SPF sunscreen never hurts anyone and I'm still so fair thanks to this. The only gripe I have about it is you have to use oil cleanser to remove it (according to the Shiseido SA anyway) so I always buy the Shiseido Ultimate Cleansing Oil. Marketing ploy? I don't know. I've tried googling the answer to no avail.

Application is easy, the small opening allows you to control the amount you want and blendibility is excellent. It kind of leaves a greasy film but I'm not too bothered by it as it disappears after a while (or buried under my foundation and loose powder). I'll think about repurchasing this - maybe Anessa will work better!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/27/2009 11:26:00 AM More reviews by carolino

This is the only sunscreen I can use on my face without breaking out!

Pros:
    - high sunscreen protection
    - greasy at first but dries fast
    - great under makeup if used with primer
    - doesn't break me out, even when I have major acne.. I can still use this without having any extra irritation or extra breakouts
    - doesn't rub off easily onto clothes like the neutrogena ones (example: such as leaving white marks after taking off a t-shirt)
    - doesn't sweat off and sting my eyes (it's highly water resistant, as promised)

Con:
    none.

Overall, I have been using this for about 5 years straight. I have yet to find something better.

Other sunscreen products I have tried:
    Neutrogena
    La Roche Posay
    Murad

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/26/2009 11:16:00 AM More reviews by firework_girl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I've just finished my bottle of this. Whilst it did offer good protection, I won't be buying again.
    It went on very smoothly & rubbed in easily. At first it felt a little greasy but that soon dried down & felt okay.
    Left me with a very white cast. I'm pretty pale anyway (NC15 or lighter) but this was serious pallor, even for me. That wasn't really an issue if I wore makeup over it, though. My main problem was that every time I wore this, I broke out along my jaw line. Luckily, it wasn't huge, painful, cystic acne but little spots under my skin. I'm very thorough about removing makeup & sunscreen, using Shu's cleasing oil & following up with my Lush Cleanser so not washing it off well enough didn't cause it. It's the only time a sunscreen has ever made me break out & I've tried a fair few.
    If your skin can play nicely with this, it really is a good sunscreen. Unfortunately, mine can't/won't so it's not for me.
    I've since moved on to Anessa Perfect Smooth, also by Shiseido. It protects as well as this, doesn't break me out & has the added bonus of making a fantastic primer.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/26/2009 1:07:00 AM More reviews by mad_cupcake

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

To put it simply, this does everything perfectly, only it breaks me out. It took a while for it to have its effect but in the end it just suffocated my skin. I took it off using my usual religious oil cleansing routine, and it still made my skin behave in the most bizarre way, like it would never feel dry and I developed nodule breakouts which I normally do not. For me it's like wearing plastic wrap. I think anyone without sensitive or breakout prone skin should give it a shot though. It really is an amazing product, as both a sunscreen and a primer, if your skin can handle it.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/11/2009 1:59:00 PM More reviews by dpav

After trying so many s/s that's giving me a white cast or the funny s/s smell, this is the one that I will come back to.

Pros:

* this is spf 55, good UVB protection. In particular, most of us do not apply enough s/s to archive the advertised UV protection level, buying one with high SPF will guarantee better protection even if you don't apply enough of it

* also, excellent UVA protection

* a stable UV formulate (according to skin deep)

* No oily feeling, a matte finish and no white cast. Very comfortable to wear this, non-sticky and fast absorbing. I know many other s/s may have better protection than this one; however, if you absolutely hates the formula and how it feels, how can you wear that EVERYDAY?

* physical s/s ingredient (most physical s/s gives you white cast, I don't know how Shiseido makes this one, but there is definitely no white cast)

* No problem using this on my eyes and even my lids; this formula also has one for the eyes, but why not just use this on the eyes, it's so much cheaper (well, comparing to the eye cream)

Cons:

* expensive, but it last you a long time, so I guess it's ok.
    * with this price, this only delivers sun protection, no vitamin, antioxidant or anything else, I think shiseido can do better than this

Pros and cons

Well, I know this is weird, what do I mean by pros and cons.

cons: this formula is very water resistant. And this is very true. You have to use makeup remover to remove it. The saleslady said I can just use my regular cleanser (water base) to wash this off, but this is not true. This really sticks to your skin and you need oil to remove that oil which means a makeup removing agent. so it's a bit troublesome especially on the days that I didn't wear any make up but I still can't skip the makeup removal step.

pros: At the same time, this is very water resistant, so you're safe to go to water with this. Excellent for swimming pool and beaches in the summer.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/4/2009 11:27:00 PM More reviews by Harlot

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Great sunscreen for people with oily skin. Very similar in texture (extremely lightweight) to the one by Remede but lacks the skin colored tint and you get more product for the money.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/22/2009 7:22:00 AM More reviews by peanut123

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I think it is very fair for me to write a review on this sunscreen. I have been using this on and off since college years. That was a present given by my mother when I left home. My mother is almost 60 years old but she can easily pass for late 40's, good looking woman. So I guess you all know her secret. her secret has been passed to her daughters. The packaging of the sunscreen changed over the years too.
    It is very liquidy. I use about 1/2 teaspoon for both face and neck. I pat it on gently and let it set for about 10 minutes, sometimes less. Then I'll go around eating breakfast, drying my hair, getting changed etc. Then I will put my makeup on. The makeup lasts very long using this and looks really good too. I only use the foundation as concealer. The sunscreen itself makes me look like I have good skin already.
    Now that I am getting older, I need to put a drop of oil underneath for additional moisture. I might consider switching to the cream version. And i am sure it will not disappoint me.
    I have tried euro sunscreens as liked by a lot of MUAers. As much as I want to love them as much as my Shiseido, I cannot. I just cannot deal with the mid day greasiness, and the annoyance of balling up etc etc. I don't want to test my patience especially on a day when I have to wear makeup.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/16/2009 5:21:00 AM More reviews by ihatespots

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Pros- Lightweight, non greasy, good value for money, have not tanned in the 3 weeks of usage
    Cons- lotion spills all over the container when pouring out, very drying, skin developed a few flesh coloured bumps, flakey