Alba Botanica Sugar Cane Body Polish

4.4

Not tested on animals

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

The product: $7 for 10 ounces. Comes in a great big tub, but it is very necessary because this is a thick, tacky product that could never be applied from a pump. The consistency is almost like someone dumped sugar into a vat of vaseline, and a little goes a long way, because the granules are not sparsely dispersed - every dab of this product is gritty. It has a fragrance like sugary honey which did not irritate me, but would not be palatable for someone who dislikes sweet, foody scents.

My experience: This is definitely not a product to use if you want your body scrub to rinse cleanly. Since the Sugar Cane Body Polish is made almost entirely of oils and sugar, this does leave behind residue. For me, that residue plus the scrubbing action made my skin feel SO soft. Every time I use this I marvel how smooth and soft this leaves my body. The silica granules (these are the actual exfoliating grains in this product, not sugar crystals) are not rough at all, unlike the crushed shells other companies use in their scrubs (I'm looking at YOU, St. Ives) and the sunflower oil does a nice job of cleaning and cleansing the skin, too.

Ingredients: Certified organic helianthus annuus (sunflower) oil, certified organic saccharum officinarum (sugar cane) juice, silica, aleurites moluccana (kukui nut) and macadamia ternifolia oils, honey, tocopherol (vitamin E), and botanical fragrance. continued >>

I just bought this scrub and, while it isn't THE perfect scrub, it comes pretty close. First of all, the price is really good for the size of the product. This scrub is on the gentler side and the sugar granuals disappear pretty quickly if you put this on while under the running water. It does manage to scrub the skin well, though. The scrub is in an oily base which lingers after the sugar granuals are gone. The oily base will stay on after the shower but it is not an oily or greasy feeling. I have sensitive skin and do not like putting cream lotion on my body because it leaves a sticky and heavy feeling on my skin. Oddly, this oil does not bother me at all and it actually invigorates my skin. I felt really relaxed after I used this product...probably becasue my skin is moistured from the oil.

One gripe about the packaging, which is not specific to this product, but when scrubs (or any product) come in a tub, water easily gets in the tub and I am just worried about the sugar melting from the water. I had to tip over the tub a few times to get the water out.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Great scrub. Exfoliates well and leaves skin so soft and smooth. The granules are bigger than I would prefer so should be careful not to scrub/rub too hard. This should be kept in a dry place because it can develop mold around and in the jar. Reasonably priced. Definite repurchase.

Decided to try this for my very dry winter skin recently. Worked great as an exfoliator and moisturized wonderfully. It also smells "like dessert" according to my husband. He walked into the room to smell my arm about every 5 minutes the first time I tried it. I am sold and will continue to buy. Saves me a step, too, as I don't need lotion after this, even in dry climates. It was a bit "expensive" for my cheap tastes hehe, but at 11-13$, I think it will last me about a month.

I absolutely love this scrub. it smells good, exfoliated well, and is not too harsh on sensitive skin. Sometimes I prefer sugar over salt scrubs because it is a little more gentle. Before this i used BBW's true blue spa need a margarita scrub which was no where near as good as this one and a lot more expensive. Overall a great product at a very reasonable price and I like the fact that the Alba line is natural and mostly organic too!

This a really nice body scrub. It's very scrubby, very moisturising, and it smells very yummy!

nothing special. yes it smells great, but it isnt as SCRUBBY as i'd like, and though mine didnt rot like another reviewer's, the sides of the lid, inside, got disgusting and mouldy and scummy in the shower. it also leaves an oily film on skin (negates the need for moisturizer which is a plus). it seems to be discountinued.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This is just about the only retail scrub I've come across that is reasonably priced and a joy to use. I love the fact that it exfoliates two ways - physically and with enzymes (from extracts). AND, the fragrance is just scrumptious. It seems to be getting more and more difficult to find, though. PLEEZ Alba, do NOT discontinue this gem of a scrub...

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

i love this scrub! its not too oily- you wont find a layer or oil sitting on top, its gentle to use everyday, its mainly organic- 94%, and it smells great- like sugar cane and honey. i got mine for 12 usd at an organic food store and it comes in a large 10 oz tub.
ingredients- sunflower oil, organic sugar cane juice, silica, kukui nut and macadamia nut oils, honey, vit. e, and botanical fragrance

This scrub is different than most of the scrubs that I get from my favorite etailers, but I really do love it. I think what makes it especially good is that it's not just a scrub that exfoliates physically - like with sugar or salt, although it is scrubby - but it also uses sugar cane extract, which I think is an aha. I really like the way it smells too.

I'm a little worried though. I always picked it up at Safeway and/or Whole Foods and I'm having a heck of a time finding it now. I REALLY hope they aren't discontinuing it!