Neostrata Ultra-Smoothing Cream (10% Glycolic Acid)

4.5

NeoStrata 10AHA Ultra Smoothing CreamIngredients: Aqua (Water), Glycolic Acid, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth-20, Decyl Oleate, Isopropyl Palmitate, Citric Acid, Propylene Glycol, Isocetyl Stearate, Ammonium Hydroxide, Arginine, Isostearic Acid, Dimethicone, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Dicetyl Phosphate, Ceteth-10 Phosphate, Shea Butter (Butyrospermum Parkii), Phenoxyethanol, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Xanthan Gum, Disodium EDTA, Chlorphenesin, Methylparaben.

on 4/20/2013 10:15:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

After years of trying a billion and one different moisturizers with the hope that they would actually help my skin instead of leaving just a fine layer of goo on my face, I think I may have found my HG moisturizer. I don't throw around the "HG!!" phrase lightly either.

I've been battling acne and brown marks for eons. I've tried everything under the sun to stop breakouts and prevent the tell tale signs of their presence on my face and nothing has worked. I came here to see what indie/cult product has the best reviews and found Neostrata. I was a tad skeptical because of the price tag so I opted to get four small samples first. I've been using this for about a month and my skin is noticeably softer and brighter. Brown marks that have been on my face for the past six months are also noticeably lighter.

When I first received this, I wasn't sure how I was going to incorporate it into my skin care regimen because I use the Erno Laszlo system. If you're an Erno devotee, you know that deviating from the system is a no-no. I decided to throw caution to the wind and began using this instead of my Active Phelityl lotion during the day (or at night if I go out during the day). Doing the Erno system twice a day along with this lotion has helped my skin greatly. Don't get me wrong, I still get breakouts but they are fewer and far between and they no longer require their own zip code.

While I do love this lotion, there are a few downsides. Yes, it can burn like the dickens especially if you have a freshly popped zit or a cut on your finger (it has citrus acid in it after all). The tingling/burning is typically pretty mild and subsides once your skin gets used it. It also isn't the most pleasant smelling moisturizer on the planet but the smell does dissipate quickly. I've also found that I cannot wear this under makeup because I end up looking like a glazed donut. I also can't slather this on twice a day because I end up with odd, under the skin bumps around my jawline. As far as helping to prevent blackheads, I haven't seen a decrease in the appearance of blackheads on my nose so I still need Biore or silver powder. The last downside to this product is the price. Yes, it's expensive but I think it's worth the price because very little is needed and it works.

Despite the cons, this is still an awesome, awesome moisturizer that I would recommend to anyone battling acne or wants to oomph up their skin. I believe it really does help my skin and I plan on buying a full sized bottle as soon as my samples run out. It's a shame that products like these aren't touted in Allure or other beauty magazines because Neostrata is definitely one of the better, lesser known products out there. Thankfully MUAers are on the ball and really know their stuff when it comes to hidden gems. Thanks again, ladies!

on 3/29/2013 6:49:00 PM

Having read the reviews,i bought this product.After 1 month of use,people told me that my face looked more radiant and it's true.My dullness was less but I expected even more about the quality of my skin which has just begun presented the very first tiny lines between my eyebrows and some blemishes which haven't faded.Having tried many products I know I can't expect miracles but i 'd love a really noticeable difference.This product is more effective than others which are more expensive.

on 3/18/2013 2:28:00 AM

After using it for about two months, I'm pretty confident in saying that this thing is the best skin exfoliating product I've ever encounter. It's simple, effective, but also mild. The blackheads on my nose are completely gone. And my skin has not been irritated from it, although first time users of AHA may experience some stinging sensation.

The formula is creamy, but it's not overly moisturizing to oily and combination skin. Personally I think it's better than the BHA exfoliators from Paula's Choice. No idea why because BHA is supposed to work better on oily skin with enlarged pores. I love it very much and highly recommend it to people with all skin types to try out.

on 2/8/2013 12:32:00 PM

I began using this back in the '90's on recommendation by my dermatologist. I've gone without it from time to time by I always come back to using it. The great thing about how good this is for your skin is that the results are for real. This cream fixes problem skin or simply improves upon already good skin. I use it under makeup mixed with a little sunscreen and again at night on it's own. I keep it away from my eye area as it can be a tad irritating. I also use the Neostrata Peel which is another amazing step in beautiful skin.

on 2/8/2013 12:05:00 PM

This has been a lifesaver for my dry, tired skin.

Price: This stuff runs 30-some dollars for a full tube, not outrageous when you consider the amount you get and what it does.

Packaging: bare bones, very basic. It's okay--I don't need fancy jars.

Product: I picked up a 5-pack sample of this on ebay after desperately searching the internet (and MUA) for solutions to my dry, flaky winter skin. I tried exfoliating scrubs, La Mer, a bunch of "dry skin" labeled stuff (including several products by Dermalogica that are far more expensive) and was still waking every morning to flakes, and finding them on my face by mid afternoon. Not everyone's skin may be able to tolerate glycolic acid, but after three weeks of using this once a day (before bed), I can honestly say my skin looks brighter, clearer, less dry and less run down. The texture of my face has also greatly improved, as the skin on my cheeks and forehead feels so smooth. I like that this is a cream and not anything I have to apply and wash off, and I also like that it exfoliates without being a scrub.

As a sidenote, this gets some criticism online as it is really 8% glycolic acid / 2% citric, but as I stated earlier, if you're not sure about how your skin will handle glycolic, it's probably better to start low. It definitely tingles a bit when on. As another note, it also has a slightly weird smell, but it's given me such results that I can overlook it. A+.

on 1/1/2013 10:43:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

What a fantastic product for the quality and price, I've been using mine almost twice daily for almost a year and it still has a ton of product left. I truly feel like this has improved the overall quality of my skin and left it finer and brighter. When I have breakouts and use it I even feel like it helps clear them up faster. Yes it will tend to tingle a little (especially if you used it all over your face) especially the eye area but for me it's not uncomfortable, if it truly bothers you it helps to put an eyecream or serum on afterwards (this product is better for refinishing/clarifying the skin, for moisturizing it's good to use something else on top).

on 11/20/2012 9:25:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

If you're serious about skincare, skip the glamorous brands and get onto prescription or prescription-grade products to get your money's worth.
Neostrata glycolic products are spectacular to thin out the the skin and make it look smooth and polished. Really amazing stuff.
I use in the mornings, with a vitamin c or hyaluronic serum (depending on dryness. I regulate use with nightime retinoic acid (NOT the weaker retinol) as prescribed by a dermatologist, making sure I don't overcharge my skin so it doesn't get irritated.
This is really the only way to get real results, it's a shame the information doesn't get out there and people spend so much money on phoney products.

on 9/25/2012 9:04:00 PM

I've been using this on and off for 15 years. Sometimes I run out and don't re-purchase for a while, when I do get some more, I am always shocked at the overnight improvement of my skin! It makes it so smooth!

Now that I'm in my 30s and starting to get some fine lines, I will never lapse again- I'll be using this wonderful product for a long time to come!

on 9/18/2012 2:01:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This stuff is fantastic. I used the daytime smoothing cream [with an SPF of 15] in the pump bottle, level 3 [10% glycolic acid]. I had never used GA before, but it only stung - minorly - for a few minutes at the first application, and then never again. But most bizarrely, after only a few days it made my acne-prone, bumpy skin, REMARKABLY smoother one one side [after nothing else had worked!] I was shocked, but the price tag was just not cutting it [CAD$40 before tax], and I only used it for a few weeks before starting Retin-A and ordering the MUCH bigger bottle of 10% AHA+ by acne.org, which I now use on my body and sparingly on my face [don't want to overdo it!]

Point being, it did something when nothing else did - for acne and clogged pores, at least try it. Sensitive skinned individuals, ramp up from a lower concentration. Highly impressed, definitely recommend.

on 9/18/2012 1:13:00 PM

I have used the lotion version but i do use this cream for the extra concentration and "oomph" when required.
Helped clear my skin in days and prevent major oily puss like zits forming.
I had clear skin til 29 years of age and suddenly developed adult acne with big white heads but after using this and the lotion version it cleared up my skin 60%.
only down side is the smell and stinging but it does subside after a week or so, just be very vigilant and religious with it.
It doesnt thin yourmskin, it makes ur cell turn over faster with the aha in it.
Highly recommend this holdy grail prodcut, though hard to find in australia i found it at chemist warehouse hidden away.
Acne scars healed incredibly and prevents the nasty zits i used to get, and disappears much faster during my period.
Used with clarisonic cleanser andniuse the cream or lotion version of this excellent product, after spending a fortune on precription medicine, topical prescription treatments n facials! This has worked the best n gave my confidence back!
Give it a go, MU saved my skin!

Popular Moisturizers