April 19, 2014 | 1219 users online

Pressed Powders - MAC - Blot Powder - Medium

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/6/2012 1:47:00 PM More reviews by italiana800

Since I don't really have oily skin, I bought this to mostly just get rid of some extra shine from my foundation throughout the day. This did keep the oil away for a good amount of time, but it kind of made my face look powdery. & I barely put that much on my face. Even though this is supposed to be a "translucent" powder, it still can affect the color of your makeup if you get the wrong shade. That leads me to my next point, for such a raving product..why would Mac make the color shades not match the shade names? For example, I'm ususally medium in most makeup. So, I bought this in the color Medium (like any other normal person would do). This color is wayyy too light for my skin & it almost tones down my foundation (which is pretty light in the first place) to look white & chalky. Yes, this definitely left a bit of a white cast on my face. So, this really isn't all that "translucent", if it was, Mac wouldn't have the need to make this in 5 different shades. Since this wasn't that cheap enough for me to deal with this being just an okay product, I'm going to try exchanging this color out for the Medium-Dark to see if I like it better then. But, as far as Mac goes....they really need to get the CORRECT color names on their products. It's kind of annoying that I have to go out of my way to find my correct color match, just because Mac didn't label their products right.

FYI: This DOES control oil very well, but this was just the wrong color match for me. You have to be extremely pale for this color to work. Which is why I gave this color a 3 out of 5. If I were to rate the Mac Blot powder in Medium-Dark as a whole, I would give it a 4.5 out of 5.

**UPDATE:** I exchanged this color out for the medium-dark. I like the medium-dark a lot more, it matched my skin tone way better. I tested the oil control/lasting power of my makeup by wearing this to work from morning until night. It was AMAZING. My face stayed oil free for pretty much the whole day (about 8 hours) without any touch ups. After about 8 hours, very little shine was glowing through. But, it wasn't a nasty oily shine, it was more like a nice, natural dewyness...which I don't mind at all & I actually prefer it. This even made my blush last a lot longer too. I'm impressed. The only thing I will say is that this will make you look cakey if you use too much, which can easily be done without realizing at first. I would also reccommend that you go one color up than usual.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/28/2012 10:34:00 PM More reviews by Kyuu17

This is the best blot powder that i've tried. I bought cover girl pressed powder (the blue one) it was recommended by the S.A coz it's good for oily skin, but it was awful! not worth the price! I had to reapply it every 10 minutes! but with the Mac blot powder, i only need to reapply twice or thrice a day... If you have large visible pores like me, I would recommend using the blot powder and clinique instant pore minimizer.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/9/2012 4:37:00 PM More reviews by rynamyn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I had high hopes for this based on reviews but unfortunately I don't any difference to any other non-blotting powder... I have pretty oily skin & am generally shiny only 3-4hrs after applying my makeup in the morning. Prior to purchasing this blot powder, I would just use a blotting sheet, apply touchup of powder and then have to do the same thing a few hours later. I was hoping with this powder that I could prolong the amount of time it takes before touching up but that's not the case. Also, I don't like the puff included and find that using it results in a cakey look, so definitely use a brush with this powder.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/27/2012 4:21:00 AM More reviews by DummyDumb

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I'm surprised that this product has received such raving reviews because it does very little for me. It's not completely useless, but as far as I'm concerned, it's not much different from any regular face powder except that it provides even less coverage. I guess I was disappointed because I had been using simple cornstarch for shine control with a lot more success, but I was encouraged by the overwhelmingly positive reviews of the blot powder so I thought I'd give it a try. Now I'll go back to my good old cornstarch.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/9/2011 7:16:00 AM More reviews by caz5000

This is the first Mac product that's actually made me think it was worth the money.

My skin is NC-20ish and the medium shade is perfect.

My skin is very oily, sometimes I use this to set my make up if I need it but lately I've just been using this to blot excess oil after using a blotting sheet later in the day. The result is good for an hour or two then I need to use it again. Performs better than most blotting powder I've used.

I would definitely buy again, I would like another to keep in my handbag

rated 4 of 5 on 7/17/2011 4:09:00 PM More reviews by lucyjade

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

So I've used this product for about 2 years now and think it's time to finally review..
I don't use this product to 'set' my makeup after applying (I use a translucent powder), however as my face is a total greaseball after about 2 hours I use this product to remove the oil... and reapply every 1-2 hours throughout the day. The compact fits easily in your handbag, and comes with a little powder puff and a mirror which is great if you need to use it on the go, however I apply it with a small powder brush as I find that it gives a lighter application. Sometimes when I've used the puff that it comes with, it gives me a bit of a cakey look which isn't very attractive.
I would like to mention that I am unfortuantly a bit of a makeup snob, after using loads of cheaper brands and being rewarded with lovely acne spots I finally decided to invest in better quality products including this one, however some of my friends use the Collection 2000 blot powder and RAVE about it so I might give that a try - for 15 cheaper it's definately worth a go! This powder doesn't break me out which is great, however for the money I would expect something a little more longer-lasting.
Bottom line: I don't think that I will purchase again, because even though the compact lasts forever (like 6 months with everyday use! yay!), it just doesn't seem to keep my oilyness under control. Think it might be time to move on..

rated 5 of 5 on 6/10/2011 5:21:00 PM More reviews by Loriboo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I've just recently started using this and I must say that I am in LOVE!!! My face is oily only on my cheeks and forehead but my nose area is VERY dry. So I use it all over my face except on my nose.

Before I started using this, I noticed that my foundation would be almost completely gone by the end of the day so I decided to purchase this. Now my foundation stays on longer and I love that it makes my face looks soft and smooth. Even my husband noticed the difference. He asked me if I had bought new makeup and I said "Yes, a powder from MAC" He said "It looks really good. U should keep buying it." :)

rated 5 of 5 on 4/5/2011 8:49:00 PM More reviews by jc2729

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I LOVE this powder!! I use it to set my liquid foundation (a dewy one) every morning. I've gone from using 5-6 blotting papers a day to maybe one! just from using it in the morning! Instead of being an oil slick at the end of the day I have at most a slight sheen. This powder is amazing!!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/13/2011 7:11:00 AM More reviews by Luciel86

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Green

I absolutely LOVE this product. I have a combination, very pale skin with oily T-zone. I have finally found something that works great! It lasts hours and I only use it twice a day. My HG powder, very finely milled, good colour...I recommend this to anybody!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/2/2011 6:00:00 PM More reviews by linbloom

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

LOVE!