Neostrata Ultra-Smoothing Cream (10% Glycolic Acid)

4.5

Ingredients: Aqua (Water), Glycolic Acid, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth-20, Decyl Oleate, Isopropyl Palmitate, Citric Acid, Propylene Glycol, Isocetyl Stearate, Ammonium Hydroxide, Arginine, Isostearic Acid, Dimethicone, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Dicetyl Phosphate, Ceteth-10 Phosphate, Shea Butter (Butyrospermum Parkii), Phenoxyethanol, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Xanthan Gum, Disodium EDTA, Chlorphenesin, Methylparaben.

on 2/8/2013 12:32:00 PM

I began using this back in the '90's on recommendation by my dermatologist. I've gone without it from time to time by I always come back to using it. The great thing about how good this is for your skin is that the results are for real. This cream fixes problem skin or simply improves upon already good skin. I use it under makeup mixed with a little sunscreen and again at night on it's own. I keep it away from my eye area as it can be a tad irritating. I also use the Neostrata Peel which is another amazing step in beautiful skin.

on 2/8/2013 12:05:00 PM

This has been a lifesaver for my dry, tired skin.

Price: This stuff runs 30-some dollars for a full tube, not outrageous when you consider the amount you get and what it does.

Packaging: bare bones, very basic. It's okay--I don't need fancy jars.

Product: I picked up a 5-pack sample of this on ebay after desperately searching the internet (and MUA) for solutions to my dry, flaky winter skin. I tried exfoliating scrubs, La Mer, a bunch of "dry skin" labeled stuff (including several products by Dermalogica that are far more expensive) and was still waking every morning to flakes, and finding them on my face by mid afternoon. Not everyone's skin may be able to tolerate glycolic acid, but after three weeks of using this once a day (before bed), I can honestly say my skin looks brighter, clearer, less dry and less run down. The texture of my face has also greatly improved, as the skin on my cheeks and forehead feels so smooth. I like that this is a cream and not anything I have to apply and wash off, and I also like that it exfoliates without being a scrub.

As a sidenote, this gets some criticism online as it is really 8% glycolic acid / 2% citric, but as I stated earlier, if you're not sure about how your skin will handle glycolic, it's probably better to start low. It definitely tingles a bit when on. As another note, it also has a slightly weird smell, but it's given me such results that I can overlook it. A+.

on 1/1/2013 10:43:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

What a fantastic product for the quality and price, I've been using mine almost twice daily for almost a year and it still has a ton of product left. I truly feel like this has improved the overall quality of my skin and left it finer and brighter. When I have breakouts and use it I even feel like it helps clear them up faster. Yes it will tend to tingle a little (especially if you used it all over your face) especially the eye area but for me it's not uncomfortable, if it truly bothers you it helps to put an eyecream or serum on afterwards (this product is better for refinishing/clarifying the skin, for moisturizing it's good to use something else on top).

on 11/20/2012 9:25:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

If you're serious about skincare, skip the glamorous brands and get onto prescription or prescription-grade products to get your money's worth.
Neostrata glycolic products are spectacular to thin out the the skin and make it look smooth and polished. Really amazing stuff.
I use in the mornings, with a vitamin c or hyaluronic serum (depending on dryness. I regulate use with nightime retinoic acid (NOT the weaker retinol) as prescribed by a dermatologist, making sure I don't overcharge my skin so it doesn't get irritated.
This is really the only way to get real results, it's a shame the information doesn't get out there and people spend so much money on phoney products.

on 9/25/2012 9:04:00 PM

I've been using this on and off for 15 years. Sometimes I run out and don't re-purchase for a while, when I do get some more, I am always shocked at the overnight improvement of my skin! It makes it so smooth!

Now that I'm in my 30s and starting to get some fine lines, I will never lapse again- I'll be using this wonderful product for a long time to come!

on 9/18/2012 2:01:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This stuff is fantastic. I used the daytime smoothing cream [with an SPF of 15] in the pump bottle, level 3 [10% glycolic acid]. I had never used GA before, but it only stung - minorly - for a few minutes at the first application, and then never again. But most bizarrely, after only a few days it made my acne-prone, bumpy skin, REMARKABLY smoother one one side [after nothing else had worked!] I was shocked, but the price tag was just not cutting it [CAD$40 before tax], and I only used it for a few weeks before starting Retin-A and ordering the MUCH bigger bottle of 10% AHA+ by acne.org, which I now use on my body and sparingly on my face [don't want to overdo it!]

Point being, it did something when nothing else did - for acne and clogged pores, at least try it. Sensitive skinned individuals, ramp up from a lower concentration. Highly impressed, definitely recommend.

on 9/18/2012 1:13:00 PM

I have used the lotion version but i do use this cream for the extra concentration and "oomph" when required.
Helped clear my skin in days and prevent major oily puss like zits forming.
I had clear skin til 29 years of age and suddenly developed adult acne with big white heads but after using this and the lotion version it cleared up my skin 60%.
only down side is the smell and stinging but it does subside after a week or so, just be very vigilant and religious with it.
It doesnt thin yourmskin, it makes ur cell turn over faster with the aha in it.
Highly recommend this holdy grail prodcut, though hard to find in australia i found it at chemist warehouse hidden away.
Acne scars healed incredibly and prevents the nasty zits i used to get, and disappears much faster during my period.
Used with clarisonic cleanser andniuse the cream or lotion version of this excellent product, after spending a fortune on precription medicine, topical prescription treatments n facials! This has worked the best n gave my confidence back!
Give it a go, MU saved my skin!

on 8/12/2012 5:40:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Cool

I am concerned about the reviews I have read that describe this product as "thinning" the skin. I make sure that I use sunscreen to counteract.

However, I also agree that it works really well, seems to get rid of all those unsightly discolourations and smooth the skin texture and appearance. I will seriously consider continuing with this product - very happy with the results and price.

Somebody - please assure me about the skin "thinning"!

on 4/12/2012 9:08:00 AM

After reading reviews, I was worried that my sensitive skin wouldn't be able to tolerate this product. This winter, I have had MAJOR skin problems...breakouts, dry, scaly forehead...and within just a few days of using this lotion, my skin was soft, smooth, and cleared up. I'm not one to believe in miracle products, but this has been one for me! It does tingle quite a bit, even itchy right after applying some nights. But it calms down pretty quickly, and the results are amazing. Would highly recommend.

on 4/5/2012 9:04:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

No just no instead it made my skin oilier, upon applying this cream my face instantly feels fresh but after 4 hours i totally look like a glazed doughnut.